Author Topic: So, what are you reading in 2017?  (Read 6893 times)  

Offline Tahereh K.V. Dehkordi

• Mashhad
  • Pen the best tool
    • View Profile
    • dastanan
Re: So, what are you reading in 2017?
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:21 AM »
The Masnavi poem book. It is full of nice and meaningful stories. Many of its stories is conveyed through dialogues presented by its characters.
archaeology, astronomy and biology are in the same way: being human
http://www.enahang.ir/dastanan.htm

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith.

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline katliss

• View Profile
    • Katrina Liss
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Just finished Pepper Winters Crown of Lies. Kind of disappointed at the ending. Not desperate to read part two atm. But I guess i will.

Katrina Liss

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
Armada by Ernest Cline. It's the follow-up to the excellent Ready Player One. Really enjoying it.

Natasha Holme, Author

Online CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 02:44:05 AM »
Armada by Ernest Cline. It's the follow-up to the excellent Ready Player One. Really enjoying it.

A great pair of stories, although I listened to them on Audible.

Have just started A Tale of Two Cities...... on Kindle as I've not read any Dickens for years.  Also just started a Kim Stanley Robinson on Audible:

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2017, 06:23:44 AM »
Steve Berry's latest Cotton Malone thriller was released this week and I couldn't put it down until finished.  If you are a fan of history-based thrillers, a la Steve Berry and Dan Brown, I thought this one is one of Berry's best!  The fictional story in light of current U.S. political posturing really grabbed me.  I also enjoyed Berry's remarks after the story finished.  He goes through most of the main plot points and cites his research as to what are facts interwoven with the fiction.

One interesting fact that is part of the story that I did not know is that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is automatically the Chancellor of the Smithsonian.

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »
Steve Berry's latest Cotton Malone thriller was released this week and I couldn't put it down until finished.  If you are a fan of history-based thrillers, a la Steve Berry and Dan Brown, I thought this one is one of Berry's best!  The fictional story in light of current U.S. political posturing really grabbed me.  I also enjoyed Berry's remarks after the story finished.  He goes through most of the main plot points and cites his research as to what are facts interwoven with the fiction.

One interesting fact that is part of the story that I did not know is that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is automatically the Chancellor of the Smithsonian.

I read the first of that series and then just haven't gotten back -- though I recall I liked it. I'll have to get back into it. :) I think this is another case of "so many books/series; so little time!" ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »
I read the first of that series and then just haven't gotten back -- though I recall I liked it. I'll have to get back into it. :) I think this is another case of "so many books/series; so little time!" ;D

I confess to being a big Steve Berry fan, so he is an auto-buy for me.  I know some folks will say the $14.99 release price is out of their Kindle-price comfort range, but it's still less than I would have paid for the hardback and there are 4 (including me) people on my account that were/are all reading it as soon as it was available.  So, definitely worth the money to us rather than waiting in the long, long library line.

The Jefferson Key was probably my least favorite of the Cotton Malone books because it was less believable, but as I said earlier, I think The Lost Order may be one of his best.  The historical facts woven into a modern-day scenario are fascinating.  I highly recommend you get back into the series!
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 05:57:59 AM »
I confess to being a big Steve Berry fan, so he is an auto-buy for me.  I know some folks will say the $14.99 release price is out of their Kindle-price comfort range, but it's still less than I would have paid for the hardback and there are 4 (including me) people on my account that were/are all reading it as soon as it was available.  So, definitely worth the money to us rather than waiting in the long, long library line.

The Jefferson Key was probably my least favorite of the Cotton Malone books because it was less believable, but as I said earlier, I think The Lost Order may be one of his best.  The historical facts woven into a modern-day scenario are fascinating.  I highly recommend you get back into the series!

I'm also a lapsed Cotton Malone fan. In fact The Jefferson Key is next for me - I bought it a while ago but haven't read it yet. The plus side of being way behind in the series is that the earlier books are considerably cheaper than the new release.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

Viva la revolucion!

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
I just finished which is volume 2 of the series; you should start here:

The series defies categorization -- elements of fantasy, steam punk, classic mystery, sci fi . . . Kindle editions aren't cheap, at $11.99 but volume one occasionally goes on sale, and they are available through Overdrive. I've already got on the queue for volume 3 at my locals. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »
I just finished which is volume 2 of the series; you should start here:

The series defies categorization -- elements of fantasy, steam punk, classic mystery, sci fi . . . Kindle editions aren't cheap, at $11.99 but volume one occasionally goes on sale, and they are available through Overdrive. I've already got on the queue for volume 3 at my locals. :)

On am next on waiting list at library for the first in series then if I like it I will buy the others.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
I am reading The Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett. I'm only about 20% in, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2017, 05:13:09 AM »
I am reading The Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett. I'm only about 20% in, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I read this series - The Lymond Chronicles - many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - and the author's other series Niccolo. Neither of them are by any means light reading in any sense. (Pre-kindle, even the paperbacks were like doorstops). The wealth of historical detail, the complexity yet subtlety of plot are unrivalled. But if you love your history and a good, (very) long, intelligent yarn then I urge you to give them a go.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
I read this series - The Lymond Chronicles - many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - and the author's other series Niccolo. Neither of them are by any means light reading in any sense. (Pre-kindle, even the paperbacks were like doorstops). The wealth of historical detail, the complexity yet subtlety of plot are unrivalled. But if you love your history and a good, (very) long, intelligent yarn then I urge you to give them a go.

Looks like I bought it 5 and a half years to go. I suppose this means I should move it up the TBR pile. ::) :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline DmGuay

• OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
I got some recommendations on Goodreads lately, and I totally loved all the books so I thought I'd share.  Most fall into PNR or dark fantasy genres...

Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep-- superhero/reporter  love story with a lot of humor and a well-done plot

Nerd in Shining Armor by Vicki Lewis Thompson-- funny and fun love story of a nerd and his crush stranded on a Hawaiian island after a plane crash.

The Young Elites by Marie Lu-- very dark fantasy. Virus ravages mankind, some kids get super powers

Laerka by Laura Bendoly -- A retelling of The Little Mermaid, with human trafficking theme, set in modern-day Savannah,Georgia.

Also, a lady in my writing group just released something that is totally not my normal genre, but I'm intrigued enough to at least check it out. Middle grade Christian fantasy, with a coloring book! Yeah. Curiosity piqued.  GNOMELING, THE TALES OF CHRISTIAN TOMPTA,
Jesse Resurrected. Guardians of Salt Creek Book 2: 100%

Charity, Unchained: Guardians of Salt Creek historical novel: 10%

Jesse, Released: Guardians of Salt Creek book 3: 30%
D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Leighhecking

• Rutherford, NJ
    • View Profile
    • Leigh Hecking
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Just finished reading Strange the Dreamer and loved it.  I stayed up late to finish reading it.  The short chapters and interesting characters made it impossible to put down.

Leigh Hecking

Offline LGOULD

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
I've been enjoying I Am Brian Wilson, in which the creative genius of the Beach Boys provides an amazingly revealing portrait of his personal and professional ups and downs, as well as his lifelong struggle with mental illness.

Offline tessa j jones

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

Recently, I read Lunora and the Monster King by H.S. Crow

It was brilliant, honestly one of the best reads me and my daughter have had. I tried going on reddit to search for other books like it, but this is actually one of those rare books that has nothing to compare it to... I guess if I were to say similarity, I'd give it a cross between Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and Beauty and the Beast, but even those comparisons give it no justice.  :(

I wanted to share my experience, and connect with other readers that also read this book. I'm also a huge fan of His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, and George Orwell's 1984 <3

Check the goodreads where I wrote a lovely Review: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34776015-lunora-and-the-monster-king

Amazon link in case you liked it, but I think there's a giveaway on goodreads that H.S. Crow announced. I'm not totally sure about it... but it's worth a check. Either way, I highly recommend the paperback because of the artistic and beautiful placement of the art inside the book. I felt that the kindle took away from it, but 99cents was a good investment to check out if the book was worth the buy, and it was.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998822515/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0998822515&linkCode=as2&tag=crow089-20&linkId=e64b97c8e1178de44f8e2ab100e1180a

**Art is not owned by me, it's owned by H.S. Crow and his artist Ashe**

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
I'm loving James Rollins' Sigma series. I'm on the 7th one in the series right now, Devil Colony.

Ellie
Under a Calico Moon: 78%

Highland Rogue: 30%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
Just started on Larry Bond's 'Red Phoenix'.  I read it years ago, but it turned up cheap on Kindle the other week along with a very delayed sequel.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »
Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer, a book written entirely in emails.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline DaveCullen

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Columbine
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
Lucia Berlin's "A Manual For Cleaning Women." (Short stories.)

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Lucia Berlin's "A Manual For Cleaning Women." (Short stories.)

Could you expand on that book title? ...

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
Ammonite by Nicola Griffith
(lesbian science-fiction)

Natasha Holme, Author