Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors
KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: Read & Review is LIVE + FREE Freebie Promo: Free for authors, few spots left  (Read 2200 times)  

Offline edgeofspeech

• View Profile
This is a very generous offer and a wonderful opportunity. Thank you. Very much appreciated. Sent a book in for the R&R option.
science fiction, cyberpunk, thriller
Ron Bender | Official Website | Amazon

Offline mythsnake

• Powdered Toast Land
  • Lurking and Learning
    • View Profile
Thanks for your very generous offer! I've applied for Read and Review with one of my SF romances.

Feathered Serpent Books | Website | Facebook

Offline Viv Phoenix

• Riviera Maya
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the excellent clarification on what constitutes "offensive" content. It's helpful to know the issues. I ran into AMS content restrictions before they started allowing bare man chests.

Brava for your focus on correct genre categorization. Respecting readers with accurate genre labels creates a better environment for all of us.

Sure. I need to limit things that won't pass through Amazon or Facebook advertising bots, since I do targeted ads for a lot of the promos I run. If one book in a collage of 50 has a questionable cover, the ad will get yanked or denied, so I have to have limits on what can be on covers. For covers, they generally should not have outright nudity/bare breasts or explicit sexual content, and should not have a gun pointed at the reader or a massive amount of blood. I have to stay in line with what Amazon will allow in Ads (note that what Amazon allows in paid Ads is VERY different than what they allow on KDP books; they are much less tolerant of anything that's even borderline, and it just makes too much work for me if I have to swap out & recreate ads at the last second).

As for content, I'm absolutely fine with erotica, violence, potty mouths, all of which can happen in many genres. Books should be categorized with the proper primary genre, and as long as they are labeled correctly, readers will not complain. I want to ensure that all books are what they say they are, so it is more likely that readers will select it to review. I don't want an erotica book mis-labeled as romance, and then a reader leaves a negative review & is annoyed that they wasted time on erotica when they wanted a romance without detailed sex.  Same for books labeled Science Fiction, when it's actually a romance, because readers looking for a Science Fiction novel will be disappointed.

I haven't seen anything from you that I wouldn't take, Felicia, I think you're golden. And btw, I'm about to tag you in our FB group because you won the Free Promo from that author giveaway I did. Thank you so much for sharing & helping spread the word about our group.  ;D ;D
Author of high-heat romantic thrillers and New Adult books for adventurous readers. My High-heat Book Club News gives you free books, multi-author giveaways and exclusive previews. Writing from the Yucatan and Central America, with a home base in my original state, California.
My religion is kindness. The Dalai Lama
Viv Phoenix | Website | Newsletter | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Facebook | Paranormal Romances as Aly First, PNR & Fantasy

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
For the cover images, do you want the full-size image, or is there a preferred size?

Guy Riessen | website

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
It's a bit odd to "welcome" such a longstanding member, but this appears to be a thread dedicated to this particular cross-promo opportunity, so I'll go ahead and add the boilerplate. I'm sure ebbrown is perfectly aware of all this ...

Thank you Becca!  ;D 8)

Click the pic above to donate to my Plunge for Special Olympics NJ, or
Donate via RR Books & get a free promo + inclusion in the
January 1 Special Olympics Heroes Promotion

See details HERE (scroll down for the the RR Books Charity Listing for deets).

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the excellent clarification on what constitutes "offensive" content. It's helpful to know the issues. I ran into AMS content restrictions before they started allowing bare man chests.

Brava for your focus on correct genre categorization. Respecting readers with accurate genre labels creates a better environment for all of us.

Thanks Viv! Yes, the category thing is a pet peeve of mine, and I get a fair amount of emails from readers who appreciate the ease of finding correctly categorized books. Readers DEFINITELY let me know as well when something is categorized poorly.  This is even more important now with the Read & Review program, for both authors and readers.

For the cover images, do you want the full-size image, or is there a preferred size?
I prefer the full size image; I do not have any file size restrictions on the uploader. I do prefer covers that stick to the Amazon guidelines, as it helps make things easier and look more streamlined when covers are the same standard size. I recommend that authors use KDP suggested dimensions:
(from Amazon)
Dimensions
The ideal size of your cover art is a height/width ratio of 1.6:1. In pixels, this means that, for every 1,000 pixels in width, the image should be 1,600 pixels in height. To ensure the best quality for your image, particularly on high definition devices, the height of the image should be at least 2,500 pixels.

Ideal dimensions for cover files are 2,560 x 1,600. (this is the size that I use and recommend)

Important: The minimum image size allowed is 1,000 x 625 pixels. The maximum image size allowed is 10,000 x 10,000 pixels and your image must be less than 50M.

Size
Your cover image must be less than 50MB. Try to avoid compressing your files, as this can affect the quality of your cover when displayed on reading devices. We recommend saving your file with a minimum of 72 dots per inch (DPI).

As of today (3/22), there are 5 spots left for titles in the Read & Review Program, and about 40 spots left for the HOT 100 Free Books. The Hot 100 will run when it is full & authors will receive a notification email to share it on social media & send out to their subscribers. The Read & Review will likely open by Monday, & reviewer members will be sent a notification.

A huge shout out & thanks to all of those who have submitted!  8)

Offline dorihoxa

• View Profile
Finally got around to submitting my book for the Review Program. Can't wait to see the results  ;D

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
Finally got around to submitting my book for the Review Program. Can't wait to see the results  ;D

Awesome, you're in! The Read & Review is now full; still have a few spots left for the HOT 100.
I expect the R&R to be live early next week. The HOT 100 will go live when it is full.

Thank you to all the authors who submitted!  8) 8)

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
Exciting! This newb is looking forward to seeing what happens with both the R&R and the Hot 100 :)

Guy Riessen | website

Offline AkariaGale

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Is the Hot 100 full? I've suspended an IF campaign for now, but will start it up as soon as Hot 100 goes live.
Bite into a new adventure! www.akariagale.com

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
The Read & Review Program is now live! This program is for the member readers of the RR Books website and is not accessible by the general public.
To read more about the program or submit a book for a future listing, see the website here.
Thank you to all the participating authors!

Online Write.Dream.Repeat.

• Pro Book Design That Sells
    • View Profile
    • Write Dream Repeat Book Design
The Read & Review Program is now live! This program is for the member readers of the RR Books website and is not accessible by the general public.
To read more about the program or submit a book for a future listing, see the website here.
Thank you to all the participating authors!

Hello! So does this mean readers are going to have access to the books submitted to the R&R earlier, or has that been going on?

Ebook formatting starting at $30.00. Print typesetting starting at $55.00.
Colleen Sheehan | Write Dream Repeat Book Design

Offline JamieMarchant

• Author of Fantasy . . . And the Tortured Soul
    • View Profile

We do not accept any books with offensive content or explicit covers; if your cover does not pass Facebook/Amazon guidelines for ads, please do not submit. Submissions that do not meet the requirements will not be posted.

How do you define "offensive content"?

Author of Fantasy . . . and the tortured soul
Jamie Marchant | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter | Website | Twitter

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
Hello! So does this mean readers are going to have access to the books submitted to the R&R earlier, or has that been going on?

Yes, reader access just opened! When I checked this morning there were already 49 downloads, so far so good. I also emailed authors who submitted a listing with a link to register for the site so that they can view what the readers see. My goal is to run a tight ship and keep it accessible to those readers who truly will follow through with a review, while making it stress-free for reviewers without direct author intervention.

How do you define "offensive content"?

I need to limit things that won't pass through Amazon or Facebook advertising bots, since I do targeted ads for a lot of the promos I run. If one book in a collage of 50 has a questionable cover, the ad will get yanked or denied, so I have to have limits on what can be on covers. For covers, they generally should not have outright nudity/bare breasts or explicit sexual content, and should not have a gun pointed at the reader or a massive amount of blood. I have to stay in line with what Amazon will allow in Ads (note that what Amazon allows in paid Ads is VERY different than what they allow on KDP books; they are much less tolerant of anything that's even borderline, and it just makes too much work for me if I have to swap out & recreate ads at the last second).

Facebook is even more intolerant of anything sexually suggestive, but it is interesting that the more money I spend the easier they seem to be on me when I ask for a blocked ad to be reconsidered, haha. I had a book ad denied because it had the word "submission" in the title, with a cover that was completely benign. Crazy, I know, but it took me three tries and several hours to get the ad through the re-submission process. Ugh.

As for content, I'm absolutely fine with erotica, violence, potty mouths, all of which can happen in many genres. Books should be categorized with the proper primary genre, and as long as they are labeled correctly, readers will not complain. I want to ensure that all books are what they say they are, so it is more likely that readers will select it to review. I don't want an erotica book mis-labeled as romance, and then a reader leaves a negative review & is annoyed that they wasted time on erotica when they wanted a romance without detailed sex.  Same for books labeled Science Fiction, when it's actually a romance, because readers looking for a Science Fiction novel will be disappointed.

Offline FFJ

• View Profile
Thanks for doing this eb brown.

Will you be running the Hot 100 and Read & Review again?

I'd love to include my new release The Pursual especially as it's set to go free soon.

Thanks!

Offline mythsnake

• Powdered Toast Land
  • Lurking and Learning
    • View Profile
I followed the instructions in this morning's email to register at the website, but I can only view the Hot 100, not the R&R. Do I need to sign up for that under the R&R tab?

Feathered Serpent Books | Website | Facebook

Offline Pauline Creeden

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Pauline Creeden
I went to the R&R page today and signed up - but the part for the book image would only allow 10Kb instead of 10GB - which means the image is hugely pixelated :( hope you fix it, and I'd be happy to email a better cover image, too!

Online Write.Dream.Repeat.

• Pro Book Design That Sells
    • View Profile
    • Write Dream Repeat Book Design
Yes, reader access just opened! When I checked this morning there were already 49 downloads, so far so good. I also emailed authors who submitted a listing with a link to register for the site so that they can view what the readers see. My goal is to run a tight ship and keep it accessible to those readers who truly will follow through with a review, while making it stress-free for reviewers without direct author intervention.

Wonderful, thank you!

Ebook formatting starting at $30.00. Print typesetting starting at $55.00.
Colleen Sheehan | Write Dream Repeat Book Design

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
Thanks for doing this eb brown.

Will you be running the Hot 100 and Read & Review again?

I'd love to include my new release The Pursual especially as it's set to go free soon.

Thanks!

No problem! I will be running the HOT 100 again (there are still spots left if you want in on this one); the Read & Review is now live as well :)

I followed the instructions in this morning's email to register at the website, but I can only view the Hot 100, not the R&R. Do I need to sign up for that under the R&R tab?
Yes, for the R&R you do need to sign up under the R&R tab; we go over new R&R membership requests and send out an invite usually within 1-2 days. I will check it today & update so you can get in. :)

I went to the R&R page today and signed up - but the part for the book image would only allow 10Kb instead of 10GB - which means the image is hugely pixelated :( hope you fix it, and I'd be happy to email a better cover image, too!
Thanks Pauline! I removed the limit & I will pull your cover from Amazon to make sure it's the best. Thanks for letting me know!

Wonderful, thank you!
  8) 8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:24:33 AM by ebbrown »

Offline FFJ

• View Profile
No problem! I will be running the HOT 100 again (there are still spots left if you want in on this one); the Read & Review is now live as well :)
Yes, for the R&R you do need to sign up under the R&R tab; we go over new R&R membership requests and send out an invite usually within 1-2 days. I will check it today & update so you can get in. :)
 Thanks Pauline! I removed the limit & I will pull your cover from Amazon to make sure it's the best. Thanks for letting me know!
  8) 8)

Thx! I submitted my book, The Pursual, yesterday. Did you get the submission? Off to check out the Read & Review some more. Thanks again for this opportunity especially for new authors like myself!

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
Thx! I submitted my book, The Pursual, yesterday. Did you get the submission? Off to check out the Read & Review some more. Thanks again for this opportunity especially for new authors like myself!
No problem ~ I see you, you're all set! As soon as it's filled, it will go live & I'll send an alert out to all the authors. 8) 8)

Offline FFJ

• View Profile
No problem ~ I see you, you're all set! As soon as it's filled, it will go live & I'll send an alert out to all the authors. 8) 8)

Thanks so much.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac