Author Topic: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.  (Read 8947 times)  

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
Hi and welcome to my diary as I prepare to fail in my Kindle Scout campaign.

This is a top secret account of my Kindle Scout thoughts and planning so don't even think about bookmarking it. 8)

I'll update this post with more information about the target once I have gathered more intelligence.

Target Book Title: "The Killdeer Connection"
Scout Genres: Literature and Fiction, Mystery and Thriller (legal).
Estimated Campaign Start Date: March 1, 2017

THE KILLDEER CONNECTION

1/23 (tagline finalized: Go to bed as a lawyer -> Wake up a terrorist!

2/22 (blurb finalized): "Burned-out lawyer David Thompson is on a mission to prove his innocence. Falsely accused of murder, he must desert his family to unearth the truth from a secret society of bird-watchers. When the feds talk of adding a terrorism charge, the death penalty looms and he's on the run from both the law and the real killer. On a wild ride through the oil fields of North Dakota, Thompson's quest to save his own skin explodes into a race to save the nation from a deadly tidal wave of terror. Buckle up!"

2/27 Biography finished: "Tom Swyers is often confused with Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer." But his best friend isn't Huck and he didn't marry Becky. Based on a true story, his controversial debut novel, SAVING BABE RUTH, was the 2015 recipient of two Benjamin Franklin Book Awards for Best First Book: Fiction (1st place) and Best Popular Fiction (2nd place).  Now Swyers is back with THE KILLDEER CONNECTION, a legal thriller. When he's not writing fiction, he's practicing law or writing decisions as a New York State judge."

2/24 (Question 1 answered):Where did the idea for this book come from?

"Today, there are 25 million people in the USA who live in danger of being burned alive. This killer snakes across the country through small towns and major cities. It has killed dozens already. Locking your door won't save you. This is fact, not fiction. It's also the backdrop for my story."

2/25 (Question 2 answered): What is the inspiration for the story?

"At Standing Rock reservation in North Dakota, there's been a huge protest over the impact of fracking. Today, there are protests against fracking all around the world. I want the novel to capture the passion behind this movement. The people who struggle with fracking every day inspired this story."

2/27  (Question 3 answered):  This book is about a series, tell us about that series.

"My first novel, SAVING BABE RUTH, is a prequel to THE KILLDEER CONNECTION which is the first book of the Lawyer David Thompson Series. Each book can be read as a standalone. David Thompson is a struggling lawyer just trying to do the right thing and get by while keeping his family together."

1/24 (categories finalized):

Literature & Fiction  �  Action & Adventure  �  Mystery, Thriller & Suspense  �  Mystery
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense  �  Thrillers  �  Financial
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense  �  Thrillers  �  Legal
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense  �  Thrillers  �  Terrorism
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:44:27 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
Re: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:11:04 AM »
What is a prepper?

The Oxford English Living Dictionary (not to be confused with it's "Dead" version) defines a prepper as: 

"A person who believes a catastrophic disaster or emergency is likely to occur in the future and makes active preparations for it, typically by stockpiling food, ammunition, and other supplies:
'there's no agreement among preppers about what disaster is most imminent.'"

Well, the Oxford English Living Dictionary is wrong insofar as it applies to this thread.

The "disaster" Kindle Scouters agree upon is failing to get a Kindle Contract.

The acceptance rate in the  Kindle Scout program is around 3%.  That means that  97% of all Kindle Scouters will fail to secure a contract with Kindle.

This thread is for Kindle Scouts who have accepted that they will most likely fail but who want to prevent disaster and succeed from the experience.

Time to face the fact: The odds are that I'll be one of the 97%.

Don't get me wrong. I truly believe in my novel. I think it's a great legal thriller compared to what's out there in the market. But I'd be crazy to think that I'm destined to be a part of the 3% club.The odds are stacked heavily against me.

But that's okay so long as I prepare to succeed in the face of accepting my likely failure.

So what's my plan?

Stay tuned . . .

Offline Alexander_Baird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:23:19 AM »
Can you advise on

1) How did you do your cover (paid, prepaid, self-made, other)?
2) How long did the book take to write as a first draft?
3) How many rounds of rewrites?
4) Have you used any professionals (e.g. editing) or beta-readers?
5) What are your plans for the campaign?

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
  • Reader, Book Blogger & Author
    • View Profile
    • http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:25 AM »
Hi Alexander! If you come over to the Kindle Scout thread you'll be able to ask loads of us who've been through it (and get answers to any questions! Everyone is super helpful and supportive). You'll also be able to get your book on Steve's daily list and join in with our almost constant speculation on what's going on behind the scenes at KS!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:30 AM »
Can you advise on

1) How did you do your cover (paid, prepaid, self-made, other)?
2) How long did the book take to write as a first draft?
3) How many rounds of rewrites?
4) Have you used any professionals (e.g. editing) or beta-readers?
5) What are your plans for the campaign?

Hi Alexander,

1) Self-Made with some help
2) My first draft will be my last draft with editing. (This is my second book. Took my four years to write the first. It took one year to write the second. So if you're beginning and this is your first novel, I don't recommend the first-draft-last-draft approach)
3)  I rewrote one chapter in the midst of writing the book based on feedback. That's it. It's been edited as I wrote it with my editors trailing me. Developmental editors saw it first. Then I made changes. Then the next editor saw that version and so forth.
4) I'll have a team of about 30 beta readers. The will get the book before the Scout campaign begins if all goes according to plan.
5) Stay tuned!!

Tom

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:50:31 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 05:48:53 AM »
Hi Alexander! If you come over to the Kindle Scout thread you'll be able to ask loads of us who've been through it (and get answers to any questions! Everyone is super helpful and supportive). You'll also be able to get your book on Steve's daily list and join in with our almost constant speculation on what's going on behind the scenes at KS!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Great advice!

Here's the link to the Kindle Scout thread:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,213112.0.html

Offline Alexander_Baird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
Hi Alexander,

1) Self-Made with some help
2) My first draft will be my last draft with editing. (This is my second book. Took my four years to write the first. It took one year to write the second. So if you're beginning and this is your first novel, I don't recommend the first-draft-last-draft approach)
3)  I rewrote one chapter in the midst of writing the book based on feedback. That's it. It's been edited as I wrote it with my editors trailing me. Developmental editors saw it first. Then I made changes. Then the next editor saw that version and so forth.
4) I'll have a team of about 30 beta readers. The will get the book before the Scout campaign begins if all goes according to plan.
5) Stay tuned!!

So your developmental editors gave you feedback chapter by chapter as you wrote?  Did you give them an outline first?
30 beta readers is incredible - good work.  How did you find them=

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »
So your developmental editors gave you feedback chapter by chapter as you wrote?  Did you give them an outline first?
30 beta readers is incredible - good work.  How did you find them=

Hi Alexander,

I didn't give my developmental editors an outline. I wanted them to experience the book as a reader in thinking about my book. I don't think they should have the aid of an outline because a reader won't.

I did have a rough outline on paper, but it changed while I was writing. I'm somewhere between being a plotter and being a panster--at least for this book.

My beta readers were people I connected with during the process of writing and publishing my first book.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:58:37 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 03:13:12 AM »
Because an author has only a 3% chance of being selected by Kindle Scout, I need to view the program primarily as a book launching platform and not a competition for a Kindle contract.

There is no way I can generate as much exposure for my new novel (The Killdeer Connection) on my own for 30 days without breaking out the checkbook.

Using my social media and my email list alone to announce my book would be like throwing a pebble into a lake and hoping a ripple would travel from shore to shore.

But the Amazon Kindle Scout platform has the potential of being a meteor dropping into the lake that becomes a huge wave. At the very least it beats throwing a pebble into a lake and hoping for the best.  As an author, you can engage your followers by having them participate in the Kindle Scout program by nominating your book with the hope of getting a free copy. That act alone creates awareness that has staying power through the book launch. But on top of engaging your reading base, as an author you can expose yourself to tons of new readers on Kindle Scout.

Where else can you do that for free before the book is for sale?

In treating Kindle Scout as a book launching platform, I decided I needed to devote the 30 day Kindle Scout campaign period as my primary job for that time period. So I blocked out a chunk of time for that purpose from mid February to mid March.

I also decided I needed to plan ahead of time what I was going to do during those 30 days to launch the book in the Kindle Scout platofrm. That's what I'm going to do until I start the campaign. I don't want to be hunting for marketing options during the 30-day campaign. I want to know my options by then and I want to be executing my plan during that time.

I'll outline my planning thoughts as I go through the  process here.   

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:49:51 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline tommy gun

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Sci Fi side (WIP)
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 05:24:27 AM »
headtalker and thunderclap support?
 (apologies, asking if you are chasing that down for promo)
If I understand the process correctly this is mostly voted on by potential readers, is that correct?
Transference Zombie bk 1: 91%

Corporate Marines bk 4: 19%

Transference Zombie bk 2: 33%
No matter what.  STAY POSITIVE!
tom germann | FaceBook | Author Webpage | Sci Fi Guy

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 05:35:25 AM »
headtalker and thunderclap support?
 (apologies, asking if you are chasing that down for promo)
If I understand the process correctly this is mostly voted on by potential readers, is that correct?

Hi Tommy,

I'll talk about Headtalker later. It's an option because it's free.

Forget Thunderclap. It costs money if you have less that 100 people supporting.

Yes, books on Kindle Scout are voted on (nominated) BUT the decision to publish or not is ultimately up to Kindle no matter how many or how few nominations a book receives.

Tom 

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:39:44 AM »
The first step in my Kindle Scout campaign and my priority above anything else is going to be to contact my supporters and to make them aware of the upcoming novel and to ask for their support on the Kindle Scout platform. It only makes sense to contact the people who are most likely going to support you first and foremost. 

When I'm out and about town, I see people who know I'm an author. So I let them know.

I have made a note around of all the libraries and bulletin boards in my area. I will post flyers at these locations when my Kindle Scout campaign begins and I have the link.

I have a mailing list of about 250 readers. I haven't written them too often over the past year or so. So it's time to re-engage them. But how?

It took me a lot of time to develop my cover. There were many dead ends. I decided to make posts out of the process, show readers the covers that failed, and to send the content to my email list and to post it on social media. I plan to do that once a week until the Kindle Scout campaign begins around 2/20. By showing folks what covers weren't used and why, I think people will become curious and even excited about the final cover selected.

But I won't reveal the final cover until the day my Kindle Scout campaign begins.

In essence, I've made a story about the cover and the climax occurs on the day the Kindle Scout campaign begins.

Here's the first blog post I made:

http://wp.me/p2J3jr-W7

After posting this, I'm looking for people on social media who are engaging with that content or other content about the upcoming book or anything else remotely relevant.

So on twitter, where I have 10K followers, I'm looking for likes and RTs and I'm taking names and making a list. When the Kindle Scout campaign is launched, I'll tweet these followers directly with the information about the Kindle Scout campaign and a link.

Here's the Pick Fu results from that first cover attempt:

Stay tuned . . .    8)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:22:03 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 03:26:25 AM »
Yesterday, I continued to develop the home base part of the marketing plan.

I'm building the foundation for the 2/20 campaign projected start date

I continued to re-engage supporters on social media and on my mailing list.
I continued to email with people about the upcoming campaign. 

Home base is not just in the virtual world for me. It's my hometown too.

I contacted the mayor of my hometown of about 20,000 and let him know about the upcoming Kindle Scout contest. I thought it was something the Town could get behind. You know, support a local author--someone in the arts community. Also, the book takes place (in part) in the town though it's given a fictional name in the book.  The killdeer bird (part of the title of my book) was something I was first introduced to as a kid growing up here.

It's not like I'm  trying to sell something through the Town. At the end of the day, the only thing that exchanges hands is a free book if anything. If the Town supports the idea, I think we might be able to get some local news coverage for the effort that benefits the Town. For me, the more support I have, the better the odds for selection by the Kindle Scout editors.

Of course, if I'm not selected by Kindle Scout, then this will be public knowledge as well. In all probability (97%), that will happen. So be it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I expect the book will be "successful" whether it "wins" or not. My goal is to use the Kindle Scout platform as a launching platform. If I'm not selected, I still will have generated more interest in the book than if I hadn't participated. In that way, it's a win-win scenario.   

If I'm not selected, the news might be someday that the book was a "success" even though it wasn't selected. Sounds good to me.

Could I get the Town's support without this "contest?" Probably not. Without the Kindle Scout platform, there would be no public contest and no way for people to support the book through nomination. There would be no news. Authors publish books every day and usually the only "news" that is made by them is after the fact if they are successful.

So, I'm scheduled to meet with the Town later this month to see what we can do together.

In the meantime, I developed a flyer using a template from Microsoft. It's a tear away flyer that will have my Kindle Scout link on it instead of the phone number. I'm making a list of all the bulletin boards in the area to post it on. Here is the template I'm working off of now:

https://templates.office.com/en-us/For-sale-flyer-TM00002092

I will also run a targeted facebook ad for my hometown to promote the book during the campaign period. If it gets some traction (shares and likes), this can help reduce the cost.

I think that about covers my home base efforts for now

Stay tuned as I develop other facets of the campaign . . .

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 05:26:46 AM »
Google Ads

You can help spread the word about your Kindle Scout campaign by using Google Ads.

However, this option costs $$$

Tip: You may be able to get a coupon online. I got one through BlueHost who is my website host company. If I spend $25, I get a credit to use $100 for ad spending. If it wasn't for the coupon, I'd probably skip this option.

Offline msknyc

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
    • M.S. Kaminsky Author Page
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Hi Tom - thanks for posting this! I'm just about ready to try Kindle Scout with my first novel 'The Atlantis Twins'. This is helpful! If I run across anything that might be beneficial I'll past it along.

The Atlantis Twins: A Paranormal Thriller: 95%
Finishing my first Fiction Book
M.S.Kaminsky | Author Page

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »
Hi Tom - thanks for posting this! I'm just about ready to try Kindle Scout with my first novel 'The Atlantis Twins'. This is helpful! If I run across anything that might be beneficial I'll past it along.

My pleasure.

I'll try and post something every day here.

They say the Kindle Scout process is like a marathon--it's 30 days of running a campaign.

If so, I don't think you enter a marathon without some training (planning) over a period of time,

Good luck with your novel!   

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 04:15:41 AM »
Two more ideas on the home base front.

This is one that's original and untested but I think it might be worth a few minutes.

More than likely, your city/area/town has a buy,sell/garage sale facebook group.

Find it and join the group now and when your Scout campaign begins, post it there. Use the fact that you're a local author to promote yourself.

Tip: Search your area code for these groups too. So if you live in the 212 area code, put that into the facebook search feature first and see what comes up.

I came up with about ten groups that worked. Check the rules for each group but it shouldn't be a problem because you are giving away something for free.

I'm keeping track of all my promotion ideas and plans on a word document so when I can go back to it in a few weeks when the campaign begins I'll have a list of action items.     

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 03:07:48 AM »
Co Promote

Cost: Free
Premium Plan available (not recommended).

What is it?

Watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZL0lkT4kc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cByhnxwdiK4

Recommendation:

Open an account immediately.
Link your social media accounts to it.

You have 30 topics you can follow.

Make these part of your 30:

Art, Photography, & Design
Business & Finance
Entertainment & Media
Fashion & Beauty
Food & Drinks
Gaming
Lifestyle, Home, & Travel
Music
News & Politics
Science & Technology
Spiritual, Charity, & Education
Sports

These are the big topics that are all encompassing. Click them to see all the posts in them. You can also search for content in the search bar, but using the tags is easier.

Start to copromote content.

Tip: You might have to work a little to find content but it is there. Click the links to make sure you want to share the content and that the link works.

When you promote content, you get credits for sharing that can go towards your shares when the time comes. It's like a bank and you are making deposits you can draw upon later when you need them--during you Scout campaign.

Tip: You can only promote 15 items per day.

Tip: When you are promoting, look for people who you want to follow. You want to look for people to might be interested in promoting your content later. If you follow them and they follow you back, your content will show up in their feed. That one way your content can be discovered. Plus if they follow you back, their content will show in your feed.

Tip: While you promote, look for topics (tags) to promote under. You want these topics to be active. You are allowed 8 when you post your content. Key is to use ALL 8. Many people use only a few and they are not always active. The more topics you use, the more likely your content will be discovered.  That's the other way your content can be discovered.

For me, these are my fab four to use:

1. Entertainment and Media
2. Fiction and Literature
3. Mysteries and Thrillers
4. Books

I'm developing my other four now as I go along.

Key: You want to have a boatload of credits when you begin your campaign. You don't want to spend time trying to get credits while your campaign is going.

Tip: With the free plan, you are limited to promoting one post per social network at a time. They run for 14 days but you can cancel them is you want to try new content to keep it fresh.

I now have 3.4 million credits on account for when my Kindle Scout campaign begins.

Yeah, I'm a prepper!

I think  Co Promote is a keeper even after your Kindle Scout campaign ends.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:10:16 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »
Newsletter Swaps

This is an idea that may pay off.

It is untested.

You can try and get your Kindle Scout campaign into a newsletter in exchange for making yours available to others.

You can control what you select via submissions. Others can control what they select as well.

The free option only lets you see newsletter openings 30 days in advance.

So as soon as you know the approximate date of your promotion at least 30 days in advance, you can start applying.

https://www.newsletterswap.com/newsletters

Good marketing idea to be aware of in general.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:32 AM »
Yesterday, I continued to recruit beta readers for The Killdeer Connection.

My plan is to get the book to them in the next week or so. I want them to have it before the Kindle Scout campaign begins on 2/20. It will give them plenty of time (two months) to read it before the end of the Kindle Scout campaign.

Whether you receive a Kindle Scout contract or not, you will need readers to review the book once it is published.

Key: Kindle does not help you get reviewers even if you win. It is up to you and your book.

Key: The more reviews you have (assuming they are good), the better Kindle Scout will be able to promote your book in the subsequent months should you receive a contract.

Tip: Even though beta readers receive an early copy, ask them to vote for you on Kindle Scout. Not only does it help your campaign, but if you win their books are counted as verified purchases through the Scout program and their reviews will be given preference by Amazon.

Big Picture: Win or lose, you need reviews. You can't control whether Kindle selects your book, but you can manage your reviews. Working on receiving reviews is a top priority.     

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 03:37:54 AM »
Yesterday, I continued to recruit beta readers for The Killdeer Connection.

My plan is to get the book to them in the next week or so. I want them to have it before the Kindle Scout campaign begins on 2/20. It will give them plenty of time (two months) to read it before the end of the Kindle Scout campaign.

Whether you receive a Kindle Scout contract or not, you will need readers to review the book once it is published.

Key: Kindle does not help you get reviewers even if you win. It is up to you and your book.

Key: The more reviews you have (assuming they are good), the better Kindle Scout will be able to promote your book in the subsequent months should you receive a contract.

Tip: Even though beta readers receive an early copy, ask them to vote for you on Kindle Scout. Not only does it help your campaign, but if you win their books are counted as verified purchases through the Scout program and their reviews will be given preference by Amazon.

Big Picture: Win or lose, you need reviews. You can't control whether Kindle selects your book, but you can manage your reviews. Working on receiving reviews is a top priority.     

Tom, I am in awe of your preparation. You are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I might one point that you neglected to mention here.

YES, get your Beta readers to read the book ahead of time so as to have reviews ready to roll. YES, get your Beta readers to nominate you, so that they can legitimately post a review on Amazon when the book goes live through Kindle Press, assuming it gets picked up.

BUT - if the book DOESN'T get picked up by Kindle Press, you ought to still be prepared to provide actual review copies to your beta readers so that they can post their reviews with that VERIFIED PURCHASE tag attached, which somehow lends an air of legitimacy to the review.

I expect you already thought of that, but I thought I'd add a footnote to your diary entry.
:)

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 04:01:00 AM »
Tom, I am in awe of your preparation. You are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

YES, get your Beta readers to read the book ahead of time so as to have reviews ready to roll. YES, get your Beta readers to nominate you, so that they can legitimately post a review on Amazon when the book goes live through Kindle Press, assuming it gets picked up.

BUT - if the book DOESN'T get picked up by Kindle Press, you ought to still be prepared to provide actual review copies to your beta readers so that they can post their reviews with that VERIFIED PURCHASE tag attached, which somehow lends an air of legitimacy to the review.

I expect you already thought of that, but I thought I'd add a footnote to your diary entry.

Hey Steve,

Funny-- 'a force to be reckoned with!" I don't take myself too seriously. But thanks for the kind words.

Re: "BUT - if the book DOESN'T get picked up by Kindle Press, you ought to still be prepared to provide actual review copies to your beta readers so that they can post their reviews with that VERIFIED PURCHASE tag attached, which somehow lends an air of legitimacy to the review."

Great point!

Thank you for all you do here on Kboards. I always appreciate your insight.  Like many others here, I've learned so much from you.

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:56 AM »

How do you do that? Is there a way to give readers your book and have it show up as a Verified Purchase?

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 03:17:37 AM »
How do you do that? Is there a way to give readers your book and have it show up as a Verified Purchase?

There are a few ways I can think of but perhaps others have more ideas.

(1) You can gift a ebook copy of the book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201964280

(2) Assuming you are selling through KDP Select, you can notify them of one of your 5 free days and have them get it that way.

Offline Evenstar

• Bristol, UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 03:58:01 AM »
There are a few ways I can think of but perhaps others have more ideas.

(2) Assuming you are selling through KDP Select, you can notify them of one of your 5 free days and have them get it that way.

Does that work? Do free downloads count as verified purchases?