Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: Looking for some encouragement...Update!  (Read 12411 times)  

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
Re: Looking for some encouragement...UPDATE!
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
I wanted to give an update, because things are kinda, sorta, moving. Thanks for everyone who chimed in, I've really taken everything to heart and tried to make some changes. You guys are awesome!

First, and this is most unusual - Nook is somehow moving. I cannot figure out why - I've checked my freebies through D2D, and all the free downloads are anemic. Yet the other books are selling. I've made $30 there just today, and it's not even noon. I made $64 all last month. As I said, I have no idea where these sales are coming from, but I'll take them!

Second, Bad Faith has somehow been doing well. Once again, a shout-out to the amazing John Ellsworth, who helped me launch it. It's sitting at 8,813 right now, at $2.99, not in KU, and I'm an unknown author in the genre. I'm quite grateful and happy with that - I figured that, once I made it $2.99, the sales would just die and I would end up making it a perma-free once Book Two drops, which is going to be early next month. Guess the algorithms helped out!

Third, I'm taking everyone's advice who told me to put the Harper Ross legal thriller series into KU. I unfortunately cannot put Bad Faith in there, because I stupidly uploaded it to Kobo and put it into the Kobo Plus thing, which means that the book is married to Kobo for six whole months. Dummy me. But every other book from that series is going into KU. I've gotten minimal sales on other platforms - I've gotten some on iTunes, because they featured it, but I think that the series will do much better in KU than wide. At least until I can establish myself.

Fourth, I finally just asked my mailing list why they liked Broken, which is the series that has a good 7x the sell-through rate of my other series. My hunch was right - my readers like the slow-burn, lots-of-emotions-and-little-sex approach. I've tried to force-feed them erotic romance and they weren't having it. They also gave me feedback on why they liked the characters in that book. So, I am going to write some NA, because my base wants that from from me, and I have a better road-map on how to give them what they want.

I'll update some more as my changes are taking place. I'm experimenting with cross-promotions and Insta-freebie and trying to do better marketing. I'm not good at any of that stuff, because I get way too distracted. But I'm going to try to devote at least an hour or so a day doing marketing things.

Thanks again guys!!!!!

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Offline daveconifer

• Atlantic City
    • View Profile
    • DaveConifer.com
Re: Looking for some encouragement...Update!
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
Way to go, Annie.  I've been following along.  You're too good at this to fail, glad to see you are righting the ship with hard work...

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
Way to go, Annie.  I've been following along.  You're too good at this to fail, glad to see you are righting the ship with hard work...

Aw, thanks Dave!!!! :)

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
Good news, indeed! Your six months in Kobo will eventually pass and it will be a whole new start.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
Good news, indeed! Your six months in Kobo will eventually pass and it will be a whole new start.

Thanks Gertie!

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
So glad things are moving in a productive direction!  :)

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »
So glad things are moving in a productive direction!  :)

Thanks, Becca! We'll see if it keeps moving in a good direction, but I'm hopeful. I'm getting the sequel to Bad Faith out before it hits the 30 day cliff, so hope it keeps it going. :)

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some encouragement...UPDATE!
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »
First, and this is most unusual - Nook is somehow moving. I cannot figure out why - I've checked my freebies through D2D, and all the free downloads are anemic. Yet the other books are selling. I've made $30 there just today, and it's not even noon. I made $64 all last month. As I said, I have no idea where these sales are coming from, but I'll take them!

Second, Bad Faith has somehow been doing well. Once again, a shout-out to the amazing John Ellsworth, who helped me launch it. It's sitting at 8,813 right now, at $2.99, not in KU, and I'm an unknown author in the genre. I'm quite grateful and happy with that - I figured that, once I made it $2.99, the sales would just die and I would end up making it a perma-free once Book Two drops, which is going to be early next month. Guess the algorithms helped out!

Third, I'm taking everyone's advice who told me to put the Harper Ross legal thriller series into KU. I unfortunately cannot put Bad Faith in there, because I stupidly uploaded it to Kobo and put it into the Kobo Plus thing, which means that the book is married to Kobo for six whole months. Dummy me. But every other book from that series is going into KU. I've gotten minimal sales on other platforms - I've gotten some on iTunes, because they featured it, but I think that the series will do much better in KU than wide. At least until I can establish myself.

Fourth, I finally just asked my mailing list why they liked Broken, which is the series that has a good 7x the sell-through rate of my other series. My hunch was right - my readers like the slow-burn, lots-of-emotions-and-little-sex approach. I've tried to force-feed them erotic romance and they weren't having it. They also gave me feedback on why they liked the characters in that book. So, I am going to write some NA, because my base wants that from from me, and I have a better road-map on how to give them what they want.

Wow! This is all great to see, Annie! You go!

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
Wow! This is all great to see, Annie! You go!

Thanks Sarah!

Offline Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »
I'm so glad to hear it, Annie!

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
Glad to hear things are moving! Hope they continue to improve!

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
I'm so glad to hear it, Annie!

Thanks Stacy! :)

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Glad to hear things are moving! Hope they continue to improve!

Thanks Carolyn! Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Offline sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
Hi, Annie -- I've watched this thread with interest and commiseration. I'm glad you are starting to feel like you are going in the right direction. That's heartening! This thread has been so instructive and constructive. I feel like a lot of what you have experienced is what I have gone through as well. So thanks for posting!

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
Oh, good news! Hope it keeps going up for you.

I've been told you can get out of that Kobo thing if you give a month's written notice. I'm against that whole six months in thing, though some seem to be over the moon about it (which is odd, seeing how so many complain about Amazon's 90 days).
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »
Lots of good vibes are coming your way. They must be doing their job. ;)

Online MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »
This is a great thread, not just the OP, but all the thoughtful contributions. I'm in a bit of a down period as well, although I've been very very lucky to have one thing or another prop me up since I started in 2011. And I do mean lucky. Some of those things had little to do with any of my efforts, except that by continuing to produce work I've stayed in the game.

That's my only real piece of wisdom. There are a lot of things out of our control, a number of things that are semi-in our control, but one big thing we can control. That is our output. One thing I realized a few years ago was that I'd never forgive myself if I had to go back looking for a job because I hadn't put in full time hours as a writer.

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Hi, Annie -- I've watched this thread with interest and commiseration. I'm glad you are starting to feel like you are going in the right direction. That's heartening! This thread has been so instructive and constructive. I feel like a lot of what you have experienced is what I have gone through as well. So thanks for posting!

Thanks Sela! You've been so helpful to everybody on the board. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Oh, good news! Hope it keeps going up for you.

I've been told you can get out of that Kobo thing if you give a month's written notice. I'm against that whole six months in thing, though some seem to be over the moon about it (which is odd, seeing how so many complain about Amazon's 90 days).

That's so good to know! Unfortunately, Kobo is featuring the book next month in one of their promos, so I think I'm stuck all the way around. That's fine, though. Once the sales start to die down, I'll make it permafree. I might make it permafree anyhow right before the next one drops (April 8). That way I can launch the next one well. I wish I could put it in KU and do some free days with it, so I can page reads, too, but I think I'm stuck. Live and learn! 

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
Lots of good vibes are coming your way. They must be doing their job. ;)

Thanks Sheryl!!!!

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:26 PM »
This is a great thread, not just the OP, but all the thoughtful contributions. I'm in a bit of a down period as well, although I've been very very lucky to have one thing or another prop me up since I started in 2011. And I do mean lucky. Some of those things had little to do with any of my efforts, except that by continuing to produce work I've stayed in the game.

That's my only real piece of wisdom. There are a lot of things out of our control, a number of things that are semi-in our control, but one big thing we can control. That is our output. One thing I realized a few years ago was that I'd never forgive myself if I had to go back looking for a job because I hadn't put in full time hours as a writer.

Oh, I agree. I'm increasing my output by quite a lot. I already have Book Two in my legal thriller series dropping early next month and I plan on getting a shortish (around 70,000 words) NA book out late next month. I've never written this fast before - I usually need at least two months to get something out, and I usually take several weeks off after writing a book. I'm really pushing myself now. I figure that's the only way to get back in the game unless I can get a BookBub or two this year (not holding my breath).

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
I've decided to concentrate on the legal thrillers for now. I committed myself by putting Book Two up for a pre-order, publication date April 8, so there's no turning back now! I'm not sure if that's the right decision - it seems like every decision I make is the wrong one. We'll just have to see! I'm shelving NA romance for now. I do plan on writing ten books this year, but it might be 10 legal thrillers. Writing those comes natural to me. :) Thanks for checking in!

Yay, sounds like you are back on track. Or at least back on one track. That's the beauty of indie, we can swerve when we need to.
I'm doing loads of soul searching and experimenting right now and sometimes I feel lost, and then I get moments of blinding clarity where I know what I need to do and that it's right. It sounds to me like you've had a few of these moments over the last couple of weeks and they really help.

I think the perma-free lead in is a great idea. Don't worry about everyone on the other platforms, you aren't writing for them right now. You have to get your business head on and just see the benefit of having that book wide to price match it. You can always load it up with no indication that there are others in the series and keep the back matter really brief with no links.

And Valerie is so right about romance, it's smart to have a popular niche to be able to make waves in, I'll keep watching with interest. x

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2017, 06:01:47 PM »
Great going!

(I discovered this thread only with your update, so I got the positive ending for it right away...)

I think this thread is inspiring for anyone who is in any kind of slump. I have had to step back from writing for about two years because of family issues, and somehow your original post here, with it's frankness and positivity was very encouraging for me, even if you posted it in need of encouragement yourself. 

Camille

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
Yay, sounds like you are back on track. Or at least back on one track. That's the beauty of indie, we can swerve when we need to.
I'm doing loads of soul searching and experimenting right now and sometimes I feel lost, and then I get moments of blinding clarity where I know what I need to do and that it's right. It sounds to me like you've had a few of these moments over the last couple of weeks and they really help.

I think the perma-free lead in is a great idea. Don't worry about everyone on the other platforms, you aren't writing for them right now. You have to get your business head on and just see the benefit of having that book wide to price match it. You can always load it up with no indication that there are others in the series and keep the back matter really brief with no links.

And Valerie is so right about romance, it's smart to have a popular niche to be able to make waves in, I'll keep watching with interest. x

Thanks Stella! I've already gone back on my idea of only doing legal thrillers. I think I am going to do some NA books too. I now know why my readers like my Broken book, so I have a good road map on how to please them. We'll have to see how this plan goes! Hopefully by this time next year I'll have pulled myself out of my slump and I can make another posting on how I did it! :)

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Great going!

(I discovered this thread only with your update, so I got the positive ending for it right away...)

I think this thread is inspiring for anyone who is in any kind of slump. I have had to step back from writing for about two years because of family issues, and somehow your original post here, with it's frankness and positivity was very encouraging for me, even if you posted it in need of encouragement yourself. 

Camille

I'm glad I could inspire you!!!!