by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7762

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: So, what are you reading in 2017?  (Read 7788 times)  

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: So, what are you reading in 2017?
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
It's been ages since I posted, so here's a taste of what I've been reading. Another one of my long lists. Sorry!  :-[

The Seventh Plague: A Sigma Force Novel by James Rollins. Despite being the 12th in the series, the quality seems to be holding up. An enjoyable, if slightly implausible adventure romp.

Summary Justice by John Fairfax. An unusual murder trial - the defence barrister is himself a convicted murderer. I listened to the audiobook and thought it was pretty good.

Moral Defense (Samantha Brinkman Book 2) by Marcia Clark. Second in the Brinkman series, written by the real life prosecutor in the OJ Simpson trial. Her main protanganist in these books is a defence barrister. I have no idea how much of Ms. Clark's character is included in her fictional creation, but let's just say she's the kind of woman you'd want defending you, but not perhaps someone you'd actually want to be friends with. For more of an insight into her character, be sure to read book 1 in the series first.

High Force: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 5) by L J Ross. Police procedural / thriller. This book begins pretty much where the last one ended and finally brings that story arc to a conclusion. I'll be interested to see if the author continues with these characters in a different storyline.

And The Rest is History: Time Travel Meets History In This Explosive Bestselling Series (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 8 ) by Jodi Taylor. Yet another instalment in the continuing story of the disaster magnets of St Mary's. Lot's of laughs, despite quite a dark storyline at times. Many an unexpected turn of events, some resolved, some not. I loved it. I know some US readers have been unable to get the Kindle version because of formatting issues. I hope you get your St. Mary's fix soon!

Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. I've read most of Bill Bryson's books and can't think of one I didn't like. I read most of his travelogues pre Kindle days, but I realised recently this one had escaped the net and I managed to get the ebook from the library. I really enjoyed it - not only some fascinating facts about Australia, but he manages to be humourous without losing sight of the need to be informative.

Dying Games (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book 6) by Steve Robinson. An bit of a departure from the previous books in the series, in that there was very little historical element to this. Rather than having to sort out one single genealogical mystery, our hero has to work out several smaller ones - clues to where a serial killer will strike next, all the while knowing he's probably the last name on said list.

"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Every Seventh Wave by Daniel Glattauer--the sequel to Love Virtually--which is also written entirely as emails.

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline deckard

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
Rereading _For Whom the Bell Tolls_

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
Rereading _For Whom the Bell Tolls_

I really loved that book.

I'm reading Lizzie. I'm about 25% in and liking it so far.

Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
The Sixth Window by Rachel Abbott. One of her better books I think. The suspense builds and builds and with each new revelation you think you know who the bad guys are, but it keeps changing all the time. The twists keep on coming, right up to the last page. The main police characters are the same in each book, but the stories are stand alone - I don't think you need to have read any of the others (I haven't read them all) to enjoy this one. Recommended.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
I'm currently reading Emperor of the Fireflies by Sarah Ash.

It's the second book in her Tide Dragons series, based on Japanese mythology. The dragons are water-based rather than fiery. I really love the book, especially as one of the main characters is a Kitsune, or fox spirit!
Jessica Rydill | shamansland | Facebook

Offline happybana

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
A busy life, ADD, and the golden age of TV have conspired to keep me from finishing a book since the hunger games trilogy came out, but I am currently reading the following:

Carl Sagan / The Demon Haunted World
Margaret Atwood / The Handmaid's Tale
Giovanni Bocaccio / The Decameron
The Memoirs of Harriette Wilson Volumes One and Two Written By Herself

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline D.P. Prior

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
I am re-reading Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. In spite of reading it several times before, I'm still surprised by the prose and astonished by some of the ideas. It feels like the first time I've read some of the chapters.

I've also been dipping into some modern fantasy: John Gwynne (Malice), Daniel Abraham and one or two others. trying to reignite my former passion for the genre.
D.P. Prior was born in Eastbourne in the south of England, spent a few years in Australia, and now lives in Florida, USA. A former actor, musician, psychiatric nurse, personal trainer, and fiction editor, he now writes full-time.
Represented by Laurie McLean (http://fuseliterary.com)
D.P. Prior | Blog | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Instagram | Mailing List

Offline Thomas Watson

• Tucson, AZ USA
    • View Profile
    • Under Desert Stars
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:31 AM »
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Recently saw and enjoyed the film, and will soon be able to say I read and enjoyed the book. It's so often one or the other - this is a refreshing change.
Weblog - Under Desert Stars                     

Offline rishisriram

• Irving, TX
  • Author of Mystical Trials
    • View Profile
    • MysticalTrials
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan

Offline Jennifer R P

• Northern Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer R. Povey
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
Currently reading Diana Bastine's trilogy Source/Shapeshifter/Selkie (no series name). Sadly, I'm less than impressed :/.

Offline D.P. Prior

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Currently re-reading The Four men by Hilaire Belloc and Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton (for the umpteenth time). Needed a break from Fantasy fiction.
D.P. Prior was born in Eastbourne in the south of England, spent a few years in Australia, and now lives in Florida, USA. A former actor, musician, psychiatric nurse, personal trainer, and fiction editor, he now writes full-time.
Represented by Laurie McLean (http://fuseliterary.com)
D.P. Prior | Blog | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Instagram | Mailing List

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Currently, I've been making the most progress in A Warrior's Penance by Davis Ashura. It's the last book in a trilogy that I've enjoyed quite a bit.

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
To be honest this book isn't knew it was released in 2001 but it is still one I enjoy to this day, Touching Spirit Bear written by Ben Mikaelsen, I have read this book almost one thousand times over, I can never put it down, I am always drawn in my the story and how compelling the main character is.

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
    • Avis Black on Wordpress
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
I recently finished A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountians (Illustrated) by Isabella Bird.

Bird was an unsually adventurous women for her times, since she lived in the 1800s, and she travelled all over the world and wrote a whole string of books about what she saw.  Her books have been piled on my ereader for a long while, and I've finally gotten around to finishing one of them.  I thought it was a solid piece of work, if a little dry, and certainly not a picnic.  She spent a lot of time wandering around in freezing, near-blizzard conditions, which I can't imagine doing for the fun of it.  Nor can I imagine what Estes Park must have been like in the middle of winter in a shack with no central heating and very short rations.  Bird also came across several doubtful characters, including one notorious outlaw of her day.  All in all, I'd say it's a notch better than reading about what happened to the Donner Party. 

Bird is mentioned by W. H. Davenport Adams in his book Celebrated Women Travellers of the Nineteenth Century  The latter is a rare choice of topic for an author of his era.  I've read some of it, and my eventual goal is to slowly work my way through the original accounts written by these female explorers. 

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
You by Caroline Kepnes

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline AlexaBarret

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Professional Custom Writing Service
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2017, 05:53:36 AM »
 ;)
I`ve read such incredible one!!! Regina Brett God Never Blinks I`m impressed that`s why I`m reading it this year too. My recommendations! ;D
I believe in the sun, even when it's not shining.
I believe in love, even when I don't feel it.
I believe in God, even when He is silent.

Offline Carlton Isaac

• Here and Now
  • A simple man with complex interests...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2017, 05:58:26 AM »
Currently re-reading -

Next on the list to read -

Book 2: 75%

Book 3: 20%

Collection of Shorts Stories in the same universe: 50%
A simple man with complex interests, now that's a pretty balanced life.
Carlton Isaac

Offline Tuminz

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
I just read "Anger Management Made Simple" by John Galt. It was a fun read and I learned a lot of techniques to deal with some anger I have  :D. https://www.amazon.com/Anger-Management-Made-Simple-Irritation-ebook/dp/B0745GVTD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501285110&sr=8-1&keywords=anger+management+made

Offline A.Q.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »
Right now, I'm finishing up The Last Command, Book 3 of the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy (Timothy Zahn is an amazing author, btw)

I'm also about to embark on binge reading the Bosch series of crime novels. And then I'll probably go back an re-read a Peter Hamilton series - Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained, maybe
The Commonwealth Crisis: A Time to Kill: 20%
Bradley Hutchinson | Facebook

The Commonwealth Crisis: Prologue

Offline KatharineWolfe

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
I'm currently doing a reading challenge vs my mom to read 20 books in the rest of 2017. It's quite a loft goal, but I've got a stack of books ready to work through!

I'm currently reading: Roughing It in The Bush by Susanna Moodie.

Next I have:

11/22/63 by Stephen King
The Crimson Petal and the White by ? (Can't see it from here lol)
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
A book of Edgar Allen Poe's works
The Seamstress by ? (again, can't see it)
The Bride of New France
On Beulah Height
Book 3 and 4 of ASOIAF
Three non fiction books, one on 16th/17t/18th century pirates, one on vikings, and one on the history of seduction and seductresses. 

There's more books in that pile, but being that they are all in a pile, and I'm feeling sick, this scant information will have to do  :P

Offline LGOULD

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

Reading the first installment of "Game of Thrones" to find out what all the excitement is about. Open to suggestions as to whether reading or watching it is the best way to really get into it.

Offline Carlton Isaac

• Here and Now
  • A simple man with complex interests...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »
Reading the first installment of "Game of Thrones" to find out what all the excitement is about. Open to suggestions as to whether reading or watching it is the best way to really get into it.

Read the Books. Watching the show will get you only 20% of the real story and 80% of someone else's mediocre visualisation.
Book 2: 75%

Book 3: 20%

Collection of Shorts Stories in the same universe: 50%
A simple man with complex interests, now that's a pretty balanced life.
Carlton Isaac

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »

Read the Books. Watching the show will get you only 20% of the real story and 80% of someone else's mediocre visualisation.

I read book one . . . the characters I liked most all got killed in the end so I decided that I didn't need to read any further and I've had no desire to watch it either.

Though I did score a sweet GoT/Nats t-shirt at one of the games earlier this summer. Very cool. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline A.Q.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »
There are just so many characters in GoT that, were I inclined, I'd have no choice but to watch it - for that many characters, I need visual reminders of who is who and where they are and what their story is. When it comes to names, my memory isn't all that great
The Commonwealth Crisis: A Time to Kill: 20%
Bradley Hutchinson | Facebook

The Commonwealth Crisis: Prologue

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac