KB Featured Book
The Mind of a Medium
by Tony Garrod

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-01-29
Bestseller ranking: 1655883

Product Description
A fascinating look at consciousness, mediumship, psychics, spritualist circles, scientific theories, the paranormal and more.

As a developing medium, there are many questions we need answers to concerning our ability, but find that many of those questions have no answers no matter how hard we look.

In this book I describe different sides to becoming a medium and give some guidance as to what sort of circle may best suit an individual. I explain how different circle venues and the people who attend and run them can help or hinder progress in this field. I also explain the different techniques that various tutors use and discuss the experiences I've had with the mediums, tutors and lessons I've taken in the circles I've attended. I explain how connections are experienced, made and lost, and the ups and downs to connections made.

If you've read my first book, Fifty-one Percent, you will know that I like ...

Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?  (Read 2392 times)  

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
Re: Anyone a Historical Mystery fan?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
The series isn't wearing very well for me though. It's a fine line authors have to walk. Readers want the novels similar but not too similar. I'm finding them a bit too similar to be tempted to keep on with the series after the first four. But I have to say the writing is very solid, and I enjoyed them for a while.  I'll have to check out the Bess Crawford ones.

As I said, I ended up liking the Bess Crawford stories better than the Ian Rutledge ones. I understand about a series wearing thin after a certain number of books. I've stopped with both the Captain Lacey mysteries and Victoria Thompson's series. Part of it for me is this compulsion with writers to take an interesting (for me, all this is my opinion, of course) character and turn them into someone less so. For instance, Captain Lacey is originally an injured war vet struggling on a small income. Victoria Thompson's heroine is a midwife, also struggling. Both of them marry money and life thereafter is all roses except for their solving mysteries.

One problem with finding a series with quite a few books available and reading them one after another is any weaknesses show right up, whether it's small things like the author's tendency to use a particular phrase in every book or something larger like same story premises.

A series I mentioned before has a new book out - Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett series. It's labeled as #6 in the series, but I have 8 in the collection on my Kindle. The earlier ones weren't numbered, and I had to look up the order when I started with them since like Atunah I'm compulsive about reading series in order. Evident South was going to end the series with his marriage but decided to write one more showing how things were going (#6). The note at the end of this one makes it appear she's decided she has enough fans like me to continue the series even more. As I said before, this is currently my second favorite historical mystery series behind only C.S. Harris's, so I'm delighted. It's too romancey for you, J.R., but I think Atunah would like it.

Pickett has also married money, but he didn't realize it, naively expected his wife, widow of a viscount, was going to live on his earnings as a Bow Street runner, and in Book 6 isn't happy about the discovery. So far it's all entertaining.

A book I wasn't going to mention here but now will in case anyone likes very dark is Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwell. The premise is a man who needs the money is hired to rubber stamp the guilt of a man about to hang. He was a poor choice of investigator as he has too much conscience for rubber stamping and actually investigates. It gives a realistic and ugly look into Britain's justice system, prisons, and execution methods in the good old days - I think early Nineteenth Century, but it's been a while since I read it, about then anyway. Also, I think it's a standalone not first of a series. Not for the faint of heart.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »

A series I mentioned before has a new book out - Sheri Cobb South's John Pickett series. It's labeled as #6 in the series, but I have 8 in the collection on my Kindle. The earlier ones weren't numbered, and I had to look up the order when I started with them since like Atunah I'm compulsive about reading series in order. Evident South was going to end the series with his marriage but decided to write one more showing how things were going (#6). The note at the end of this one makes it appear she's decided she has enough fans like me to continue the series even more. As I said before, this is currently my second favorite historical mystery series behind only C.S. Harris's, so I'm delighted. It's too romancey for you, J.R., but I think Atunah would like it.

I have the first in the Cobb series. Or at least I think its the first. I only find 6 books in the series, what are the other 2? I only see 2 shorts that are listed in between the 6 full books. I ignore shorts and novellas inbetweeners as I call them. But are there books before "In Milady's Chamber?" I been looking and I am not seeing any. Just want to make sure I start at the beginning. Reading order OCD is a real thing.  8) I own Milady's Chamber already so I can move it up on my list if its the first one.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
I prefer long to short too, Atunah, but when I'm keen on an author, I'll read something short by them, and in that way I've discovered a couple of novellas that changed my mind about that form.

Anyway, the 8 I have are:

Pickpocket's Apprentice (This is a 128-page "prequel," so you'd do without, and it wasn't written first even though chronologically it is first.)
In Milady's Chamber #1
A Dead Bore #2
Family Plot #3
Dinner Most Deadly #4
Waiting Game (This is a 126-page novella, so you'd skip it too.)
Too Hot to Handel #5
For Deader or Worse #6

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
Thanks Ellen. That helps a lot. Somehow goodreads didn't have the first novella in the series listing. I just can't do shorts, even if they are part of series. So even with favorite authors and series, I skip them.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
I had somehow missed that Bernard Cornwell in spite of being a big fan of his. I love very dark, so it should be right up my alley. Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. :)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More