Author Topic: What does the title "Hidden" mean to you? (Any Genre Author)  (Read 798 times)  

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
  • Reader, Book Blogger & Author
    • View Profile
    • http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk
What does the title "Hidden" mean to you? (Any Genre Author)
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:34:56 AM »
"Hidden"

So, a few of us have come up with the idea for a project that we think would be fun, and were wondering if anyone else wanted to take part.

Each author taking part would write their own story (between 5,000 and 20,000 words) with the title "Hidden". Each author would have complete control over their final work, which would be listed as a series but published individually. Genre is completely up to the individual author!

The hope is that this can be a bit of fun, as well as a bit of a writing challenge! With the added bonus of some easy cross-promotion!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main aim of this is to have a bit of fun, and provide a bit of a writing challenge! I'd hope that there was an added advantage of some easy cross promotion. Your version of "Hidden" can tie into another one of your series. Or it could be a completely new genre for you! As everyone will publish separately, it should mean that each author can keep control of their own work, and it'll be easier for them to cross-promote in their own genre!
Releases will ideally start in October/November time!
What YOU control:
- Genre
- Cover
- Price
- Distribution (including KU or not!)
- Release Date (within reason! We do want them released fairly close together in an effort to maximise cross promotion!)
Rules:
- Your book MUST have the title "Hidden"
- You need to include the blurbs of the other books in the "Hidden" Series
- Between 5,000 and 20,000 words

Facebook group for the project can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1533593246670156/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: changed title of the thread and added a link to the FB group!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:42:19 PM by lauramg_1406 »

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
Re: What Does This Title Mean to You?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
I'm in!

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:52:10 AM »
Very interesting. I'm interested.
PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 99%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
intertesting

add more details when you agree on them, please

Floyd Looney

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »
intertesting

add more details when you agree on them, please

Absolutely! What else would you want to know? (Just to make sure we cover all the bases!)

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
Re: What does the title "Hidden" mean to you?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
Updated the top post to reflect the aims and "rules" (they're not very strict!) a bit better, as well as adding the link to the FB group!

It's the same as this:
The main aim of this is to have a bit of fun, and provide a bit of a writing challenge! I'd hope that there was an added advantage of some easy cross promotion. Your version of "Hidden" can tie into another one of your series. Or it could be a completely new genre for you! As everyone will publish separately, it should mean that each author can keep control of their own work, and it'll be easier for them to cross-promote in their own genre!
Releases will ideally start in October/November time!
What YOU control:
- Genre
- Cover
- Price
- Distribution (including KU or not!)
- Release Date (within reason! We do want them released fairly close together in an effort to maximise cross promotion!)
Rules:
- Your book MUST have the title "Hidden"
- You need to include the blurbs of the other books in the "Hidden" Series
- Between 5,000 and 20,000 words

Facebook group for the project can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1533593246670156/

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Interested.
Presumably there'd be a website for the series?
I don't think amazon allows series with different kdp accounts, not sure about the other sites.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Interested.
Presumably there'd be a website for the series?
I don't think amazon allows series with different kdp accounts, not sure about the other sites.

Yes there will be!

A way around that could be an Author Central account (not under anyone's name) which could be listed as a co-author on the books)

They could certainly be listed as a series on Goodreads...not sure about the others, but I'll do some investigating on that one.

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
Re: What does the title "Hidden" mean to you? (Open Writing Project)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
"- Your book MUST have the title "Hidden" "

Just so I know if I got this: The title has to be "Hidden" and nothing else, not "Hidden Power", or "Hidden Gems", or "Hidden Neon Minotaur", just "Hidden", right? Can it have a subtitle?
I'm asking because I try to imagine how this would be presented to potential readers without confusing them to much.

I'm very intrigued, though, and am brainstorming ideas on that title.
All Hail the King series: 4%

How the Rain Gets In: 21%
English Blog | German Blog

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
Re: What does the title "Hidden" mean to you? (Any Genre Author)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
"- Your book MUST have the title "Hidden" "

Just so I know if I got this: The title has to be "Hidden" and nothing else, not "Hidden Power", or "Hidden Gems", or "Hidden Neon Minotaur", just "Hidden", right? Can it have a subtitle?
I'm asking because I try to imagine how this would be presented to potential readers without confusing them to much.

I'm very intrigued, though, and am brainstorming ideas on that title.
Yes the title itself would just be "Hidden" but a subtitle to that would be fine. The concept is that we all start with the one word, but each author's take would be completely different. Even two fantasy authors would create two completely different stories.

Effectively, what is produced is a standalone (or linked to one of the author's existing series.

Other than that, the books will be linked by a website (which would explain the concept) and the back matter.

I imagine that the back matter would work like this:
Author's normal back matter (thanks, these are my books, this is my newsletter type things).
Brief explanation of the concept.
Blurbs of other "Hidden" books (with genre clearly stated)

As we would each retain control over our own work, we'd be responsible for our own branding/key words etc, which should allow it to be a valid standalone sellable work too. Just with the added  bonus of other authors pointing readers you might not have reached yet through back matter and the website.

But ultimately, it's a bit of fun and a writing exercise, just with the potential for a product at the end of it!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Online Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »
What kind of time frame for publishing a completed work?

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
What kind of time frame for publishing a completed work?
We'd aim to have the first one out in October/November, but theoretically it could be an ongoing project if enough people came aboard and/or joined later!

We don't want to risk sabotaging anyone's writing schedule for the year, so later seemed better (also why the ideal word count is on the smaller side, if someone wants to slip it in as a side project when they need a break!)

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:13:38 AM »
A way around that could be an Author Central account (not under anyone's name) which could be listed as a co-author on the books)

It's going to have to be under someone's name/account. Even if this is a supposed "co-author", someone is going to have to open the Author Central account.

As to the question in the thread title, it doesn't mean much to me. I can imagine there are already loads of books with this as a complete or partial title, so that should be taken into account.

Rather than calling it a series, why not promote this as a "shared" world or concept sort of thing, since I wouldn't consider all sorts of different books by different authors as a series just because they had the same title. This would also eliminate the need to deal with Author Central, since each would be claiming their own book.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »
It's going to have to be under someone's name/account. Even if this is a supposed "co-author", someone is going to have to open the Author Central account.

As to the question in the thread title, it doesn't mean much to me. I can imagine there are already loads of books with this as a complete or partial title, so that should be taken into account.

Rather than calling it a series, why not promote this as a "shared" world or concept sort of thing, since I wouldn't consider all sorts of different books by different authors as a series just because they had the same title. This would also eliminate the need to deal with Author Central, since each would be claiming their own book.

The idea is that each person would claim their own book anyway, but the shared concept idea is definitely a good one! Thank you!

We did consider that about the title when we were deciding on one, but we needed one that wasn't overly genre specific. And with that being the case, there are likely always going to be loads of books with that title. Unless we went with something like gobbledygook which would kind of defeat the point! 

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 09:05:50 AM »
I had a question on the fb group about whether it can tie in with another book or series and the answer is; Yes!

This project is meant as a writing prompt/bit of fun, but at the end each author would have their own book to do with what they want with!

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
First, this is still open if anyone is interested in writing a short story/novellette/novella with the title "Hidden" to be part of this. The goal is to publish this series in Fall.

I'm forming a cabin for April's Camp Nano that I'll be working on this project. If you're interested, send me your camp NaNo username and I'll add you in.

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
If you're interested in the "Hidden" project, you can join our Camp NaNo Cabin! Just leave a message via this link here (http://nanowrimo.org/forums/finding-cabin-buddies/threads/408773) or tell us your username and we can add you!

Offline ShesGotBooks

• Washington State
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
I would love to do this!

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
I would love to do this!
We'd love to have you!  (Did you send a request for the FB group? :-) )