Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 346736 times)  

Offline readingril

• View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #5075 on: June 02, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
Oh I think  you edited with that book while I was posting and I didn't notice.

It looks interesting... but I'm not sure how interested I'd be in it? My nonfiction isn't usually historical.

I think I've set the bar pretty high with Kelly Bowen's books. All the previous ones were so good!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: June 04, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
One of Lorraine Heath's HRs is on sale today for $1.99.  I added it to my TBR pile.

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: June 04, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
One of Lorraine Heath's HRs is on sale today for $1.99.  I added it to my TBR pile.

I really enjoyed this book.  Seeing it makes me want to go back and read a few sections I bookmarked!

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: June 04, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »

Bought it back in January. Really enjoyed it.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:37 PM »
So glad to hear you both enjoyed it!  Hard to go wrong with Lorraine Heath, isn't it? :D

I think I added it to a wish list when it was released because I have so many books in my TBR pile already, I wasn't ready to pay full price.  For once being behind in my reading worked to my advantage by getting it at a bargain price now! 8)

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: June 04, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »
I haz read the Heath.  ;D

I liked it. Great price too. For once, I am read up on a series.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
I haz read the Heath.  ;D

I liked it. Great price too. For once, I am read up on a series.

So am I. And the next one comes out in August, which I pre-ordered in April.

Online Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: June 09, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »
Trying to put a small dent in my TBR pile, I've been reading the Lost Heirs trilogy by Candace Camp. Just finished the first two--really enjoyed them--and getting ready to read the last one. These are older books and pretty light reading but with feisty heroines, great repartee, and a dash of mystery/adventure. Four star reads for me. They are entertaining. I enjoyed knowing the characters and seeing them get their HEA. Sometimes the older books offer the best escapism.....

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: June 09, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
I loved those too. Had to check and I gave all three 4 stars.  ;D
Its been a while I read them though, 2009. So my first full year of having a kindle.

I too tend to enjoy the older ones more for their depth and adventure. Just something about them, no matter if they are lighter or more darker. They just have more something something than a lot of newer stuff. I find so many now too be so modern. Like they are written for a contrempo romance reader to ease them into the sub genre. Not sure how to put it. Its also the themes that they used to tackle in the older books are more interesting. The settings and all that. 

Offline bloshb

• Seattle, WA
  • twitter @bloshb & @RomMFA
    • View Profile
    • The Romance MFA
« Reply #5084 on: June 12, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
Have any of you read Kathleen Winsor's Forever Amber? It was the 50 Shades of Gray of WWII - a Naughty Book banned in Boston, Australia, and other places for its obscene content -- but seems to have disappeared from most readers' awareness by the late 1950s...

It follows a heroine sleeping her way to the top in Restoration era England. I'm not sure it's exactly Romance as we know it today, as I'm about a third of the way in and she's on her fifth sexual partner, but it has a ton of historical details if that's what you want in a book!
The Romance MFA Project - writing better historical romance by reading the best historical romance - www.romancemfa.com

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: June 19, 2018, 04:34:41 AM »
I read Hello Stranger (Lisa Kleypas) this week. I really enjoyed this book, I think partly because the royalty was more in the backstory instead of the forefront.  Looking forward to West's story - there was a very good set up for it in the book.

Now finally reading Laura Kinsale's The Prince of Midnight. I checked it out when it was in KU but it ain't in there any more. LOL

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: June 24, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »
So I read
I thought it was quite good. The theme was odd and interesting at the same time. Kind of a fame like we have in modern times, but transposed to the georgian period. Hero being the famous one after he comes home from long adventures and book writing about those. It seemed to fit the time period as far as folks acting. There is a baby skunk in the story and its adorable.  ;D. I wanted a tad more time period. But then I am greedy as I get so little georgian time. There were two peacocks. One of the human variety and the hero's brother.  ;D
Some of the setup with the brother and a friend of theirs is obviously coming in future books and I am looking forward to it.

I did like the hero being zoned in on the heroine pretty fast and not being an ass. He just had to convince her.

I finally got around to reading this last week and enjoyed it. Plenty of powdered wigs, whitened faces, patches, high-heeled shoes and lots of lace for the guys!  I thought it was a little weak on plot, but entertaining nonetheless.  The smart little skunk was absolutely adorable. I immediately started Book 2:

which I thought had a deeper story (and more peacocks  ;D ).  I liked it even more than Book 1!  Book 3 is due out July 31:

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: June 24, 2018, 03:54:05 PM »
Yay, peacocks.  ;D I got the second already checked out, just haven't gotten to it yet. I been slow in reading lately. Tennis, soccer and heatwave.

I always want more in that time period too. Its never enough for me. So little is written anymore in the period, its either regency, or as lately much later. I am not a fan of HR in such "new" periods. But its the thing now I guess.

I been looking forward to the human peacock in the 2nd. Hopefully I can get to it this coming week.

I am about to finish the 3rd in a trilogy. I think its just 3, nothing else yet. 3 friends. Male ones that is.
I really been enjoying them all.

Author has a couple of other books out I will definitely read in the future.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: June 24, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »
Always great to find a new-to-me author to check out!  Thanks, Atunah.

Offline danelson

• Scotland
    • View Profile
    • D A Nelson
« Reply #5089 on: June 25, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
Love a good Recency or Victorian historical romance.
Dawn Nelson

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: July 03, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
Oh! Oh! Oh! (doing a little happy dance in front of my computer) Do y'all remember back pages and pages ago in this thread (like about four years ago!) when we were all reading and loving the beginning of a new series by Miranda Davis about the Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Remember how blooming funny and sweet the first one was--"The Duke's Tattoo"??? And then there was "The Baron's Betrothal" in 2013 that was also five stars??? Well, at long last (on Dec 23 when none of us were looking) the third one has hit the shelves. I am so getting it right now. The only problem is that after so many years I may have to reread the first two.  ;D

I just got around to reading this long-awaited book last weekend.  I loved it!  Humor and snark, independent heroine who doesn't suffer fools lightly, anguished war hero hiding behind a tulip of the ton facade, and a trained bear to be rescued ...  My favorite of the series (even though I wish they would get better covers). Five stars from me.

This would be a fine example of a series I would have passed by (because of the covers) if I hadn't discovered them in this thread.  Surely there has to be a Book 4, doesn't there?  There are 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse and Percy still needs his HEA.  I hope we don't have to wait as long for it as we did this one.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: July 03, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
Dayum you dug deep into the well for that post.  ;D I am still behind on that series, darn it.

Agree on those covers. Would have totally went past on that one. Its why I trust you guys here. I'll overlook a crappy cover if you tell me you like it. Reader recs always top everything else. Especially readers here, that we know.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #5092 on: July 08, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
I just got around to reading this long-awaited book last weekend.  I loved it!  Humor and snark, independent heroine who doesn't suffer fools lightly, anguished war hero hiding behind a tulip of the ton facade, and a trained bear to be rescued ...  My favorite of the series (even though I wish they would get better covers). Five stars from me.

This would be a fine example of a series I would have passed by (because of the covers) if I hadn't discovered them in this thread.  Surely there has to be a Book 4, doesn't there?  There are 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse and Percy still needs his HEA.  I hope we don't have to wait as long for it as we did this one.

Same here, I would have passed those over too if not for the recommendations. Hopefully she will put out a 4th book without too long of a wait! Books 1 & 2 were a year apart, then we had to wait 4 years for the 3rd book.  ???

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2018 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: July 20, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #5094 on: Yesterday at 06:32:25 AM »

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2018 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: Yesterday at 06:55:31 AM »
On sale today for $0.99, book 7 of Elisa Braden's Rescued From Ruin series:

Also on sale from Zebra for $1.99 is a book by a new author, Dangerous, by Minerva Spencer. It's gotten good reviews. The heroine (a Duke's daughter) is in her 30's and spent the last 17 years in a harem. Unlike pretty much every other Regency I've read with this trope, there's no nonsense about her somehow magically still being a virgin. I read the sample yesterday, immediately bought it, and pushed it to the top of the TBR mountain.  ;D

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: Yesterday at 07:26:31 AM »
HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP

Shonda Rhymes is going to turn Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series into a Netflix series.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/business/media/shonda-rhimes-netflix-series.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Now that might get me to pay for Netflix again!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: Yesterday at 07:48:13 AM »

Also on sale from Zebra for $1.99 is a book by a new author, Dangerous, by Minerva Spencer. It's gotten good reviews. The heroine (a Duke's daughter) is in her 30's and spent the last 17 years in a harem. Unlike pretty much every other Regency I've read with this trope, there's no nonsense about her somehow magically still being a virgin. I read the sample yesterday, immediately bought it, and pushed it to the top of the TBR mountain.  ;D

I snapped up the Spencer title. It seems to have enough of the old school adventure vibe, without being one of the BR. I like the old adventures like that. Its why I often read older books. I actually had it on wait list, but way down the list.

Oh, and how convenient. I read up to #6 on the Elisa Braden series, this is #7. So just right. Thanks for posting these. Enabler you.  ;D

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: Yesterday at 12:18:11 PM »

Darn, I must have been too slow today, the Spencer is showing as $5.99 for me now. :(

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: Yesterday at 07:32:08 PM »
Darn, I must have been too slow today, the Spencer is showing as $5.99 for me now. :(

Wow that was quick. Unless its the Daily Deal, the Zebra books usually stay down in price for at least a week or two. Hopefully it will drop again soon.