KB Featured Book
Druan Episode 1 - Dawn
by Mark Robson

$free
Kindle Edition published 2016-10-19
Bestseller ranking:

Product Description
Darkness consumed the world for centuries, under thick black clouds that blocked the sun. Without light, the plants withered and died, and the animals starved. Few survived in this wasteland of night. With a final, desperate effort, the shamans gathered together to form a great chant. They gave their lives to open the clouds and let sunlight shine back on the world.

When the scattered remnants of humanity step from the dark, with nothing but their wits and the waning power of an old shaman to protect them, they are faced with a cracked, lifeless desert. Led by a child, guided by the spirits, their deeds will become myth.

To survive, they must train a new generation of shamans to face the coming dangers. Thirteen students to guide the people into a new age. And, of those students, two young sisters will grow to stand at the heart of a legend.

Start Druan today with Episode 1. Each episode is written as a short story, to ...

Author Topic: How do you keep your Kindle clean?  (Read 1170 times)  

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
How do you keep your Kindle clean?
« on: December 21, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
Any tips on how to keep the Kindle Voyage clean around the black borders? Mainly fingermarks and smears. Advice appreciated; thanks.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: How do you keep your Kindle clean?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
I use these for all of my mobile devices.  They work great and are kind of fun, to boot.

Evriholder Fuzzy Finger, 2 Pk set, Assorted colors
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
I use these for all of my mobile devices.  They work great and are kind of fun, to boot.

Evriholder Fuzzy Finger, 2 Pk set, Assorted colors

Thanks Betsy -- I'll check them out :-)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
for smears and fingerprings I use eyeglass clothes. For the cracks I use a paint brush. One of those flat ones, gets all the gunk out of the rims.  :)

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 06:20:35 PM »
for smears and fingerprings I use eyeglass clothes. For the cracks I use a paint brush. One of those flat ones, gets all the gunk out of the rims.  :)

Thanks for the tip on the flat paint brush :-)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »
Its good for my laptop keyboard also. I have it always on my side table. Since I have had kindles. The former cracks used to hold all the crumbs and cat hair. but even the level oasis and Voyage still have cracks on the outer rim for stuff to get in. Can't get it out any other way.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »

I can't believe you've never told me about the paint brush - perfect!
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 12:20:06 PM »
I do the same thing with nearly all my electronic devices with screens.  I first get a nice clean sponge damp with lukewarm water.  No soap or any chemicals.  Evenly damp throughout.  Then I squeeze like crazy till it's just barely damp.  I don't want loose water on my screen.  Then I wipe the screen really good, scrubbing a little.  Then I take a clean microfiber cloth and wipe it down real good.  I inspect it and if it doesn't seem perfectly clean I do it again, first cleaning the sponge and wringing it again.

And that's it.  I blow out the edges as needed but I don't worry about them.  A couple of times I did get something in the seams and I used a toothpick but I generally keep my devices away from food or anything that might get them dirty.

By the way, there's a little trick I learned to enable me to eat while reading and still turn pages easily.  I make sure at least one of my little fingers stays very clean while I eat and I only swipe the screen to turn pages with that finger.  It works very well.  Back in the days when I was still eating ribs or fried chicken occasionally I could eat them while reading and never get a fingerprint on the screen.  I just make sure no food gets on that pinky.

One other thing I do, since I've read a lot of times that cleaning the screen, while necessary, is one of the more dangerous and abusive things we can do to it, is I don't clean it until there's something obvious.  I don't look for excuses to clean it.  I'm perfectly willing to let someone find a fingerprint on my screen.  If that makes me a bad person, so be it. :)

Barry (the slob)

Barry

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
When I was at work I would read while I ate my lunch every day - so greasy finger marks all over the screen of my Voyage were inevitable.

I'm afraid to say I would just wipe it with the wet wipe I used for my hands and then dry it with a paper hankie - made much easier by the continuous bezel/screen of the Voyage.  :o

Though I would guess neither of those things would be officially recommended, after months and months of doing that at least five times a week and no harm coming to the Kindle, I'll probably continue. 8)
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »
I do the same thing with nearly all my electronic devices with screens.  I first get a nice clean sponge damp with lukewarm water.  No soap or any chemicals.  Evenly damp throughout.  Then I squeeze like crazy till it's just barely damp.  I don't want loose water on my screen.  Then I wipe the screen really good, scrubbing a little.  Then I take a clean microfiber cloth and wipe it down real good.  I inspect it and if it doesn't seem perfectly clean I do it again, first cleaning the sponge and wringing it again.

And that's it.  I blow out the edges as needed but I don't worry about them.  A couple of times I did get something in the seams and I used a toothpick but I generally keep my devices away from food or anything that might get them dirty.

By the way, there's a little trick I learned to enable me to eat while reading and still turn pages easily.  I make sure at least one of my little fingers stays very clean while I eat and I only swipe the screen to turn pages with that finger.  It works very well.  Back in the days when I was still eating ribs or fried chicken occasionally I could eat them while reading and never get a fingerprint on the screen.  I just make sure no food gets on that pinky.

One other thing I do, since I've read a lot of times that cleaning the screen, while necessary, is one of the more dangerous and abusive things we can do to it, is I don't clean it until there's something obvious.  I don't look for excuses to clean it.  I'm perfectly willing to let someone find a fingerprint on my screen.  If that makes me a bad person, so be it. :)

Barry (the slob)

Barry

Thanks Barry -- great hints!

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
When I was at work I would read while I ate my lunch every day - so greasy finger marks all over the screen of my Voyage were inevitable.

I'm afraid to say I would just wipe it with the wet wipe I used for my hands and then dry it with a paper hankie - made much easier by the continuous bezel/screen of the Voyage.  :o

Though I would guess neither of those things would be officially recommended, after months and months of doing that at least five times a week and no harm coming to the Kindle, I'll probably continue. 8)

Good to know -- thanks for sharing  :D

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »
I'm afraid to say I would just wipe it with the wet wipe I used for my hands

The Voyage, if I remember correctly, has a glass screen so you're not likely to hurt it.  I'm pretty sure some of the Kindles have plastic screens, or at least plastic surfaces, and that can be problematic.  I don't know what's in those wipes but some cleaning products can damage plastic.  One of the serious offenders is Windex since it contains ammonia, which is very bad for plastic.

By the way, another sometimes missed no-no is Kleenex or it's competitors.  Most papers have pumice added to them.  Without pumice you couldn't write on paper.  The paper with the most pumice is kleenex and it's ilk.  It was designed to scrub various mysterious compounds from women's faces and it seems that took some doing.

An important exception to this is toilet paper.  It's one of the few papers you can buy with no pumice added, for what I hope are obvious reasons but I suspect I'll get into trouble if I try to get into too much detail about that. :)

By the way, avoid toilet paper (at least for this purpose) made from recycled paper.  It might or might not contain pumice.

Most of you probably know how, when you have a cold, your nose gets red and raw on the end.  That's from Kleenex.  Use a hanky or toilet paper on your nose when you have a cold and that problem almost goes away.

I learned about this while taking a class in paper making about 50 years ago.  Some might be out of date but I've never heard that it is and I still use toilet paper to clean my eyeglasses with never a problem.

Barry

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 04:56:48 PM »
The Voyage, if I remember correctly, has a glass screen so you're not likely to hurt it.  I'm pretty sure some of the Kindles have plastic screens, or at least plastic surfaces, and that can be problematic.  I don't know what's in those wipes but some cleaning products can damage plastic.  One of the serious offenders is Windex since it contains ammonia, which is very bad for plastic.

By the way, another sometimes missed no-no is Kleenex or it's competitors.  Most papers have pumice added to them.  Without pumice you couldn't write on paper.  The paper with the most pumice is kleenex and it's ilk.  It was designed to scrub various mysterious compounds from women's faces and it seems that took some doing.

An important exception to this is toilet paper.  It's one of the few papers you can buy with no pumice added, for what I hope are obvious reasons but I suspect I'll get into trouble if I try to get into too much detail about that. :)

By the way, avoid toilet paper (at least for this purpose) made from recycled paper.  It might or might not contain pumice.

Most of you probably know how, when you have a cold, your nose gets red and raw on the end.  That's from Kleenex.  Use a hanky or toilet paper on your nose when you have a cold and that problem almost goes away.

I learned about this while taking a class in paper making about 50 years ago.  Some might be out of date but I've never heard that it is and I still use toilet paper to clean my eyeglasses with never a problem.

Barry

Thanks Barry -- that's fascinating about the pumice  :D .

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »
I'm not sure if you would be interested in skinning your Voyage, but I only lasted about a week before I ordered one.  The fingerprints on the bezel were driving me crazy.  I got a nice matte skin and don't notice the fingerprints any more.

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »
I'm not sure if you would be interested in skinning your Voyage, but I only lasted about a week before I ordered one.  The fingerprints on the bezel were driving me crazy.  I got a nice matte skin and don't notice the fingerprints any more.

Thanks Andra ... do you have a link to the matte skin you bought? 

Offline DianaHM

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 04:48:42 AM »
Before thi i did not know how to keep my Kindle clean, now I know.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 08:15:24 AM »
Thanks Andra ... do you have a link to the matte skin you bought? 

I get all my skins from Decal Girl - www.decalgirl.com

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »
I get all my skins from Decal Girl - www.decalgirl.com

Thanks -- perfect!

Offline patrickt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »
Now you've all got me wondering when I last cleaned a Kindle screen. Nope, can't remember. I don't clean them often. The screen isn't shiny reflective like a cell phone and it doesn't seem to get fingerprints so much.

When I do clean it, I spray a little homemade eyeglass cleaner on a soft cloth and wipe it down, using my fingernail to get the cloth into the crease around the bezel.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
A friend bought me a Brookstone screen cleaner a few years ago. I guess they don't sell it anymore, but they do sell this one. Same thing, different brand.

http://www.brookstone.com/pd/dustin-screen-cleaner---3-pack/844503p.html

Mine's still good and works beautifully.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
A friend bought me a Brookstone screen cleaner a few years ago. I guess they don't sell it anymore, but they do sell this one. Same thing, different brand.

Oooh, those are cute.  Also sold through Amazon with cheaper shipping from Brookstone, $15 net (it shows $8 shipping from the Brookstone site for $18 net?) and there's a different brand that's cheaper yet with Prime--$12 net, though without the keychain one, it looks.

Screen Cleaning Ball, Dual Action Microfiber, for Touch Screen Smart Phone/Tablet/laptop, Pack of 3, by Awesome Screen
$11.99 with Prime

Dustin Screen Cleaner - 3 Pack
$9.99 plus $4.99 shipping
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:16:11 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »
Oooh, those are cute.  Also sold through Amazon with cheaper shipping from Brookstone, $15 net (it shows $8 shipping from the Brookstone site for $18 net?) and there's a different brand that's cheaper yet with Prime--$12 net, though without the keychain one, it looks.

Screen Cleaning Ball, Dual Action Microfiber, for Touch Screen Smart Phone/Tablet/laptop, Pack of 3, by Awesome Screen
$11.99 with Prime

Dustin Screen Cleaner - 3 Pack
$9.99 plus $4.99 shipping

I've only had to use the microfiber side. Works well on my phone too and any other screen.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »
I don't know much about terrycloth but I'd be very careful using any kind of dry cloth to clean the screen.  Dust particles are often abrasive and a dry cloth is likely to become sandpaper-like if it picks up much dust.  A damp cloth won't easily let the dust accumulate on the surface.  Even car manuals warn against cleaning the windshield with a dry cloth.  And for those who do the reason soon becomes apparent.  I learned about that when I was a kid working in a gas station.

Barry

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 11:29:32 PM »

Thanks, Gertie Kindle  ;).