Author Topic: AMS Ads Learning  (Read 29798 times)  

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
Re: AMS Ads Learning
« Reply #275 on: March 19, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
Okay, but in an earlier post you were touting how fast making the changes in Author Central was. Am I misunderstanding?

I'm just saying: If you make a book description change in Author Central, make sure you have a copy of that so when/if you make your next KDP change, you pop that in. Then everything's up to date. (FYI: I have entire Google Doc pages with all my basic book info, AMS ad info, etc. I work from there.)

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.
Website | FacebookBook Cover Reviews discussion group

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
Does someone have a link to this mythical $100 in free AMS credit?

As far as I know you just sign up here. (scroll down for the fine print)

https://ams.amazon.com/

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #277 on: March 19, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
I'm just saying: If you make a book description change in Author Central, make sure you have a copy of that so when/if you make your next KDP change, you pop that in. Then everything's up to date. (FYI: I have entire Google Doc pages with all my basic book info, AMS ad info, etc. I work from there.)

Thanks Harald. Gotcha.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2017, 06:30:57 PM »
I've had 96K impressions and 144 clicks. That's good, right? But the profit isn't there (or I just don't know what I'm doing). Can someone tell me if this is good or bad?

Thank you.

You've spent  $22 to get $4.95 in sales (or $3.46 in royalty if the book is at 70% royalty).

Unless you've picked up a ton of KU reads that don't report or you spent the whole $22 in the last couple of days and sales reporting hasn't caught up, it's not good.

You need to either massively lower your bids, tweak keywords to find the right audience, or there is a huge problem with your blurb/sample once they click through.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
Okay I opened up new campaigns on my books, doing the copy thing you guys told me about. I did it to put new blurbs in. So I have basically two sets of identical campaigns now. (I haven't paused or terminated any of the old campaigns yet.) I have added some keywords to the new campaigns but yeah, they're basically the same campaigns. I was thinking that it might be  wise to keep the first set of campaigns going so that they qualify for the $100 credit. (I don't actually know if pausing or terminating them would disqualify them for the credit.) So if I decided to keep these two basically identical sets of campaigns going simultaneously and I want AMS to use the newer set because of the new blurbs would reducing the bids (and deleting a lot of the keywords even) make AMS more likely to feature my campaigns that have the new blurbs?

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply. My book is in KU (PNR/UF) and the series has two more books (released). My avg rating is 4.0 with 54 reviews. I don't think the cover is the problem so I guess that leaves the ad text. I quoted a reviewer then added another really short sentence about the book. Looks like I have to change that. Thanks again. I'll definitely look for the suggestions you gave to Gregg.

I think that you likely have your answer right there. One sentence wouldn't cut it for me as a blurb and readers can go and look up your reviews if that's what they use as part of their buying process. Many will accept that with 54 reviews at an average 4 star it means that  it should be okay, so I'd do away with the review in the blurb.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 19, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »

Here are the terms so someone like me isn't eligible:

*Terms and Conditions of the Amazon Marketing Services $100 Click Credit Promotion.

For Amazon vendors that register for a new Amazon Marketing Services account from January 1st, 2017, through March 31st, 2017, Amazon will apply a promotional credit of $100 to that advertiser's Amazon Marketing Services account. Any unused promotional credit will expire 90 days following registration.

1. Advertisers must maintain an Amazon Marketing Services account in good standing with Amazon, subject to the terms of the Amazon Marketing Services Agreement.
2. Advertisers must provide a valid payment method to receive the promotional credit.
3. This offer and the promotional credit are non-transferable, not for resale, and not redeemable for cash.
4. This offer is void where prohibited and in the event of fraud, mistake, or any failure to satisfy any terms of the offer.
5. Amazon reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate or modify this offer at any time.
6. Limit one promotional credit per Amazon Marketing Services account.
8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.  Only NF titles under this name.

Offline Colin Bundschu

• Ithaca, NY
  • Physics Grad Student
    • View Profile
    • Writing Blog
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »

Huh. I don't see anything.

Also it looks like you are getting roughly 150 clicks per 100,000 views? That seems much lower than what I am getting. I just started, but I am getting about threefold the click rate:

Offline RobCornell

• Michigan
  • Are you the keymaster?
    • View Profile
    • robcornellbooks.com
« Reply #283 on: March 20, 2017, 03:23:18 AM »
Here are the terms so someone like me isn't eligible:

*Terms and Conditions of the Amazon Marketing Services $100 Click Credit Promotion.

For Amazon vendors that register for a new Amazon Marketing Services account from January 1st, 2017, through March 31st, 2017, Amazon will apply a promotional credit of $100 to that advertiser's Amazon Marketing Services account. Any unused promotional credit will expire 90 days following registration.

1. Advertisers must maintain an Amazon Marketing Services account in good standing with Amazon, subject to the terms of the Amazon Marketing Services Agreement.
2. Advertisers must provide a valid payment method to receive the promotional credit.
3. This offer and the promotional credit are non-transferable, not for resale, and not redeemable for cash.
4. This offer is void where prohibited and in the event of fraud, mistake, or any failure to satisfy any terms of the offer.
5. Amazon reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate or modify this offer at any time.
6. Limit one promotional credit per Amazon Marketing Services account.

Yeah, I got my credit. Told myself it was finally time to get into AMS. Let time slip by as I focused on other things (story of my life). And the dang credit expired. You snooze you lose, I guess. :P

Offline novelist11

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 20, 2017, 06:33:24 AM »
I didn't get the $100 credit either even though I signed up within the time frame. They told me it was only for select users. Who are these select users? The promotion is very misleading.

Also my ads would start showing data within a day after I started them but now I just started one and it isn't showing any data after three days. Anyone else having this problem? Something has changed and I don't know what it is.

Offline FlowerShift

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »
I didn't get the $100 credit either even though I signed up within the time frame. They told me it was only for select users. Who are these select users? The promotion is very misleading.

Also my ads would start showing data within a day after I started them but now I just started one and it isn't showing any data after three days. Anyone else having this problem? Something has changed and I don't know what it is.

I contacted them too and this is what they told me:

"Please note that this Click Credit promotion is only available to vendors and Amazon Advantage users are recognized as vendors, but not to KDP authors, unless they also have an Amazon Advantage account."

A credit would've been great :/

I started a couple of days ago and data is showing, although this data obviously isn't current or live.

Offline dorihoxa

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:19 AM »
You've spent  $22 to get $4.95 in sales (or $3.46 in royalty if the book is at 70% royalty).

Unless you've picked up a ton of KU reads that don't report or you spent the whole $22 in the last couple of days and sales reporting hasn't caught up, it's not good.

You need to either massively lower your bids, tweak keywords to find the right audience, or there is a huge problem with your blurb/sample once they click through.

Apparently  :( I've already changed the ad text and some
Keywords to see what happens. Guess I'll just keep tweaking until i get there. Thank you.

Offline Findaway

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:05 AM »

This happened to me too. I began a campaign 4 days ago (my first), and I haven't had a single impression. I added a lot of keywords, and almost all of my bids are 25-30 cents. I emailed support to verify that I'd set the campaign up correctly. Their response was that my keywords might not be relevant and/or my bids are too low. Wouldn't a lower bid at least place me at the end of the line?

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »

I started about twelve ads in the last few days experimenting with Mark Dawson's low-spend multiple ad approach and about half of them have impressions and half of them have nothing.  Sometimes an ad just doesn't run.  Try upping your keyword bids to see if that changes things.
8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.  Only NF titles under this name.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
This happened to me too. I began a campaign 4 days ago (my first), and I haven't had a single impression. I added a lot of keywords, and almost all of my bids are 25-30 cents. I emailed support to verify that I'd set the campaign up correctly. Their response was that my keywords might not be relevant and/or my bids are too low. Wouldn't a lower bid at least place me at the end of the line?

We cross-posted.  Depends on the word and your relevance.  I've had keywords related to authors who you'd think would have plenty of demand so plenty of opportunity for even low bids to hit their pages and have zero impressions.  Every once in a while Amazon just decides that a keyword is not a good fit for that particular book and you can't get on that page.  Or there are so many people using that keyword that a low bid will get you nowhere.

Offline APeter

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
Re: AMS Ads Learning--Question
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
I've been running AMS ads on and off since October. At the present, I have two sponsored ads running for two different books, but only one of the books is in KU. Yesterday, I observed something very unusual--at least for me. One of the words (a book title) on my keywords list for the KU book spiked overnight. It went from ~2,000 impressions to 37,000 impressions. I immediately thought of what I've heard some people refer to as click farms, and I paused the key word. But the clicks had remained at 4. And as of earlier today, they're still at 4.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? And any idea as to what caused it? I could contact Amazon help, but since I'm not out any money--nor are they--I doubt it would help.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:34 AM »
I've been running AMS ads on and off since October. At the present, I have two sponsored ads running for two different books, but only one of the books is in KU. Yesterday, I observed something very unusual--at least for me. One of the words (a book title) on my keywords list for the KU book spiked overnight. It went from ~2,000 impressions to 37,000 impressions. I immediately thought of what I've heard some people refer to as click farms, and I paused the key word. But the clicks had remained at 4. And as of earlier today, they're still at 4.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? And any idea as to what caused it? I could contact Amazon help, but since I'm not out any money--nor are they--I doubt it would help.

The fact that your impressions spiked isn't related to click farms.  That would be if your clicks per impression suddenly shot up, which I had happen once and am not sure what caused it but I shut it down.

Amazon controls the number of impressions you get.  Did you look to see if another book with a similar title to that keyword just released or perhaps was in the news or had a big promo hit?

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »

Have we considered the impact of Amazon running that $100 in clicks promo?

I'm wondering if a lot of new accounts on-boarded recently - and with the $100 in free clicks, a lot of people wouldn't be as worried about immediate ROI.

I've noticed a slow-down since the first of the year. I guess I'm wondering if it is the normal slow-down a lot of people here talk about over time or if the field has been particularly crowded lately. I know I haven't gotten as much initial spike on new campaigns I had come to expect, either.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
Have we considered the impact of Amazon running that $100 in clicks promo?

I'm wondering if a lot of new accounts on-boarded recently - and with the $100 in free clicks, a lot of people wouldn't be as worried about immediate ROI.

I've noticed a slow-down since the first of the year. I guess I'm wondering if it is the normal slow-down a lot of people here talk about over time or if the field has been particularly crowded lately. I know I haven't gotten as much initial spike on new campaigns I had come to expect, either.

Considering how restrictive the requirements are to qualify for the $100, I wouldn't be worried that the market will be flooded.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline APeter

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
The fact that your impressions spiked isn't related to click farms.  That would be if your clicks per impression suddenly shot up, which I had happen once and am not sure what caused it but I shut it down.

Amazon controls the number of impressions you get.  Did you look to see if another book with a similar title to that keyword just released or perhaps was in the news or had a big promo hit?

Thanks, Cassie.

I wasn't sure what it mean, and I was leery of offending the great Zon. :o

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
Huh. I don't see anything.

Also it looks like you are getting roughly 150 clicks per 100,000 views? That seems much lower than what I am getting. I just started, but I am getting about threefold the click rate:

Sorry, Colin, but I don't know what you're referring to by you see nothing.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
Wanting better blurbs I opened up a new set of campaigns on all five of my books in AMS. I opened the new campaigns just yesterday (3/20/17). So I now have two sets of campaigns running with nearly identical keywords. I would like AMS of course to feature the keywords with the new blurbs. To complicate things I'm starting to see some sales on the old set of campaigns. When I set up the new campaigns my initial reaction was to terminate the first set entirely but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea. Of course I can keep both sets running but if I want the new set featured should I increase the bids there and reduce the bids on the old set of campaigns? Any suggestions?

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
Re: AMS Ads Learning--Question
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »

Yeah, I had 50,000 impressions on one keyword very quickly. Saying that, the keyword was for a new release that ended up a best seller and at the time I was one of three on the 1st page. Like you I didn't get many clicks as I guessed everyone was landing on the page to buy their book. I left it alone as the only ones with control over impressions is Amazon, and if they saw fit to put me on there 50,000 times, who am I to complain when it is what we are trying to acheive. I can understand your concern at the time though as I was initially concerned. We just came to a different conclusion. It soon dropped after everyone piled into it as a keyword, now I can't get on any of the damned pages.

After that I've stalked new releases that I thought would take off and I noticed something weird. Sometimes they would only have three books on the first page for around a week and yet I couldn't get on the page, so gave up after that with new releases

I would worry about it if it were clicks. I've often thought that it could be open to abuse if someone had an axe to grind against the author. Not in the sense that the clicks would gain an advantage to the author, on the contrary, it could end up costing the author a fortune. I just hope that if that happened then Amazon would have the data to find the culprit and give a credit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:42:29 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline APeter

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
Yeah, I had 50,000 impressions on one keyword very quickly. Saying that, the keyword was for a new release that ended up a best seller and at the time I was one of three on the 1st page. Like you I didn't get many clicks as I guessed everyone was landing on the page to buy their book. I left it alone as the only ones with control over impressions is Amazon, and if they saw fit to put me on there 50,000 times, who am I to complain when it is what we are trying to acheive. I can understand your concern at the time though as I was initially concerned. We just came to a different conclusion. It soon dropped after everyone piled into it as a keyword, now I can't get on any of the damned pages.

After that I've stalked new releases that I thought would take off and I noticed something weird. Sometimes they would only have three books on the first page for around a week and yet I couldn't get on the page, so gave up after that with new releases

I would worry about it if it were clicks. I've often thought that it could be open to abuse if someone had an axe to grind against the author. Not in the sense that the clicks would gain an advantage to the author, on the contrary, it could end up costing the author a fortune. I just hope that if that happened then Amazon would have the data to find the culprit and give a credit.

I still find it amazing that I could pick up 35K impressions without collecting even one click. It wasn't a new book either, so maybe the author ran a promo.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
I don't know if there's anything to learn here but this is a recent improvement for me this past week. If there's any method to the madness, I'm not seeing it but I'll share it if it'll help anyone, and if anyone can figure out what caused the improvement, all the better.

I've been running my campaigns since August. Up until 3 weeks ago, I had 2 campaigns running on the same book. One I target books and authors that are right on genre, the other are cross-over genres. I did this primarily to not use up the 1000 KW spaces, and to have one campaign that is more laser focus. The Main On target campaign, I set spend limit at $6, and the other one $2. 3 weeks ago I started a third campaign with $1 spend limit. My goal was to move all the KWs from the Main Campaign for books that rank in in pit bottoms to what I'll call the Secondary Genre Targetted campaign. So I got this:

1. Main Genre Targetted Campaign -- Books that sell well, rank at least below 100K at $6 spend limit
2. X-genre Campaign -- not directly on genre but good possibility of interesting some readers, at $2 spend limit
3. Secondary Genre Targetted Campaign -- Same genre books that rank 200+K to Millions, at $1 spend limit.

For the Secondary Campaign, I figured that I could get my book visibility in case of a strand reader here and there, but it wouldn't cost me anything because the click rates would be low, due to low traffic to those pages.

Things went well for months but for inexplicable reason, sales began to decline. I periodically tweak KWs, upping or lowering prices depending on the Sponsored Ads situation on the KWs books; also adding new KWs. For some reason, sales were still kind of falling. Not dire, but falling.

Then last Thursday, I ran a 99c ENT promo which jumped my sales. During the ENT promo, I paused all the ads. When the ENT promo was over, I only restarted the Main Genre Targetted Campaign, but this time upping the spend limit to $10.

Why I did this? I have an author friend in the exact same genre. Our results should be very similar, but I noticed that she was able to keep her sales high. I know she put in a higher spend limit than I do (I'm pretty sure it's $10), so I wanted to experiment a bit. She said all she does are AMS ads and tweet, and I take her word for it.

Since then, I've been able to maintain the sales in the low 5 digits. (Ok that might be considered failure to some of you but for my genre and what I do, that's pretty good.) In any case, the point is, the changes of upping the spend limit and runing only one campaign appear to be helping. At first I attributed it to being an ENT tail, but I'm not so sure about that. ENT was great, but my last few promos didn't give me a sticky tail like this. I think what ENT did was that it sparked the algorithm, and from there on, with the combination of the changes in my campaign, sales for now are sticking. In fact, slightly higher than my best AMS ads performance before all this happens.

I feel a bit worried that I left all the KWS from the Secondary Campaign and X-genre Campaign un-used. But things are working for now so why fix what's not broken.

I don't know what to make of this but thought I'd share anyway. I just listened to Mark Dawson's podcast on AMS ads. He's recommending the "brute force" option, which is to keep the spend limit low ($1) on each campaign and run many campaigns. His reason for it is that Amazon refuses to spend all your money when you set a high spend limit (and that is true). But I think I'd have to disagree with him there. My own observation is that Amazon only show your ad to a small audience when your spend limit is $1. And this is something I observed even back in Sept, before I upped the spend limit to $6. I have hunch that Amazon show your ad to more pages when you have a higher spend limit, and the best thing is, they won't use up your spend limit anyway so you don't actually spend $10/day.  That said, if your budget doesn't allow a potential $10/day, it can be iffy and scary.

My conclusion at this point: it's all voodoo.