Author Topic: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.  (Read 8929 times)  

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
Re: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
Getting ready to go live tonight at midnight.

Here's the big plan in a nutshell: start at home and then venture out. The old-fashioned social network takes some time to run smoothly as a word-of-mouth machine so I want to jumpsstart that enginet early in the campaign to grow during the course of the 30 days.   

How do you find the time??? I'm impressed. :-)

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
How do you find the time??? I'm impressed. :-)

I've been planning this for some time like a good prepper.  ;)  That's the hard part.

I have a good network who are supportive of my addiction (ummmmmmmm, I mean writing) and I've also done this before.

Finally, the execution of a plan is much easier than it looks if you what to do (or you think you do) when the time comes.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:26 AM »
You're looking down into a tunnel of books. Can you find my book cover?

Step inside and watch 60 book cover attempts in 60 seconds. Then see the winner.

You'll see a link in the lower left (blue box) in the later part of the video. 

Click it. Now how cool is that?

If you like what you see, please nominate (that's a call to action, right?) my book in the Kindle Scout competition.

Here's a direct link to my campaign:   http://hyperurl.co/KilldeerConnection

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTkgmFrfXgg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTkgmFrfXgg</a>

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2017, 02:42:11 AM »
Everything accomplished as outlined yesterday.

Fail:

One of the categories (the first one) I put the book into was literature and fiction. The rest were thriller categories. But it's listed in the heading according to the first category I chose: literature and fiction.  Error on my part, but there was no way to pick it up on the preview that I could find. 

Fail but win

The spacing between paragraphs is larger than rest of excerpts on site. I asked Kindle Scout to fix it, and they missed it. I could have asked them again, but I didn't. I actually grew to like the additional white space after looking at it and left it. I thought it stood out and worked better with the eyes.

I also asked Kindle Scout to end the excerpt at the end of a chapter as opposed to the middle of one. They accommodated that request which was nice of them,

Stats

6 hours in hot and trending the first day.

187 page views.

35% internal/65% external

Really can't tell what strategies are working best at this point.

Offline CABarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
It has been fascinating to follow your journey so far, and I'm looking forward to reading the book!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2017, 02:25:25 AM »
Hi CA,

Thank you so much for the kind note!

I'm glad you're enjoying the diary.

Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself here. :)

Have a great weekend! 

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2017, 02:31:22 AM »
Good Morning,

Stats Yesterday:

129 page views

24 hours in hot and trending.

60 external/40internal

I have two headtalker campaigns that could use some support.

Note that I'm going to use video links with them. An experimental approach. There is a different trailer for each one. They are both posted at the headtalker site at the links:

https://headtalker.com/campaigns/free-the-killdeer-connection/

https://headtalker.com/campaigns/fight-fracking-through-fiction/

Thank you for your help!!!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:49:44 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »

Stats Yesterday:

85 page views

57 external/43internal

Today, I direct messaged some people on twitter who have expressed interest in the book the past month. 
I tweeted to my engaged followers that I have on twitter via a list.
Flyers are being posted.
Getting ready for talk tomorrow evening in front of an environmental group. Will pass out slips of paper with nomination info on it at conclusion of talk.
Newspaper article should run on me at end of week.
School district in my area asked me to speak in middle of month.

Not sure how this will all translate into nominations. But it does help with a book launch regardless of whether book is selected.

As a reminder, I have two headtalker campaigns that could use some support.

[/quote]

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2017, 01:57:42 AM »
Stats Yesterday:

85 page views (same as yesterday)

55 external/45internal

Today, I'll prepare for my talk this evening.

I have to take care of my wife as she has had a relapse of sorts this weekend. Life often gets in the way of the best drawn plans! Need to hit my reset button.  :)

So I'm not sure I'll have that much time to promote the book today. 

As a reminder, I have two headtalker campaigns that could use some support.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:32:09 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2017, 03:42:28 AM »
Stats 3/6:

47 page views

55 external/45internal

I had my talk Monday evening in front of 30 people.

So far, six nominations from that talk.

I spent all day Monday preparing for that talk or taking care of my wife so I wasn't able to promote the book on-line.

I expect to drop off the hot and trending as a result of these low page view stats.

I have a headtalker campaigns that could use some support.

If you are enjoying these posts, please support the headtalker campaign

[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:00:45 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2017, 04:01:09 AM »
Stats 3/7:

45 page views

15 hours in hot and trending.

55 external/45internal

As expected, I  to dropped off the hot and trending as a result of low page view stats.

Life got in the way yesterday too with my wife.

Will try and promote more today.

I plan to be more active today on co-promote. Also, will run small facebook ad targeting lovers of free books and Grisham with my book trailer video.

If you are enjoying these posts, please support the headtalker campaign!

[/quote]

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2017, 02:32:20 AM »
Stats 3/8:

76 page views

4 hours in hot and trending.

55 external/45internal

A better day yesterday. I was able to promote some.

My facebook video ran for part of the say in an ad. Bagged it. Video views does not equate into clicks. Lost $2.00. Live and learn.   

Went to static ad. Cost $5.00. Same target audience as yesterday. I got 5 clicks. Expensive per click. We'll let it run to see if the costs go down.

Now I have multiple posts running on co-promote. Using Insatgram, youtube, twitter and facebook posts on co-promote.

Instagram seems to be paying off with clicks? Who could have imagined that? I'll have to watch this closely.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:51 AM »
I used a similar format (colors too) in John Grisham's The Whistler book trailer and used them in mine. Check out the Kindle Scout link to my campaign page (starts at 20 second mark)  in The Killdeer Connection trailer towards the end. Youtube has a cool feature called endscreens that show in the video as icons that click to a website.

If you have a  few seconds click that icon and nominate my book on Kindle Scout.

Note: You don't have to have a book trailer to enter the Kindle Scout competition. I'm not sure at this point if it was time well spent when compared to other options like having static images ready to go. 

First up, John Grisham's trailer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrKvi7mlXpM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrKvi7mlXpM</a>

Here's the trailer for my upcoming book, The Killdeer Connection.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jHDmD3Zrzk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jHDmD3Zrzk</a>

Here's a direct link to my Amazon Kindle Scout campaign page: http://hyperurl.co/KilldeerConnection

Please nominate it. Thank you for your support!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2017, 04:10:20 AM »
Stats 3/9:

83 page views

56 external/44 internal

My facebook ad costs went down to 68 cents per click. I added some more images. I got 8 clicks yesterday. My bet is most of those resulted in nominations. But I'm still spending only $5.00 per day. I won't scale up with more money until I see the ad performing better. It takes awhile for facebook ads to get in a groove. I should have started it earlier, but real life got in the way.     

Instagram seems to be working well. I have a smart url aligned with it and it's doing better than my facebook ads. And it costs nothing. Lining them up with co-promote boosts has made them even better.

I just did an instagram post now at 5 am EST. In one hour, it has generated 3 campaign clicks. The post itself has 15 likes. That's nuts at 6:00 am in the morning. I'm scaling up on my instagram efforts today.  It has been a lot of fun making ads for my account. Check it out at tom.swyers.

I have a headtalker campaigns that could use some more support.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2017, 03:59:45 AM »
Stats 3/10:

72 page views

12 hours in hot and trending.

59 external/41 internal

My facebook ad costs went down to 60 cents per click. I got 12 clicks yesterday.  I'm not going to scale up with more money at this point.     

Instagram continues to work well for me. I have a smart url aligned with it and it's doing better than my facebook ads. And it costs nothing. Lining them up with co-promote boosts has made them even better. Yesterday, I counted 28 clicks.

By comparison, using twitter got 15 clicks but only after using hundreds of thousands of co-promote credits I have accumulated over the past few months.

The newspaper article covering my campaign went to print yesterday and on-line yesterday afternoon. I counted 13 clicks from that article.

Here's a link to the article: http://yourniskayuna.com/blog/2017/03/10/swyers-writes-legal-thriller-for-2nd-book/

Kindle Scout got some publicity from the article. No, I didn't say the book with the most nominations wins. But that's the way it was reported in the article.

I plan to leverage this article over the duration of my camapign--not necessarily immediately. I will use it in posts and advertisements.

My clicks don't exactly correspond to what the Kindle Scout stats report because they count the clicks differently. Let say they count quality kicks in their eyes.

Looking back, the talk I gave on Monday generated 10 clicks over the past five days and all of them were probably votes. They all went on-line with my link (provided at the talk) with the intention of supporting the book.   

Note that I dropped off hot and trending (on 12 hours yesterday) with only 11 less  (83 vs 72) page views than the day before when I was on hot and trending for 24 hours, 

I can only theorize as to why that happened.

Today is a regroup day. I have a service scheduled to help with the promotions today. It's a Saturday when people are more engaged with social media. I need a day off to attend to real life and to plan the next phase of the campaign. 

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2017, 03:23:17 AM »
Stats 3/11:

276 page views

21 hours in hot and trending.

62 external/38 internal

I paused my facebook ads this morning. 

Taking a break today.

I'll  plan out what I want to do going forward   

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2017, 04:24:48 AM »
Stats 3/12, 3/13

None.

This is day 2 of no stats being reported on my dashboard as of 7:15 EST. They usually update around 5:00 am EST

I think the problem stemmed from moving the clock ahead one hour for Daylight Saving Time.

But that's only speculation.

I dropped Kindle Scout a note yesterday morning about the issue, but I haven't heard anything back.

It's tough enough to run a Kindle Scout campaign, but doing it in the dark is next to impossible. But I can't worry about things I can't control.

The good news is that The Killdeer Connection has been on "Hot and Trending" the entire time of the outage as far as I can tell. I assume that the "Hot and Trending" function is working and not frozen from a few days ago. But I haven't studied it too closely to see if there have been changes in the rankings   

I'll just keep plodding ahead with my plan.

I spent the day yesterday joining some groups on Kboards and Goodreads.     

My facebook ad is on pause.

I'll continue campaigning today with Goodreads I might try to do some things to take advantage of the blizzard in the Northeast. There should be more people in front of their computers today.   

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:29:18 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline CABarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2017, 07:02:27 AM »
I'm still following your data with great interest, and I share your frustration with the interruption! Thank you for being so open about your strategy and your results.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »
I'm still following your data with great interest, and I share your frustration with the interruption! Thank you for being so open about your strategy and your results.

Hi CA,

Thanks for checking in and for following along!

Tom

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:26 AM »
I just got an email from a Kindle Scout rep with respect to the stat problem.

By its contents, I can tell that he was unaware of the problem.

He sees that the system reported an update (March 13, 2017 5:09 AM EDT) on the site (which is true), but I had to inform him that the actual stats are stuck from two days ago.

I also told him it was a system-wide problem and it's impacting many, if not all authors.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
I just got an email from a Kindle Scout rep with respect to the stat problem.

By its contents, I can tell that he was unaware of the problem.

He sees that the system reported an update (March 13, 2017 5:09 AM EDT) on the site (which is true), but I had to inform him that the actual stats are stuck from two days ago.

I also told him it was a system-wide problem and it's impacting many, if not all authors.

This happens frequently. Sometimes they don't run the batch job to update stats or might have a configuration problem.

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
I'm glad you reported the stats problem. I did too.  I hope that it doesn't affect their awareness of how long my book, The Raindrop Institute, has been on hot and trending, as I assume that has some bearing on publication.  Didn't know that only 3% of books are picked up for publication so that is helpful. Enjoyed reading your posts.   

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
This happens frequently. Sometimes they don't run the batch job to update stats or might have a configuration problem.

Hey, Lincoln, thanks for putting your computer-expert hat on and sharing some insight into the problem.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:18:59 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
I'm glad you reported the stats problem. I did too.  I hope that it doesn't affect their awareness of how long my book, The Raindrop Institute, has been on hot and trending, as I assume that has some bearing on publication.  Didn't know that only 3% of books are picked up for publication so that is helpful. Enjoyed reading your posts.

Hi JoAnn,

Good luck with The Raindrop Institute  and thanks for checking in.

It's good to be on "hot and trending" at least for the exposure. Though, as many have observed, there have been a number of authors who have been selected who have not spent time under this banner.

As of 3:30 pm EST, my stats are still down.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:38:09 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2017, 04:47:23 AM »
Stats 3/12, 3/13, 3/14

None.

This is day 3 of no stats being reported on my dashboard as of 7:20 EST. They usually update around 5:00 am EST

Today there's a different twist in that the site doesn't indicate that the stats were updated as of this morning. The site says "Last updated March 13, 2017
5:09 AM EDT"

Yesterday, I told Kindle Scout that this issue no only impacted me but that it was a system-wide problem impacting many if not all authors. I haven't heard anything back as of yet.

I really feel bad for other authors who are in the dark about their campaigns.

Two things that have been a partial save for me are the fact that the "hot and trending" category appears to be working and The Killdeer Connection has been listed there since the outage.

The other thing I have going is that I have assigned smart urls to different ads/efforts in my campaign so that I can assess performance outside the Kindle Scout dashboard. I now consider this a must-do for everyone before entering Kindle Scout.

It's the only way one can drive in the dark without headlights. The smart urls are like driving with a flashlight.   

I finished joining groups on Kboards Goodreads and letting people know about the book yesterday. I also did some Instagram, Facebook (personal) and Twitter posts. I see clicks but don't know if they were counted as page views by Kindle Scout.

My facebook ad is on pause.

I'm going to continue with Instagram today. I'll have to make up the rest as I go along.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:06:12 AM by Tom Swyers »