KB Featured Book
The Stone Thread: Second Chronicle
by J. Evangelisti

$ 1.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 602621

Product Description
This is a harrowing tale of survival in a post-apocalyptic dystopia.
What was once New York City in the past has become a new and protected home in 3000 AD for the survivors of this world but with a cost. Impossible rules are made to follow and without question. Citizens cannot leave the protected bubble that surrounds New York City as the world outside is unfit for human survival.
Tough law Enforcement Officer Cryton, a detective first class, struggles to survive each day and trusts no one. Cryton is brought in to solve a mystery by the organization that controls the city. He will meet Marsha, a woman with many secrets, whose secrets Cryton must unravel to solve a mystery that will destroy the inhabitants of the city. Marsha is a femme fatale, an attractive and seductive woman, who ultimately could bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her.
This story will appeal to readers of suspenseful thrillers. The mysteries within the...

Author Topic: How do I get them to stop sending me some book recommends emails?  (Read 294 times)  

Online TimothyEllis

• Gaia System - Unknown galaxy.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Before xmas I did some book gifting, which seems to have had an unintended consequence.

I'm now getting emails recommending me books in genres I'm not in the slightest bit interested in. Like in gifting enough books in certain genres, it triggered them to think I was interested in this myself.

How do I get Amazon to stop sending me emails outside the genres I am interested in?

All I can find at the moment is turning it completely off, which I dont want to do.

Anyone know?

Offline broski

• View Profile
    • Mp3 Download
Re: How do I get them to stop sending me some book recommends emails?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 05:49:56 AM »
Just unsubscribe!

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:40:03 AM »
Broski, thanks--but Tim doesn't want to unsubscribe from book recommendations.  He just wants them to be based on his actual interests.

Tim, pretty sure you can go through the books that Amazon is using to tailor your recommendations and purge the ones that taint the recommendations; Ann has talked about this.  I'll see if I can figure out where you do this.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Snowlek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »
Broski, thanks--but Tim doesn't want to unsubscribe from book recommendations.  He just wants them to be based on his actual interests.

Tim, pretty sure you can go through the books that Amazon is using to tailor your recommendations and purge the ones that taint the recommendations; Ann has talked about this.  I'll see if I can figure out where you do this.

Betsy

When I go to Amazon, I can scroll way down the page and see a side scrolling list of 'recent browsing history'. I periodically purge that of things that I'm not really interested in . . . it includes both books and other stuff you've looked at.

There's also a place somewhere through "My Account" to specify what newsletters you want and what you don't. Also, each post you get has an 'unsubscribe' so if it's a genre specific one that should make it stop.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
When I go to Amazon, I can scroll way down the page and see a side scrolling list of 'recent browsing history'. I periodically purge that of things that I'm not really interested in . . . it includes both books and other stuff you've looked at.

There's also a place somewhere through "My Account" to specify what newsletters you want and what you don't. Also, each post you get has an 'unsubscribe' so if it's a genre specific one that should make it stop.

I see it. There's a place where you can click to "view or edit your browsing history." Thanks, Ann. Good tip.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Online TimothyEllis

• View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
I see it. There's a place where you can click to "view or edit your browsing history." Thanks, Ann. Good tip.

Now I'm not sure it was the problem. I found a few books to delete, but not many, and only 2 in the offending genre.

Oh well, tidied it up, so will see if I still get the emails.

Thanks everyone.  ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Snowlek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 03:53:08 AM »
Now I'm not sure it was the problem. I found a few books to delete, but not many, and only 2 in the offending genre.

Oh well, tidied it up, so will see if I still get the emails.

Thanks everyone.  ;D

Other thing to try:

Go to Your Account and scroll down to Message Center. On the US site, there are a couple of links on the right side of that section that you can tweak. The Email Preferences and Notifications is pretty basic -- email or not and what address.

The other one, Amazon Delivers Email Subscriptions, has a whole list of genres, products, etc. for which there are newsletters. You can decide which ones you want to subscribe to. I think that these are sometimes turned on automatically when you buy something, which is why you may not remember subscribing to them. But any listed there are ones you ARE subscribed to and can turn off.

Down below that list is a link to browse all available subscriptions, so you can turn on others you might want instead.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online TimothyEllis

• View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:02:11 AM »
Thanks. Lot of stuff there ticked I'd never heard of.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Snowlek
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 04:06:37 AM »
Thanks. Lot of stuff there ticked I'd never heard of.

:D

Yeah, as I said, a lot gets turned on automatically . . . . .you can unsubscribe via each email, but this way you know what exactly you're unsubscribing to. I like, also, that they let you know how often various things get sent.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)