Author Topic: Upgrading Operating System???  (Read 553 times)  

Offline MrKnucklehead

• View Profile
Upgrading Operating System???
« on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »

my Kindle Fire 6" HD is on the old O/S with Carousel on Home Page...

I went to Manage my Devices, but, there is NOT  an option to "upgrade to latest operating system"...

I don't have a working computer right now, so it has to be accessing Amazon.com thru a mobile device...

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading Operating System???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
The OS updates get pushed out shortly after release, but I think they stop pushing after a few months. To get them you have to leave the wireless turned on, though the device can be in sleep mode.

If you've not gotten it, you can do it manually but it generally requires access to a computer. You have to download the file from the help page on Amazon and then copy it to your device and run it. Don't think a mobile device would work because you have to be able to physically connect the Fire as a drive. I don't know if you can download it to the Fire and then use a file management app to put it in the right place on the device so that the update will run.

You might try calling Kindle/Fire customer support and telling them you never got the update, explain how you don't have a computer, and see if they will push it to you.

Having a way to grab it via the MYC&D (Manage Your Content and Devices) page would be a good thing, but that's never been how you do it manually. Still, I think I'll make that suggestion to the Zon!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline MrKnucklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
The OS updates get pushed out shortly after release, but I think they stop pushing after a few months. To get them you have to leave the wireless turned on, though the device can be in sleep mode.

If you've not gotten it, you can do it manually but it generally requires access to a computer. You have to download the file from the help page on Amazon and then copy it to your device and run it. Don't think a mobile device would work because you have to be able to physically connect the Fire as a drive. I don't know if you can download it to the Fire and then use a file management app to put it in the right place on the device so that the update will run.

You might try calling Kindle/Fire customer support and telling them you never got the update, explain how you don't have a computer, and see if they will push it to you.

Having a way to grab it via the MYC&D (Manage Your Content and Devices) page would be a good thing, but that's never been how you do it manually. Still, I think I'll make that suggestion to the Zon!

Thanks  Ann, I used MYC&D to upgrade a different Kindle Fire but on that device it had the upgrade option which this one doesn't...

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
Thanks  Ann, I used MYC&D to upgrade a different Kindle Fire but on that device it had the upgrade option which this one doesn't...

Huh. I've never noticed you could do that. . . . I've always just gone through Help to find the appropriate file and download. But, I don't play with my Fire much, I'm afraid.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR