Author Topic: New OASIS better than older Oasis.  (Read 1562 times)  

Offline INFINUS

• India
  • Follow The Sound Radiated From Light
    • View Profile
New OASIS better than older Oasis.
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:49:10 PM »

Story so Far ...
Ive purchased new Kindle Oasis on 2nd January 2017. Im not very technical person and doesnt have knack for spotting subtleties on electronic devices. Once the oasis have arrived Ive done all the basic check as suggested by KBoard.

I was happy using it until my fried arrived and pointed out the anomalies in oasis. Ive talked to Amazon help desk and they send me new device.

New Oasis arrived ...
New device has very different build quality. Cover is very soft, grainy, leathery like and much thicker than old one. Oasis is very white and light is evenly spread across screen. Screen is full flat and even. Buttons click with tactile feel.

I wonder ...
I wonder if Amazon sells different quality of devices? Share your experience.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: New OASIS better than older Oasis.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:56 AM »
Story so Far ...
Ive purchased new Kindle Oasis on 2nd January 2017. Im not very technical person and doesnt have knack for spotting subtleties on electronic devices. Once the oasis have arrived Ive done all the basic check as suggested by KBoard.

I was happy using it until my fried arrived and pointed out the anomalies in oasis. Ive talked to Amazon help desk and they send me new device.

New Oasis arrived ...
New device has very different build quality. Cover is very soft, grainy, leathery like and much thicker than old one. Oasis is very white and light is evenly spread across screen. Screen is full flat and even. Buttons click with tactile feel.

I wonder ...

I'm confused by your question. The new one is fine, right? So, is there a problem? If there is, tell Amazon; if not, be happy! :) And don't worry about whether anyone else does or doesn't have a problem as their problem isn't yours. :D

Practically speaking, EVERY MANUFACTURER sells different quality devices. They may not mean too, but it is cost prohibitive, in most cases, to inspect EVERY unit for 100% consistency. If that's what you want, you need to buy only handmade items made by a master craftsman. Which is not really going to happen with technology. ::)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:45:25 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »

I'm with Ann in that I doubt they do it deliberately, but it's probable that different runs of covers are slightly different, and from posts here it's obvious screens can be different. If I'm remembering right that you're the Oasis buyer who reported a defective raised bezel, that's was just plain a manufacturing defect.

Good for you in sending the defective one back and getting one that pleases.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
Interesting. Could you take pictures of the two devices and post pics of what you see as different? My experience through the years is that the models device to device are very similarly made and consistent.
Stanley
=====
HTC One (rooted Lollipop), Nexus 7 (rooted Lollipop)
Ipad Air (rooted), Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Kobo HD Glo, Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline isamilis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:27:03 AM »
Just want to share. I bought Oasis cover (Walnut color) and just delivered this afternoon. My original cover is black. Comparing them side by side, I found the new one is thicker and more weight compared to the black one. The leather is different (which I already predict), the walnut is like silky, while the black one is black dove. The weight difference is quite noticeable, you can feel it right away the difference when you pick up the kindle with the cover attached.

Not sure whether this is normal difference between black and walnut, or possibly Amazon improved their QA.

Offline Daisy1960

• Baltimore, Maryland
  • BUNNIES RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »
Hi, isamilis,

I believe the black and merlot covers are a standard leather grain, and the walnut cover is a sueded leather, which might explain the differences you noticed.
Susanjane Elizabeth
Proud parent of "Jennie" (Kindle Oasis 3G/WiFi)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 05:41:40 PM »
yes, the black and merlot are smooth leather. I have the walnut and its kind of fuzzy. Not sure how to describe it. One does notice the marks on it. But once I gave up trying to "fix" those, it just kind of ages and they kind of go away on their own.

So walnut is not the smooth leather, brushed. Maybe that is the right term, its brushed leather. You see the direction you rub the fibers in. A bit at least. Its quite nice. I have had mine since May now and it still is in pretty good shape. Aged for sure. Probably easier to wipe the smooth leather. Have to be a bit kinder to the walnut.  ;D

Glad the OP got a good replacement. There was another thread where the issues were things like the surface not being glued down well. So that is not a usual thing. Glad it worked out in the end as it should be.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
So let me get this right, Amazon have actually been listening to people's complaints and have improved the Oasis, hence the OP getting the 'new version' instead of the 'old version' as a replacement to a faulty one?

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
So let me get this right, Amazon have actually been listening to people's complaints and have improved the Oasis, hence the OP getting the 'new version' instead of the 'old version' as a replacement to a faulty one?
Their first Oasis had a defect. There is a thread about it. The top layer was not glued down properly, so it could be pressed in. So now they got a Oasis that is fine, like the one I and many others got from the get go. I haven't heard anything about about improved. My Oasis, which was one of the earliest ones is fine as it is. Nothing wrong with it.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
Atunah, so this part of the OP's post:

'New Oasis arrived ...
New device has very different build quality. Cover is very soft, grainy, leathery like and much thicker than old one. Oasis is very white and light is evenly spread across screen. Screen is full flat and even. Buttons click with tactile feel.'

You are saying that this replacement for the faulty one IS EXACTLY the same as the one that needed replacing (besides the actual faults) AND IS EXACTLY the same as everyone else's from day one?

That's not how I read it, the OP is saying that the build quality of the replacement IS BETTER than the one it replaced. As in Amazon have asked for thicker leather, they have asked for the lighting to be changed to appear the same over the whole screen, etc.

OR is it just that the OP is delusional and BELIEVES it's different when it isn't? LOL :D

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:57:08 AM »
Atunah, so this part of the OP's post:

'New Oasis arrived ...
New device has very different build quality. Cover is very soft, grainy, leathery like and much thicker than old one. Oasis is very white and light is evenly spread across screen. Screen is full flat and even. Buttons click with tactile feel.'

You are saying that this replacement for the faulty one IS EXACTLY the same as the one that needed replacing (besides the actual faults) AND IS EXACTLY the same as everyone else's from day one?

That's not how I read it, the OP is saying that the build quality of the replacement IS BETTER than the one it replaced. As in Amazon have asked for thicker leather, they have asked for the lighting to be changed to appear the same over the whole screen, etc.

OR is it just that the OP is delusional and BELIEVES it's different when it isn't? LOL :D

The OP is not delusional: his IS different/better because the first one he got was a faulty device. There were obvious defects so, of course, his perception is that the replacement one he received is superior. Faulty devices will fall through the cracks of pretty much any quality control system -- except maybe one that checks 100% of devices. (Which system would probably make the device unreasonably expensive!)

That doesn't mean that every Oasis in the first bunch shipped are substandard or that there was an unusually high number of faulty devices and that Amazon has 'fixed' something in the manufacturing process -- though it is completely possible that if a given supplier of some part was shipping an unacceptable number of faulty parts that they've been replaced with another supplier. That happens routinely in all sorts of manufacturing and, in most cases, the public never hears about it.

Many of us got one of the first ones and have had no problems. The screens are bright and clear, lighting is even, the leather is of satisfactory quality, and the case is well constructed. A few -- the OP among them -- have found defects or had software issues and Amazon has replaced them under warranty.

That said, it's been some months since the Oasis was originally released. It's certainly possible that, though the components are the same, there are, perhaps, different manufacturers making things. Specifically, the cover is leather -- it can vary widely as all cows are not identical and even identical curing processes can produce a different finish. It's quite possible that the latest batch of covers come from a different manufacturing lot.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR