KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Prime Reading Experiences?  (Read 3819 times)  

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Prime Reading Experiences?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Hi - hope it's not too late to resurrect this topic, but I have a question that doesn't seem to have been asked before. I had the email offering to put one of my books in to the program about 3 weeks ago and I eagerly accepted. It's the first book I have in a series which is ranking about #5000 at the moment so I'm quite excited about the possibilities it may create.

However - since accepting - I have not heard anything. I was just wondering, for those of you that have been offered a place in the program, how long after the email were you included? Weeks? Months?

Yes, I guess I'm being impatient but it's a little frustrating receiving  the offer and then not knowing if/ when it's going to happen.

I've had two books in Prime reading now. Both started at the end of the month after the month in which I accepted. For one, that was like seven weeks and the other was only five weeks. Both times, I got an email letting me know it was in Prime. You'll probably get that email in about two weeks and your book will be in Prime for the month of December. Something tells me that's gonna be a good thing. My first one did better, but it was ranked better from the outset. Getting on the first page of your genre's list is important. Whatever you can do to raise the borrows and sales before and during the Prime month will be the deciding factor.

Good luck! And please report back what the affects are these days.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline Ollie07

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
Hi - thanks for the replies - sounds like it will be all go for December then. My book is the first in a range of seven, and my sell through rates are generally very good so I've high hopes. Things have been bubbling up nicely for a while despite my lack of success getting into Bookbub etc so it's a real break for me being offered this. Someone had to notice me eventually :-)

I'll report back after the event.

I dream about visiting the past and the future - then I write about it.
Jason Ayres | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
Heh. I finally got around to reading the book I borrowed through Prime in January. Actually, I just got around to listening to the audiobook (because apparently a Prime borrow counts as a sale in terms of letting you whispersync). I liked it and ended up buying the e-book and also a paperback for a gift, and also bought the e-book + audio of the second one.

Just a friendly reminder that you can't always tell the effect of something like this based on what happens during the time the promo is running or immediately after.

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 05:29:18 AM »
Do you have to be in KU in order to be considered for Prime Reading? I have no idea how this works except from the reading end of things!. Thanks.

Offline Ollie07

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 12:58:10 AM »
Do you have to be in KU in order to be considered for Prime Reading? I have no idea how this works except from the reading end of things!. Thanks.

Hi KTW - yes you do have to be in KU to be eligible for Prime Reading. Hope this helps!

Offline Ollie07

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:08 AM »
Stop press! My book (the first in my signature) went into Prime about ten minutes ago. I know because I obsessively refresh my book page every 10 minutes (bet I'm not the only one who does that!)

This was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting it to be the end of the month.

As of right now I am ranked #7957 overall in the UK. so let's see what happens.

Offline Ollie07

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 05:56:37 AM »
Hi - has anyone else had any problems with their books being removed from Prime Reading early? Either temporarily or permanently? I ask, because mine has only been in for a week and has now been taken out, despite performing well - rank dropped from 7000ish to 1500ish.

I noticed another book that went in at the same time as mine disappeared too. This is in the UK.

It's disappointing to say the least - 7 days into a 90 day run isn't really enough time to gather any momentum.

Offline MarcyB

• @marcyblesy
    • View Profile
    • Children's Books: Lots to Say, Lots to Learn
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
Hello. How does/did the prime reading promotion affect the sales/ranks of your paperbacks of the same title? Thank you!

Offline GrandFenwick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »
Anyone know how books are chosen?

The Complete Father Bredder Mysteries Coming to Kindle...
Leonard Wibberley | Goodreads | Leonard's Website | Sign Up for Leonard's Musings & Book News | FREE Thanksgiving Poem Audiobook

Offline Ollie07

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »
Anyone know how books are chosen?

All I know is that my book was out for three and a half years before it was chosen. It is the first in a series of four. The fourth came out at the end of September, boosting up the sales of the first in the series, meaning it hung around in the #4000 to #6000 range for a few weeks. Normally it ranks about double that. Presumably it's high ranking qualified it in some way and then it got picked. I believe that the books are hand picked but presumably you have to meet certain criteria and it's a fair bet ranking is one of them. I am not so sure about reviews - I've seen books in there with not many reviews and lower average stars so maybe that's not so important.

If they are hand picked and not selected by algos then you need to hope that whoever's picking that day likes the cut of your book's jib!

Of course, like many posts on this board, this is largely speculation based on what scant evidence I have. Only the mighty Zon truly knows the answer.

Offline GrandFenwick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »
Thanks Ollie. That jibes with someone I know whose book recently got picked. It is also the first book in a series and was also released a few years ago.

Leonard Wibberley | Goodreads | Leonard's Website | Sign Up for Leonard's Musings & Book News | FREE Thanksgiving Poem Audiobook

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
Is there anyone currently in Prime for amazon.com? Just wondering when the current 90 day period started.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline SeanHinn

• View Profile
    • SeanHinn.com
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 04:15:59 PM »
Is there anyone currently in Prime for amazon.com? Just wondering when the current 90 day period started.

I just got my email telling me I'm live about 20 minutes ago :) Dunno if it will amount to anything in terms of additional sales, but hey, maybe, right?
Sean Hinn | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 04:46:22 AM »
Hi - hope it's not too late to resurrect this topic, but I have a question that doesn't seem to have been asked before. I had the email offering to put one of my books in to the program about 3 weeks ago and I eagerly accepted. It's the first book I have in a series which is ranking about #5000 at the moment so I'm quite excited about the possibilities it may create.

However - since accepting - I have not heard anything. I was just wondering, for those of you that have been offered a place in the program, how long after the email were you included? Weeks? Months?

Yes, I guess I'm being impatient but it's a little frustrating receiving  the offer and then not knowing if/ when it's going to happen.

In case you're still wanting an answer. I got approached for a PR book a few weeks ago, signed and returned it. I had heard that they sometimes wait until a quarter or even the next quarter for inclusion, so I didn't expect anything to happen quickly. Woke up this morning to a notification that the book is in Prime Reading. So...I think it varies quite a lot in terms of response time and inclusion into the program.

Offline GrandFenwick

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »
My daughter's book Sacrificed (Teen YA) also just went live yesterday, so that must be the start date of the new term...if there is such a thing.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac