Author Topic: Copyright, US Copyright Application, Proper Referencing, Disclaimer Page  (Read 640 times)  

Offline Polleo1985

• View Profile
Hello Everyone!
I have a question about how to properly develop a disclaimer page and how to properly give credit to content that I do not own.
I write in the health/cookbook sector and my books (for now) are text only, no images. I need to buy a decent camera and learn how to take professional photos of my recipes and until such time the books will be image free.
I do however have a front and back book cover:
My designer uses will purchase the photos from a stock site and then introduce the title, fonts, pen name, etc.
The back cover will just simply be an image from the stock site.
Speaking to the stock site customer service they require me to reference the image owner and the designer so that would mean:

Front Cover Image John Smith 123RF.COM
Front Cover Design by Caroline Jenkins
Back Cover Image Ben Johns 123RF.COM

Does that sound right to you all?

The second part of it is how do I handle my Disclaimer page at the beginning.
My disclaimer page so far has always had on top
Copyright 2017 by Pen Name All Rights Reserved
I have the usual section how I am not a medical practitioner etc etc.

I also had a line in there:
Pen Name owns all exclusive publishing rights to the entire content of this book
Can I say this, is this right?
I mean the content the text is all mine, the whole book is mine except where I have credited the image owners and the designer for the front book cover.

My last question (Sorry its a long one guys).

I also want to apply for copyright via the US Copyright site.
They ask to select if you want copyright on the text, the artwork or the photographs and/or all 3 options.
What would I be selecting.

When I obtain the copyright does this mean I just protect my  content because in theory someone else has copyright over the original images.

Apologies if this is a silly question I just want to be 100% sure I am doing the right thing and I wont have any issues from Amazon or the stock image provider or anyone for that matter.
Just want to do the right thing.

Thanking you all in advance.

Polleo.

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
I'll answer part of this.

Kboards will not show the "letter C in a circle" copyright symbol, so I will use (c) here. In your book, of course, you will use the actual symbol.

The Copyright Office allows you to use either the symbol or the word Copyright. You are not required to use both. However, most people do and it has a nice look to it. It's perfectly O.K. to do so.

The correct way to do it is:

Copyright (c) year Author Name

There is no added word by or any other extraneous wording. This is not a new regulation. It has been this way for decades (though for decades some people---even some big corporations---have done it incorrectly). I have never heard of a court case of copyright being decided upon whether or not the word "by" was included but it's always good to do things in the proper manner.

I will let others tackle your other questions.

Offline Polleo1985

• View Profile
I'll answer part of this.

Kboards will not show the "letter C in a circle" copyright symbol, so I will use (c) here. In your book, of course, you will use the actual symbol.

The Copyright Office allows you to use either the symbol or the word Copyright. You are not required to use both. However, most people do and it has a nice look to it. It's perfectly O.K. to do so.

The correct way to do it is:

Copyright (c) year Author Name

There is no added word by or any other extraneous wording. This is not a new regulation. It has been this way for decades (though for decades some people---even some big corporations---have done it incorrectly). I have never heard of a court case of copyright being decided upon whether or not the word "by" was included but it's always good to do things in the proper manner.

I will let others tackle your other questions.

Thank you very much :)

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
They ask to select if you want copyright on the text, the artwork or the photographs and/or all 3 options.

When I obtain the copyright does this mean I just protect my  content because in theory someone else has copyright over the original images.

Sorry I only answer this now! I've been doing quite a bit of research in the past few months about copyright, and had bookmarked this to make sure I'd get to it.

You can only register the copyright for material you own the rights to. So if someone else has copyright over the images, you can't include those in your copyright registration. You can learn more about copyright registration here. Note that you should register your work within three months of the works publication date, or before any copyright infringement begins. This secures you some crucial benefits, including the ability to recover attorneys fees and statutory damages up to $150,000.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
Front Cover Image John Smith 123RF.COM
Front Cover Design by Caroline Jenkins
Back Cover Image Ben Johns 123RF.COM
I wouldn't include the website where you sourced the images. Including the name of the copyright holder is enough. You may want to explicitly state on that page (which is called the copyright page, not disclaimer page) that the images are used with permission of the copyright holders. While not strictly necessary, it can head off any potential issues with POD content review teams questioning your right to use something you don't own.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
I believe stock sites have specific wording to be used when crediting image use, which includes the site address. Do it how you are required to do so, it's part of the licensing terms.

As to the other questions:

I also had a line in there:
�Pen Name owns all exclusive publishing rights to the entire content of this book�
Can I say this, is this right?

This is redundant. Find a book like yours (or several) and make your page like theirs. That's pretty easy.

You would be copyrighting only the text, as you can't copyright something that's already owned by someone else. Once you start taking your own pictures, then you will be copyrighting text and images except where you use stock.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.