Author Topic: Sending out lone print review copies from Amazon, Createspace or Ingram at cost?  (Read 361 times)  

Offline mindfu

• View Profile
    • jimbeach.net - the number one source for information on Jim Beach
Hi everyone,

I looked around for how to do this and didn't see a recent description of it. I have just uploaded a novel to Createspace and ordered the max of 5 copies for myself. I'd like to start sending print copies to various outlets for review on request, and I'd like to avoid the extra cost, time and hassle of shipping them to me just to ship them out again.

Is there a way for me to order individual copies shipped at cost to specific addresses for reviews, besides doing each one as a separate new address being added to my profile in Createspace?

Such as something involving discount codes or similar that I use to order my own book via Amazon, or something else like that?

Thanks. : )
James Beach | http://jimbeach.net

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
Not as far as I'm aware. Drop-shipping from your CS Dashboard is likely your best option. But in the proof stage, I believe you're limited to one order, then you'd have to reupload the files and resubmit for review in order to reset the proof order option.

Some people set up a duplicate title with a free CS ISBN and approve that one (with no sales channels enabled) in order to drop-ship ARCs. That way they don't have to approve the real title and set the publication date until they're ready.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
Yes, you can set up discount codes with CreateSpace and ship books to your reviewers at a major discount. We just finished doing that with four authors for a promotion. As with most things on CS, it's not transparent. Its' a two-step process. You check your order price on createspace (dashboard -> order copies) and subtract it from your list price, and then generate a code with that discount in dollars.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline mindfu

• View Profile
Thanks so much! I will look into that route.

• View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
Yes, you can set up discount codes with CreateSpace and ship books to your reviewers at a major discount. We just finished doing that with four authors for a promotion. As with most things on CS, it's not transparent. Its' a two-step process. You check your order price on createspace (dashboard -> order copies) and subtract it from your list price, and then generate a code with that discount in dollars.
Do you mean you give the discount code to the reviewer and let them order the book themselves (requiring them to create a CS account)? Is that actually effective? Do reviewers actually do that? If that's not what you mean, then I guess I'm confused. If you're ordering the book yourself through the eStore with a discount code, that wouldn't be cheaper or more efficient than drop-shipping directly from your dashboard.

Okey Dokey

There are some POD printers that will print 1 copy at a time for about $5 (depending on page length) and ship it to your customer.
You would need your own ISBN so it would not conflict with a Createspace  etc. ISBN

Offline mindfu

• View Profile
That's great! Do you have a particular POD printer you can recommend? I have my own ISBN for print.

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
Do you mean you give the discount code to the reviewer and let them order the book themselves (requiring them to create a CS account)? Is that actually effective? Do reviewers actually do that? If that's not what you mean, then I guess I'm confused. If you're ordering the book yourself through the eStore with a discount code, that wouldn't be cheaper or more efficient than drop-shipping directly from your dashboard.
We've used the codes so one person can buy multiple authors' books to send to a contest winner. I'm sure there are other uses.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

• View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
We've used the codes so one person can buy multiple authors' books to send to a contest winner. I'm sure there are other uses.
That's not really the same thing. It was my understanding that the OP was referring to sending ARCs herself to reviewers. Using CS eStore discount codes wouldn't really work for this purpose, as it wouldn't cost less than drop-shipping directly from the Dashboard (it would actually cost more), and would actually be a more involved process.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
That's not really the same thing. It was my understanding that the OP was referring to sending ARCs herself to reviewers. Using CS eStore discount codes wouldn't really work for this purpose, as it wouldn't cost less than drop-shipping directly from the Dashboard (it would actually cost more), and would actually be a more involved process.

Yeah. The CS option is great for cheaper distribution but I don't think that is what she is after.