Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Alexa is conquering the world, which creates a possible problem  (Read 488 times)  

Online The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/alexa-conquering-world-now-amazons-real-challenge-begins/

All sorts of devices are integrating Alexa into them.  But how do things work when a roomful of devices hear you start a command with "Alexa"? I can understand why Amazon wants to require command start with that word. PReserve Brand  integrity! But it could be confusing. And learning a list of commands separately for each of a room full of devices is a bad thing also.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Re: Alexa is conquering the world, which creates a possible problem
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
We have two different dots under two different accounts. One is mine and the other belongs to my grandson. He has to be careful when talking to his that his door's closed. I tried to get him to change his Alexa to echo , but he wouldn't do it . Of course I'm not changing mine because I'm used to the original name for the one I have at my mother's.

Right now, I have no plans to get any of the other add-ons. I'm happy with her the way she is.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Online The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
 I bought a second echo for the bedroom before the smaller and cheaper versions came out. Are used to have trouble with the second echo interpreting or misinterpreting my command even though it's on the other end of a two bedroom apartment. Doesn't happen as much. I think they have set up comparisons between multiple echoes on the same network to make sure that only the closer one respond.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:08:44 AM »
I'm in an average size one bedroom condo.  I have two Echos -- one in living room, Echo, and one in bedroom, Alexa.  I've never had a problem.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac