Author Topic: Looking for some encouragement...Update!  (Read 11833 times)  

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
Re: Looking for some encouragement...Update!
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Great going!

(I discovered this thread only with your update, so I got the positive ending for it right away...)

I think this thread is inspiring for anyone who is in any kind of slump. I have had to step back from writing for about two years because of family issues, and somehow your original post here, with it's frankness and positivity was very encouraging for me, even if you posted it in need of encouragement yourself. 

Camille

I'm glad I could inspire you!!!!

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
Yay! I hope things keep turning up for you, Annie!

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
Yay! I hope things keep turning up for you, Annie!

Thanks Crystal!!!! :) Congrats on doing so well!!!

Offline katygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
Congratulations Annie!

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »
Congratulations Annie!

Thanks Katy! :)

Online Evenstar

• Bristol, UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2017, 02:55:46 AM »
Thanks Stella! I've already gone back on my idea of only doing legal thrillers. I think I am going to do some NA books too. I now know why my readers like my Broken book, so I have a good road map on how to please them. We'll have to see how this plan goes! Hopefully by this time next year I'll have pulled myself out of my slump and I can make another posting on how I did it! :)

Yes, I'm convinced it's the smart move. Legal thrillers are a popular niche and you have the skills to write them.
Also, it's nice that you have the NA stuff to give you some balance if you feel you need it. It can get draining writing all the same sort of stuff, so you can take a break from Legal (which I think will be your bread and butter) and do something a bit lighter whenever you are getting burned out. I'll definitely be watching for the "one year later" post. I'm about to make one of those myself!!

Offline Susanne123

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »
Annie, thanks so much for posting. I've read this entire thread in one go, and I'm in awe of the helpful and sincere advice and suggestions you've been given. Best of luck in your new path.

To everyone who posted, many thanks!

Offline JohnBanks

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
How is Annie doing?

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
Well! My first two books of my legal thriller series have hung out in the 4,000-10,000 range with no promotion and the third one drops in a week.  I've increased my writing speed to 8,000-10,000 words per day (I used to struggle to get 3,000 words in a day), so I hope to get at least one legal thriller out a month for the rest of the year, to keep things going. I'm going to intersperse some NA romance in there as well.

Increasing my production speed has made a ton of difference. Getting the initial boost from John Ellsworth was what started things going. I didn't think that I could stick like this - I've never been able to before without promo.

I think that I'm doing better because I'm not in a saturated genre anymore. Legal thrillers are popular, but it's not crazy saturated like romance.

So, yeah, I'm feeling hopeful again!

Online Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Wow, Annie! You're really putting your nose to the grindstone. I'm impressed, and I know you will see results. That level of sales without promotion tells you the quality of your writing is definitely there, too.

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
Well! My first two books of my legal thriller series have hung out in the 4,000-10,000 range with no promotion and the third one drops in a week.  I've increased my writing speed to 8,000-10,000 words per day (I used to struggle to get 3,000 words in a day), so I hope to get at least one legal thriller out a month for the rest of the year, to keep things going. I'm going to intersperse some NA romance in there as well.

Increasing my production speed has made a ton of difference. Getting the initial boost from John Ellsworth was what started things going. I didn't think that I could stick like this - I've never been able to before without promo.

I think that I'm doing better because I'm not in a saturated genre anymore. Legal thrillers are popular, but it's not crazy saturated like romance.

So, yeah, I'm feeling hopeful again!

First off, this is really heartening to hear! I'm glad your new genre is working out!

And secondly, that is an impressive increase in daily word count. Got any tips? I've read a few of the books (Chris Fox, 2k to 10k, etc) and none really seem to resinate with me. Do you have a "day job" while still hitting that word count? Do you find it hard to juggle around it?

Also, congrats!

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Offline JeanneM

• East Coast
    • View Profile
    • The Pet Medium
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
I'm so happy to hear you sounding and feeling so hopeful, Annie. You are much loved around these parts, so this is good news for all. :)

Offline Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »
Great news!

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
Great news, Annie! Thrillers are the way to go right now, it seems like. I just got accepted for a second Bookbub in two months, and this one is for another of my thrillers with only 12 reviews (4.3 average). I'm thinking Bookbub is really into thrillers right now, especially since my books are only in KU, or why else would they accept them? Btw, I'm impressed that you crank out 8-10 K/day. I'm struggling with 3k:)

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Wow, Annie! You're really putting your nose to the grindstone. I'm impressed, and I know you will see results. That level of sales without promotion tells you the quality of your writing is definitely there, too.

Thanks, Sheryl! I've been pretty happy because I really didn't expect to do well out of the gate. I'm not exactly killing it, but I'm heartened because I haven't used promos yet, which means that I can save my firepower for when I get more books in the series.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:37:47 PM by anniejocoby »

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »
First off, this is really heartening to hear! I'm glad your new genre is working out!

And secondly, that is an impressive increase in daily word count. Got any tips? I've read a few of the books (Chris Fox, 2k to 10k, etc) and none really seem to resinate with me. Do you have a "day job" while still hitting that word count? Do you find it hard to juggle around it?

Also, congrats!

Yes, so glad you asked! I was actually going to start a thread about this. But there's an app that has literally changed my life. It's free, too - it's called "FocusWatch." Basically, with the free version, the timer is set at 24 minutes, and then you have a four minute break. After three rounds of this, you get a 14 minute break.

This silly app has focused me like nobody's business. While the timer is running, my fingers are flying. I've found that I can bang out between 1,000 and 1,200 words for every 24 minute period. It's the strangest thing, too - because of writing this way, 8,000-10,000 daily words feel more effortless than 3,000 words did before. There's something psychological about doing things this way.

Because my production speed has increased, I feel like I can almost get one long legal thriller out a month (100,000 words) and one NA romance out a month (70,000-80,000 words). I'll see how it goes, but that's my goal.

Try it! I call it my "one weird trick for upping production speed." :)

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
I'm so happy to hear you sounding and feeling so hopeful, Annie. You are much loved around these parts, so this is good news for all. :)

Aw, thanks! That's so sweet! :)

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
Great news, Annie! Thrillers are the way to go right now, it seems like. I just got accepted for a second Bookbub in two months, and this one is for another of my thrillers with only 12 reviews (4.3 average). I'm thinking Bookbub is really into thrillers right now, especially since my books are only in KU, or why else would they accept them? Btw, I'm impressed that you crank out 8-10 K/day. I'm struggling with 3k:)

Thanks! You know, there's another KBoarder who said the same thing - she got her psychological thriller accepted in the Crime Fiction section with only 12 reviews. It hit the USA Today list with that ad. She encouraged me to try, so I did, but I really didn't want one this soon - I would prefer to hit BB when I have 4-5 books out. I will say that it took slightly longer for them to reject me for that ad than usual - I have no idea if that means anything at all. But I'm definitely going to try it again once I get several books out and put everything in KU - that's my plan by September.

Congrats on the BookBub? Free or paid?

Oh, and BTW, if you want to know my secret to upping my production speed, read the post right before this one. That little app has truly changed my life!

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »
Congrats! Glad that law degree is working out for you.  ;)

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »
Congrats! Glad that law degree is working out for you.  ;)

:) Glad it's good for something anymore! I did practice for 11 years, though, so it came in handy back in the day, too.

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
Thanks! You know, there's another KBoarder who said the same thing - she got her psychological thriller accepted in the Crime Fiction section with only 12 reviews. It hit the USA Today list with that ad. She encouraged me to try, so I did, but I really didn't want one this soon - I would prefer to hit BB when I have 4-5 books out. I will say that it took slightly longer for them to reject me for that ad than usual - I have no idea if that means anything at all. But I'm definitely going to try it again once I get several books out and put everything in KU - that's my plan by September.

Congrats on the BookBub? Free or paid?

Oh, and BTW, if you want to know my secret to upping my production speed, read the post right before this one. That little app has truly changed my life!

I was wondering how you wrote so much. Thanks for sharing! Will definitely try it. Both my ads were free. First one was for April 3 (a psychological stand-alone thriller). I'm still having a tail. Will make about 5K this month because of the ad. (lately have only been making btwn 500-1k). The next ad is for the first in my crime thriller/police procedural series and will run May 29. Have two more in the series. Hopefully that app will enable me to crank out a fourth soon:0

Offline N. D. Iverson

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
Yes, so glad you asked! I was actually going to start a thread about this. But there's an app that has literally changed my life. It's free, too - it's called "FocusWatch." Basically, with the free version, the timer is set at 24 minutes, and then you have a four minute break. After three rounds of this, you get a 14 minute break.

This silly app has focused me like nobody's business. While the timer is running, my fingers are flying. I've found that I can bang out between 1,000 and 1,200 words for every 24 minute period. It's the strangest thing, too - because of writing this way, 8,000-10,000 daily words feel more effortless than 3,000 words did before. There's something psychological about doing things this way.

Because my production speed has increased, I feel like I can almost get one long legal thriller out a month (100,000 words) and one NA romance out a month (70,000-80,000 words). I'll see how it goes, but that's my goal.

Try it! I call it my "one weird trick for upping production speed." :)

I will be checking that app out asap! Thanks!

Just call me the thread killer.
N. D. Iverson | Author Website

Online anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2017, 01:48:29 PM »
I was wondering how you wrote so much. Thanks for sharing! Will definitely try it. Both my ads were free. First one was for April 3 (a psychological stand-alone thriller). I'm still having a tail. Will make about 5K this month because of the ad. (lately have only been making btwn 500-1k). The next ad is for the first in my crime thriller/police procedural series and will run May 29. Have two more in the series. Hopefully that app will enable me to crank out a fourth soon:0

Thanks for the encouragement, and congrats on the BookBubs! Back to back...awesome! I haven't been able to get any BookBub for anything at all for over a year, but when I've done them, they've been dynamite. Sounds like they like you, too!

Good luck and be sure and check back on how your next BookBub does! I'm excited about the prospect that they might start taking me again with my change in genre. I'll have to see!

Check out the app, and PM me with your results. It might not work for everyone, but it sure works for me!

Online sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
Annie, congrats! It's so heartening to know you can move to another genre and your skills transfer. You proven that if you can write, you can write.

I have a dream of writing a psychological thriller -- it's  been on my to-do list for years and I have it generally outlined but have been afraid to spend the time away from my romance audience. Maybe I'll take a month and take a risk. That worked out well for me before when I took a chance and wrote my bestseller, but it's nail biting.

I've also upped my writing speed to 5,000 a day from 3,000. It's felt pretty effortless so far with two days writing and one day off. If I upped it to 7,500 words a day, I could crank out a few books pretty quickly.

I use the 5,000 Words an Hour app by Chris Fox. I do 25 mins writing sprint and then take 5 to get up, walk around, heat up my coffee. Then another 25 mins etc until my word count is done. If I know where I'm going, with a chapter outline, I can do it.

Maybe I'll join you in a transition to thrillers!

Keep up the great work and keep us updated. :)