KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: SYTYCD Season 14  (Read 2195 times)  

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • writing dreams into reality
Re: SYTYCD Season 14
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
Did y'all know about Jenna and Val?

Are they together??

Still catching up...

Top 10 Part 2:

- The disco routine was surprisingly engaging for me. I think the clever staging had a big impact. And maybe disco just works better as a group routine for me, versus a duo. Mark's personality really stands out even within the crowd.

- Don't know how I missed this before but I LOVE that Mary's Twitter name is @HotTamaleTrain lol!

- "Hater" with Comfort and Mark was good, although I don't think the choreo used the stage as much/as well as it could have. Side note: I love how Comfort has allowed her feminine/sexy side to come out more and more over the seasons, while still maintaining that tomboy-ish swagger that is her trademark.

- Koine's solo was nice but quiet.

- Logan's solo was excellent!

- Whooo boy, Argentine Tango... So hit or miss. Gaby looked good; Lex looked a little creepy, lol, but that was the fault of his hair (face and head) not his dancing.

- Cat's hair and pants are pretty awful. And how did I just notice that Vanessa's not really wearing a shirt?

- Taylor's solo was really lovely. And even though I kind of hate "lingerie as a costume," I thought she looked fairly good.

- It's funny to me that Kiki is a ballroom dancer, because his total hipster look just makes me think he should be expert in a "cool" genre, like hip hop or something. TBH I found it hard to focus on his and Jenna's dancing because of the horrible Joker-esque costumes...

- Wow, Kaylee's solo really impressed me!

- Sydney is gorgeous, and a really striking dancer. I feel like she could go far. Her dance with Paul was good, but I didn't see the story come through in the choreo the way I would have liked to. (Which isn't their fault.)

- Robert is cool, but maybe not as cool as he thinks he is?

- Dassy is SO COOL. She's my early fave.

- Whoooooa, Logan's moves in the rehearsal package!! Good personality, incredible skill. He could go far too. Absolutely hated their costumes, but their dancing won me over. What a duo.

- The Lethal Ladies step routine was great, and the movie looks really good too!

(And now this is where my notes get choppy because my baby woke up and demanded attention, lol. She seems to enjoy SYTYCD too, though!)

- Cyrus and Kaylee hip hop ok

- Robert and Taylor Broadway good

- Sydney solo too much tricks

- Marko and Koine very technical, seemed focused on moves

- Mark's solo was very cool

- Jasmine and Robert were a little boring, also seemed focus on the moves at times

- Kiki solo very good

- not surprised by elimination but surprised by other two in bottom
  Twenty-Somewhere
Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo | Smashwords    

3 best friends tackle work, love & life after college. 

www.kristanhoffman.com
  New House 5: How a dorm becomes a home

56 freshman + 1 RA face the ups & downs of a very special year.

www.newhouse5.com

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 09:28:36 AM »
Yes, Val and Jenna are an item. They had been together for quite a while then broke up. They recently got back together and even went to Maks and Pita's wedding together. Val keeps shouting all over the Internet that he's in love with Jenna.

I agree. That was definitely a really good disco.

Sydney is good, but I think she's kind of bland and won't connect with the audience. She's up against too many out-there personalities.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
Top 9 episode:

- Opening number (Afro-jazz? Afro-hip hop?) was really good, Jenna stood out, and I always like when they find a way to spotlight individual talents

- Whoa, Vanessa's hair doesn't grow that fast, so: holy extensions, Batman

- Logan and Allison were cute, very polished, a little hammy

- Omg totally forgot about Elliott Yamin and "Wait for You" but that's a great song. Kaylee's solo seemed kind of... light, though

- Once again, I quite enjoyed Sydney's solo, even though ballroom doesn't usually do it for me

- I'm sure he's not, but in the package, Marko looks like he's falling for Koine haha. They were both fantastic. Marko's aerial cartwheel thing!

- Yasssssss Fikshun and Dassy!! Loved  it! Sooooo much character and fun and still great dancing!

