Author Topic: Storage Issues  (Read 252 times)  

Offline takeusername

• View Profile
Storage Issues
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »
I've been having some issues with the storage on my Fire. It's a Fifth Generation, and despite the addition of an SD card and deleting virtually everything, it still remains in critical storage; in fact, whenever I do delete something to clear up space, it seems to add. Not to mention that there are some things that I'll delete and they simply don't go away; some will even return after a couple days.

At that, it generally just seems to fluctuate at will. I've managed to download an app that would clear out files and another to search for viruses. No viruses turned up, and the app for deleting things did so to virtually everything. There's more or less nothing left on here, except for those few that just won't delete.

Does anyone have any help?

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Re: Storage Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
I don't have a real answer for you but it might help to understand how storage works in Android devices.  It gets partitioned so that in effect you have a drive for applications and another for a few other things and the rest of your storage is just for whatever else needs it.  In the Fire you also have the option of moving your apps to the micro SD card.  That puts the app there but not it's private data.  So moving it to the card does help some, but apps vary in how much data they store.  If you have games some of those tend to have a LOT of data.

One thing you might do is go into settings and applications and look at just how much data is stored for each app and then use that to make decisions about what apps to keep.  Some with a lot of data will be important.  Others less so and they might be replaced with other apps that use less.

It's kind of a never ending process.

The real answer is more built in storage.  If you have an 8 gig model next time get a 16 gig model or a 32 gig model.  That won't help you right now but down the road it might.

Barry