Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 4534 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« on: January 19, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
I did do a search, but it might be my search fu is broken as I can't find a specific thread for HM.

Besides historical romance, historical mysteries are my other love. I got hooked on a few, but I always look for more.

My favorite must be CS Harris St. Cyr series. I know I am not alone in that and its probably a tough one to ask for more series in that quality.
I do also really love Ashley Gardners Captain Lacey series. On both of them I now have to pace myself as I only have 3 books left before I am caught up. Then what.  :o

I started the Victoria Thompson series, although its set a bit later than I like in time period. I think the reason I love the CS Harris series so much is because the investigating is done around regency time and there are no modern things like electricity and all that. Its the same for me when I read HR. I just don't want to be to modern. But I did like the first Thompson, Murder in Astor Place. Not as much as the others, but its early yet.

I already started the Amelia Peabody one and its a bit tougher for me to get into the characters to be honest. Although I do love the setting in Egypt.

Course I love the Lady Grey series by Deanna Raybourn.

Another I am also totally loving and awaiting the next in series is Anna Lee Hubers series. Wonderful.

Also exited about Sherry Thomas new series with A Study in Sherlock women is the first. Will be a loooooooooooooooong time for the next though. It was really really good though.

For standalone I read a couple of Simone St. James that I liked, they are on the gothic side, also set a bit more modern.

I read a Tracy Grant, but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should. Same with the Anne Perry Thomas Pitt where I read the first one.

And now I am panicking that I am running out of the good historical mysteries. Series especially, although I am not opposed to standalones of course if they are good.

Can we clone CS Harris?  ;D Every single one of those books has been a 5 star read for me. I am going to pout the day I am caught up with that series.

Allright, lets have it. What HM did you like, or wanted to like, or are wanting to read, have heard of.

I feel like needing a thread also for mysteries that are not cozy. Or maybe not as I always get confused at what cozy is or isn't.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
I did do a search, but it might be my search fu is broken as I can't find a specific thread for HM.

Besides historical romance, historical mysteries are my other love. I got hooked on a few, but I always look for more.

My favorite must be CS Harris St. Cyr series. I know I am not alone in that and its probably a tough one to ask for more series in that quality.
I do also really love Ashley Gardners Captain Lacey series. On both of them I now have to pace myself as I only have 3 books left before I am caught up. Then what.  :o

I started the Victoria Thompson series, although its set a bit later than I like in time period. I think the reason I love the CS Harris series so much is because the investigating is done around regency time and there are no modern things like electricity and all that. Its the same for me when I read HR. I just don't want to be to modern. But I did like the first Thompson, Murder in Astor Place. Not as much as the others, but its early yet.

I already started the Amelia Peabody one and its a bit tougher for me to get into the characters to be honest. Although I do love the setting in Egypt.

Course I love the Lady Grey series by Deanna Raybourn.

Another I am also totally loving and awaiting the next in series is Anna Lee Hubers series. Wonderful.

Also exited about Sherry Thomas new series with A Study in Sherlock women is the first. Will be a loooooooooooooooong time for the next though. It was really really good though.

For standalone I read a couple of Simone St. James that I liked, they are on the gothic side, also set a bit more modern.

I read a Tracy Grant, but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should. Same with the Anne Perry Thomas Pitt where I read the first one.

And now I am panicking that I am running out of the good historical mysteries. Series especially, although I am not opposed to standalones of course if they are good.

Can we clone CS Harris?  ;D Every single one of those books has been a 5 star read for me. I am going to pout the day I am caught up with that series.

Allright, lets have it. What HM did you like, or wanted to like, or are wanting to read, have heard of.

I feel like needing a thread also for mysteries that are not cozy. Or maybe not as I always get confused at what cozy is or isn't.

Amelia Peabody is cozy (Elizabeth Peters) although not your standard cozy.  I guess it would be historical, adventure cozy as opposed to a lot of the cozy stuff out there that is "career" cozy--focused on tea shops, hobbies and so on.  I don't read a lot of the hobby cozies myself, but I love Amelia Peabody. 

It's not in the right time period, but you might like No Game for a Dame (pulp fiction historical)  M. Ruth Myers.  It's perma free so you can't go wrong even if you don't like it.  I don't care much for the cover and I think the first two were better than the third, but it might be a new genre for you to try. 

Look into Rhys Bowen her royal spyness mysteries.  They were a little cozier than I like (I'm not a big historical reader) but you might like them!

Offline Sara Rosett

• Mystery and intrigue with humor on the side...
    • View Profile
    • SaraRosett.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »
I enjoy the Royal Spyness mysteries too. I've been reading a lot of Golden Age mysteries lately--Agatha Christie, Patricia Wentworth, and Dorothy L. Sayers.

Have you tried Stephanie Barron's series about Jane Austen? I'm not a big fan of historical figures as sleuths but Barron's series does work for me. I recently read Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas and enjoyed it.

The Darkness Knows by Cheryl Honigford is another historical mystery you might want to check out, but it is 1930s Chicago, so maybe not your favorite time period, Atunah. :)

Writing mysteries and teaching How to Outline a Cozy Mystery online course
Sara Rosett | Webpage | Twitter | Pinterest | All Things Bookish | Facebook |

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:57:58 PM »
I know we both also like the Tasha Alexander Lady Emily historical mysteries, Atunah.  Are you all caught up on those through the library?

I keep seeing this author in the also-boughts of the books that have already been mentioned, but haven't tried her yet.  Anyone read this author?

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
Tasha Alexander slipped my mind. I need to continue that one also. See, this is why this year I want to read series books closer together. Not so much binge-ing, but more like reading a few in a row, 2-4 and then not wait 2 years or more for the next. Or I can't remember anything.

Thanks for all the recs guys. Yeah, 1930's is like my least favorite time period. Or 20's. In all genres really. 30's is too close to WWII which I will not read stuff set in that time. But I'll keep an open mind on it. One never knows.

I never heard of that book you listed. Looks like there are 4 books so far.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:40:04 PM »
IMO there isn't anything to compare to the Harris series, Atunah, and I follow several other historical mystery series and do like them, but....

I enjoyed both the Captain Lacey and Victoria Thompson series through quite a few books, but they lost their appeal for me for reasons I mentioned in another thread. At a guess people who love Regency won't have my problem with them.

Also in another thread I mentioned Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett mysteries. I think out of what I've read to date I might put them #2 behind Harris. It's a limited series, six out so far and supposedly one more to come, Regency England as I remember.

It's been quite a while since I read Kate Ross's Julian Kestral mysteries, but I liked them a lot. There are only four, and it's my understanding the author died so there won't be more, also Regency period as I remember. Three set in England and the fourth in Italy.

P.B. Ryan wrote the Nell Sweeney series. This is another limited one, six on my Kindle. Set in Boston 1869, so pre-electricity.  :)

When I say limited series, I mean that there's a romance in addition to the mysteries, and when the couple gets their romance straightened out, the series ends.

Offline Sara Rosett

• View Profile
    • SaraRosett.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
Another historical mystery that keeps showing up in my also-boughts is:

The description says it is set in 1908. I haven't read it yet.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:18 AM »
Another historical mystery that keeps showing up in my also-boughts is:

The description says it is set in 1908. I haven't read it yet.

This one is available as Prime Reading as well.  It sounds a little more "cozy" than some of the others, but I picked it up the other day.  Not sure when I'll get to it...

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 05:50:10 AM »
I am following this thread with interest, though haven't any additional recommendations to those already mentioned. I discovered I picked up the first of the CS Harris series a while back -- I think I'll move it up on my TBR. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
Miss Fisher mysteries by Kerry Greenwood are delightful, and well researched. The series takes place in the 1920s in Australia and it is a madcap adventurous fun - but not without more serious factors. I also liked the TV series. Warning - there is a plenty of sex, although not of an explicit kind (well, mostly).

From the same time period but situated in England, there is Daisy Dalrymple investigating all sorts of crime in old English houses (including the Tower of London). I love the characters and the setting, although the investigation part tends to be a bit slow. Definitely a cozy kind of books.

I am just reading Anne Perry's Monk series but it is too early to decide whether I'd like them or not.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
Since we've moved our historical time periods into eras with electricity now and then  ;), Charles Todd (who I understand is actually a husband/wife writing team) has two WWI series. Bess Crawford is a battlefield nurse. Ian Rutledge is a Scotland Yard inspector who fought in the war, was hospitalized with battle fatigue, and is trying to function while hiding this shameful secret (in those days the general consensus was that those who suffered battle fatigue were cowards). I started with the Inspector Rutledge stories, thinking I'd like them better, but when I moved on to the Bess Crawford ones, preferred those, although I like them both. Neither has a romantic thread, although I saw what may be signs of one coming in the last Inspector Rutledge book.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »
Yeah, there seems to be a severe lack of before 1900's type historical mysteries. I see the same when I browse or try to find recommendations. Its why I am pacing the series I am reading now as once I am caught up, I am going to be lost.  :-X

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 08:56:31 AM »
As I was carousing more HM, I came across Lucinda Brant. I own the first 2 in the Alec Halsey series and I didn't own the 3rd yet, which sells at 5.99. Then I saw that she just put out a box set of all 3 for 99 cents. So I snapped that up for the 3rd.

This author gets great reviews among my goodreads reading buddies and she also writes historical romances set in georgian time. One of my favorite time periods.  ;D. These HM are also set in that time, 1760's.

I am now looking to see if its just going to be 3, or if more are being worked on.

Offline gerasimovg

• Sacramento, California
  • Interfecit Sicut Lepores
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »
I don't know about historical mystery, to be specific, but I came across a historical fiction work by Dan Simmons some time ago, called The Terror. The whole premise is about the real, lost two ships of the 1800s that sought passage through the arctic and were never heard from again. Now, there's not much mystery to this, but there is definitely an element of horror and suspense. Summed up, the book is about these two ships, trapped in ice North of Canada, while some monstrous thing roams the ice outside, ready to attack any Sailors who dare leave the ships.

Now, this isn't what I'd consider to be traditional 'mystery' novel, but if you're looking for some historical based fiction that deals with facts of history which we don't know (Lost ships, what happened to them, etc.), then you might enjoy this one. There's no detective work or Sherlock type thought, but simply pure survival in a hostile environment.
I only bring it up in this thread because I enjoyed it for many of the same reasons that I enjoy mystery fiction. Typically, I like mystery novels because I find myself trying to outdo the protagonist and trying to figure out the answer before they do, but another factor that I enjoy in this genre is the idea of not knowing. In other words, this is my perfect mix of thriller meets mystery.
When faced with a situation that I don't understand and have to deal with it or die, I get much the same enjoyment that I do from deciphering a criminal case file. You get the best of both worlds: trying to solve the puzzle and knowing that your life depends on it at the same time.

I don't think you'd be disappointment if you checked this one out.

Gleb Gerasimov

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. Basically they're historical detective novels set in Nazi Germany.

I'd also recommend the Charlie Berlin books by Geoffrey McGeachin. All are set in post war Melbourne and have a delightfully noir flavour. Sort of like an Australian Raymond Chandler.

James Lawson

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:44 PM »

Signing up to follow this thread... picked up the Lucinda Brant set.   8)

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:42 PM »
Although John Dickson Carr is noted for his locked-room mysteries, he wrote a dozen or so historical novels, some of which were mysteries. They received very good reviews. You might try one of those and see if you like his style.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:53:35 AM by jmiked »
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline lmckinley

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
Have you read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier? I mean, you probably have, but I hadn't read it until last year. Probably the best book I've read in the last few years. I found another book by her at the library - Jamaica Inn. It wasn't quite as remarkable as Rebecca, but it was still a very good mystery. The writing is a little old fashioned of course, but not dry, IMO.

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 07:08:12 AM »
The boxed set of all three of Lucinda Brant's 'Alec Halsey' mysteries is on sale right now for 99 cents. Sorry, not sure how to create a link from my iPad (am traveling right now).

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
The boxed set of all three of Lucinda Brant's 'Alec Halsey' mysteries is on sale right now for 99 cents. Sorry, not sure how to create a link from my iPad (am traveling right now).

That's a good deal! Adding the link, so kboards can get credit for possible purchases.

* Just noticed that Atunah posted this sale on 1/21. I had missed that, good to see that it's still on sale!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:05:13 AM by cagnes »

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 07:46:47 AM »
I've been watching for this first book in the new Deanna Rayborn series with protagonist Veronica Speedwell to go on sale.  Today it is $2.99 - Victorian England.  I grabbed it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »
I've been watching for this first book in the new Deanna Rayborn series with protagonist Veronica Speedwell to go on sale.  Today it is $2.99 - Victorian England.  I grabbed it.

Good catch! I enjoyed it . . . . . looking forward to the second . . . which, it appears, is also on sale for $5.99 just now.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:51 AM »
Good catch! I enjoyed it . . . . . looking forward to the second . . . which, it appears, is also on sale for $5.99 just now.

Oh dear, I missed the second being on sale as well.  I have remedied that oversight.  Thanks, Ann!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
I am reading "A perilous Undertaking" right now. Not very far in yet, I did like the first. Both characters are a bit eccentric.

Has anyone ever read a series by Joan Smith, the Berkeley Brigade? Don't think I have come across it before. This is the first which is 99 cents

The early ones were first published I think in the mid 90's and they are all now out with Belgrave House, hence the horrible covers. All their regency stuff has these bad covers. These are mysteries though. The first couple don't get super great reviews, but later ones do and there are 12 books out now.
I suppose I can just try the first, but wondering if anyone has read those.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
I am reading "A perilous Undertaking" right now. Not very far in yet, I did like the first. Both characters are a bit eccentric.

Has anyone ever read a series by Joan Smith, the Berkeley Brigade? Don't think I have come across it before. This is the first which is 99 cents

The early ones were first published I think in the mid 90's and they are all now out with Belgrave House, hence the horrible covers. All their regency stuff has these bad covers. These are mysteries though. The first couple don't get super great reviews, but later ones do and there are 12 books out now.
I suppose I can just try the first, but wondering if anyone has read those.

New to me. For 99 cents, though, it might be worth a try . . . . . reviews are a bit mixed though mostly positive.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »

New to me. For 99 cents, though, it might be worth a try . . . . . reviews are a bit mixed though mostly positive.
That is what I am thinking. That is a very prolific author and after checking, I found I read one of her traditional regencies and I loved it. And that one was from 1977, so she's been writing for a long time.
I am just itching to find more HM series with lots of books out already. Cause once I get started on them and I like them, I read them pretty fast.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
I checked out the Ashley Gardner Regency Mysteries after they were recommended in Atunah's original post.  I'm not sure whether the first is permanently free or just currently free, but I picked it up today.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
I enjoyed the Stephen Attebrook mystery series by Jason Vail. It's set in 13th century England.

Don't be put off by the rather (imo) poor covers. They're better than they look, but wouldn't appeal to people who like cozies, I suspect. :)

ETA: I'd love to find some new series as well, but I very much prefer medieval. Haven't found any Regency ones I enjoyed. Another pretty good medieval HM is The Bookseller's Tale by Ann Swinfen. I'd recommend The Servant of the Crown series by Denise Domning too. It's a short series, but an enjoyable read.

I don't see that they've been mentioned but I kind of assume that any Historical Mystery fan has read Ellis Peters' iconic Cadfael novels. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:05:11 AM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »
A unique series of "Jewish Regency Mysteries" by Libi Astaire is one I accidentally found when browsing Regency Romance.  I think they got stuck in there just because of Regency in the titles.  There is some romance in them, but the mysteries are the thrust of the stories.  I read them a few years back when they were new and rated 3 of the 4 at 4-stars (rated #3 at 3 stars because I thought the mystery was too obvious).

Anyway, the first of the series is free.

eta:  Either the series order has changed or the author has split the original series into 2 different series with crossover characters.  The book above was originally Book 3 (the one I said had the obvious mystery solution) and this is the Book 1 I rated 4-stars.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:33:52 AM by crebel »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
A unique series of "Jewish Regency Mysteries" by Libi Astaire is one I accidentally found when browsing Regency Romance.  I think they got stuck in there just because of Regency in the titles.  There is some romance in them, but the mysteries are the thrust of the stories.  I read them a few years back when they were new and rated 3 of the 4 at 4-stars (rated #3 at 3 stars because I thought the mystery was too obvious).

Anyway, the first of the series is free.

eta:  Either the series order has changed or the author has split the original series into 2 different series with crossover characters.  The book above was originally Book 3 (the one I said had the obvious mystery solution) and this is the Book 1 I rated 4-stars.

Thanks!

FictFact lists it as Ezra Melamed series and puts Disappearing Dowry first . . . . and shows it and The Ruby Spy Ring as being published before Tempest as well. . . . hmmm. . . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Thanks!

FictFact lists it as Ezra Melamed series and puts Disappearing Dowry first . . . . and shows it and The Ruby Spy Ring as being published before Tempest as well. . . . hmmm. . . . . .

Yes, the FictFact listing agrees with the order I first read them all (and would be chronological for the intertwined characters).  I have no clue why the 2 books are listed separately as "Ezra Melamed" when he is in every book and the "detective" in all.  Here is the FictFact order:

1.  The Disappearing Dowry
2.  The Ruby Spy Ring
3.  Tempest in the Tea Room
3.5 The Doppleganger's Dance
4.  Too Many Coins
4.5 General Well'ngone in Love

I'm not sure where the 3 different books listed on the series/author page at Amazon - The Moon Taker, The Vanisher Variations, and What's in a Flame - fit in the overall timeline.  Didn't mean to frustrate anybody (I am now) by recommending a series from a few years ago I thought was interesting at the time.  :(

More editing (I know, I should research first).  I went to her website libiastaire.weebly.com and poked around a bit.  There she lists the first 2 books of the FictFact list (Disappearing Dowry and Ruby Spy Ring) as the "prequel" novels followed by the Jewish Regency Series novels.  Then there are few short stories thrown in that are listed at Amazon but not part of the series page. Clear as mud now? ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:50:52 PM by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
OMG I am laughing so hard I am glad I am home alone at the moment. I am reading "A Perilous Undertaking" right now, the second in the Veronica Speedwell series and page 125, or 38% in.  ;D. I don't want to give it away, but Stoker's reaction there is just hilarious.

I love it when books make me laugh.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
OMG I am laughing so hard I am glad I am home alone at the moment. I am reading "A Perilous Undertaking" right now, the second in the Veronica Speedwell series and page 125, or 38% in.  ;D. I don't want to give it away, but Stoker's reaction there is just hilarious.

I love it when books make me laugh.

I definitely have to move it up the TBR . . . except I also have a library book I've got to get to! :o :o So many books ---- so little time! ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
I definitely have to move it up the TBR . . . except I also have a library book I've got to get to! :o :o So many books ---- so little time! ;D
No kidding. I have to make lists for the library books so I read them in order of when they expire, since my libraries have different checkout times. And I already have a few lined up like little soldiers that just came out or are about to com out next week. I just know, no matter what my slot is, they will all come up at once.

This book I am reading now I am keeping wifi off as its going to expire sometimes within 1 day. Could be 4 hours, could be 6. I don't know. I am probably going to finish it before, but I won't be happy if it goes poof like just before the climax of the crime solving.  :P

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
I finished " A perilous Undertaking" and I loved it.

now I am reading

Its the 4th in the Gaslight Mysteries. I really like this series, although its set a wee bit later than what I usually like reading.
I am trying to catch up with my library reads and I am trying to read series books a bit closer together this year than I did in the past. So I don't have a huge time between the books and can't remember anything.
So far so good, just started this one though. Only on 2nd chapter. Can't remember who recommended those, but I am glad I started them, even if I was worried because the main character is a midwife. That just didn't sound like anything I wanted to read about. But its much more than that. Thankfully.  8)
I think it might have been Ellen that mentioned them.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Since I have been talking about the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, the first in the series is on sale for $1.99.

These things are all $7.99. The last time the first one was on sale for 1.99 was back in October of 2015. So not very often.

There is a chrome plugin by the way from ereaderIQ where you can see the price history of any kindle book in the store. See what it cost at any point with a graph.

That cover is so dark I can't even see what is on it. So weird. Its not so dark on goodreads. Or the other books aren't this dark.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:37:55 AM by Atunah »

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
Since I have been talking about the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, the first in the series is on sale for $1.99.

These things are all $7.99. The last time the first one was on sale for 1.99 was back in October of 2015. So not very often.

There is a chrome plugin by the way from ereaderIQ where you can see the price history of any kindle book in the store. See what it cost at any point with a graph.

That cover is so dark I can't even see what is on it. So weird. Its not so dark on goodreads. Or the other books aren't this dark.

I blogged that sale a couple of days ago and yeah--that cover is weird.   You can't make out what it is (although I think it's supposed to be a streetlight).  Kinda dark and muddy.  Well, that points to a mystery for sure!   ;)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
here is what goodreads has listed as the paperback. The font is different too and placement, but I think the image is the same. I assume  ;D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Wow. That is way different.  The one on Amazon is a blotch of street light with a red thing in there and that's about all you can see!

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
I have the Victoria Thompson book from early on, certainly some years ago, so I went and looked to see what the cover was on the ebook then. There isn't one. If you use Go To Cover, you get to a title page, no cover.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »
I, too, bought the Thompson ages ago -- back in 2009 . . . . I just re-sent it to my kindle to see what I can see (I read it a while back, too).

The thumbnail in b&w doesn't show much, but appears to be the cover shown in Atunah's post. When I 'go to cover' it's as ellenoc says -- basically a title page; no image.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 06:14:22 AM »
Maybe they lost the rights to the original cover or the ebook was scanned in to make the electronic copy (in which case they wouldn't have had the rights to the cover, most likely).  Who knows.  It's weird that it shows up so dark in some placed.  Well, all the counts is chocolate chip cookies and what is inside the cover anyway!

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 11:29:12 PM »
Since we've moved our historical time periods into eras with electricity now and then  ;), Charles Todd (who I understand is actually a husband/wife writing team) has two WWI series. Bess Crawford is a battlefield nurse. Ian Rutledge is a Scotland Yard inspector who fought in the war, was hospitalized with battle fatigue, and is trying to function while hiding this shameful secret (in those days the general consensus was that those who suffered battle fatigue were cowards). I started with the Inspector Rutledge stories, thinking I'd like them better, but when I moved on to the Bess Crawford ones, preferred those, although I like them both. Neither has a romantic thread, although I saw what may be signs of one coming in the last Inspector Rutledge book.
I just found the Ian Rutledge series and really enjoy the rather dark feel of the series. It's not quite Noir but definitely more in that direction than the usual British manor house mystery. I've only read the first one but the series has actually tempted me temporarily out of medieval mysteries.  I finished the first one A Test of Wills and just downloaded A Fine Summer's Day. :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:31:01 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 06:38:23 AM »
I read very few historical mysteries written by contemporary authors*, but I do like the ones by Bill Pronzini and Marcia Muller:

From the Amazon page:

In The Bughouse Affair, this first of a new series of lighthearted historical mysteries set in 1890s San Francisco, former Pinkerton operative Sabina Carpenter and her detective partner, ex-Secret Service agent John Quincannon, undertake what initially appear to be two unrelated investigations.

This series is written by a husband and wife team who each have their own very successful mystery series that have been appearing for decades. Pre-Kindle, I used to buy each of their new works in hardcover the day they were available.

The Carpenter/Quicannon series are a bit pricey though, at $9.99 each. But I think they are worth it. I think there are currently five in the series.

Mike

* I do, however read many mysteries that were originally published back in the 1890s and after.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
I just found the Ian Rutledge series and really enjoy the rather dark feel of the series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It would be hard to set anything during WWI or its aftermath and have it be light. So far the Bess Crawford ones are all set while the war is going on, as opposed to the Rutledge ones after the war. She returns home pretty regularly, though, so big parts of the stories take place in England. I've been a lot less familiar with that whole era than say, WWII, and my curiosity's been piqued enough to do some research just because.

Offline Sara Rosett

• View Profile
    • SaraRosett.com
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
I've found a few new historical mysteries:
(WWII England)

(Late Victorian London)

(Edwardian England)

I just started In Farleigh Field and I'm enjoying it. Haven't started Limelight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:50:19 PM by Sara Rosett »

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
I just finished Death Comes to the Village, a nice and peaceful Regency mystery. Catherine Lloyd did a good job with her research although she seems to be more interested in her characters than the mystery itself. I enjoyed reading this one and will probably pick up the next book in the series.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:43 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It would be hard to set anything during WWI or its aftermath and have it be light. So far the Bess Crawford ones are all set while the war is going on, as opposed to the Rutledge ones after the war. She returns home pretty regularly, though, so big parts of the stories take place in England. I've been a lot less familiar with that whole era than say, WWII, and my curiosity's been piqued enough to do some research just because.
WWI and the early twenties in Britain were definitely not a light period. The death toll was amazing. In some villages, particularly in Scotland, all men of service age were killed. It really did devastate the country.

The series isn't wearing very well for me though. It's a fine line authors have to walk. Readers want the novels similar but not too similar. I'm finding them a bit too similar to be tempted to keep on with the series after the first four. But I have to say the writing is very solid, and I enjoyed them for a while.  I'll have to check out the Bess Crawford ones.

ETA: By the way I also tried River of Darkness: The First John Madden Mystery by Rennie Airth and it totally wasn't my cup of tea. It's also set just after WWI. However, someone who likes a lot of romance in their mysteries might like it. There was too much of that for me, but I also just wasn't drawn into the characters at all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:53:25 AM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
I am about to read

Its the first in a series. It came up at my library and I can't remember now why I put it on hold in the first place. Maybe something in this thread? There are so far 5 books. It is a bit more newer, or not very recent history for my personal taste, but I'll give it a go. I am still looking for stuff "older". Lots of stuff at turn of century and later.

I am now caught up sadly with the Captain Lacey mysteries and the next one is out tomorrow, I preordered it already. Then I still savoring the CS Harris series, but not sure what to read after that. I think Lucinda Brant has a older one time period way, but I need something long. Long series.  ;D

I declare a severe lack of historical mystery series set before 1890's, preferable before 1850's,  that have bunch of books in them.  8)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
I'm not sure if you'd be interested in this because it's YA, but there's a historical mystery series called The Agency by Y.S. Lee. It's set in 1850 London and the MC is a 17 YO orphan who was sent to an institution that educates young women when she was 12. She's now a teacher there, but is recruited into their sideline business, a covert spy organization. I don't think there's any real romance, but it could be a fun read. There are 4 books in the series.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
The series isn't wearing very well for me though. It's a fine line authors have to walk. Readers want the novels similar but not too similar. I'm finding them a bit too similar to be tempted to keep on with the series after the first four. But I have to say the writing is very solid, and I enjoyed them for a while.  I'll have to check out the Bess Crawford ones.

As I said, I ended up liking the Bess Crawford stories better than the Ian Rutledge ones. I understand about a series wearing thin after a certain number of books. I've stopped with both the Captain Lacey mysteries and Victoria Thompson's series. Part of it for me is this compulsion with writers to take an interesting (for me, all this is my opinion, of course) character and turn them into someone less so. For instance, Captain Lacey is originally an injured war vet struggling on a small income. Victoria Thompson's heroine is a midwife, also struggling. Both of them marry money and life thereafter is all roses except for their solving mysteries.

One problem with finding a series with quite a few books available and reading them one after another is any weaknesses show right up, whether it's small things like the author's tendency to use a particular phrase in every book or something larger like same story premises.

A series I mentioned before has a new book out - Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett series. It's labeled as #6 in the series, but I have 8 in the collection on my Kindle. The earlier ones weren't numbered, and I had to look up the order when I started with them since like Atunah I'm compulsive about reading series in order. Evident South was going to end the series with his marriage but decided to write one more showing how things were going (#6). The note at the end of this one makes it appear she's decided she has enough fans like me to continue the series even more. As I said before, this is currently my second favorite historical mystery series behind only C.S. Harris's, so I'm delighted. It's too romancey for you, J.R., but I think Atunah would like it.

Pickett has also married money, but he didn't realize it, naively expected his wife, widow of a viscount, was going to live on his earnings as a Bow Street runner, and in Book 6 isn't happy about the discovery. So far it's all entertaining.

A book I wasn't going to mention here but now will in case anyone likes very dark is Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwell. The premise is a man who needs the money is hired to rubber stamp the guilt of a man about to hang. He was a poor choice of investigator as he has too much conscience for rubber stamping and actually investigates. It gives a realistic and ugly look into Britain's justice system, prisons, and execution methods in the good old days - I think early Nineteenth Century, but it's been a while since I read it, about then anyway. Also, I think it's a standalone not first of a series. Not for the faint of heart.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »

A series I mentioned before has a new book out - Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett series. It's labeled as #6 in the series, but I have 8 in the collection on my Kindle. The earlier ones weren't numbered, and I had to look up the order when I started with them since like Atunah I'm compulsive about reading series in order. Evident South was going to end the series with his marriage but decided to write one more showing how things were going (#6). The note at the end of this one makes it appear she's decided she has enough fans like me to continue the series even more. As I said before, this is currently my second favorite historical mystery series behind only C.S. Harris's, so I'm delighted. It's too romancey for you, J.R., but I think Atunah would like it.

I have the first in the Cobb series. Or at least I think its the first. I only find 6 books in the series, what are the other 2? I only see 2 shorts that are listed in between the 6 full books. I ignore shorts and novellas inbetweeners as I call them. But are there books before "In Milady's Chamber?" I been looking and I am not seeing any. Just want to make sure I start at the beginning. Reading order OCD is a real thing.  8) I own Milady's Chamber already so I can move it up on my list if its the first one.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
I prefer long to short too, Atunah, but when I'm keen on an author, I'll read something short by them, and in that way I've discovered a couple of novellas that changed my mind about that form.

Anyway, the 8 I have are:

Pickpocket's Apprentice (This is a 128-page "prequel," so you'd do without, and it wasn't written first even though chronologically it is first.)
In Milady's Chamber #1
A Dead Bore #2
Family Plot #3
Dinner Most Deadly #4
Waiting Game (This is a 126-page novella, so you'd skip it too.)
Too Hot to Handel #5
For Deader or Worse #6

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
Thanks Ellen. That helps a lot. Somehow goodreads didn't have the first novella in the series listing. I just can't do shorts, even if they are part of series. So even with favorite authors and series, I skip them.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
I had somehow missed that Bernard Cornwell in spite of being a big fan of his. I love very dark, so it should be right up my alley. Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. :)

Saor Alba

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
So I finished

Really enjoyed it, even if its a time period later than I like. Women suffrage. Its set in London and there are some darker scenes in it, but not like brutally dark, at least not to me. I'll continue the series. the main character is a doctor that gets to work with what I guess would have been a coroner. I can't remember all the proper terms now. But she is obviously at a time where things are very volatile for women. The beginning, a march by women happened for real in 1910 according to the author notes and 3 women were killed during because of the rowdy crowds.

I also just finished
The 7th in that series.

I think for now I have given up on the Amelia Peabody series. I know many like it, but something about it. I read the first 2 and tried to read the 3rd, but that child of theirs. Ramses, I just can't with the way that kid talks. Its just not believable. And then other stuff annoyed me so i put it aside. Maybe one day again. I think Amelia and Emerson are just a bit much to take for me.

I know one thing for sure, I am totally back in historical times that I haven't picked up a contempo or paranormal in some time. Its either HR or HM for now for me. And I am reading more and don't have a reading slump anymore. Its were I belong apparently.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:37:12 PM by Atunah »

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
The latest in C.S. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series came out Tuesday, and of course I pounced and read it right through. I really enjoyed it and that's in spite of the fact it has some themes I avoid in other books. There were a couple of events IMO so clearly foreshadowed I saw them coming a mile away, and at least one thing toward the end that IMO the book could have done without. Not that it did any harm, but it was obviously going to happen and it just didn't add anything when it did.

Reviews will undoubtedly warn anyone who is squeamish about the kind of killings, so I'll say it here. The bad guys are perverted child killers, so if that would bother you, this is a book to skip. It's very dark. I'm a fan of Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon mysteries, and I skipped one that reviews warned me centered around Satanism-type stuff, so I know all about skipping books even by favorite authors.

Other than that, if you don't want more spoilers, stop reading here. The main theme in the Harris book that I won't read (and which I should have realized was there going in but for some reason didn't take in) is serial killers. I stopped reading anything with a serial killer years ago because 1) I got sick of the immortal serial killer. You know, the one who is destroyed by bullet, fire, drowning, etc., at the end of book after book but is back to plague the hero a book or two later, 2) at least in modern settings, the serial killer's POV is always in a few scenes, and I can do without being in the head of someone that sick and perverted, thank you. I sincerely doubt Harris is going to bring the one of her killers who is killed in this book back, but his partner is still alive, so I figure we'll see him again, especially since he just became entangled with Sebastian's family. However, there are no scenes in either killer's POV.

So for me not the best in the series - that would be the stories where Sebastian and Hero marry and where their son is born - but still better than most historical mysteries.

Offline tocs100

• Utah
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:13 PM »
Yes, Arthurian please.  ;)

S.W. Wilcox | amazon | facebook | goodreads

Offline benjclark

• Omaha, Nebraska
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin L. Clark
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »
Bookmarking. Personally, I love those early 20th Century stuff but do go further afield when the story is good.

Radha Vatsal's second Kitty Weeks mystery set in 1910s NYC is out this week and she stopped off at my blog to share about researching historical mysteries:
https://benjaminlclark.com/guest-post-from-radha-vastal-author-of-the-kitty-weeks-mysteries/

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
Atunah mentioned this series in her first post, but I don't see it linked anywhere.  Today it is on sale for $1.99 so I finally grabbed it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
Good find crebel, I totally loved that one, I gave it 5 stars. I am so looking forward to the next which says out in September 5th.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
Did you see this one offered on Kindle First this month?  It is described as being set "just beyond the gilded age" so it may not be your ideal time period but I thought I'd give it a try.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
So I am reading this one right now.

First in the Julian Kestrel series. Must have come from here as a rec, I can't remember now.
Although I enjoy the story so far, 38% in, it is written weird. As I am not a writer and know nothing about writing techniques and such, I don't know how to explain it. Its not written in first person, but when the characters think, its like they are thinking right now and say "I" and such. Think that is. I don't know if its tense switching, or what. All I know it reads weird and it keeps throwing me out of the story a bit. So I can't totally get close to it. If you know what I mean. I still enjoy it, I'll just call it weird.
Its harder to stay within the story and characters for me this way. The mystery itself is very good so far. Maybe I'll get used more to this style or writing. It has gotten a tad easier. Still weird.  :P

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
So I am reading this one right now.

First in the Julian Kestrel series. Must have come from here as a rec, I can't remember now.
Although I enjoy the story so far, 38% in, it is written weird. As I am not a writer and know nothing about writing techniques and such, I don't know how to explain it. Its not written in first person, but when the characters think, its like they are thinking right now and say "I" and such. Think that is. I don't know if its tense switching, or what. All I know it reads weird and it keeps throwing me out of the story a bit. So I can't totally get close to it. If you know what I mean. I still enjoy it, I'll just call it weird.
Its harder to stay within the story and characters for me this way. The mystery itself is very good so far. Maybe I'll get used more to this style or writing. It has gotten a tad easier. Still weird.  :P

The "recommender" may have been me. I read and enjoyed all these except the last one, which I finished, so it didn't turn me off completely, but it was weird in a different way than what you're describing, Atunah. I either never noticed what you're having trouble with or it's been too long to remember. It must not have bothered me. I see what I think you're describing in quite a few books and think if it's done, the thought should be in italics so it's clear what's going on. Anyway, it's too bad the author died and there won't be more.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
The "recommender" may have been me. I read and enjoyed all these except the last one, which I finished, so it didn't turn me off completely, but it was weird in a different way than what you're describing, Atunah. I either never noticed what you're having trouble with or it's been too long to remember. It must not have bothered me. I see what I think you're describing in quite a few books and think if it's done, the thought should be in italics so it's clear what's going on. Anyway, it's too bad the author died and there won't be more.
Oh shoot, dead author. So I'll be left hanging at some point? Darn. I do like it and I like the mystery and all. Its just hard for me to explain exactly what it is. At times I get confused at what is being said to each other and what part is just in the characters head. They often blend together and should at times be said to that character. There are whole conversations it seems happening in the brain.  :P

I remember one book once, while back a HR. There was so much inner thinking going on that there was almost no dialogue between characters. Thinking about thinking and it would go on for pages and pages, heck, whole chapters.  :o. It was strange.

It probably was you since I know you have put down lists of series and there is always a good chance I like something you recommend as we really like some of the same series.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
Oh shoot, dead author. So I'll be left hanging at some point?

I wouldn't say hanging, just if you like them, disappointed there aren't more. If I remember right, there are 4. I'd read 3 and skip the 4th. I still regret Dick Francis and Tony Hillerman regularly. They have offspring taking rides on their names, but IMO the offspring are inferior writers. For me a lot of series get disappointing after a while anyway. I no longer read Victoria Thompson or Captain Lacy. For me both those series lost their zing once the characters married and became wealthy.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »
I wouldn't say hanging, just if you like them, disappointed there aren't more. If I remember right, there are 4. I'd read 3 and skip the 4th. I still regret Dick Francis and Tony Hillerman regularly. They have offspring taking rides on their names, but IMO the offspring are inferior writers. For me a lot of series get disappointing after a while anyway. I no longer read Victoria Thompson or Captain Lacy. For me both those series lost their zing once the characters married and became wealthy.
I still read Captain Lacy, I still very much enjoy it. It did change, but I guess it had to. He is still ornery so there is that.  :P

And since there is little out there quite at the level of CS Harris, I'll continue those I enjoy. So far I still enjoy Thompson too, but I haven't gotten to them being married yet. But it was a obvious direction for them to go from the early books on. I like Captain Lacy a tad better overall than Thompson. part of if the characters and mysteries, part the time period. Since I love HM and its hard to find ongoing series, I'll take it. Cause what the heck do I do when I am caught up with all of them. Seems like nobody wants to write historical mysteries anymore. 

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2017, 09:10:51 PM »
I read Gallows Thief which... Ok, it is the first Bernard Cornwell novel I ever read that I really didn't like. Now, if you like cricket you'll enjoy it because Cornwell goes on, and on, and on about it.

I'm a bit hard to please. Although I can enjoy Victorian or WWI, I prefer medieval and definitely don't like cozies. Unfortunately I have a habit of reading novels about like gobbling popcorn which makes it hard to keep in something to read. Sadly I don't have a thing to recommend at the moment, but I think my tastes are a bit on the 'different' side. ;)

*grumbles* What I really want is a new medieval historical mystery and all my favorite authors are slacking off.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:20:14 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
Unfortunately I have a habit of reading novels about like gobbling popcorn which makes it hard to keep in something to read.

Me too. I'm retired, so there's lots of reading time. When I see people going on and on about how there are bazillions of books out there and they can always find lots to read I have to figure they aren't as picky as I am because finding enough to read is a constant problem. Yes, books exist in the bazillions. Books I want to read are more like unicorns.

What you said about cricket is funny because I remember nothing like that from the book. Which probably means I skipped or skimmed it all.

Atunah - I agree Harris is in a class by herself.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
Me too. I'm retired, so there's lots of reading time. When I see people going on and on about how there are bazillions of books out there and they can always find lots to read I have to figure they aren't as picky as I am because finding enough to read is a constant problem. Yes, books exist in the bazillions. Books I want to read are more like unicorns.

What you said about cricket is funny because I remember nothing like that from the book. Which probably means I skipped or skimmed it all.

Atunah - I agree Harris is in a class by herself.
If you skipped or skimmed the parts about cricket: good choice!

I hate it when characters suddenly become wealthy. That is so annoying. It usually completely changes the tone of the novels.

Saor Alba

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »
I hate it when characters suddenly become wealthy. That is so annoying. It usually completely changes the tone of the novels.

Exactly. And in Victoria Thompson's series, the hero, an Irish cop, out of the blue inherits megabucks. So believable. But even without that, I found the characters as they originally were far more interesting and sympathetic. She was from a wealthy family but estranged from them and making her way as a midwife.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
About the cricket, the main character had been making his living, such as it was, as a cricket player so it wasn't like the subject was unrelated.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:33:35 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »
About the cricket, the main character had been making his living, such as it was, as a cricket player so it wasn't like the subject was unrelated.

Ah, yes, that does ring a bell. But I would have skipped any detailed descriptions of the game itself since it doesn't interest me. The older I get, the better at skipping anything that doesn't interest me I get, For instance, large swaths of poetic descriptions float right by with only a twinge of guilt that some author slaved over writing it. What sticks with me is the grimness of the descriptions of the prison and prisoners and brutality of the hanging, the fact that investigating to see if the conviction was just only happened because the condemned's sister (mother?) knew someone important, and that the MC didn't do the rubber stamping expected. The book hooked me enough that I read the whole thing (minus the skip/skim, of course, but that true for everything I read), but it didn't make me seek out others by the author.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
It became rather peculiar that so many of the horrible, nasty, murderous people in the Capt Lacey novels were homosexual. I stopped reading.

Saor Alba