KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: Invite email to prime reading?  (Read 1061 times)  

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
Invite email to prime reading?
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
Anyone else ever received an email from Amazon inviting them to agree to have their book in prime reading for 90 days for a one time payment at the end of it?

From what i can gather from the email is that my book would still remain in KU and any sales or page readers over those 90 days i will get as i usually do but instead of getting royalities from prime reading, i would just get one lump sum at the end of the 90 days.

Is that correct?

If that's so, i think thats quite nice. It basically means an extra lump sum for doing nothing on top of my regular sales and ku reads from that book.

And has anyone else had this invite? I've seen some people say its $500 and others say $1000 the lump sum?

Did you get yours at the end?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:09:11 PM by lostones »

Offline mach 5

• Don't mind me - just here to procrastinate
    • View Profile
Re: Invite email to prime reading?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »
There is a thread here - http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,242575.msg3378562.html#msg3378562

Maybe more than one thread. May not answer your question, but it gives you some users who might be willing to have their brain picked but may not see your query.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
I've had two books in the program. If you get a nice lump sum for the books (some people are paid more than others to participate) then it's okay. I've not noticed the books themselves gaining a bunch of extra money for me while in the program.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Shalini Boland

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
Yes, just received the email. As long as we're still getting unit sales and page reads, it sounds like a nice bonus. I can't see any downside. But I'm keen to hear from others who've done this before.

Shalini Boland | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | New Releases

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
I've had two books in the program. If you get a nice lump sum for the books (some people are paid more than others to participate) then it's okay. I've not noticed the books themselves gaining a bunch of extra money for me while in the program.

Was the amount $500 at the end and did you see it at the end of 90 days?

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »
Yes, just received the email. As long as we're still getting unit sales and page reads, it sounds like a nice bonus. I can't see any downside. But I'm keen to hear from others who've done this before.

Yeah i can't see the downside to it. If we are still getting unit sales outside of prime, and page reads (both in for those who are prime and ku members, and out), then that extra amount at the end of 90 days seems like a bonus.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
They offer different amounts.

My book that's in there now has been ranked in the low 200's for the last couple weeks, so it's been great for visibility. I also got twice as much for that one as they're offering for this next round (a different book/series). However, since the current book is 4 years old, that's OK. There's really no downside.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »

My book that's in there now has been ranked in the low 200's for the last couple weeks, so it's been great for visibility. I also got twice as much for that one as they're offering for this next round (a different book/series). However, since the current book is 4 years old, that's OK. There's really no downside.

So they determine the amount. Is $500 on the low end but still worth it?

Offline Shalini Boland

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »

That's good to hear.

Shalini Boland | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | New Releases

Offline kemobullock

• Southern Mississippi
  • Are you talking to moi?
    • View Profile
    • Author M.L. Bullock
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
I did get that email. Since it's the first book in a series I'm hoping it boosts visibility to books behind it. Fingers crossed. :)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
So they determine the amount. Is $500 on the low end but still worth it?

I guess my thought is, from what I read here, any amount would be worth it as it doesn't change any current revenue streams for the book? So any amount is extra?  What amount of extra income would not be worth it?  Or, I guess, is there any constraint from joining that would make any amount a penalty?

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline djutmose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
I got the email and accepted a couple of weeks ago. My book isn't on the Prime Reading list yet though.
Do the books in Prime Reading only "refresh" every 90 days? I wish I had some idea when the 90 day period would start for me Amazon didn't say. Just wondering if anyone knows anything.

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
I got a sizable payment to include my book in PR. I've seen stable sales and borrows, though maybe a little decline from where it had been before PR, but my rank is better than what I would expect for the sales + borrows. There seems to be varying levels of promotion from Amazon's end. PR books they've boosted in their promos have done well, others not quite as much. $500 is on the lower end of what I've heard, though I've heard of some offered nothing.

Offline Robyn Wideman

• Shuswap, BC Can
    • View Profile
    • author website
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »
Got my invite today...

Signed up.

small payment, but totally worth is since it is book one of series.

Free PROMO   :P

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
Got my invite today...

Signed up.

small payment, but totally worth is since it is book one of series.

Free PROMO   :P

Agree with the promo. Lower payment amounts makes me wonder if they have realized performance of these titles and are adjusting payments downward. Before launch, they wouldn't have known actual impact and PR borrows.

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
Mine was in the first batch. It was a first in series book and it did help boost the series a bit. I was able to cut ads back 10-20% and still make 10% more, but it wasn't huge. I think it's worth it for a series book. For a standalone, it's harder to say.

Online Gator

• Half price? Tattoo a pegasus on each shoulder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »
I can't see any downside.

How about this?  The KOLL pages read don't count for 90 days because those Amazon Prime readers who aren't KU subscribers are reading the Kindle eBook in the Prime Reading Program instead.  If non-KU, Amazon Prime readers are a considerable portion of your fans, then the $500 or $1000 lump sum might not cover the half-cent per KENP and the All-Star bonuses for those three months you'd be missing.

Offline AYClaudy

• View Profile
    • Ashley Claudy
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
I got the email and accepted a couple of weeks ago. My book isn't on the Prime Reading list yet though.
Do the books in Prime Reading only "refresh" every 90 days? I wish I had some idea when the 90 day period would start for me Amazon didn't say. Just wondering if anyone knows anything.

That's where I'm at too. Got the email-- but not sure when/if it will start. And  they already sent me a payment for it which I thought came at the end of the books run...

Ashley Claudy | Facebook | Twitter | Website