Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors
KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: 47,000 page reads and a low #700 BSR? What?!  (Read 1952 times)  

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
47,000 page reads and a low #700 BSR? What?!
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »
I have a question about Sales Rank.

I released my book earlier this month. Still a few weeks away from the 30 day cliff. Although I have plunged a couple of hundred spots in one day.

I'm pretty baffled by this as the book is still doing 47k pagereads per day. Which means, 204 people read the story from first to last page. My page reads to buy Ratio is about 4:1. So I also have recorded about 50 sales per day for the past few days. And yet my best seller rank has dropped to the low #700s.

How is this possible. Are these numbers really this bad it warrants such low ranking? In my mind I should be ranking much better.... although admittedly I have no clue what numbers it takes to maintain good rankings.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:35:08 AM by MajesticMonkey »

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
Re: 47,000 page reads and a low #700 BSR? What?!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Page reads have nothing to do with rank. People could've borrowed the book days (or weeks) ago and are just now getting around to reading it. Rank is registered when the book is borrowed, not when the pages are read.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Are you talking 700 or 700,000?
700 is a good ranking. 700,000 not so much.
Lower rankings indicate steady sales. Higher rankings indicate slower or nonexistent sales. 50 sales per day is good. 46K page reads per day is good.
If you google search "kindle rank calculator" you'll find a lot of handy info.

Click the pic above to donate to my Plunge for Special Olympics NJ, or
Donate via RR Books & get a free promo + inclusion in the
January 1 Special Olympics Heroes Promotion

See details HERE (scroll down for the the RR Books Charity Listing for deets).

Offline AliceW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Pages read has nothing to do with rank. It's the borrow that triggers a rank boost. Since Amazon does not disclose borrows, you have no idea how many people or when they borrowed your title.

Also not sure why you are complaining you have dropped to a rank of 700 in the entire store, many authors will stack promos with the hope of breaking that high.

Offline Sonya Bateman

• Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »
Amanda, E.B. and Alice are right. It's pretty much impossible to predict rank, especially in KU where you have borrows you can't track (because it's the actual borrow, not the page reads, that trigger rank).

BUT. Just to give you a bit of hope that you're not crazy... I do think there's some issue with ranking on Amazon right now. I also have a new release, a few weeks out, that's been holding steady around 3K since release with average 25 sales plus unknown borrows a day, and two scattered days of sales spikes. However, yesterday and today I have actual promos going on, and my sales (and presumably borrows) have been much higher than my (admittedly short-term) historical average. But my rank is still bouncing around the 3K range -- it's not improving at all, and it should be.

Unfortunately, if this really is an issue, there's jack-all to be done about it. It could still be a non-issue, just another mysterious algorithm thing ... but I do think there's something wrong.

Amazon will probably fix it eventually (if it's really a problem). They generally do. Meanwhile... hooray, we're helpless to fix it. :P

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone here. ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:17:24 PM by Sonya Bateman »
Credentials: I used to write stuff.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »

BUT. Just to give you a bit of hope that you're not crazy... I do think there's some issue with ranking on Amazon right now. I also have a new release, a few weeks out, that's been holding steady around 3K since release with average 25 sales plus unknown borrows a day, and two scattered days of sales spikes. However, yesterday and today I have actual promos going on, and my sales (and presumably borrows) have been much higher than my (admittedly short-term) historical average. But my rank is still bouncing around the 3K range -- it's not improving at all, and it should be.

No promo or releases at all lately and I'm not in KU - so sales have been slow enough I can track the sale/sales-rank lag time. There have def been a few days when it was a loooong wait.

Offline Sonya Bateman

• Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
No promo or releases at all lately and I'm not in KU - so sales have been slow enough I can track the sale/sales-rank lag time. There have def been a few days when it was a loooong wait.

LOL yep, this is a very long wait. 30 hours or so and counting... :P

The thing that makes me suspect it's an actual problem is that the rank *is* changing. It's not frozen. It keeps bouncing around in the 3,000 - 3,500 range, which it's been doing since pretty much day 2 after it went live (where it settled after a brief spike to 1,500-ish from my mailing list sales). But that's with a fairly steady average sales -- yesterday I had more than double the average sales, and today I've already almost reached yesterday's sales total. And my rank is *still* hovering right in this same range. It really should have at least kicked over into the 2K range somewhere by now, if not 1K.

Very frustrating, and nothing I can do about it. I did want to hit some HNR charts, but whatever is doing this, looks like I won't make it. Sigh.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:28:02 PM by Sonya Bateman »

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Is the OP a complaint, or a brag?

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline RomanceAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »
So I also have recorded about 50 sales per day for the past few days. And yet my best seller rank has dropped to the low #700s.

You must have a LOT of KU borrows. For a non-KU book it takes about 150-300 sales to maintain a 700 rank (300 to reach it most likely).

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
Is the OP a complaint, or a brag?
I apologize if this came across as a complaint or a brag, but it's neither. All I did was stated facts and asked a question, which many kindly offered their advice on.

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
Thanks Phoenix. I was looking for that in my bookmarks but couldn't find it. :)

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »
Thanks Phoenix. I was looking for that in my bookmarks but couldn't find it. :)

You're welcome. The numbers are from last year and from AE, but they're still holding pretty well, I believe. Keep in mind that the number to maintain likely comes by Week 3 or 4 of holding at a rank. Getting there appears to be a stepped process, something along the lines of 10% after 3-4 days at the rank, 20% Week 1, 30% Week 2, 40% Week 3 and then a plateau of 50% around Week 4. Something that chart by itself doesn't indicate.

Also, improving rank once you've been maintaining is little different from needing the numbers to hit to begin with. So, even if you've been holding at #3000 with 37 sales per day, if you want to hit a rank of #1500, you'll still need close to 100-120 sales/borrows to do it. You'll only be bonused a fraction trying to improve rank.

Offline Sonya Bateman

• Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
You're welcome. The numbers are from last year and from AE, but they're still holding pretty well, I believe. Keep in mind that the number to maintain likely comes by Week 3 or 4 of holding at a rank. Getting there appears to be a stepped process, something along the lines of 10% after 3-4 days at the rank, 20% Week 1, 30% Week 2, 40% Week 3 and then a plateau of 50% around Week 4. Something that chart by itself doesn't indicate.

Also, improving rank once you've been maintaining is little different from needing the numbers to hit to begin with. So, even if you've been holding at #3000 with 37 sales per day, if you want to hit a rank of #1500, you'll still need close to 100-120 sales/borrows to do it. You'll only be bonused a fraction trying to improve rank.

Huh. Well, now I'm a bit sad ... thought I was making progress on understanding all this, haha. Guess I'll be sticking here until the cliff, then. Oh, well, at least I didn't panic this time. Thanks for the explanation, Phoenix -- you're awesome, always so patient and willing to explain things! :)

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

This sounds about right. My recent release hit as high as 908 before falling back. Two weeks later, I'm in the mid-2,000s with between 12-22 sales per day and however many downloads it takes to average about 16,000 pages per day. Mid-day rankings are rather volatile. I'm not awake when Zon's reporting catches up. I've been "selling" a lot of books after I go to bed at night, so my highest rankings for the day are at 3 am.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline AlecHutson

• Shanghai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Your numbers align with what I was getting last month with page reads / sales, and I had about the same book rank. This month I've averaged 40k read a day and around 45 sales a day, and I'm around 1k in the store. So I think that's just about where you should be falling, actually.

Alec Hutson

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
  • Thriller and short story author
    • View Profile
    • author website for Edward G. Talbot
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
I can give you a data point for books on the low end. On 2/3, I started AMS ads and started selling a book which hadn't had a sale for six months and is not in KU. Day one I sold one book and day 2, I sold 4 books. Rank peaked at 44K. Since then it has been selling about 5 copies a week. It hits 57K-58K on days when it sells two copies. The book is $2.99 (which shouldn't impact rank, though I have heard some speculation that this may have changed in recent months).

So those numbers in the chart for 50K seem spot on.
Edward G. Talbot thrillers: Sometimes, everyone IS out to get you.