Author Topic: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.  (Read 10172 times)  

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
Re: The Top Secret Diary of a Kindle Scout Prepper.
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2017, 03:57:47 AM »
Stats 3/12, 3/13, 3/14, 3/15

3/12: 283
3/13: 226
3/14: 1,182
3/15: 196

3/12 23 hours H/T
3/13 24 hours H/T
3/14 24 hours H/T
3/15 24 hours H/T

32/68 internal/external

The stats came back on-line yesterday.

As I posted before, I was scheduled to have a service do some advertising for me March 11th. He contacted me at the last minute to say he'd run it on the 11th, 12th and 13th for the same price. Who was I to argue? It was a stroke of luck that this coincided with the Kindle Scout stats outage.

As for March 14th, I've been working with someone with one of the book advertisers (like BookBub but smaller) over the past year. She thinks outside of the box like me. She wanted to run an experiment on my book and so she sent a special email to all thriller readers in their system about my Kindle Scout listing. I think the timing (during the snowstorm) helped, Flowers to Stella. The email was sent out in the afternoon EST.  So all the 1,000 plus page views were from engaged readers of my genre. Win.

Yesterday, with 196 views, I'm on my descent into normalcy: 45-200 page views.       

My facebook ad has been reactivated.

I have no help today, so I'm going to have to do some heavy lifting to keep me from falling into the abyss.

If I had the stats all along, I could have been a good prepper and planned this out better. So be it. At least I came out of the outage in good shape overall.     

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2017, 02:24:44 AM »
Stats 3/16

Page Views: 151

24 hours H/T

32/68 internal/external

Yesterday, I was on my own to produce some page views. I reactivated my Facebook. For $10 directed at Grisham reader who like free books, I got 23 clicks that cost $11.50. Good results but too expensive.

Yesterday's weapon of choice for the first time during this campaign was the twitter card. If you don't know what it is, find it in one of my prior posts here. Basically, it is a clickable image from a tweet that will take you right to my Kindle Scout page.

It took me a good part of the day to get this done. MY PC would not let me load an image into the twitter dasboard. I pulled my hair out. Turned off ad blockers. Rebooted. No matter. When trying to load, I kept getting the spinning circle of doom. Finally, I left Mr. Gates's bloatware behind and picked up my MAC. Problem solved.

I assigned the twitter card a smart url. I started sending this tweet card out in the evening to people who were following a group opposing bomb trains. Don't know what a bomb train is? Then make sure you nominate the book and you'll get to read all about them.  Once I had the tweet developed to go with the card, it was copy and paste. I must have sent out hundreds of tweets in a few hours. Reached a twitter limit here and there--basically, being given a time-out for sending too many tweets in a short period.

Result: 232 clicks. Cost: $0.00

My Goodreads seeds started to sprout yesterday: 11 clicks.

Instagram: 10 clicks

Others: 3

Total Clicks: 279

The discrepancy between my click counts and Kindle's page views has to do with whether or not Kindle felt the click was worthy enough  (time/engagement) to be a page view. There could have been some re-clicking between my card and the site too that didn't count.       

I turned off my facebook ad when I saw my twitter card going crazy with clicks last night. Say goodbye to Facebook for now and say hello to Twitter today.

I have a service scheduled to help starting this afternoon. I scheduled it during the stats outage because I didn't know how long that would last.   

I'll send some more twitter cards today regardless because it could be a game changer for me.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »
Stats 3/17

Page Views: 487

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

I had a service yesterday that helped, but the twitter cards have been awesome too.

Twitter cards: Over 1,000 clicks. Cost $0.00

It's becoming a game changer for me.

Today, sent an email to my mailing list. It's the first time since my campaign began. Sent them my video book trailer. I also posted the newspaper article about my book in some local facebook groups. Later, will go back to my twitter cards.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 03:59:37 AM »
Stats 3/18

Page Views: 265

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

I'm pleased with the results given I was organic yesterday

I had to re-do my twitter card. It seemed to me there were too many clicks that weren't converting. I checked it out on all devices. I saw that people could have clicked the card to expand it and found themselves on my Kindle Scout page. I didn't feel right about that, so I changed the card so people would be more likely to understand that they'd be taken to my Kindle Scout campaign page if they clicked.

I had 268 clicks to that smart url yesterday, and that's much closer to a 1:1 ratio as far as page views (265) go and given everything else I was doing. I know I got conversions because people tweeted me that they'd nominated the book.

I used the Goodreads event feature to notify followers of the Kindle Scout campaign. I posted my newspaper article on some local Facebook sites including a local book club. I saw that racking up page views as well throughout the day. 

Today, I've got some legal work to do so my promotion will be limited.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:10:26 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:26 AM »
Your stats are AMAZING! What are your total page views so far? Internal vs External?

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
Stats 3/19

Page Views: 367

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

It was a good day considering I had to spend a good chunk of it writing an opinion/decision on a case I heard back in November.

As I mentioned, I did refine my twitter cards. That seems to be working. There are fewer clicks but I think there are more good clicks that are converting into nominations.

In the past two days, I sent out 770 twitter cards and asked for retweets. (Always ask for retweets to extend you reach).  My smart url on that card registered 512 clicks for those two days. You can't ask for anything more than that.  I know it had conversions as many people tweeted me when they nominated the book. There was at least one guy tweeting Amazon directly and telling them they should publish the book. The cost was zero for this traffic.

I'll do more today as time permits. I now have more ideas than I do have time to execute them. I have 11 days remaining with 4.2k page views.   

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:54:56 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2017, 02:51:55 AM »
Your stats are AMAZING! What are your total page views so far? Internal vs External?

Hi Joynell,

Thank you!

I think my stats are good but could be better if I had more time to devote to it.

I have 11 days remaining with 4.2k page views: 71/29 external vs, internal

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
One of the advantages of a smart url is being able to see the origin of your traffic.

This is the breakdown for my twitter card campaign.

United States
1,570   77.8%

France
203   10.1%

United Kingdom
122   6.0%

Canada
32   1.6%

Slovakia
24   1.2%

Netherlands
18   0.9%

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2017, 04:46:04 AM »
Stats 3/21

Page Views: 181

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

I was organic yesterday and with limited time I dropped to the high end of normalcy for me: 45 - 200 page views.

I have some help today in the way of a service. What's happened for me is that any service I use markets the readers of my genre.

I spend my time marketing to people who might not be readers of my genre normally but like the fact that my story deals with environmental concerns about fossil fuels and fracking.No service can reach those folks so it's up to me to find them.

In all the twitter cards I've sent, I have only had three people get upset that they received one.   

Today, I'm going to change my approach. I'm going after the twitter followers of John Grisham with a twitter card in addition to doing some other things.

I've created a special url for this twitter card campaign and early results as far as clicks go are very promising. I did not have room in the card to ask for a retweet though. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:59:53 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2017, 03:18:29 AM »
Stats 3/22

Page Views: 191

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a win of sorts.

The service I thought was going to help me didn't materialize. Although they said they'd start it yesterday, upon further inquiry last evening they said they wouldn't start it until 10 PM EST. So I was organic yesterday and didn't know it. But I ended up at the high end of normalcy for me (45 - 200 page views) and even bumped up 10 page view from the day before. So maybe the new normal for me is 150 - 200 page views. Maybe that means I have some traction.

Overall, I think marketing services can be helpful, but you have to put yourself in the driver seat and nail them down as to start dates and times and end dates and times. You also should write them the day of the promotion to confirm you are running on that day. Customer service is sometimes delayed or lacking at these firms.

You'll need some down time throughout the campaign and services can help. I've used them on the weekends when people are more engaged on the internet and when your family says they might like to see you disengage from your campaign dashboard. But a misunderstanding might leave you naked and vulnerable to dropping off "hot and trending."

A loss for me was a co-promoted tweet to a newspaper article about me and my book. I told people that the link for a free book was at the end of the article, but I really didn't see any bump in my stats from the link at the end in today's report even though I got 293k retweets. I must have lost people when they were reading the article. I should have known better, but I thought it was a classier way to promote. But classy didn't give me page views.

A win for me was going after Grisham readers. I sent out 600 tweets yesterday with a smart url. I got 200 clicks from them. A 33% click rate is absurdly good when on facebook you're a winner with 3%.  Again, people tweeted me throughout the day saying "done" or "thank you" or "nominated." So it worked. Surprise: 30% of my clicks were from France while 40% were from the US. What's up with that?  Some man in Malaysia wanted the book so much (his country is blocked from Kindle Scout) he planned to work with UK friends to vote for it.

I suspect I was tweeting to a number of fake accounts at times. But I can't argue with 33%. 

Footnote: 200 clicks on facebook would have cost me around $100. I'll take $0 over $100 any day.

My environmental tweets of 2 days ago had some staying power of 52 clicks. They seem to have a better click rate than my legal thriller tweets. Hmmmmmmm 

I haven't decided what I'll do today yet. I don't plan to let up though if time permits. Even though I would have had a good campaign if it ended today with 4.5k page views, my goal was 6k at the outset so I've got work to do.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:00:10 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2017, 06:01:49 AM »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the continual update. I'm pretty lost and confused now. Where are you sending these tweets? You said you sent out 600 tweets? Were you doing it yourself or are you paying someone to do it for you. I can't imagine you sitting there all day clicking twitter 600 times. Did you use John Grisham as hastag?

I'm also pretty lost on how to set up a Twitter Card works even though you provided the link. Are we supposed to insert info into the code? I'm a very low tech person. Maybe I should look for a tutorial on YouTube.

Good luck.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2017, 07:59:37 AM »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the continual update. I'm pretty lost and confused now. Where are you sending these tweets? You said you sent out 600 tweets? Were you doing it yourself or are you paying someone to do it for you. I can't imagine you sitting there all day clicking twitter 600 times. Did you use John Grisham as hastag?

I'm also pretty lost on how to set up a Twitter Card works even though you provided the link. Are we supposed to insert info into the code? I'm a very low tech person. Maybe I should look for a tutorial on YouTube.

Good luck.

Hi Alexa.

I sent the Grisham tweets to his followers who are listed under his twitter page.

Yes, I sent them out myself. Once I had one one crafted, I copy and pasted it to each follower. I did 100 at a sitting to music.

Here's a link to how to create a twitter card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFhE7raJo4

Check my twitter feed and you'll see mine with a red background image.

You provide the link, the image, and the headline to the card. When you're done, twitter will give you the link for the card. Copy and paste it at the end of every tweet you send out.

All the Best,

Tom
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:03:00 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
Did you ever think about paying a Fiverr to help you send the tweets? Not sure anyone offers that service but if you find someone who does net promo and contact them privately maybe someone somewhere in the world may want to do it for $5.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
Did you ever think about paying a Fiverr to help you send the tweets? Not sure anyone offers that service but if you find someone who does net promo and contact them privately maybe someone somewhere in the world may want to do it for $5.

Hi Alexa,

Yes, the problem is that I like to modify things as I go along. I may change the tweet, skip someone, personalize an appeal. Or if something goes wrong, I can see it and stop it in its tracks. Or if something is going right, I can see it too in my click stats and do more of it.

I don't want to be a bot and, if you act like a bot, twitter will give you a time out. 

Once you have a tweet in your cue, it's really just select and paste. Their address is pre set. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:30:18 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2017, 03:53:26 AM »
Stats 3/23

Page Views: 146

24 hours H/T

30/70 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a fail.

I didn't do as much promotion yesterday. I relied on the service I purchased to do a little of the lifting.

I have not had good vibes from him from the outset, but someone else on Kboards recommended him.  I decided to set my doubts aside.

From what I can tell, the service didn't begin yesterday at 10 am. I saw his post on facebook and I wasn't impressed.

Without his service: 191 page views.

With it: 146 page views.

I'm beginning to lose patience with him. I sent him an email this morning. Let's see what happens.

So I'm back at work today. I can't rely on this service to help at all.  I'm going to have to do more lifting today.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:00:53 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »
Stats 3/24

Page Views: 197

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a win for me, not for the service I hired.

It was a win for me because I was correct not to trust this service.

I'm the one who bumped up my page views from yesterday's 146.

I can see it in my smart url clicks stats.

With one week to go, I decided to go after legal thriller readers. Win or no win with Kindle Scout, that's what I need more than anything when I launch.

I sent an email to the service and got a canned response in the morning that said some things were posted when they weren't posted because I checked.

I responded with an itemized list of my observations so far and later last night he apologized and said he would forward my email to the woman who was doing some/all (?) of the work for him. What's up with that?

I told him that I expect that he would double his efforts in the coming days to overcome the shortcomings of the first few days. Call me skeptical. I'm glad I paid with a credit card.

I see some corrections this morning, but do I really need to be wasting my time trying to make sure that this service is doing what it promised when it promised to do it? No!  More importantly, I haven't seen any bump in page views either that I can't attribute to my efforts.

I'm back at work today. I can't rely on this service to help.  I'm going to have to do the lifting again.

Goal is still 6000 page views with 7 days left and 4.9k page views currently

I timed myself yesterday. It took me 20 minutes to send out 100 twitter cards from a list.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:01:44 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2017, 03:29:02 AM »
Stats 3/24

Page Views: 143

24 hours H/T

30/70 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a loss.

I wasn't able to market as much because life got in the way. The service wrote back and said they'd try harder at my request. So I relied on the service again. Nothing happened.   

Recap:

3/21 Tuesday  (Service not in effect. It should have been.) : 191 page views. I marketed.
3/22 Wednesday (Service in effect): 146 page views. I didn't market as much.
3/23 Thursday (Service in effect): 197 page views. I marketed.
3/24 Friday  (Service in effect): 143 page views. I didn't market as much.

Essentially, I bounced around normalcy for me of late: between 140 and 200 page views.

I asked for a refund from this service this morning. I've seen enough. Time to move on.

I have a talk tomorrow at a library. So I need to prepare for it. I have to say that while it's always good to go out and meet people and talk about your work, with this sort of campaign it might be best not to do such things. It takes a lot of time. It's unfortunate but I think sitting behind your monitor and working might be time better spent. Of course, you'll never be sure because we don't know the nomination numbers our page views produce. As a result of my last talk, I got 12 page views and likely nominations. People were given my url at the talk and so when they went to it, they most likely nominated the book.   

Goal is still 6k page views with 6 days left and 5.05k page views currently

I'm going to try and run an immediacy camapign of sorts on Thursday with my campaign coming to a close on Friday.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:22:46 AM by Tom Swyers »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2017, 06:55:12 AM »
Thanks for the update, Tom. Think I have an idea who the marketer is. Love your dry sense of humor.

Good luck today.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2017, 02:33:53 AM »
Thanks for the update, Tom. Think I have an idea who the marketer is. Love your dry sense of humor.

Good luck today.

Hi Alexa,

Thanks for keeping me company and for the support!

Tom

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2017, 03:08:51 AM »
Stats 3/25

Page Views: 402

24 hours H/T

30/70 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a win.

Yesterday, I said I asked for a refund from the service that didn't work for me. I just wrote him and described the facts much like I laid them out there.  He gave me a full refund--no questions asked.     

I had some help yesterday. I had a one day service going and I understand that another service picked me up and sent out a small email on my book's behalf. Nice.

The forecast for today is a return to normalcy today: 140 - 200 page views. I won't have time to market with my library talk this afternoon. My son is also leaving the country and I'll need to see him off. I don't have a service supporting me but there may be a small carryover from yesterday's service to help.

If a service does its job, the day after it runs should lend some support. So there's no reason to run another service on the day after.   

Goal is still 6k page views with 5 days left and 5.45k page views currently. The goal looks to be within striking distance.

I don't want to sit on my hands though. I'll still personally market to legal thriller readers this week. Win or lose, I still want them to get my book so that mine will show in their also-bought list on Amazon.

My challenge this week is that my wife has out-patient surgery on Wednesday. I'll need to support her and then care for her afterwards.

I'm still going to try and run an immediacy camapign of sorts on Thursday with my campaign coming to a close on Friday.

I'd like to finish strong.

When the book has two days left, it should get some support from being on the "ending soon" list.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:28:53 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2017, 08:12:40 AM »
I'm sure there are others following and lurking.

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2017, 03:29:33 AM »
I'm sure there are others following and lurking.

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery!

Thank you for the good wishes, Alexa!

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2017, 04:20:54 AM »
Stats 3/26

Page Views: 173

24 hours H/T

29/71 internal/external

I consider yesterday to be a win.

The forecast I made yesterday was spot on. I projected a return to normalcy for me of late: 140 - 200 page views. Actual: 173.

Yesterday, I gave a talk mostly to local writers at the city library. There was a journalist, a poet, and a novelist. I really enjoyed myself. Listening to poetry and the wonderful writing of an arts reviewer was refreshing. At the end of the program, they tried to give an envelope with a check fo appearing. I told him to keep it to fund further programming.  I doubt I will get many nominations from the talk, but that's okay.

I came home to find an invitation to be a featured guest this summer at a writer's institute for teens. It carries a small stipend.  I only mention this because I believe the invitation is a direct result of my Kindle Scout campaign. So if you're reading this post and wondering if Kindle Scout is worth it, here's an example of a benefit outside of actual acceptance.     

Today,  I have some time so let's see if I can get this to the high end of my normal range: around 200 page views.

I'm going after the twitter readers/followers of Scott Turow, the father of the legal thriller. He has a following of 2500 but he is active. That's good. Active twitter account means more likely active followers. When you look at a follower list on twitter, the ones listed towards the top are the most recent followers of that person. So they are most likely still on twitter if the account of the author is still active.

He's got a new legal thriller book coming out, so I retweeted info about it.

I've already sent 200 twitter cards early in the morning so if people check their twitter account before starting their day, they'll be greeted by my invitation. 

I could go and solicit more friends and family for votes in my remaining time. But so long as I have readers to target, that seems like my time is better served going in that direction. First and foremost, I want to enlist readers of my genre. They are more likely to read and review the book when it is released. I assume that Amazon would want the same thing in considering a book they'd take. Win-win.

I'm definitely going to have some fun this week. I'll be trying some novel things.

Stay tuned!!

Goal is still 6k page views with 4 days left and 5.62K page views currently. The goal looks to be within striking distance.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:09:28 PM by Tom Swyers »

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2017, 04:38:55 AM »
Tom, who did the cover for your book? It's outstanding.

Also, I really appreciate these posts.  Yesterday, because of you I went onto Twitter for my own campaign.  That resulted in 15 ticks.  Now I have to master Twitter Cards.  Best of luck reaching 6K
JoAnn

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2017, 03:37:05 AM »
Tom, who did the cover for your book? It's outstanding.

Also, I really appreciate these posts.  Yesterday, because of you I went onto Twitter for my own campaign.  That resulted in 15 ticks.  Now I have to master Twitter Cards.  Best of luck reaching 6K
JoAnn

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for the compliment and for following along.

I did the cover in conjunction with feedback,

A couple of rules I've developed.

Keep it simple. Two colors or a consistent mix of a few across the page.

No more than two fonts.

Go to a bookstore. Look for ones that stand out in your genre. Ask yourself, why do they stand out? Then take those lessons to your own book.   

Tom