Author Topic: AMS Ads Learning  (Read 123848 times)  

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: AMS Ads Learning
« Reply #1500 on: August 03, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
AMS has little capacity to generate more than a very few sales / consistently positive ROI.

I guess that depends on your definition of what a lot of sales are. According to my dashboard I've had over $4,000 in sales and that's not counting KU reads or follow-through sales or sales from increased visibility.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 03, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
I guess that depends on your definition of what a lot of sales are. According to my dashboard I've had over $4,000 in sales and that's not counting KU reads or follow-through sales or sales from increased visibility.

Something to Consider?

I do not know if many fellow authors maintain eMail lists, publish blogs, or gather useable eMail addresses from many potential sources.  I personally do not maintain eMail lists, since I am basically a mail order guy (also Amazon newbie).

But, for those who do maintain eMail address lists, you may wish to consider working list trades with other successful authors - the profit potential may be enormous.

In my 30+ years in mail order, I made the greatest profits by far by working up customer list trades.  At least 90% of my yearly profits resulted from successful customer list trades.  Most of my every-day profits came from broker-rented postal mailing lists (the vast majority of which are garbage)  - from which I still made a well above average income.

However, on a per-envelope-mailed basis, traded customer lists ultimately generated at least 50 times as much profit.  That is because a traded list is generally at least 10 times as productive as a rented (garbage) list, can be used for unlimited mailings (by mutual agreement), and repeatedly mailed to for all the different  products one has to offer.  Rented broker lists are strictly for one-time use (they can be rented multiple times, but I never had a second rental turn a profit).  For Amazon authors, trading eMail lists may have similar profit potential.

The tricky part is convincing others to work up trades.  First - they have to be successful enough to have created relatively large list(s).  Second - you have to develop a mutual trust, i.e., be assured the traded names (eMail addresses) are legitimate.  The way I did this was by suggesting an initial trade of 500 names.  If testing proves mutually profitable (it always did for me), the rest is easy - just keep trading until you reach the end of the list.  After that, you continue periodically trading as new names become available.  I never worked up more than 1,000 names per trade - to eliminate the possibility of stealing the other guys entire list (helps assure continued mutual trust).

If I had unlimited list trading partners, I would have become very wealthy.  In reality, the postal customer trading list universe was always small - shrinking to zero as the mail order business (at least for small guys such as myself) gradually went down the crapper.  (I stuck it out to the very end - living off savings for the past 5+ years - went from always having 2 or 3 airplanes and a nice Mercedes to where I am now, 1 airplane and a Toyota Corolla.)

The part where most folks have a big problem with trading is that of supposed product competition.  However (in my mail order experiences), unless each party is offering identical products, product competition is actually minimal - vastly outweighed by the many advantages of list trading.  Since Amazon has a 5-Million+ book library, identical product completion has to be close to zero.

It seems that most folks on this forum write romance novels - for which there is obviously a huge market.  IMHO, even those who write fictional-romance could also befit from marketing to nonfiction-romance readers, especially if they have the added advantage of working with traded lists.

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 03, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
A lot of authors are doing something like this now, calling them cross promos. You can check offers on Bookfunnel and other mailing list sites, and other threads here.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 03, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
Well, my two ads are pretty much dormant.  Not much happening with them (two different genres).  I upped the bid on some keywords, to .25, and a few to .30.  Maybe that will jump-start a little action.
Jena

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 03, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
Thinking about this insightful thread and my own experience with AMS strongly suggests AMS has little capacity to generate more than a very few sales / consistently positive ROI.  AMS results aren't worth the trouble to try to make work an inadequate sales tool. :(

I probably shouldn't say this, since in theory we do want others to walk away from these ads, leaving better placements for us.

You are correct that these ads do not produce a fantastic flood of sales and page reads for already established authors. The effect is different for those of us on the prawny end of things. For us, the AMS ads do in fact produce exponentially better results than no ads at all, or ads with discounted books. I won't argue that a BookBub ad would probably do more--if I could get one. Some of the second tier newsletters also produce good results, but my books always get turned down for those, too.

So, I'm locked out, and meanwhile, you're forgetting the discoverability thing. By having my books on page 1 of a category via an AMS sponsored ad, I am able to leap over books that are selling better. The resulting visibility produces sales and page reads, and those produce rank improvements that help make my books more likely to be discovered and to sell. It's by no means the same effect as having an ad in three newsletters one week, granted. But it costs less and is more consistent. Possibly, one failing is that everybody and his brother sees the AMS ads, and only dedicated book buyers see the newsletter ads. Still, I find it hard to get excited over 50 sales of a book discounted to 99 cents and not in a Kindle Countdown, so I net maybe 33 cents from the sale.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:00:21 AM by LilyBLily »

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »
Thinking about this insightful thread and my own experience with AMS strongly suggests AMS has little capacity to generate more than a very few sales / consistently positive ROI.  AMS results aren't worth the trouble to try to make work an inadequate sales tool. :(

I disagree.  Advertising, from my experience, is a crazy affair.  You never know what will, or will not, work until you test it.  It is a different, weird, crazy, strange, business - but definitely fascinating.

AMS ads may not make you a bundle - but some folks have definitely made them do just that.  Ad costs are sure attractive; the price is right (you pay only for Clicks).  Just create an ad that makes at least a few bucks here and there, and let it ride.  Then move on to the next ad.  Do some experimenting to create a similar ad that may do even better.

You may be busting your butt marketing something that barely makes a profit.  Then, sometimes by shear luck (most likely intuition), you decide to try something different.  Suddenly everything heads in just the opposite direction - the bucks start rolling in - for no obvious reason.  It may seem insane when it happens - can almost make you feel guilty  - as in, what did I do to deserve this?

But, if you look closely enough, you will discover which factor was responsible for changing everything.  Almost always it is a single, obviously simple thing (in hindsight), that made the difference.  The trick is to stick with that simple difference.  Whatever you do, do not change the original ad.  Write an identical ad, but change only a single element, and then see what happens (the old, but proven, A/B testing thing).  If the new ad gives better results, keep it.  If not, try another variation of the original ad, and try that.  Again, it is the old rinse and repeat thing - A/B testing - it works!

P.S.  Right now, things with Kindle seems to be going goofy (at least for myself, with some of my ads).  I think they are having serious problems - but stick it out - they should soon have the bugs worked out, and be back on track.  We shall see!

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 03, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »
Well - as promised by the "Contact Us" folks at Amazon - here is their reply to my recent inquiry, and in a timely manner, also just as they promised.

I have to give them credit - they seem to have given my inquiry serious thought.  I do not want to comment on their reply - at least not yet - just hoping to get others' thoughts at this point.  I have to give it more studying myself before commenting.

*********************************************************************************

Hello,

I'm following up with you regarding your recent inquiry ads.

1. I notice that many of my own ad impressions may appear in a particular eBook carousel but, upon later referring to that same eBook carousel, some of the ads (if not all) no longer appear in that carousel. Have those ads, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, simply been deleted from the entire inventory of AMS ads, or have they been transferred to other eBook carousel(s)?

ANSWER: Ads are not 'deleted', but they may be outperformed. Just because you setup a campaign it does not mean that your ad will automatically be shown. AMS is an auction based advertising system and if you bid and CTR are at the right amount to beat out others, then you will be in those placements that you are vying for. However, checking over and over and over again and it showing up one time and then not showing up is not indicator of performance. This is a very common misconception in the author community - please inform your friends too of the about. Please also note more details or located on the AMS help page and within KDP help content in the section promoting your books.

2. Along that same line of reasoning - if at any moment in time I have (for example) 10,000 total ad impressions appearing for a particular eBook, will those same 10,000 impressions continue appearing as long as I continue running that ad? Or will certain of those impressions, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, have been be deleted from the entire AMS ad inventory?

ANSWER: I am not sure what this question means. The way that AMS works is quite simple. Your ad has the potential to win placements through the following combinations. High bid and High click through rate (when a customer sees your ad and clicks on it) will most likely win every time. CTRs build up overtime, so if you are just beginning to advertise with AMS it is wise to go with a high bid in order to win impressions and thus build up your CTR. Once you have a high CTR for an ad and this is based on longevity so the longer you run an ad the better, you can lower your bid, but only if you have a high CTR. Low bids and low CTRs will see little to no performance because they are not winning the auction when competing against other ads.

Does that make sense? There is not a set number of impressions as this is based on customers that visit the pages that your ads are shown on and as such it may increase with seasonality, more popular shopping days and is also highly dependent on if you are choosing interests or keywords that are popular interests or search terms.

If you have further questions, please feel free to drop us an email at kdp-support@amazon.com. We'll be glad to address your concerns as soon as possible.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A1DFZ21DIF7BN6&k=hy

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A1DFZ21DIF7BN6&k=hn

Regards,

Karthikeyan SB
Kindle Direct Publishing
http://kdp.amazon.com
=============================
Connect with KDP and other Authors and Publishers:
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KindleDirectPublishing
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/AmazonKDP
Community: https://kdp.amazon.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=9
Resources: https://kdp.amazon.com/help

---- Original message: ----

Subject: Are Ad Impressions consistent?

As with many other fellow authors Running AMS ads, I am attempting to gather meaningful information regarding placement of my ad impressions within eBook carousels.

In general, AMS ad impression placement appears to be a somewhat confusing and contentious issue for many authors.  I feel any information AMS can share toward clarifying impression placement will help promote increased ad efficiency; thus being of financial benefit to both AMS and its authors.

If you would kindly address the following issues, it will certainly be appreciated:

I notice that many of my own ad impressions may appear in a particular eBook carousel but, upon later referring to that same eBook carousel, some of the ads (if not all) no longer appear in that carousel.  Have those ads, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, simply been deleted from the entire inventory of AMS ads, or have they been transferred to other eBook carousel(s)?

Along that same line of reasoning - if at any moment in time I have (for example) 10,000 total ad impressions appearing for a particular eBook, will those same 10,000 impressions continue appearing as long as I continue running that ad?  Or will certain of those impressions, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, have been be deleted from the entire AMS ad inventory?

Thanks for your anticipated reply,

Gordy Weigle, Kustom Power

Offline weigle1234

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
Something Strange happening Here?

Within the last day or two I submitted 5 separate ads, 4 of which are for the same book.  Although Impressions are about what I might expect (varying from about 3,000 to 9,000 - much too early to draw any meaningful conclusions) - so far not a single Click has occurred.  All this in spite of the fact that my Bids have now been increased as a result of earlier test ads.

This is definitely at odds from all my past experiences.  I keep harping about waiting for at least a week before ads stabilize, but no Clicks with all these Impressions is really different - even seems weird at this point.

Hopefully this is just typical delays in reporting - but for all 5 ads (2 are only a day old) with lots of Impressions, but no Clicks, seems strange - never had anything even close to this happen in the past.  Any ideas as to what may be going on here?

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #1508 on: August 04, 2017, 03:45:08 AM »
Well - as promised by the "Contact Us" folks at Amazon - here is their reply to my recent inquiry, and in a timely manner, also just as they promised.

I have to give them credit - they seem to have given my inquiry serious thought.  I do not want to comment on their reply - at least not yet - just hoping to get others' thoughts at this point.  I have to give it more studying myself before commenting.

*********************************************************************************

Hello,

I'm following up with you regarding your recent inquiry ads.

1. I notice that many of my own ad impressions may appear in a particular eBook carousel but, upon later referring to that same eBook carousel, some of the ads (if not all) no longer appear in that carousel. Have those ads, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, simply been deleted from the entire inventory of AMS ads, or have they been transferred to other eBook carousel(s)?

ANSWER: Ads are not 'deleted', but they may be outperformed. Just because you setup a campaign it does not mean that your ad will automatically be shown. AMS is an auction based advertising system and if you bid and CTR are at the right amount to beat out others, then you will be in those placements that you are vying for. However, checking over and over and over again and it showing up one time and then not showing up is not indicator of performance. This is a very common misconception in the author community - please inform your friends too of the about. Please also note more details or located on the AMS help page and within KDP help content in the section promoting your books.

2. Along that same line of reasoning - if at any moment in time I have (for example) 10,000 total ad impressions appearing for a particular eBook, will those same 10,000 impressions continue appearing as long as I continue running that ad? Or will certain of those impressions, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, have been be deleted from the entire AMS ad inventory?

ANSWER: I am not sure what this question means. The way that AMS works is quite simple. Your ad has the potential to win placements through the following combinations. High bid and High click through rate (when a customer sees your ad and clicks on it) will most likely win every time. CTRs build up overtime, so if you are just beginning to advertise with AMS it is wise to go with a high bid in order to win impressions and thus build up your CTR. Once you have a high CTR for an ad and this is based on longevity so the longer you run an ad the better, you can lower your bid, but only if you have a high CTR. Low bids and low CTRs will see little to no performance because they are not winning the auction when competing against other ads.

Does that make sense? There is not a set number of impressions as this is based on customers that visit the pages that your ads are shown on and as such it may increase with seasonality, more popular shopping days and is also highly dependent on if you are choosing interests or keywords that are popular interests or search terms.

If you have further questions, please feel free to drop us an email at kdp-support@amazon.com. We'll be glad to address your concerns as soon as possible.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A1DFZ21DIF7BN6&k=hy

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A1DFZ21DIF7BN6&k=hn

Regards,

Karthikeyan SB
Kindle Direct Publishing
http://kdp.amazon.com
=============================
Connect with KDP and other Authors and Publishers:
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KindleDirectPublishing
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/AmazonKDP
Community: https://kdp.amazon.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=9
Resources: https://kdp.amazon.com/help

---- Original message: ----

Subject: Are Ad Impressions consistent?

As with many other fellow authors Running AMS ads, I am attempting to gather meaningful information regarding placement of my ad impressions within eBook carousels.

In general, AMS ad impression placement appears to be a somewhat confusing and contentious issue for many authors.  I feel any information AMS can share toward clarifying impression placement will help promote increased ad efficiency; thus being of financial benefit to both AMS and its authors.

If you would kindly address the following issues, it will certainly be appreciated:

I notice that many of my own ad impressions may appear in a particular eBook carousel but, upon later referring to that same eBook carousel, some of the ads (if not all) no longer appear in that carousel.  Have those ads, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, simply been deleted from the entire inventory of AMS ads, or have they been transferred to other eBook carousel(s)?

Along that same line of reasoning - if at any moment in time I have (for example) 10,000 total ad impressions appearing for a particular eBook, will those same 10,000 impressions continue appearing as long as I continue running that ad?  Or will certain of those impressions, for whatever reason you may be able to divulge, have been be deleted from the entire AMS ad inventory?

Thanks for your anticipated reply,

Sorry, probably obvious, but what is CTR?

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #1509 on: August 04, 2017, 03:55:34 AM »
Sorry, probably obvious, but what is CTR?

Click Through Rate?

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #1510 on: August 04, 2017, 05:08:24 AM »
Okay, as someone who started AMS between August and Sept last year, and who has not changed their ads other than adding keywords and increasing bids, I now get the CTR thing that they mention that plays maybe a bigger part in the bidding process  than we realize and therefore goes a long way to dictating impressions.

Out of 5 books I have one book with a CTR that is consistantly 200% better than my other book as regards CTR, and which are in the doldrums. Needless to say, it has far more impressions, clicks, and sales of 5 times of the others over the year. 

I should have seen it earlier and taken action. Basically, I need to scrap those 4 ads that are not performing and to start again.

Saying that, I think that changing ads monthly, or less, doesn't beat their algos which they use to build up a CTR picture, or to give you sufficient time to assess results. If you change them regularly, AMS and you can only work on trial and error and that's why AMS stop your ads performing after a short period to assess your results, which usually encourages you to increase bids.

As they say, you can give individual ads a boost by increasing bids, but if they still are not clicking, then you are wasting your time and need to look at you ad copy and cover, and dare I say it, your offering inside the book.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.

I have an example of this at the moment. The first book in my signature is on kindle scout for nominations. Usually I simply write a book, prepare it and publish. This time I decided to try it out. I uploaded to Wattpad. It quickly garnered reads and stars and made it to the top 50 in thrillers. Before I took down the early chapters on Wattpad, in a short space of time I had 5,000 reads and around 500 stars.  I also picked up 4 authors who have read it all the way through with positive feedback and one is on chapter 29 just now and left a comment "great hook at the end" None of them expected me to reciprocate. I also had two indie publishers contact me offering to publish.

Those who have been on writer's sites know that to get anyone to read and comment all the way through is next to impossible, so I thought, great, lets try it with agents. I didn't try many, but they were a good fit, all rejected it. So I thought, okay, let's try it on Kindle Scout seeing as how it garnered interest on Wattpad.

When I searched the internet, I saw graphs of KS books that reached the Hot and Trending for days with only 100 page landings a day. My book has now been on there for 7 days and only had 1 hour in H&T, yet it has had 2.700 page landings. That's 385 page landing per day from people looking to nominate books. I know people are nominating, which is like a sale, but not enough for me to get noticed by the editors by getting on the H&T list.

So I repeat again, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, even if you think it will be good from them to do so.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:29:41 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 04, 2017, 05:59:14 AM »

[edited]

Their answer bears out my experience that starting an ad at their suggested 25 cents is a smart move. Cap the total spend for the day at a low figure, not the bids, and AMS will give your book more impressions.

When I started these ads, I was thrilled just to get the impressions, and I still do think it's a very cost-efficient way of getting my books out there for people to notice. For the same $60 that two newsletter ads would cost me, which at most might run for a couple of days each, I get my book shown every day of the month, and at full price, so I don't have to rush around and make sure the discounts are in place and then rush around again and make sure the discounts have ended. No, it's not "set it and forget it," but on a daily basis, it is close enough. 

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #1512 on: August 04, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
From the AMS reply:

Once you have a high CTR for an ad and this is based on longevity so the longer you run an ad the better, you can lower your bid, but only if you have a high CTR.

That's interesting.  I though the conventional wisdom was to RAISE bids on successful keywords (those with a good CTR), not to LOWER them.

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #1513 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
A lot of authors are doing something like this now, calling them cross promos. You can check offers on Bookfunnel and other mailing list sites, and other threads here.

I only did one cross promo and never again. It benefits the one arraanging it as you end up with all their books on your also boughts and it takes forever to get rid of them. The other thing is many do them for 2 days and with the second day a bust, there isn't as big a sales tail as there would be from one day.

Declan Conner | blog

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 04, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »
I only did one cross promo and never again. It benefits the one arranging it as you end up with all their books on your also boughts and it takes forever to get rid of them. The other thing is many do them for 2 days and with the second day a bust, there isn't as big a sales tail as there would be from one day.

Not to derail the thread, but I think too many of us are hauling water from the same well when it comes to getting mailing list signups. The only ones worth much are the organic names; those people actually want to read my next books.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: August 04, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

Interesting.  So, one strategy to try would be to initially use a high bid (at least the default 0.25 per keyword, if not higher), and then, once the ad establishes some traction, the bids can be lowered.  I wonder what is considered an acceptable, or reasonable, CTR when the bids can be lowered again?

Also, I'm still not seeing my ad on the product pages for DVDs of a related TV show.   >:(  I increased my bids, too.  Is it actually possible that the group that created DVDs for the Thunderbirds, or a C movie called Battle in Seattle, are outbidding me to get onto the carousel of an old TV show??  (And why don't they simply add more pages to the carousel?)
Jena

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #1516 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »
Okay. I've terminated my best ad by mistake.

Can someone explain how the copy function works in detail and if that copy function restores keywords somehow?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:35:52 AM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 04, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »
Okay. I've terminated my best ad by mistake.

Can someone explain howe the copy function works in detail and if that copy function restores keywords somehow?

IIRC, yes, it literally copies the ad exactly as it was:  keywords and even bid amounts.  Click on Copy and see... you can always back out if you don't like what you see.  Just be sure to rename the new ad, and when you get to the page, you scroll down to see all your keywords, right where you left them.  (It's been a few months since I copied an ad, so I don't recall any other details.)
Jena

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #1518 on: August 04, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
Interesting.  So, one strategy to try would be to initially use a high bid (at least the default 0.25 per keyword, if not higher), and then, once the ad establishes some traction, the bids can be lowered.

Does this mean that AMS keeps historical track of CTRs across all book campaigns? So when you start a new campaign on a book that has an established CTR track record from previous campaigns, you don't need to open with higher bids?

This might explain why one of my newer campaigns for a book with an established CTR track record is doing well with relatively lower bids. Meanwhile, another one of my books with no CTR footprint (and similar low bids) died off after the first day. I guess I needed to set higher bids on the no-CTR book to help get it established.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #1519 on: August 04, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
IIRC, yes, it literally copies the ad exactly as it was:  keywords and even bid amounts.  Click on Copy and see... you can always back out if you don't like what you see.  Just be sure to rename the new ad, and when you get to the page, you scroll down to see all your keywords, right where you left them.  (It's been a few months since I copied an ad, so I don't recall any other details.)

Oh, dear. Mine must have had a glitch as it didn't copy the keywords as was. No problem, I've sorted it manually and the other ads are copying the keywords as they should.

Declan Conner | blog

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #1520 on: August 04, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
Ive begun to dabble with this and I am averaging about 1 click for every 1000 impressions on two ads so far.

I am pricing them at $0.99 but it seems almost everyone else is going full price?  :o

One of my ad results seems pretty strange. Before I started it my book had a rank in the 330K in the paid section. After a few days of the ad I had a few clicks and no sales, but the rank improved considerably to around 70K, so I must have sold two books (or the equivalent in borrows) that are not reflected on the AMS dashboard or its just delayed- or could even have been an indirect sale because of the added exposure. It's pretty baffling to me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:18:59 PM by JTriptych »

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 04, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
Ive begun to dabble with this and I am averaging about 1 click for every 1000 impressions on two ads so far.

I am pricing them at $0.99 but it seems almost everyone else is going full price?  :o

One of my ad results seems pretty strange. Before I started it my book had a rank in the 330K in the paid section. After a few days of the ad I had a few clicks and no sales, but the rank improved considerably to around 70K, so I must have sold two books (or the equivalent in borrows) that are not reflected on the AMS dashboard or its just delayed- or could even have been an indirect sale because of the added exposure. It's pretty baffling to me.

Not profitable to run AMS ads on 99-cent books. Raise your price.

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #1522 on: August 05, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »
Not profitable to run AMS ads on 99-cent books. Raise your price.
Not even if its the first book in a series?

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 05, 2017, 05:24:33 AM »
Oh, dear. Mine must have had a glitch as it didn't copy the keywords as was. No problem, I've sorted it manually and the other ads are copying the keywords as they should.

I seem to recall that after hitting "copy," I saw an ad set-up page, and there was the standard box with the 'suggested' keywords.  Which was discouraging to see.  But scrolling down below that, there was another box with all my actual chosen/added keywords.  And below that was the original ad text.

I just now tested it by clicking "copy" on one of my terminated  ads.   Not sure why your experience would be different.   :-\     :(
Jena

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #1524 on: August 05, 2017, 05:28:20 AM »
I seem to recall that after hitting "copy," I saw an ad set-up page, and there was the standard box with the 'suggested' keywords.  Which was discouraging to see.  But scrolling down below that, there was another box with all my actual chosen/added keywords.  And below that was the original ad text.

I just now tested it by clicking "copy" on one of my terminated  ads.   Not sure why your experience would be different.   :-\     :(

Nether do I, but that's what has happened when I terminated. I've tried it again and it's the same. I checked the others, but only in pause and the copy included the manual keywords.

Declan Conner | blog