Author Topic: AMS Ads Learning  (Read 89731 times)  

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
Re: AMS Ads Learning
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2017, 08:41:46 AM »
That sounds interesting, Harald.  How would it work?  Would the thumbnail sponsored product ad show all three books like it appears on left of the series page?

Hi Philip! Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Have not seen it done yet. Here is the actual KDP Support message about this:

Hello Harald,
I apologize for the long wait.
I have received confirmation from our AMS team that you can advertise the series page (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/XXXXXXX) using the ads service.
Please make sure that the series meets "creative acceptance policies". Below I have included the link to the creative policy :
https://advertising.amazon.com/ad-specs/en/policy/KDP-acceptance
Thank you for your time and for using Amazon KDP. blah blah...

So I guess it's you or me who are going to pioneer and find out! :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:07:22 AM by Harald »

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.
Website | FacebookBook Cover Reviews discussion group

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »
BVLawson-- Re your problem of maxing out early every morning: I would recommend that you go to your keywords list and check that the amount of money you bid is actually the amount of money each keyword is listed for.

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
Hi Philip! Yeah, I've wondering the same thing. Have not seen it done yet. Here is the actual KDP Support message about this:

Hello Harald,
I have received confirmation from our AMS team that you can advertise the series page (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/XXXXXXX) using the ads service.
Please make sure that the series meets "creative acceptance policies". Below I have included the link to the creative policy :
https://advertising.amazon.com/ad-specs/en/policy/KDP-acceptance
Thank you for your time and for using Amazon KDP. blah blah...

So I guess it's you or me who are going to pioneer and find out! :)

Interesting. Since I paused the one ad that was stalled, maybe I'll do a series page for all three of those books. Maybe I'll even beat you and Philip to it.  8)

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Interesting. Since I paused the one ad that was stalled, maybe I'll do a series page for all three of those books. Maybe I'll even beat you and Philip to it.  8)

Go for it, Gertie! You be the canary.

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
Go for it, Gertie! You be the canary.

I don't know if you really want me to be the canary. I never could sing worth a darn.  :D

Anyway, I'm having a problem selecting the trilogy. I've got the right asin #, but it doesn't show up on my list. I'll keep at it.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Nope, the series won't come up when I enter the ASIN. You can see the series in my sig, second from last, so it's there. I've tried entering the series name, too. No dice. Great idea, though. Let me know if you have better luck, 'cause this canary died.

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Nope, the series won't come up when I enter the ASIN. You can see the series in my sig, second from last, so it's there. I've tried entering the series name, too. No dice. Great idea, though. Let me know if you have better luck, 'cause this canary died.

Hmmm... OK, Philip, you're up! (no time for me at the moment).

Thanks for the try and report, Gertie. We'll get to the bottom of this eventually.

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
  • Thriller and short story author
    • View Profile
    • author website for Edward G. Talbot
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
The series ads are intriguing - I just tried and the AMS campaign creation won't find my series when I search by either the series ASIN or the series name. Harald,  did you have to request them to make it available to you? I know that the only books which appear as options for me to advertise are ones I have published in Amazon KDP - i have books I co-authored but didn't publish myself, books with a small publisher, and kindle world books which do not appear as options for me to advertise.
Edward G. Talbot thrillers: Sometimes, everyone IS out to get you.

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
The series ads are intriguing - I just tried and the AMS campaign creation won't find my series when I search by either the series ASIN or the series name. Harald,  did you have to request them to make it available to you? I know that the only books which appear as options for me to advertise are ones I have published in Amazon KDP - i have books I co-authored but didn't publish myself, books with a small publisher, and kindle world books which do not appear as options for me to advertise.

Hi Edward. Here's what I asked KDP Support and what they answered. But I haven't tried it yet. Apparently it's more difficult than they say. I would suggest sending a message to them asking them what's up with this. Then let us know!

ME TO KDP on January 1:
... But here's a related question: Can I advertise (via AMS) my growing book SERIES?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/XXXXX
The series has its own page, it's own purchase button, and therefore, its own SKU on Amazon. And I can find no prohibition against doing this in the Advertising Policies. And I could use a single book cover as the image. ***Q: Is this possible (to advertise a series vs. a single book)? Thanks.

KDP TO ME on Jan 30:
Hello Harald,
I have received confirmation from our AMS team that you can advertise the series page (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/XXXXX) using the ads service.
https://advertising.amazon.com/ad-specs/en/policy/KDP-acceptance.
Thank you for your time and for using Amazon KDP.
Regards... Kindle Direct Publishing

***3/8 UPDATE***
Amazon says: no dice on doing a Series AMS ad. Sad!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:18:22 PM by Harald »

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
I'll let you know if I contact them, what they say. Sounds they said you can but haven't told us HOW to do so :)

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2017, 07:08:13 AM »

This canary died too.  May need someone with more brain than this bird.

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2017, 07:16:46 AM »
Have you tried the display ad type--the one where you provide a visual a la Facebook ads?

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
This canary died too.  May need someone with more brain than this bird.

Philip

I'm thinking with the new display of the full series at the top of the product page, we might not need to do a series ad. And I've had a few times lately where all four books were bought at once.

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
I'm thinking with the new display of the full series at the top of the product page, we might not need to do a series ad. And I've had a few times lately where all four books were bought at once.
I only have two books in the series and I have also had at least three times in the past month where both were bought at what seems like the same time due to ads. Time to get that third book out right quick ;)

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
I only have two books in the series and I have also had at least three times in the past month where both were bought at what seems like the same time due to ads. Time to get that third book out right quick ;)

Sounds like a plan.

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
***NEWS ALERT!***

Well, I just got off the phone with KDP Support (Costa Rica), and they said "No, Seor, you cannot do an AMS ad for a Series; single books only." When I pointed out their email saying the opposite, they apologized profusely.

Oh well, with the new positioning of Series at the top now, as Gertie says above, the idea is probably less important. But I had a great series blurb ready!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:59:24 PM by Harald »

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
***NEWS ALERT!***

Well, I just got off the phone with KDP Support (Costa Rica), and they said "No, Seor, you cannot do an AMS ad for a Series; single books only." When I pointed out their email saying the opposite, they apologized profusely.
Thanks for sharing the info!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
***NEWS ALERT!***

Oh well, with the new positioning of Series at the top now, as Gertie says above, the idea is probably less important. But I had a great series blurb ready!

And we killed off two canaries for no reason. Oh, well.

Yes, I had a killer ad for the series, too. Isn't it always the way? Maybe I'll use it on Twitter.

Offline SC

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
I have an AMS 'sponsored products' ad that started on the 7th. I only have about 56 keywords, most at 6 cents with some at 10, $1/day budget. As of right now, it's showing zero impressions. Not a single one. That seems really strange at this point, doesn't it?

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
I have an AMS 'sponsored products' ad that started on the 7th. I only have about 56 keywords, most at 6 cents with some at 10, $1/day budget. As of right now, it's showing zero impressions. Not a single one. That seems really strange at this point, doesn't it?

There are a number of variables, but I'd say right off that the 6 cent bid is probably too low. My suggestion is to try an increase to 15 cents for a day to see if it makes a difference. If no impressions come after that, you might have to terminate the campaign and start a new one because the AMS performance algorithms might have slowed/stopped your current campaign.     

Offline Christopher Bunn

• California, USA
  • Yes, Virginia, there is a monster under your bed.
    • View Profile
    • Scribbles & Tunes
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
This thread is highly educational. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Has anyone tried using copy on an AMS ad that really has nothing to do with the book? Odd things like "Wow!" or "You'll always sleep again" etc. Basically, almost random text just to get a person to click?

I realize the potential downside is that the copy will be a complete disconnect to the book page, once the person has clicked through. But, the cover image in the ad would, of course, provide a visual connection between the ad and the book page...

Offline Aderyn Wood

• View Profile
    • Aderyn Wood - Blog
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
I'm curious about the ideal number of keywords we should aim for. I've heard conflicting opinions about it. Some say to get to 1000, others say to keep the number small. Any thoughts on this?

Aderyn Wood | Blog | Twitter

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
I'm curious about the ideal number of keywords we should aim for.

Kidding, of course.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »

Kidding, of course.
I was thinking 42 :)

I have heard success stories with two different methods. One is blanketing with as many keywords as possible so close to 1000. Another is starting with a large number like that but then gradually raising/lowering bids and disabling keywords based on performance - performance in this case being largely based on impressions and clicks not so much on ACoS/estimated sales other than for significant enough spends without results that you can be sure you're not killing a winner.

Offline Aderyn Wood

• View Profile
    • Aderyn Wood - Blog
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
I was thinking 42 :)

I have heard success stories with two different methods. One is blanketing with as many keywords as possible so close to 1000. Another is starting with a large number like that but then gradually raising/lowering bids and disabling keywords based on performance - performance in this case being largely based on impressions and clicks not so much on ACoS/estimated sales other than for significant enough spends without results that you can be sure you're not killing a winner.

Thanks for that.

I'm trialling 2 identical ads. One I'll get to 1000 keywords. The other will use the keywords that get sales, high clicks and impressions from the first ad, and maybe no more than 100 keywords in total. Or maybe 42 😉

Aderyn Wood | Blog | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac