Author Topic: Book Rank (formerly Ram's Promo Stacker) - One Stop Promo Shop!  (Read 20108 times)  

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
Re: Book Rank (formerly Ram's Promo Stacker) - One Stop Promo Shop!
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »
Just wanted to report on my results with Ram.

I ran a $400 package with a free sci-fi book (Reaper's Run). This book has been permafree for some time. The promo period was for about a week at the end of September. I estimate about 3300 downloads attributable to the Ram Stack. That's a little under my target of 10c/download, but not too bad. Probably with a book that hasn't been permafree for a while, I'd have gotten more downloads.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
    • All My Dirty Stuff At Amazon!
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2017, 04:21:31 AM »
UPDATE:

Shameless Book Deals has just been added to the venue list.

You can check out their site here: http://shamelessbookdeals.com/

SBD provides promotions for dark and erotic romance.

Online Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
Just wanted to report on my results with Ram.

I ran a $400 package with a free sci-fi book (Reaper's Run). This book has been permafree for some time. The promo period was for about a week at the end of September. I estimate about 3300 downloads attributable to the Ram Stack. That's a little under my target of 10c/download, but not too bad. Probably with a book that hasn't been permafree for a while, I'd have gotten more downloads.

Good to see some feedback, David. Thanks for sharing.

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2017, 05:59:21 AM »
I've added Geektasic to my non-romance venue list.

They are a great new resource for Science Fiction and Fantasy book promotions and headed up by the same folks in charge of Brazen Bookshelf.

As with many of the other venues I have listed, my clients enjoy a discount at Geektasic that they can't get elsewhere.

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
Wanted to report my far-better-than-anticipated results with BookRank!

First, thank you, Ram! And thank you, kboards.

I ran the Bronze promo package--$200--for my book, discounted to $0.99. I'm still too inexperienced to go for the Promo Stacker, although that may be the way I'll go next time.

The promo ran from Nov 3rd thru the 6th. These numbers may not seem astounding to others of you on kboards, but, for me, they are astounding numbers, because: (1) up until the day the promo started, the most books I'd sold in one day was 3, and (2) I'd sold a total of 53 books (Kindle+D2D+paperback) before this promo. My book went on sale August 6th.

The grand totals from the promo are: 78 Kindle sales / 4 D2D sales / 1 paperback! = 83 books sold

So I more than doubled the number of books sold. Hurrah!

Pretty heady stuff for me, especially days 1 and 2, when 32 and 33 copies, respectively, of my book were sold.

I've had an AMS ad running, and I kept it running during the promo, so it accounts for a few sales, but not all that many.

And my book's still at $0.99 through today, because I added on eBookSoda for yesterday (9 sales) and BKnights today (3 sales so far--but it's early).

Hope these stats are helpful to others.

Offline Athena Grayson

• View Profile
    • Athena Grayson
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
RTW, those are some nice numbers!

Ram, I'm looking into scheduling a 99-cent promo for a first in series that's not been discounted in about a year, but I'm looking to schedule the promos out over two weeks as a way to do a more consistent build-up. Can the promo-stacker packages accommodate that?

Space Opera...With Girl Cooties!
Athena Grayson | site | newsletter | facebook

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »
RTW, those are some nice numbers!

Ram, I'm looking into scheduling a 99-cent promo for a first in series that's not been discounted in about a year, but I'm looking to schedule the promos out over two weeks as a way to do a more consistent build-up. Can the promo-stacker packages accommodate that?

Yep, it's pretty simple.

For the Promo Stacker, just check off "DON'T STACK" when you're filling out the form. You can add any details or scheduling preferences you want to communicate to me at the bottom in the additional comments section, too.

If you're wanting to go with one of the Book Rank pre-priced packages (Silver, Gold, etc.) there isn't a check box. Just let me know your scheduling preferences in the additional comments section when you place your order.

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
I booked the Gold package for a new release. Curious to see how it performs vs. organizing the promo myself in the past.

Nick

Online Miranda Honfleur

• Indianapolis, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Miranda Honfleur, Author
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
I used Ram's service as part of my launch this November, and I'm very happy with the experience. He managed all the venues beautifully, even booked the ARC service for me, and when there was an issue with a venue, he handled it. :) I was torn in a thousand different directions with the book launch, and I was so glad to have lightened the load. I'll definitely be back, and I recommend his services highly!

Fantasy with Heart
Miranda Honfleur | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
Going to be doing Thanksgiving stuff over the next couple of days, but I'll be around and taking care of orders here and there so there shouldn't be any unusual delays for my clients.

If you have promotions you want to run before the year is out, it's probably a good idea to get them to me before the end of this month! And if you're planning on running promotions during January/Kindlemas, try to get your orders in by December 15th or so.

I used Ram's service as part of my launch this November, and I'm very happy with the experience. He managed all the venues beautifully, even booked the ARC service for me, and when there was an issue with a venue, he handled it. :) I was torn in a thousand different directions with the book launch, and I was so glad to have lightened the load. I'll definitely be back, and I recommend his services highly!

Thanks, Miranda. You put a lot of time, effort, and thought into your books - and it shows. Authors like you make my job easy. :) It was a true pleasure working with you and I look forward to doing so again.

Offline yellowlycra

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
is there a promo service for full price books?

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
is there a promo service for full price books?

The pre-priced packages are built with free/99c/2.99 price points in mind. So, if you can, you'll want to use the "You Build It" / Promo Stacker service for books priced over $2.99.

If you're really not sure which venues to go with (though there aren't many that support prices over $2.99) but you do have a budget in mind, reach out to me via email (bookrankservices@gmail.com) or you can PM me here. I'm sure we can come up with something to give you the best possible campaign for your money.

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
REMINDER - I'll be handling orders and scheduling campaigns throughout the holiday period. If you've got books to promote, but you'd rather be drinking some eggnog or watching football instead, give me a shout and I'll take care of you.

Also - BIG thanks to all my clients. Book Rank broke through over $500,000 worth of revenue this year and it only really started picking up steam in early March. Many, many satisfied customers along the way and more books in the Top 100 than I could possibly remember. It feels really good to have helped so many people and done it all for what I feel is a super reasonable price.

Here's to hoping we'll make even more authors happy next year. :)

Wishing the very best to you all,

-RD

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
Ram is so handsome and charismatic that I wish I had a book to promote right now.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next year  :(

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
Ram is so handsome and charismatic that I wish I had a book to promote right now.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next year  :(

:) Maybe I should add this one to the testimonials page!

Offline Ian W. Sainsbury

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Ian W. Sainsbury
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2017, 04:06:42 AM »
I ran a three-day Silver promo with Ram on the first of my series - The World Walker. It's the first time it's ever been free. Over 12,000 downloads, so I'm delighted. Although the UK has been my best market up to now, around 90% of the downloads were in the US, which is what I was hoping for. Well worth the money, I'd say, and highly recommended.

Ian W. Sainsbury | blog | facebook

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2017, 06:30:16 AM »
I'm gonna be running around doing some holiday stuff this weekend, so I'll likely be in and out of the office a bit more than usual. If you need to put in an order and your promotion dates are even remotely close I'd advise you to do it ASAP.

Things will be back to normal by Monday.

Thank you, drive through.  8)

I ran a three-day Silver promo with Ram on the first of my series - The World Walker. It's the first time it's ever been free. Over 12,000 downloads, so I'm delighted. Although the UK has been my best market up to now, around 90% of the downloads were in the US, which is what I was hoping for. Well worth the money, I'd say, and highly recommended.

Delighted to hear it, Ian! Thanks for sharing your experience with my service here on KBoards.

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
I'm currently on day 2 of a 3-day free promo that Ram's running for me. I'll report back later with all the results, but as of the moment, Origin Phase has sold 1,822 free copies and is #1 in Kindle Free Science Fiction Time Travel and #7 in Kindle Free Paranormal and Urban.

Thank you, Ram!

Online wearywanderer64

• Spain
  • I wander lonely as a cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
Just saw the prices. If mine could be guaranteed to make a profit I'd jump at the chance.
amazon.com/images/I/51F2mQ5fyyL._SL125_.jpg[/img][/url]

Alex Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2017, 04:11:42 AM »
First, many thanks to Ram for running a great promo for me. Also thanks to Miranda Honfleur for mentioning that Ram took care of her ARC service, since I was able to have him handle this for me as well--and he got the book out to the ARC service on a very tight schedule.

I'm bowled over by the results of my promo. 2,807 copies sold (for $0.00) over a 3-day period. I have 2 reviews so far from the ARC service, and got a couple of new subscribers to my mailing list. My book Origin Phase was either #1 or #2 in the free Kindle store in science fiction time travel for almost the entire weekend and was somewhere in the top 6 in paranormal and urban fantasy as well. That was pretty damn thrilling for me. Especially for the few hours that I was beating out H.G. Wells!

Book 2 in the series is coming out next week, and book 3's coming out the first week in January. Ram's running these promos for me as well and I'll be sure to post results.

I could not have hoped to have done this without Ram's service. I think Ram should take off his tie in celebration!

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
Just saw the prices. If mine could be guaranteed to make a profit I'd jump at the chance.

Alas, there are no real guarantees to profit with any advertising. :( About the closest you can get is with a Featured Bookbub promotion.

If you just want some advice feel free to contact me - it doesn't cost a dime.

First, many thanks to Ram for running a great promo for me. Also thanks to Miranda Honfleur for mentioning that Ram took care of her ARC service, since I was able to have him handle this for me as well--and he got the book out to the ARC service on a very tight schedule.

I'm bowled over by the results of my promo. 2,807 copies sold (for $0.00) over a 3-day period. I have 2 reviews so far from the ARC service, and got a couple of new subscribers to my mailing list. My book Origin Phase was either #1 or #2 in the free Kindle store in science fiction time travel for almost the entire weekend and was somewhere in the top 6 in paranormal and urban fantasy as well. That was pretty damn thrilling for me. Especially for the few hours that I was beating out H.G. Wells!

Book 2 in the series is coming out next week, and book 3's coming out the first week in January. Ram's running these promos for me as well and I'll be sure to post results.

I could not have hoped to have done this without Ram's service. I think Ram should take off his tie in celebration!

Terrific! I love helping people so much. Authors like yourself and many others who I have worked with make my job easy because you create a quality book that has all the important elements in place.

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »
Hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday season so far! It'll be 2018 before we know it!  :o

I'll be around all week handling orders before heading out of the office a bit over the weekend. After New Year's though, it'll be back to business as usual.

Also, an UPDATE:

The book promotion service AUTHOR'S XP has been added to both the romance and non-romance Promo Stacker venue list.

Author's XP website: https://authorsxp.com/index.php

My clients receive discounted pricing at this venue (and many others!) when ordering through my service.

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
Bumpin' cause my plans changed and I'll be around the entire weekend after all. So, I have plenty of availability to take on new orders.

If you are interested in running a campaign sometime in January or February, get your orders in now!  :P

Offline raminar_dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
I've been insanely busy with new orders the past few days but I did find time for an...

UPDATE!

Mona's Secret Panty Drawer Romance has been added to the Romance Promo Stacker venue list.

They are a newer venue but growing quickly. Give them a try and maybe add them to your next order with me!

Thanks to all and Happy (belated) New Year!  ;D

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
As promised, here's my report/review on the Gold package ($800, 28 - 34 promotional venues, custom paid FB advertising). This is BookRank's next-to-highest tier (Diamond, at $1500 is the highest).

DETAILS: this was for the launch of a new urban fantasy book that came out on Jan. 1. Very clear UF book (e.g. not PNR). I've written two other trilogies under this pen name. The stack ran from Jan 1 - 7, during which time the book was $0.99. It was in KU; KENP of 380+ pages; I didn't notify my email list or do anything else during that time. I did not run any PPC.

I booked it on Nov. 19, which gave Ram about a 40 day lead time to organize the promo stack before release day. 

SERVICE: easy to book. Ram handled everything, then sent me a very clear PDF with the sites booked and the dates. When there was a minor scheduling problem with one of the sites (not his fault), he handled it and sent me the new info within hours. Fast, painless, professional.

SITES BOOKED: ENT/EBookHounds/Choosy/Read Cheaply* (DAY 1) | BettyBookFreak/AwesomeGang Deluxe (DAY 2) | BookBarbarian*/Book Gorilla/Geektastic (DAY 3) | BargainBooksy*/EBSoda (DAY 4) | eReader Cafe BoTD/KND/Fussy (DAY 5) | Booksends/GP/FKBT (DAY 6) | EBStage/Just Kindle Books (DAY 7)

Total sites booked by Ram: 16 sites. Some of these are for multiple sites (Awesome Gang Deluxe, for example, I think posts to three or four sites).
* = booked myself

CUSTOM ADVERTISING:

RESULTS: 361 sales, 18,763 page reads. Revenue was probably $180 - $220 and change. Profit was not expected; you really do something like this for rank, stickiness, and a tail; peak rank was #2264 on DAY 4. I'd say that was more because of the cumulative effects, rather than that day's particular line-up, which only had two sites. Rank at the end (DAY 7) was #3705.

Important - this book didn't have any reviews until the last day of the stack. That would have no doubt improved the results. It was up for pre-order before the promo (so I had a live link) and garnered 41 pre-orders over about 40 days, but (obviously) wasn't on any sort of hot new release lists or anything.

COMMENTS: you're buying convenience here, which Ram doesn't make a secret. If you're tight on funds, you can save the fee and organize the stack yourself - there's no secret sauce (nor any claim of there being any, for that matter). I think this is useful for two types of authors: 1) those who don't understand the concept of stacking/organizing a promo and are intimidated by all the options/variables. This essentially guarantees that you have something workable. 2) those who don't want to spend 3 hours filling in forms or keeping track of requirements/payments and so forth. If you're making $50/hr from your work, then even with the fee, you likely come out ahead, although you sacrifice significant flexibility in what sites are used/what order the promo goes off (Ram does have an a la carte option where you can select your own sites; this is a specific review of the Gold service).

There were three things I would consider negatives.

One, the "Custom Paid Advertising on Facebook": the only ad I got sent was the one above. I'm not sure if Ram ran others. I was not expecting much, really, in this department, nor was it the reason I booked the service. However, linking to the book on Amazon and having Facebook pull the cover in automatically from the link, and then using a headline that says $0.99 is a rather generous (if technically correct) interpretation of "custom," unless there's some insanely complex audience targeting going on behind the scenes. Ram clearly has a lot of orders, so I don't think hyper-custom and managed PPC ad campaigns are on the table. Nonetheless, if that's what's on offer, I would humbly suggest nixing that from the advertising entirely. I don't think this added any value; if it had been removed, and if the price had stayed the same ($800), I wouldn't have batted an eyelash. Since it was advertised, however, that made me curious and hopeful, perhaps, that there would be something interesting in the works; alas, I ended up underwhelmed.

Two, I wouldn't book a couple of these sites at all, even if I was chasing rank. To be fair, it's promising a promo stack, not "most efficient use of funds stack" or "the most selective stack." Not all sites will accept new releases (my other books do have a bunch of reviews, so many sites will accept a new release based on this track record, however). That means perhaps other less optimal sites had to be substituted. But something to bear in mind if ad dollars are at an absolute premium.

Three, I probably would have ended with the big hitters/more sites, rather than spaced them out. In fairness, this isn't entirely in Ram's control (ENT, for example, is pretty random about what dates they're willing to give you), and he didn't know where I'd scheduled in my pieces of the equation. I also could have given him a narrower range of dates, which would have made them spaced closer together. That being said, a huge part of the stickiness factor, I think, is coming off at peak rank, or close to it - that didn't happen here. In fact, DAY 7 was my lowest sales/rank day. In this case, not a big deal, because the book is still $0.99 as I ramp up my PPC spend (and send out my newsletter/social media and so forth). But not optimal if that was actually the end of the promo, IMO.

OVERALL: this service does exactly what it says. Ram delivers the promo stack quickly, is professional, and provides excellent customer service. There's nothing here you can't do yourself, but you're not buying secret sauce; you're buying convenience. For certain authors, it makes a lot of sense to outsource a tedious and annoying series of tasks to a service like this and focus on other things; for others, it's a great way to get your feet wet without fear of messing up logistics while you learn about promotion. I would recommend the service to these people.

If you know what sites you like/work and want maximum control over your promo's schedule, then using a service like Book Rank (and especially the Bronze/Silver/Gold/Diamond packages) probably doesn't make sense, which is likely why my comments are less enthusiastic than many of the glowing reviews here. Just know what author bucket you fall into, then make your decision accordingly.

Nick
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:34:29 PM by Nicholas Erik »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac