Author Topic: Kindle questions.  (Read 1351 times)  

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
Kindle questions.
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »
Hi guys. So my gf is looking to buy a kindle now. I currently have the voyage but she says she doesn't need one that crazy and might just go for the basic kindle as she doesn't need the light and likes that it is smaller and lighter. She is planning on doing the 5 monthly payment option because why not split it up if it's interest free. She was saying though that she read some reviews of problems with the basic kindle but didn't elaborate on what they were. Do you know of any issues with the basic kindle that she should opt for the paperwhite or voyage instead? Also I know that amazon will run sales on kindles at times. Is there any pattern to them? Should she wait a month or so and see if they have a sale sometime soon? She doesn't need to purchase one now and isn't in a hurry to do so but at the same time don't want to wait 6 months for a sale. If there is typically something in february that you guys know about then we can wait. Just figured I would get the help and opinons from this forum as it was very helpful when I was looking to get my Voyage last summer.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »
The screen on the newest Basic Kindle is pretty nice. If you don't need light, that may be a nice pickup. The downside is that it's a little thick and heavy comparatively to the Voyage and doesn't feel as good as hand.  A possible option could also be the Kindle 4 (BabyKindle) which has no touch layer or light layer so the E-ink really pops. It's an older E-ink but the size is excellent, it's much thinner in hand than the newest basic Kindle, the buttons are my favorite of the button options and the screen still looks pretty great to me. Plus you could get one on ebay for 25-30 dollars. The nice thing about used Kindles is they're often in great shape because readers aren't throwing their Kindles around like we all do with our phones.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
There is a reason the Paperwhite is the best selling Kindle.

It's .4 inches longer and 2 ounces heavier.

The screen is 300 ppi vs. 167 ppi.

And the light is great. I need the light reading in my living room without a great lamp and reading in dim restaurants. I always have a Kindle with me and read wherever I find myself.

Amazon has a thirty-day return policy so if your friend tries the Basic and decides she wants the light you can swap the Basic for a Paperwhite.

If someone were going to give me a Kindle as a gift, I'd get the Paperwhite over the voyage or the Oasis but that's just me.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
People occasionally report isolated problems with various kindle models -- including the basic Kindle, the Voyage, the PaperWhite, and the Oasis. But, to my knowledge, there has been nothing systemic with any of those. There were some more common ailments in earlier models -- fading int he sun on the first and second generations, and an issue with battery drain on the third gen/keyboard model when used with the Amazon cover.

As to sales . . . . I don't think there's any way to predict exactly. BUT . . . .given that Valentines Day is only about a month away, if you're not in a hurry, it might be smart to wait until early February. It seems to me they have put various models on sale around then in past years.

As to what model to get . . . . They're all great at what they do, so it's really a matter of what is most important to the user.

The basic model is, obviously, the least expensive. It has a lower resolution screen than the lighted models, and no light -- but if you are reading where there is already plenty of light, that probably won't be an issue. It's pretty small and light on its own; the Amazon cover adds weight, but there are 3rd party options that are lighter. Note that you can not get it with 3G -- it's WiFi only. But you do have color options: black or white. :)

The PW is probably the most popular model because it's still very reasonably priced, but has a better screen and the built in light. Honestly, I'd not have one without a light at this point -- for me it doesn't even need to be on very bright to be helpful with contrast. But it's more than an ounce heavier than the basic and a bit bigger.  It also has both a black and white option.

The Voyage is my favorite -- same great screen as the PW with somewhat better lighting and smaller and lighter -- almost as small and light as the basic. It also has the haptic buttons, but those are a neutral feature for me -- neither pro or con. BUT, you pay for the extra features in the smaller package: it's $80 more than the PW, $120 more than the basic.

The Oasis is obviously the top of the line model. My issue with it is purely aesthetic: I just think it's too square. ::) But it's very nicely engineered, and the buttons are great. Out of the cover it's extremely light, though I find it almost too small for me to hold comfortably. It's got the same screen as the PW and Voyage, but even more lights. I honestly don't see a big difference between the 6 on the Voyage and the 10 on the Oasis, however. And you pay a premium price: it's $90 more than the Voyage, but you do get a cover for that price. You have a choice of 3 colors of cover with auxiliary battery; there are third party options that do NOT have a battery, but you can't buy the Oasis without getting a cover, I don't think.

All of them hold thousands of books and all will have battery life of weeks; the Oasis claims months. I'd take that with a grain of salt. Regardless, they'll all last way WAY longer than the average phone or tablet because of the eInk screen.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
She ended up ordering the basic Kindle in white. She said she wouldn't need the backlight because she usually reads a normal book anyway. She got this because it would be easier than carrying a book to work with her.

Offline INFINUS

• India
  • Follow The Sound Radiated From Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
Hi guys. So my gf is looking to buy a kindle now. I currently have the voyage but she says she doesn't need one that crazy and might just go for the basic kindle as she doesn't need the light and likes that it is smaller and lighter. She is planning on doing the 5 monthly payment option because why not split it up if it's interest free. She was saying though that she read some reviews of problems with the basic kindle but didn't elaborate on what they were. Do you know of any issues with the basic kindle that she should opt for the paperwhite or voyage instead? Also I know that amazon will run sales on kindles at times. Is there any pattern to them? Should she wait a month or so and see if they have a sale sometime soon? She doesn't need to purchase one now and isn't in a hurry to do so but at the same time don't want to wait 6 months for a sale. If there is typically something in february that you guys know about then we can wait. Just figured I would get the help and opinons from this forum as it was very helpful when I was looking to get my Voyage last summer.

I would suggest to buy paperwhite not Basic Kindle. Once you get friendly with reading on Kindle you will surely miss a light.

If tax free, then paperwhite is good choice and it is technically superior to basic Kindle.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:04:25 AM »
She ended up ordering the basic Kindle in white. She said she wouldn't need the backlight because she usually reads a normal book anyway. She got this because it would be easier than carrying a book to work with her.

She'll enjoy it. She can carry multiple books. I love carrying a library with me at all times!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:11:54 AM »
She'll enjoy it. She can carry multiple books. I love carrying a library with me at all times!

Betsy

I know she will enjoy it. She struggled with getting a kindle because she definitely prefers an actual book over a kindle. I actually think she is going to use the kindle at home and just use her phone to pick up where she left off while on her lunch break at work. I love having my voyage with me all the time. I think after using the kindle for a while she may end up bringing that with her to work instead of just using her phone because I know once I got used to the e-ink display I couldn't go back to reading on a tablet or a phone.

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 06:13:18 AM »
I was actually half tempted to order an oasis for myself and give her my voyage but I just got the premium leather cover for my voyage for christmas and from what I've read I think the oasis wouldn't be a drastic upgrade. Plus I love my voyage.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:51 AM »
I know she will enjoy it. She struggled with getting a kindle because she definitely prefers an actual book over a kindle. I actually think she is going to use the kindle at home and just use her phone to pick up where she left off while on her lunch break at work. I love having my voyage with me all the time. I think after using the kindle for a while she may end up bringing that with her to work instead of just using her phone because I know once I got used to the e-ink display I couldn't go back to reading on a tablet or a phone.

If she's used to carrying a paper book, adjusting to carrying the kindle shouldn't be any problem. And, yeah, most people who prefer paper will prefer eInk over using a tablet or phone.

I was actually half tempted to order an oasis for myself and give her my voyage but I just got the premium leather cover for my voyage for christmas and from what I've read I think the oasis wouldn't be a drastic upgrade. Plus I love my voyage.

I love mine too. And, FWIW, while the oasis is definitely an upgrade, I don't think it's worth as much extra as it costs. That's just my opinion, of course. It's a great device and the buttons are a big plus . . . . . but I prefer the Voyage. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:49:22 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
If she's used to carrying a paper book, adjusting to carrying the kindle shouldn't be any problem. And, yeah, most people who prefer paper will prefer eInk over using a tablet or phone.

I love mine too. And, FWIW, while the oasis is definitely an upgrade, I don't think it's worth as much extra as it costs. That's just my opinion, of course. It's a great device and the buttons are a big plus . . . . . but I prefer the Voyage. :)

Good to know you prefer the voyage. I think the major points for the oasis for me is the weight of it and the physical buttons. But I've learned to like the haptic buttons on the voyage and love that the voyage is a more rectangular shape rather than more square.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
I have the Voyage and the Oasis and vastly prefer the Oasis.  Love my Oasis with a deep and slightly unnatural passion.  But I agree that the cost difference is probably more than the intrinsic value of the improvements.  I'm not sure I would have paid cash for a new Oasis, but I was fortunate to have enough gift card credit to be able to get it and am SOOOOOO happy I did.  *strokes the Oasis*. Tried to buy Ann's at one point but she didn't want me to have two of them. :P

Betsy

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
I have the Voyage and the Oasis and vastly prefer the Oasis.  Love my Oasis with a deep and slightly unnatural passion.  But I agree that the cost difference is probably more than the intrinsic value of the improvements.  I'm not sure I would have paid cash for a new Oasis, but I was fortunate to have enough gift card credit to be able to get it and am SOOOOOO happy I did.  *strokes the Oasis*. Tried to buy Ann's at one point but she didn't want me to have two of them. [emoji14]

Betsy
Well it seems the Oasis is a personal preference. I may one day give one a try. I was originally going to get the Oasis instead of the voyage but it was over the summer when they had a month waiting period and I didn't want to wait as I wanted it for my vacation. So I decided to get the voyage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »
If you're ever in Alexandria, VA, you're welcome to play with mine.

Betsy

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
If you're ever in Alexandria, VA, you're welcome to play with mine.

Betsy
Well thank you. I wish I could find one at a best buy to play with

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »
I have the Voyage and the Oasis and vastly prefer the Oasis.  Love my Oasis with a deep and slightly unnatural passion.  But I agree that the cost difference is probably more than the intrinsic value of the improvements.  I'm not sure I would have paid cash for a new Oasis, but I was fortunate to have enough gift card credit to be able to get it and am SOOOOOO happy I did.  *strokes the Oasis*. Tried to buy Ann's at one point but she didn't want me to have two of them. :P

Betsy

Well, you know, as a moderator, I should have access to both devices in order to be able to assist people.

And . . . it's not that I don't LIKE the Oasis, just that I prefer the Voyage. The perfect kindle would be a Voyage with slightly raised bumps on the side bezels so one knows exactly where the haptic buttons are and can more easily tell when one has pressed it, and a dedicated 'home' button in the bottom bezel.

Well thank you. I wish I could find one at a best buy to play with

Yeah, they aren't easy to find outside of ordering on line. I guess they're selling well!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 09:57:07 AM »
The perfect kindle would be a Voyage with slightly raised bumps on the side bezels so one knows exactly where the haptic buttons are and can more easily tell when one has pressed it, and a dedicated 'home' button in the bottom bezel.

My Nook Glowlight Plus has a capacative Home button in the center of the bottom bezel.  It's not raised.  It's just a portion of the bezel that, if touched, takes you back to the home screen.  This always happens just as you enter into the most hair raising portion of the book, or just when you're about to find out what you've been dying to know for chapters and chapters.

As for raised buttons on the Voyage I wonder if putting a piece of tape over the button might make it easier to find in the dark.  It might interfere with it's function but you won't know till you try it.  The type of tape used might make a difference, too.

Barry

Offline mlm525

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
I love my Voyage but had problems finding the page back buttons in the dark, I had no problems with the next page buttons because my fingers find them easily by memory.  I did add a very small piece of first aid tape over the page back buttons and this works perfectly - problem solved!  This in no way interferes with the function of the buttons and it is easy to feel.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
I love my Voyage but had problems finding the page back buttons in the dark, I had no problems with the next page buttons because my fingers find them easily by memory.  I did add a very small piece of first aid tape over the page back buttons and this works perfectly - problem solved!  This in no way interferes with the function of the buttons and it is easy to feel.

I often thought of something like this with the Voyage.  But stopped thinking about it once I got the Voyage.

Betsy