- Ditto Kiki with a strong ballroom solo

- Mark is such a strong, natural performer. Actually thought he outdid Comfort in this piece. It wasn't my favorite for them but it was good

- Great solo from Taylor. I feel like she accomplished what Kaylee was going for

- Whoooo that "Strange Fruit" performance... Powerful and haunting. Emmy, anyone?

- Gaby looked gorgeous in that flapper outfit! The routine was pretty good, as was Lex

- Dang, Paul was way more convincing in the hip hop than I expected. Taylor was good too, but more on the cheerful side vs owning some swag in her expression.

- Koine looks like she's wearing a swimsuit... but her solo is good. I love the soft, fluid flourishes

- The top 9 performance was fine, but what I found most memorable was the costumes. Loved the suits with color "splashes." In general I feel like the costume and lighting department is doing a better job than normal this season. Usually I complain about the dancers disappearing into the backdrop a lot

- Ugh, and of course as soon as I say that, Cyrus and Kaylee are put in black against a black backdrop. Sigh... Anyway, I think Kaylee danced better than Cyrus in this, but I didn't think either were exceptional, and the routine didn't excite me in general. In the hands of other dancers (in different costumes) I think it could have been pretty cool

- Mark's solo was phenomenal! Put him down as a fave

- Robert and Taylor routine was just OK for me. Too focused on the moves, rather than being IN the dance

- Uggggghhhhh my DVR cut off here because of Trump's announcement about Afghanistan. Shouldn't cable/TV technology be smart enough at this point to compensate for that? Man, I am tempted to just miss whatever didn't get recorded, but I'm realizing that that includes Kiki and Jenna, who I really want to see, sooooo I guess I have to find this On Demand now... #firstworldproblems

- Can't catch up before the ne w episode tonight because FOX won't allow me to fast forward On Demand, sigh. Ah well
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
I can't watch tonight's episode until at least tomorrow. I watch it on Hulu and it takes 24-48 hours before it shows up there.

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »
Ah OK. I watched the first half, but then had to put my daughter to bed, so now I'll probably catch up on the last 20 min of last week's before I sleep.

Are we the only two people in this thread, lol?
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
Ah OK. I watched the first half, but then had to put my daughter to bed, so now I'll probably catch up on the last 20 min of last week's before I sleep.

Are we the only two people in this thread, lol?

Looks like it! I'm glad you're here and I'm not just talking to myself.  :D

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
Top 9 episode continued:

- somehow I missed Logan's solo on my first watch but saw it on demand. What a powerhouse

- Dassy's solo built up strength as it went on

- Lex's solo had a lot of tricks but wasn't my favorite

- Jenna looked positively radiant, to borrow Vanessa's word. Kiki was kind of "invisible" for me, for lack of a better word, but actually I suspect that was a great feat in and of itself. Like, it takes a great deal of skill to support Jenna so flawlessly through a routine like that

- my beloved Dassy and Mark in the bottom 3?! I'm sorry to lose Sydney -- actually, interestingly, this might be the first year that I liked everyone in the top  10 -- but there's no doubt in my mind it was the right choice this week
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Top 9 episode continued:

- somehow I missed Logan's solo on my first watch but saw it on demand. What a powerhouse

- Dassy's solo built up strength as it went on

- Lex's solo had a lot of tricks but wasn't my favorite

- Jenna looked positively radiant, to borrow Vanessa's word. Kiki was kind of "invisible" for me, for lack of a better word, but actually I suspect that was a great feat in and of itself. Like, it takes a great deal of skill to support Jenna so flawlessly through a routine like that

- my beloved Dassy and Mark in the bottom 3?! I'm sorry to lose Sydney -- actually, interestingly, this might be the first year that I liked everyone in the top  10 -- but there's no doubt in my mind it was the right choice this week

Very strong group this year. And for the first time in a long time, I think the guys are stronger than the gals.

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
Very strong group this year. And for the first time in a long time, I think the guys are stronger than the gals.

Hmmm, you know, I hadn't thought about it, but I think you might be right.

I also feel like this is one of the more memorable groups overall. I wonder if there's something to having the All-Stars pick the finalists, versus the judges...

Top 8 thoughts:

- loved the opening group number!

- I was worried when they said "yay no story!" because I usually prefer the narrative pieces but I loved Marko and Koine. So did my 10 month old daughter, who recently learned to clap lol

- is it just me or does Taylor look like Lorde? Anyway... Wow guess they repurposed Vanessa's extensions from last week hahaha. Taylor looks good though actually! And she dances with convincing swag. Robert on the other hand... Lol

- speaking of Vanessa, she looks surprisingly good in the white

- Gaby and Lex were beautiful. And holy abs, batman

- cute and clever cha cha actually! My expectations were low but I liked it and thought Cyrus and Kaylee did well

- Comfort's dress looks very difficult to dance in. Meanwhile Mark seems to float and fly. He's elevating a mediocre routine

- whoa Kiki is unrecognizable... The routine was so-so to me

- bah unfortunately I found Fikshun and Dassy's routine boring, and more about gymnastics in a way than dancing

- loooooved Allison and Logan's sweet hip hop love story. Also loved their totally normal casual clothing. Wish we could have more of that

- usually I like props but I'm not sure how I felt about the clear plastic panes. The routine seemed to move a lot better when they weren't in use

- oohhh good the newbies are dancing together too! I feel like starting with all stars has allowed the dancing to be of a higher caliber right off the bat, but it'll be good to see the contestants work together now that they're a little less green

- not super exciting, but Sydney and Lex's piece was solid

- Cat isn't technically wearing feathers but she almost looks like a bird with them

- what a fun and fantastic salsa! Kiki looked amazingggggg. And Koine seemed to keep up, although she pulled a lot of faces

- wonder how they chose which would be shadow... Logan is incredible. Kaylee seems like a nice person but she hasn't managed to excite me at all this season

- for the umbrella routine, it was cute but not a heavy hitter, which is too bad since these two apparently need a lift... I think Mark danced it better but Dassy performed it better

- NOOOOO again two of my faves in the bottom! :(

- and NOOOOOOOOO they sent home one of my faves! :( :( :(

- I really don't think she deserved to go home vs Kaylee. Boo. Sigh.
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 05:51:22 PM »
Wow! Mark Kannemura choreod that opening number. Just love him.

Vanessa is looking weird. Not just the platinum wig, but those crazy rings. It is a wig, isnt it?

Koine and Mark are so beautifully in sync. I loved that it was pure dance for a change.

Taylor and Robert. She brought it this week. Im so glad.

Lex and Gaby. Words fail me.

Kaylee and Cyrus and Val. Love to see Val do Latin.  WTG Kaylee! Yup, Val is a good teacher. When Cyrus competed, I got upset every week that someone more talented than him was eliminated. Then he would dance and blow me away.

Mark and Comfort. Gotta love Mark but Comfort has turned into a siren. I wanted to watch Mark because hes very entertaining, but Comfort stole the spotlight.

Kiki and Jenna. So unlike a Travis Wall routine. Kiki just takes all of this choreo and makes it his own.

Dassy and FikShun. Theyve broken out of the adorable mold.

Logan and Allison. Awww, they were so sweet together.

Taylor and Lex. Great choreo and they absolutely did it justice. Goosebumps.

Koine and Kiki. He did a great job of channeling Val. Could have watched that a while longer.

Kaylee and Logan. Of course, he outdanced her, but it was a cool routine.

Dassy and Mark. Cute but I always enjoy watching Mark. I guess Vanessa is too young to remember season 2 and the umbrella routine with Ivan and Allison. It was Allisons first hip-hop and what I think got her eliminated. Not as much umbrella as this routine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF94F5NrMVA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF94F5NrMVA</a>

Hmmm, not happy about the elimination either.

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
Haha yeah, it was a wig. I liked it though! I mean, not forever, but for a night? Sure. I think Vanessa is cool and gorgeous, which helps her pull off a lot of stuff.

I also like how we're basically like, "Oh that routine was good. And that one. And that one too!" It's like a dream come true, just a bunch of good dancing. :)

Makes the eliminations each week pretty tough though.
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »
Haha yeah, it was a wig. I liked it though! I mean, not forever, but for a night? Sure. I think Vanessa is cool and gorgeous, which helps her pull off a lot of stuff.

I also like how we're basically like, "Oh that routine was good. And that one. And that one too!" It's like a dream come true, just a bunch of good dancing. :)

Makes the eliminations each week pretty tough though.

I liked the style of the wig on Vanessa, too.

I wonder if they keep Kaylee because she's a character? Nigel really seems to like her.

I really hate thinking about the next elimination. It's not only the dancer that we lose, but the all-star. I always watch for Jasmine in the all-star group dances. Back to youtube to watch her and Aaron.

Once I found Ivan and Allison, I had to watch their contemporary. Then I had to watch the Top Four season 2, Sexy Back. Which led to Danny and Lacey's Samba. And then I went on to Pasha and Anya. Still the best Latin couple. Now I have to find the vid with them and Cristina. Anya is a beast for sure.

Yes, I'm addicted.  ;)

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty bummed to lose Jasmine too. That part of this format stings worse than losing two newbies, I guess.

(But I'm still really liking this format overall!)
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

Offline prairiesky

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »
I am enjoying SYTYCD this season.  I am happy that the dancers are now dancing with each other.  These young dancers are soooo good.  I believe that any one of them can win.  I did agree with last night's cut.  The remaining six are so talented that I wouldn't be disappointed by any one of them winning. Again this year, the choreographers are amazing.  Dancing absolutely moves me.  I love this show.  And, I should say the the mentors are wonderful as well.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »
If I had my 'druthers, I'd pick Kiki for the win. But, I wouldn't be disappointed if Logan or Lex or Mark won. I like Koine and Taylor and Keylee is growing on me. She's definitely improving. But the gals are not nearly as strong as the guys.

I think Nigel is pushing for Kaylee to win but I hope that doesn't happen. Remember when he pushed Sabra for the win? She's vanished into oblivion. Then there was the Will debacle.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:57:59 PM by Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
I meant to say that I think Taylor is far and away the best of the gals.

Gabby and Lex did an awesome hip-hop. They did Luther Brown justice.

Allison and Logan. Love Sean Cheeseman. Wow! Love Allison. No matter what she does, she's fabulous. And Logan kept up with all of that. Amazing.

Kaylee and Cyrus. They used to have Tyce choreographing cringe-worthy Broadway, but when they let him do contemporary. he did some amazing work. This routine was also amazing. It really suited them both.

Jenna and Kiki. What a routine. Now that's Broadway. Kiki is the most mature of the dancers (and I don't mean years) and he's still my favorite. And I still want him to change his name.

Koine and Marko. Marko is one of my favorite dancers but Koine out-jived him for sure. Surprised to see Dmitry choreo jive.

Happy to see Brian Friedman back. Dare I hope Mia might come back?

Taylor and Robert. I've never been a fan of Mandy Moore's choreo, but this was extraordinary. Taylor danced beautifully and you could see Robert was feeling all of her emotion.

It's getting late and I'll have to finish watching tomorrow.

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »
A third in the thread! Hello, prairiesky! :D

Lol Gertie, I stopped at the same place you did. Again, apologies for my "shorthand" thoughts here. Hard to watch, much less type out good commentary, when you're also chasing a 10 month old. :P

top 7

- cat deeley = modern pippi long stocking?

- opening group number was meh for me. Some parts were great (mostly when everyone was out together) but everyone was kind of unrecognizable, and some parts didn't feel... Cohesive? Polished?

- lex and Gaby look amazing (dance wise) in the package!! Hate her hair and makeup in the actual performance though. :( and I'm not sure the choreography really ended up showcasing much... It's very small and subtle, which doesn't play as well on tv

- African jazz was pretty good. And whoa, Logan with those fouettes!!!

- mark and his mom were so cute/cool in that package. He definitely wins in the personality department this year. Fun solo too

- whyyyyyyy does set design insist on going black whenever costume goes black?

- powerful moments in tyce's piece -- and maybe the most I've liked Kaylee -- but I dunno if it hit me hard overall. I like Kaylee's hair all one color though

- Omgggg koine was an adorable baby!!! Great solo too! At first I was skeptical of the costume but it worked really well in movement

- I'm amazed how much kiki has grown on me. Not my favorite routine but soooooo enjoyable because of how into it they are!

- omggg Logan's solo! I've never seen a break dance move like that look so poetic

- Kaylee solo was solid

- jasmine! All star group number was neat

- Taylor is so well suited to this kind of choreography. Really lovely
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
They used to have Tyce choreographing cringe-worthy Broadway, but when they let him do contemporary. he did some amazing work.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE. I always groaned when I saw that someone had drawn a Tyce Broadway.

Surprised to see Dmitry choreo jive.

Same.
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
Comfort and Mark. Okay. Not too sure about the choreo.

OMG, Dwight and Desmond. Sorry, but Kaylee really wasn't up to D&D. They kept her way in the back for a reason. But Lex and Logan were fabulous. Did you ever watch One Last Dance with Patrick Swayze, Lisa Niemi, and George DeLaPena? Wonderful, wonderful dancing. Dwight did some of the choreo and Desmond dances. Unbelievable. I think I have to watch it tonight.

Taylor, Koine, Mark and Kiki. Kiki nearly dropped Taylor, but the choreo was unbelievable. They absolutely pulled that off.

Okay. I'm officially bummed at America. I shouldn't be, though. The one who went home this time probably wouldn't have made it through the next round. But America isn't going to get it right unless Nigel stops pushing.

Cat needs a new stylist.

Prairie Sky, glad to see you've joined us.

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
 - Mark + Comfort: Oh look, black costumes on black background again. *headdesk* Ninjas... eh. Not even worth my energy to decide if it's cultural appropriation. Not an exciting routine either way.

- Omgggg tiny ballroom-dancing Kiki! Too cute. His solo: I think he exhibits exceptional musicality, which is one of my favorite qualities in a dancer.

- Side note: Are they responsible for choreographing their own solos every week? Or do they have assistance? Being a good dancer doesn't necessarily mean being good at choreo. Just curious.

- Lex + Logan + Kaylee: Hm, they look like a cool combo in the package. A "dream team" I didn't realize I wanted until they showed it to me, haha. In the actual performance, I'm surprised to find that I don't think Logan is keeping up with Lex. (They were hard to tell apart; at first I thought it was the other way around!) I mean, they're obviously BOTH incredible, but there's something just a bit more... *organic* about Lex's movements. And yeah, Kaylee wasn't as good as either of them. Still, I really liked the routine overall.

- I wonder why Nigel likes Kaylee so much?

- Kiki + Mark + Koine + Taylor: Powerful concept -- this theme is on the minds of a lot of artists right now -- and "music," but I wish the choreo had been a little stronger to match. It was good, but not great.

- Kiki in the bottom?! I'm really surprised! Mark and Kaylee again, though, which means they're definitely not connecting. I'm shocked about that for Mark.

- LOL I love how Nigel was like, "Kiki GTFO. There's no way we're losing you."

- Don't agree with the judges' choice, from a dance standpoint, but I knew it was coming, and I guess if America keeps saying something, they may as well listen.
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »
I like Cat's dress.

Loved the opening number.

Lex and Gaby. That was exhausting. I see Emma wasn't there with Sasha. Gaby was wonderful. Lex was a little gangly. Great routine, although I never think it's a Samba without Samba Rolls.

Koine and Marko. What an adorable couple. And what a beautiful, complex dance. Such control, such grace.

Taylor reminds me a bit of Melanie. Her style is different, but she has that same seamless quality of movement.

Kiki and Jenna. You know how I feel about Kiki. Loved Jenna's Tina Turner moves. Cat should not attempt to do that. Wasn't that Mary's first Hot Tamale Train? Kiki deserves to be in the top four.

Kaylee and Cyrus. Well done, Chbeeb. This is the sort of thing Kaylee should be doing.

Loved the all-stars. Beautiful choreo, beautiful use of costumes.

Taylor and Robert. A match made in heaven.

Allison and Logan. Ooops, Kristan, black on black. Not my favorite dance, but Allison is always wonderful and Logan is a good match.

MIA!!!!!!!! I've been so wanting her to come back. I actually stopped breathing when Cat made the announcement. Ave Maria, Jeanine and Kayla (The Four Sections) so many wonderful dances.

Koine and Lex. I have never liked Doriana's discos. They've had much better disco choreographers. On the Canadian show, Tre (who's last name escapes me) did some wonderful disco.

Taylor and Logan. That was soooo Mark. They really brought his choreo to life.

Kiki and Kaylee. Kiki brought the fun to it that I knew he would. But I think Kaylee was actually better than Kiki because he kept throwing in his Latin hips (not that I'm complaining). Not my favorite Bollywood. I think I'll have to watch JT and Marko.

Noooo, not Logan. But I think I would have been just as disappointed if it had been Koine.

Great show!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »
How could I forget Addiction? Absolutely one of Mia's greatest.

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
LOL Gertie, thanks for thinking of me when you see black on black. And like you, I am super excited about Mia! Agree on your thoughts about Koine and Logan at the end there. :( At least they all get to go on tour!

Top 6

- black costumes on black background! I feel like I should make a sytycd drinking game...

- meh on opening group routine. Sometimes good, sometimes just felt gimmicky / one note

- yay for Mandy and Travis on their Emmys!

- probably my least favorite that Vanessa has looked. But  it's still not awful, and she keeps it interesting

- Lol at lex's face when Gaby says "sexy lexy." haaaaate his hair and her costume in the performance. Honestly makes it hard for me to focus on the dancing... But I think it was good?

- whaaaaat is Mary wearing???!

- Kaylee's boxing background is really cool. Solo was quite good

- koine looked soooo delicate and lovely. And they both danced beautifully. Really moved by that piece, one of my favorites from the season

- nothing revolutionary but Taylor's segment and solo were good

- lol Jenna teasing kiki. He did all right but the tight collar gave the impression That some of his movements were constrained. He looks really dapper though

- phenomenallllllll solo from Logan. Such joy and lightness in his movements

- I'm with Mary, that wasn't a great routine. They didn't seem in rhythm together, physically or emotionally. I didn't believe Cyrus's performance

- LOVED the all star routine with red capes!!

- Taylor is so cute. Black black black black black. Argh! Not like I want to be able to see their movements or anything. Anyway, neat routine, high in not sure either of them really owned it as much as other dancers could have. Also not sure about the facial stripes?

- lex's mentor looks like the epitome of a hipster lol. Wasn't his best solo

- black on black! I'm starting to think they're doing this to torture me. Ignoring that, I liked this routine a lot

- awwww another awesome big brother story. Getting me right in the feels. Good solo from kiki but not my favorite. Pandered a bit there with the shirtless ending lol, but whatever

- Japanese duo! As a person of Asian descent, I do appreciate the representation!! Koine looks like she's having a blast. Lex is keeping up, barely, haha. (oh wait he actually looks like he might have gotten hurt? Oh no! Hope he'll be ok for the finale)

- great choreography but way more upbeat than I was expecting. I like how different the costumes were but also found them mildly distracting

- for some reason I'm realizing... Have we had any Indian contestants before?? Kaylee and kiki did okay but not great

- LOL I think koine might have cursed when they announced her name? not positive though, even after rewinding.
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

Offline Kristan Hoffman

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
- loved the opening group hip hop. I know they tried to give the top 4 some of the spotlight, but the all stars really shone

- oh! Haha of course I loved it! Nappytabs!!!!

- oh! No elimination tonight? Nice

- Vanessa and Mary apparently got the same dress code note lol. Love cat's dress. Great cut and color on her

- love the elements concept and costumes! Wish the choreography hadn't kept them so separated though

- horrid costume for Taylor. The remix isn't very compelling, musically. And you can tell ballroom is not Taylor's thing. Sorry, not a great routine in any way, for me. I'm shocked Mary was so approving

- lex and koine and pizza, so cute!! One of my fave routines this season, and I already want to watch it again

- This kiki and Jenna piece is a repeat, right? Still so good. (and um are they a thing?? Because... hmm. I know about Max but...)

- Asian mommies encouraging their kids to pursue artistic passion... My soft spot! Not my fave lex solo but it was fine

- gah, marko and koine's interview is making me so weepy... don't love her choice of routine, though, and I don't think it's going to help her going into the finale?

- hm, not my fave kiki solo. he usually owns these

- I feel like there is probably a lot of symbolism in the costumes that I'm not fully understanding... I can feel the themes coming through though. (BLM) another great group hip hop.

- hate the stockings, but I like the general vibe of the routine. Koine's dancing seems so much smoother, sharper, and more polished than Taylor's, to me. Maybe just a maturity thing? (I think she's a little older?)

- yay another hip hop! Boo black on black. we had almost escaped it this whole episode! i love how luther showcased their individual talents and personalities, but i kinda wish the stage had been used more effectively. it's a very contained, tight routine. not super dynamic. good/cute finish though!

- omggggg HAHAHAHA nigel calling out lex for his samba, and kiki with that academy week clip of him sucking at hip hop (although it really IS amazing how far he has come!)

- i don't want taylor to win (nor do i think she's better than kiki or koine) but i really hope this helps her career!! what a brave, special girl

- I only vaguely remember this Travis wall, so it's nice to see again. also neat to see her dance it again, but with more experience under her belt. very strong, emotional ending

- side note: damn robert is hot...

- side note #2: I like how Gaby keeps such a natural look

- I didn't realize so many all stars wanted lex! he and gaby have a cute banter/relationship. poor gaby has wear that giant marshmellow of a dress again. but lex looks fly. and at least she gets to tap. not my fave routine, but a fun one like they said

- aww i LOVE when parents are admiring of their children. impressive solo by taylor. and she wears those "stylish swimsuit" leotards well

- clever costume change for koine, but i hate to say it: this routine didn't do it for me. i was expecting a lot more, as i love koine and kiki, and everyone loves travis...

- whooooo boy, LEX is getting mia michaels? that could be very interesting... OMGGGGGGGG THEY ARE A THING?!?!??!?!?!? TOOOOOOOO CUUUUUTTEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! damn, now i am a sobbing mess. (and lol like hunger games, it's def going to get them more fan votes.) honestly i do feel like this is the most... tender and romantic that lex has ever performed. love taylor's costume. (like, i would legit wear that if the skirt weren't sheer, haha.) omg hahaha the fans are going to go NUTS for this romance. (I know i am!) mary's reaction is adorable.

- "uh, i learned some japanese" ROFL

Man, I'd be happy with any of them winning. Kiki and Koine are my faves and I think the "best," but it's really been an overall fantastic year. I think I generally liked EVERYBODY.
  Twenty-Somewhere

www.kristanhoffman.com

www.newhouse5.com

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
Ah, Kristin, not Max (who just married Pita). Jenna is with Val, but I thought the same as you about her and Kiki.

I've been missing NappyTabs. Glad they're back. Lex and Mia should be a match made in heaven. Lex and Taylor? Hmmm, cute.

It won't be on Hulu until tonight.