Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Birds of Prey  (Read 713 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Birds of Prey
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
Today I visited Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge, but the main attraction was indoors! At the Refuge Visitor Center, a Hawker was showing two hawks and an owl. I got up close and personal with the birds, as you can see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline R. Doug

• View Profile
Re: Birds of Prey
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Beautiful.
R. Doug Wicker

Mystery

Mystery
The Globe
The Globe is a ship that has everything
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook

Offline prairiesky

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
Wonderful photos..really stunning.

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »
I really like that first one, from the profile view of the head to the great detailing of everything. :)

Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline AjaxMinoan

• Vancouver, USA.
  • I work at the Washington State University.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
  I work at the Washington State University in Vancouver, and have beheld some breathtaking activity by the Great Horned Owls on the campus hill. Just the other night one of them was circling a campus cat. I hope the cat got to cover. Sometimes they buzz our windshields when we drive down the hill. The problem is it is at night, and sightings are usually very brief. These owls are very large and magnificent, but I don't think I can get a picture or good film of it.
  A great strand of thickets near the buildings allows rabbits shelter, and causes their numbers to grow a great deal. You couple this with the surrounding woods of Evergreens, and you have hungry owls looking for snacks. Coyotes stalk the campus as well.

Ray Buckridge

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »
  I work at the Washington State University in Vancouver, and have beheld some breathtaking activity by the Great Horned Owls on the campus hill. Just the other night one of them was circling a campus cat. I hope the cat got to cover. Sometimes they buzz our windshields when we drive down the hill. The problem is it is at night, and sightings are usually very brief. These owls are very large and magnificent, but I don't think I can get a picture or good film of it.
  A great strand of thickets near the buildings allows rabbits shelter, and causes their numbers to grow a great deal. You couple this with the surrounding woods of Evergreens, and you have hungry owls looking for snacks. Coyotes stalk the campus as well.

The big owls are fascinating, but hard to see and harder to photograph. I'm glad you got to see them!

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Libby13

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Libby Heily Website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:48:17 AM »
Owls are my favorite!!!

Thanks for reading!
Libby Heily | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | Instagram

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »
Love it!
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MD2004

• View Profile
    • Checkdirector
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 12:38:22 AM »
Gorgeous! But on the other hand - those birds look kinda sad. I think flying animals shouldn't be kept in captivity since they need much more space to feel content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »
Beautiful photos, Claw.

The only bird of this kind I've ever seen close up is a Barn Owl which was the most beautiful gold and white colour. It's breast feathers felt as soft as silk to the touch but it regarded me with such a haughty stare it was unnerving!
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch