Author Topic: Amazon opening Physical bookstore in New York City in 2017  (Read 543 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Amazon opening Physical bookstore in New York City in 2017
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:50:38 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/06/amazon-opening-nyc-physical-bookstore.html

Amazon is opening Physical bookstore in New York City in 2017.  Frankly I don't understand this! Whatever you think of Barnes & Noble, they understood their business.  I doubt Amazon can do better at it. Even if Amazon can make this work on the one store basis, the benefits to Amazon's bottom line would seem small. I profess myself mystified.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon opening Physical bookstore in New York City in 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:21:45 PM »
There was a report that there's going to be one somewhere in the DC area, too . . . but only for pick up of books ordered. I didn't quite get it 'cause the footage they were showing was of a pretty normal looking bookstore.

There are apparently two "Pop Up" stores in Northern Virgnia -- the point is to let people play with the tech before buying/ordering.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »

There are apparently two "Pop Up" stores in Northern Virgnia -- the point is to let people play with the tech before buying/ordering.
That makes sense for technology toys, but I'm puzzled about a bookstore.  We will see, maybe they are playing for dimensional chess, and this is something brilliant, or maybe this is just a blunder.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
I would love to have one here. And I don't even read paperbooks anymore. Why? Because I still miss browsing books by actually touching them and looking at them. And Amazon wants exactly that. Folks to look and then buy kindle books, or the paperbooks, or a kindle. I think it kind of fits with their brand that way. A bookstore where you can do what you want and scan the books, grab your phone and look it up, pull out your kindle and download a sample. And nobody to look at you funny when you scan with your phone.  ;D

I don't think amazon imprint book are in other books stores so they get to present their catalog of in house stuff that way also. I haven't been in a book store in years as they barely had any books anymore. Back in the day where you could actually browse and not have huge sections of toys, cd's, etc. I have seen pics of the first one they made and they are smallish, just big enough to carry books and showcase the devices. They want folks to be engaged with their phones, kindles, while in the store. I think you have to scan for the price as it always changes on amazon. At least I remember reading that when the first one was opened.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
They can also put other items in the store that they know sell well online. It is a smart move and the Columbus Circle location is perfect for this.

Online telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
in other words, they are putting an amazon store where one of the last Barnes and Noble stores in Manhattan was...  i think i finally understand the word irony.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
Yeah it use to be Coliseum books was. The people on the upper west side of Manhattan will love it. Only a few blocks from the 24/7 Apple store.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »
Amazon is opening Physical bookstore in New York City in 2017.  Frankly I don't understand this! Whatever you think of Barnes & Noble, they understood their business.  I doubt Amazon can do better at it. Even if Amazon can make this work on the one store basis, the benefits to Amazon's bottom line would seem small. I profess myself mystified.

Better -- is an individual's opinion.  Mine -- Borders was far far better than B&N.  I still miss Borders big time.  Borders and B&N here (Oak Brook, IL) were just a couple blocks apart.  Kevin, the former head of media dept. at Borders is now at B&N.  :)  He says many former Borders customers tell him how much they miss Borders.  So yes, Amazon could do it better.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 07:49:39 AM »
Better -- is an individual's opinion.  Mine -- Borders was far far better than B&N.  I still miss Borders big time.  Borders and B&N here (Oak Brook, IL) were just a couple blocks apart.  Kevin, the former head of media dept. at Borders is now at B&N.  :)  He says many former Borders customers tell him how much they miss Borders.  So yes, Amazon could do it better.

I was speaking of financial results and profitability rather than the customer's point of view. I agree that Borders was a better store than B&N!