Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 4535 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »

New to me. For 99 cents, though, it might be worth a try . . . . . reviews are a bit mixed though mostly positive.
That is what I am thinking. That is a very prolific author and after checking, I found I read one of her traditional regencies and I loved it. And that one was from 1977, so she's been writing for a long time.
I am just itching to find more HM series with lots of books out already. Cause once I get started on them and I like them, I read them pretty fast.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
I checked out the Ashley Gardner Regency Mysteries after they were recommended in Atunah's original post.  I'm not sure whether the first is permanently free or just currently free, but I picked it up today.

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
I enjoyed the Stephen Attebrook mystery series by Jason Vail. It's set in 13th century England.

Don't be put off by the rather (imo) poor covers. They're better than they look, but wouldn't appeal to people who like cozies, I suspect. :)

ETA: I'd love to find some new series as well, but I very much prefer medieval. Haven't found any Regency ones I enjoyed. Another pretty good medieval HM is The Bookseller's Tale by Ann Swinfen. I'd recommend The Servant of the Crown series by Denise Domning too. It's a short series, but an enjoyable read.

I don't see that they've been mentioned but I kind of assume that any Historical Mystery fan has read Ellis Peters' iconic Cadfael novels. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:05:11 AM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »
A unique series of "Jewish Regency Mysteries" by Libi Astaire is one I accidentally found when browsing Regency Romance.  I think they got stuck in there just because of Regency in the titles.  There is some romance in them, but the mysteries are the thrust of the stories.  I read them a few years back when they were new and rated 3 of the 4 at 4-stars (rated #3 at 3 stars because I thought the mystery was too obvious).

Anyway, the first of the series is free.

eta:  Either the series order has changed or the author has split the original series into 2 different series with crossover characters.  The book above was originally Book 3 (the one I said had the obvious mystery solution) and this is the Book 1 I rated 4-stars.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:33:52 AM by crebel »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
A unique series of "Jewish Regency Mysteries" by Libi Astaire is one I accidentally found when browsing Regency Romance.  I think they got stuck in there just because of Regency in the titles.  There is some romance in them, but the mysteries are the thrust of the stories.  I read them a few years back when they were new and rated 3 of the 4 at 4-stars (rated #3 at 3 stars because I thought the mystery was too obvious).

Anyway, the first of the series is free.

eta:  Either the series order has changed or the author has split the original series into 2 different series with crossover characters.  The book above was originally Book 3 (the one I said had the obvious mystery solution) and this is the Book 1 I rated 4-stars.

Thanks!

FictFact lists it as Ezra Melamed series and puts Disappearing Dowry first . . . . and shows it and The Ruby Spy Ring as being published before Tempest as well. . . . hmmm. . . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Thanks!

FictFact lists it as Ezra Melamed series and puts Disappearing Dowry first . . . . and shows it and The Ruby Spy Ring as being published before Tempest as well. . . . hmmm. . . . . .

Yes, the FictFact listing agrees with the order I first read them all (and would be chronological for the intertwined characters).  I have no clue why the 2 books are listed separately as "Ezra Melamed" when he is in every book and the "detective" in all.  Here is the FictFact order:

1.  The Disappearing Dowry
2.  The Ruby Spy Ring
3.  Tempest in the Tea Room
3.5 The Doppleganger's Dance
4.  Too Many Coins
4.5 General Well'ngone in Love

I'm not sure where the 3 different books listed on the series/author page at Amazon - The Moon Taker, The Vanisher Variations, and What's in a Flame - fit in the overall timeline.  Didn't mean to frustrate anybody (I am now) by recommending a series from a few years ago I thought was interesting at the time.  :(

More editing (I know, I should research first).  I went to her website libiastaire.weebly.com and poked around a bit.  There she lists the first 2 books of the FictFact list (Disappearing Dowry and Ruby Spy Ring) as the "prequel" novels followed by the Jewish Regency Series novels.  Then there are few short stories thrown in that are listed at Amazon but not part of the series page. Clear as mud now? ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:50:52 PM by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
OMG I am laughing so hard I am glad I am home alone at the moment. I am reading "A Perilous Undertaking" right now, the second in the Veronica Speedwell series and page 125, or 38% in.  ;D. I don't want to give it away, but Stoker's reaction there is just hilarious.

I love it when books make me laugh.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
OMG I am laughing so hard I am glad I am home alone at the moment. I am reading "A Perilous Undertaking" right now, the second in the Veronica Speedwell series and page 125, or 38% in.  ;D. I don't want to give it away, but Stoker's reaction there is just hilarious.

I love it when books make me laugh.

I definitely have to move it up the TBR . . . except I also have a library book I've got to get to! :o :o So many books ---- so little time! ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
I definitely have to move it up the TBR . . . except I also have a library book I've got to get to! :o :o So many books ---- so little time! ;D
No kidding. I have to make lists for the library books so I read them in order of when they expire, since my libraries have different checkout times. And I already have a few lined up like little soldiers that just came out or are about to com out next week. I just know, no matter what my slot is, they will all come up at once.

This book I am reading now I am keeping wifi off as its going to expire sometimes within 1 day. Could be 4 hours, could be 6. I don't know. I am probably going to finish it before, but I won't be happy if it goes poof like just before the climax of the crime solving.  :P

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
I finished " A perilous Undertaking" and I loved it.

now I am reading

Its the 4th in the Gaslight Mysteries. I really like this series, although its set a wee bit later than what I usually like reading.
I am trying to catch up with my library reads and I am trying to read series books a bit closer together this year than I did in the past. So I don't have a huge time between the books and can't remember anything.
So far so good, just started this one though. Only on 2nd chapter. Can't remember who recommended those, but I am glad I started them, even if I was worried because the main character is a midwife. That just didn't sound like anything I wanted to read about. But its much more than that. Thankfully.  8)
I think it might have been Ellen that mentioned them.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Since I have been talking about the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, the first in the series is on sale for $1.99.

These things are all $7.99. The last time the first one was on sale for 1.99 was back in October of 2015. So not very often.

There is a chrome plugin by the way from ereaderIQ where you can see the price history of any kindle book in the store. See what it cost at any point with a graph.

That cover is so dark I can't even see what is on it. So weird. Its not so dark on goodreads. Or the other books aren't this dark.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:37:55 AM by Atunah »

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
Since I have been talking about the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, the first in the series is on sale for $1.99.

These things are all $7.99. The last time the first one was on sale for 1.99 was back in October of 2015. So not very often.

There is a chrome plugin by the way from ereaderIQ where you can see the price history of any kindle book in the store. See what it cost at any point with a graph.

That cover is so dark I can't even see what is on it. So weird. Its not so dark on goodreads. Or the other books aren't this dark.

I blogged that sale a couple of days ago and yeah--that cover is weird.   You can't make out what it is (although I think it's supposed to be a streetlight).  Kinda dark and muddy.  Well, that points to a mystery for sure!   ;)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
here is what goodreads has listed as the paperback. The font is different too and placement, but I think the image is the same. I assume  ;D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Wow. That is way different.  The one on Amazon is a blotch of street light with a red thing in there and that's about all you can see!

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
I have the Victoria Thompson book from early on, certainly some years ago, so I went and looked to see what the cover was on the ebook then. There isn't one. If you use Go To Cover, you get to a title page, no cover.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »
I, too, bought the Thompson ages ago -- back in 2009 . . . . I just re-sent it to my kindle to see what I can see (I read it a while back, too).

The thumbnail in b&w doesn't show much, but appears to be the cover shown in Atunah's post. When I 'go to cover' it's as ellenoc says -- basically a title page; no image.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 06:14:22 AM »
Maybe they lost the rights to the original cover or the ebook was scanned in to make the electronic copy (in which case they wouldn't have had the rights to the cover, most likely).  Who knows.  It's weird that it shows up so dark in some placed.  Well, all the counts is chocolate chip cookies and what is inside the cover anyway!

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 11:29:12 PM »
Since we've moved our historical time periods into eras with electricity now and then  ;), Charles Todd (who I understand is actually a husband/wife writing team) has two WWI series. Bess Crawford is a battlefield nurse. Ian Rutledge is a Scotland Yard inspector who fought in the war, was hospitalized with battle fatigue, and is trying to function while hiding this shameful secret (in those days the general consensus was that those who suffered battle fatigue were cowards). I started with the Inspector Rutledge stories, thinking I'd like them better, but when I moved on to the Bess Crawford ones, preferred those, although I like them both. Neither has a romantic thread, although I saw what may be signs of one coming in the last Inspector Rutledge book.
I just found the Ian Rutledge series and really enjoy the rather dark feel of the series. It's not quite Noir but definitely more in that direction than the usual British manor house mystery. I've only read the first one but the series has actually tempted me temporarily out of medieval mysteries.  I finished the first one A Test of Wills and just downloaded A Fine Summer's Day. :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:31:01 PM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 06:38:23 AM »
I read very few historical mysteries written by contemporary authors*, but I do like the ones by Bill Pronzini and Marcia Muller:

From the Amazon page:

In The Bughouse Affair, this first of a new series of lighthearted historical mysteries set in 1890s San Francisco, former Pinkerton operative Sabina Carpenter and her detective partner, ex-Secret Service agent John Quincannon, undertake what initially appear to be two unrelated investigations.

This series is written by a husband and wife team who each have their own very successful mystery series that have been appearing for decades. Pre-Kindle, I used to buy each of their new works in hardcover the day they were available.

The Carpenter/Quicannon series are a bit pricey though, at $9.99 each. But I think they are worth it. I think there are currently five in the series.

Mike

* I do, however read many mysteries that were originally published back in the 1890s and after.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
I just found the Ian Rutledge series and really enjoy the rather dark feel of the series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It would be hard to set anything during WWI or its aftermath and have it be light. So far the Bess Crawford ones are all set while the war is going on, as opposed to the Rutledge ones after the war. She returns home pretty regularly, though, so big parts of the stories take place in England. I've been a lot less familiar with that whole era than say, WWII, and my curiosity's been piqued enough to do some research just because.

Offline Sara Rosett

• Mystery and intrigue with humor on the side...
    • View Profile
    • SaraRosett.com
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
I've found a few new historical mysteries:
(WWII England)

(Late Victorian London)

(Edwardian England)

I just started In Farleigh Field and I'm enjoying it. Haven't started Limelight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:50:19 PM by Sara Rosett »

Writing mysteries and teaching How to Outline a Cozy Mystery online course
Sara Rosett | Webpage | Twitter | Pinterest | All Things Bookish | Facebook |

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
I just finished Death Comes to the Village, a nice and peaceful Regency mystery. Catherine Lloyd did a good job with her research although she seems to be more interested in her characters than the mystery itself. I enjoyed reading this one and will probably pick up the next book in the series.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:43 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It would be hard to set anything during WWI or its aftermath and have it be light. So far the Bess Crawford ones are all set while the war is going on, as opposed to the Rutledge ones after the war. She returns home pretty regularly, though, so big parts of the stories take place in England. I've been a lot less familiar with that whole era than say, WWII, and my curiosity's been piqued enough to do some research just because.
WWI and the early twenties in Britain were definitely not a light period. The death toll was amazing. In some villages, particularly in Scotland, all men of service age were killed. It really did devastate the country.

The series isn't wearing very well for me though. It's a fine line authors have to walk. Readers want the novels similar but not too similar. I'm finding them a bit too similar to be tempted to keep on with the series after the first four. But I have to say the writing is very solid, and I enjoyed them for a while.  I'll have to check out the Bess Crawford ones.

ETA: By the way I also tried River of Darkness: The First John Madden Mystery by Rennie Airth and it totally wasn't my cup of tea. It's also set just after WWI. However, someone who likes a lot of romance in their mysteries might like it. There was too much of that for me, but I also just wasn't drawn into the characters at all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:53:25 AM by JRTomlin »

Saor Alba

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
I am about to read

Its the first in a series. It came up at my library and I can't remember now why I put it on hold in the first place. Maybe something in this thread? There are so far 5 books. It is a bit more newer, or not very recent history for my personal taste, but I'll give it a go. I am still looking for stuff "older". Lots of stuff at turn of century and later.

I am now caught up sadly with the Captain Lacey mysteries and the next one is out tomorrow, I preordered it already. Then I still savoring the CS Harris series, but not sure what to read after that. I think Lucinda Brant has a older one time period way, but I need something long. Long series.  ;D

I declare a severe lack of historical mystery series set before 1890's, preferable before 1850's,  that have bunch of books in them.  8)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
I'm not sure if you'd be interested in this because it's YA, but there's a historical mystery series called The Agency by Y.S. Lee. It's set in 1850 London and the MC is a 17 YO orphan who was sent to an institution that educates young women when she was 12. She's now a teacher there, but is recruited into their sideline business, a covert spy organization. I don't think there's any real romance, but it could be a fun read. There are 4 books in the series.