by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7762

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Prime Reading Experiences?  (Read 1852 times)  

Offline miaa

• View Profile
Prime Reading Experiences?
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:14:53 PM »
I'm curious to hear from authors who have had a book included in the Prime Reading program who might be willing to share their experiences/observations.

Has it been worthwhile? Any differences to sales? Was the 'flat fee' worth it?

How long did Amazon keep your book on rotation? Are there any disadvantages?

Cheers.

Offline mmandolin

• Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • Just a monkey with a pipe...
    • View Profile
Re: Prime Reading Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
I actually just signed an agreement today to have one of my books included in the Prime Reading program. Looking forward to the opportunity, and will report back with info when I have it.  ;)

Online jmb3

• So.Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:49 PM »
My first novel, Cake, is in there now. It started Jan 1st (actually a few days before-Dec 27th) and is supposed to run about 90 days. I saw an immediate difference in rank. By the time it went into Prime reading my book had been out for almost eight months and had dropped to about 1800 in the bestselling rankings. Within a few days in Prime, it rose to the 200's and stayed there for over a month before it gradually began dropping again. I suspect that it will continue dropping throughout the rest of this month (and have a big drop off at the end of March when it will be booted out of the program) but it was a great ride while it lasted. I also managed to time book two to come out the week after my book first entered Prime Reading so that was an added bonus. It was also a boost for the audiobook which had been released the month before.

As far as sells and pages read (not including the free ones in Prime), they doubled (and for a few great days tripled) during the first month and have gradually leveled off but have stayed above what they were before going in. I have not received the flat fee yet, but that will come at the end. I would have done it for free.

For me, having my book in Prime Reading was well worth it and I'm bummed it will be over soon.  :D  I haven't seen any disadvantages. The way I see it, those that read the book for free probably wouldn't have bought it anyway and their 'free' borrow helps the rankings which makes the book more visible. One thing I've noticed is people who don't normally read romance have taken a chance on my book because it was free. I have also received quite a few reviews from people identifying themselves as being part of the Prime Reading and even some who have thanked me for providing my book for free. It's been a win-win.

All in all a great opportunity and I'm very thankful to Amazon for giving my book that chance.

J. Bengtsson

Offline miaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:09 AM »
mmandolin - Good luck! I'll be curious to see how you find the experience.

jmb3 - Thanks for your detailed feedback. It definitely seems like there are a lot of advantages to participating in Prime Reading. Sounds like you're having a great run, well done!

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »
For me, having my book in Prime Reading was well worth it and I'm bummed it will be over soon.  :D  I haven't seen any disadvantages. The way I see it, those that read the book for free probably wouldn't have bought it anyway and their 'free' borrow helps the rankings which makes the book more visible. One thing I've noticed is people who don't normally read romance have taken a chance on my book because it was free. I have also received quite a few reviews from people identifying themselves as being part of the Prime Reading and even some who have thanked me for providing my book for free. It's been a win-win.

All in all a great opportunity and I'm very thankful to Amazon for giving my book that chance.

Yeah, exactly. Seems like a win-win situation for most authors.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:00:08 AM »
I've had two in (one main name, one pen name) and it's been okay but it's certainly not life-changing. I don't see any drawbacks to it but it's not exactly a career builder.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:23:45 AM »
I've had two in (one main name, one pen name) and it's been okay but it's certainly not life-changing. I don't see any drawbacks to it but it's not exactly a career builder.

I pretty much agree with what Amanda said after two weeks of having "Mindful Manifestation" in the program. This is a self-help book, and I appreciate the increased exposure Prime Reading provides, but I have not seen any actual increase in sales for this title or any of my other books.

Even though "Mindful Manifestation" has been downloaded probably about two thousand times, and is ranked very high in its main categories, I've gotten only one review in two weeks (a negative one that entirely missed the point of the book) and see little evidence showing that most people who download the book actually read any of it (my opt-ins, for instance, have not gone up even with all the downloads.)

I'll update if something changes dramatically over the next month or two in the program.  ;)

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »
It all very much depends on WHERE they place you among the listed Prime Reading books. If you're on the first page you can expect great results.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »
I'm in Prime Reading (but in the midst of a free promo and I think they took me off the page.)

I went from about 17,000 in the ranks to 3,000ish, which put me on the first page in the Sci-fi category. What I noticed was that compared to a 99-cent sales that have similarly helped my rank, I did not see a huge amount of sell-thru. That said, it did give my audiobook a nice steady boost. I am curious to see what my rank will be when the free promo ends, too.

Oh, and not sure if it was a result of the Prime Reading program, but yesterday, my book disappeared from all the browsing categories. ALL OF THEM. So for a few hours my downloads slowed to a trickle as all the organic downloads stopped. It was weird. I would say, if you can schedule your free promo around your Prime Reading days, maybe do that. However, if you can't, it's still probably a good deal.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
I've had two books in there. Both times it's been great for that book and sell-through. Both older books.

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
I had a book in PR. I saw an uptick but nothing amazing, though my book was still ranking well when they placed it in. I think performance really depends on placement on their advertisements. I saw one book that had been ranking really low almost crack the top 100, driven by PR, and I have to think that added visibility helped sales and page reads. I'd probably do it again if offered a similar payment, but then I seem to have been offered a higher amount based on what I've heard from others.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »
I've had two books in there. Both times it's been great for that book and sell-through. Both older books.

Yeah it seems to have pretty good sell-through. It is like a free promo just a little better. It works best when the book is also on sale.

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 12:33:51 PM »
Biggest win for me: more subscribers.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline VayneLine

• View Profile
    • VayneLine
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
Never even heard of PR until this topic.  Is this something you have to apply for like Scout, or do you just sign up instead of KU?  Whats general consensus?

I write space opera Scifi.  If you like heavy action and deep concepts check out my stuff.
E. A. Szabelski | VayneLine website

Offline Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Never even heard of PR until this topic.  Is this something you have to apply for like Scout, or do you just sign up instead of KU?  Whats general consensus?

You don't apply. Amazon comes to you if they want your book.

Online EvanPickering

• View Profile
    • The Apocalypse Wouldn't Be A Good Time To Write, So Let's Do It Now.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »

This. I didn't see much change in my numbers, but I got paid a flat fee so that was sweet. No complaints but not a barnburner. Certainly boosts your rank which feels nifty but that's about it haha

Evan

A Legend Is Reborn In The American Apocalypse.
Evan Pickering | Post-Apoc Writing Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline VayneLine

• View Profile
    • VayneLine
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:08 PM »
You don't apply. Amazon comes to you if they want your book.

Ah thanks.  How often does this happen?  Do you need big hits, big ratings etc?

I write space opera Scifi.  If you like heavy action and deep concepts check out my stuff.
E. A. Szabelski | VayneLine website

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »
The first book in my first ten book series was put in Prime two weeks ago. As others have reported, it immediately shot up in rank from the 5K range into the 200s. Sales slowly started ticking up, but on a graph, it's barely noticeable. KU page reads have now doubled and continue to climb. Book two is showing 60% more revenue, book three is up about 40%. After that, revenue of each is slowly climbing.

Enjoying the ride so far.
NINC President-Elect, 2018. My Amazon Bestselling, ten-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
I actually am feeling better about it ... I did a free promo, and it seemed to put a snag in the algos because my book disappeared for a while from the browsing categories ( a direct link was needed ) but while I was free my rank got a boost, and now I'm in the 700s. I am also getting sell-thru now.

... still, think more of the sell-thru may have been from the free giveaway, but the higher rank should give me nice visibility and a sales boost as I drift down the rankings.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 07:11:44 PM »
I've been invited to submit a book to Prime and I have a question - if I submit it and it's selected, then does this mean I lose my ranking on that novel and stop getting paid for it for 90 days? I ask because my ranking is top 10 in genre and it's doing very well and I'm nervous about joining Prime and then losing my ranking.

Thank you.

Offline Cheyanne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

Same. I've had one for each pen name and it was okay, but nothing amazing.

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
I've been invited to submit a book to Prime and I have a question - if I submit it and it's selected, then does this mean I lose my ranking on that novel and stop getting paid for it for 90 days? I ask because my ranking is top 10 in genre and it's doing very well and I'm nervous about joining Prime and then losing my ranking.

Thank you.

No, your ranking will improve. Probably by a huge margin. That's one of the significant Prime Reading benefits (although it doesn't necessarily lead to more sales.) And you will still get paid, same as normal.

Offline Dolphin

• Under the Sea
  • Skree'ee--eee, eeek!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »
Assuming you're not under a NDA or something, what're the term lengths and lump sum payments these days?

Regardless, it sounds like everybody's sales have been somewhere from ambiguous to positive, so this is clearly a win, right? You might get a direct sales/ranking boost, and they're paying you to promote your book and tap a new audience of readers? That bargain sounds almost Faustian in its generosity.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac