KB Featured Book
Murder in Seattle
by Dianne Harman

$ 0.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 445

Product Description
From USA TODAY bestselling author and seven time Amazon All Star author, another page-turning cozy murder mystery!

What would you do if your sister's husband of twelve hours, Clark, was considered a suspect by the police in connection with his rich Uncle Vinny's murder? And the rich uncle just happened to be a member of the Mob?

DeeDee has no choice but to enlist the help of her boyfriend Jake, a private investigator, as well as Al, Uncle Vinny's scary bodyguard, to help her find the murderer and clear Clark's name.

It could have been a number of people, but which one? Was it Uncle Vinny's cousin or his wife? Uncle Vinny had a lot of money, and although he hadn't come by it legally, the color was still green. Or the rogue cop whose father had ended the prostitution rings in Seattle, but was certain Uncle Vinny was the person who had resurrected them. Or perhaps Clark'...

Author Topic: Amazon Tap firmware update rolling out - will no longer need to tap  (Read 719 times)  

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
I've started seeing reports about a Tap firmware update being rolled out over the next few weeks. Here's a link to the story on CNET, which I've generally found to be a reliable source.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-hands-free-mode-on-the-amazon-tap/

The update will allow the Tap to be used like the Echo or Dot, by saying the wake up word instead of needing to tap. The change is optional for the user, and can be enabled in the Settings area of the Alexa app. If it is enabled, there will also be the option to mute the microphone. There will be some loss of battery life, but the estimate I saw was a change from 9 hours to 8 hours. Not too bad if that's correct.

I really like the portability of the Tap. I haven't really minded having to tap to use it, but I'll probably enable the voice control and try it once it updates.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
Re: Amazon Tap firmware update rolling out - will no longer need to tap
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
That's cool!

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
I got the update today and activated the voice control. It's a simple on-off button in the settings area of the Alexa app. Only "Alexa" can be used as the wake up word. When voice control is activated, you can still use the Tap button the usual way, without saying the wake up word. In the list of devices in the app, it shows "Online, Hands-Free mode" under the device name. If I turn the button off again, it shows "Online, Tap to Talk Mode."

One thing I'm surprised about is that I haven't received any notification from Amazon about the change - no emails, and nothing posted on the app home page. I only knew about this from the news stories I came across. I happened to notice the change when I went to the app settings to edit my flash news briefing preferences.

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
  • 2015 Paperwhite | Kindle Keyboard 3G | Fire HD6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
My Tap upgrade came this morning, and I enabled voice control in the Alexa app. Love it!

One thing I'm surprised about is that I haven't received any notification from Amazon about the change - no emails, and nothing posted on the app home page.

Me too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:48:12 PM by DreamWeaver »

golf
suspense
adventure
| Paperbacks | (golf books also available at Barnes & Noble, iBooks & Kobo)
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL --> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
I'm so happy they added hands free option. I have an Echo Dot that was connected to my Tap via Bluetooth so I could control it hands free (the Tap is the only small bluetooth speaker that uses a charging cradle, instead of just a cord) Now that the Tap can be used hands free I can sell my Echo Dot.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:52:43 AM »
I got the email from Amazon yesterday:

==========================================
AMAZON TAP
==========================================

Introducing hands-free mode

Now you can voice-control your Amazon Tap without pushing the microphone button. Simply enable hands-free mode through the Alexa App, then use the wake word Alexa to ask for music, news, information and more whenever you are connected to Wi-Fi.

To enable hands-free mode make sure your Amazon Tap is connected to Wi-Fi, then go to Settings in your Alexa App. Select your device, turn on hands-free mode, then just ask:

- "Alexa, whats up?"
 - "Alexa, play Bruno Mars."
 - "Alexa, whats the weather in Los Angeles?"
 - "Alexa, set a timer for 15 minutes."

Amazon Tap can provide up to 8 hours of continuous playback while in hands-free mode. To conserve battery life when not in use, tap the power button to put the device into sleep mode.

Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202120490

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac