Author Topic: AMS Paperback sales?  (Read 312 times)  

Offline Colin Bundschu

• Ithaca, NY
  • Physics Grad Student
    • View Profile
    • Writing Blog
AMS Paperback sales?
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
I assume the sale numbers on AMS don't show sales from the Paperback or Hardcover versions, even if the products are linked. Has anyone figured out a way to track sales related to AMS ads from these versions?

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: AMS Paperback sales?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »
I assume the sale numbers on AMS don't show sales from the Paperback or Hardcover versions, even if the products are linked. Has anyone figured out a way to track sales related to AMS ads from these versions?
I've heard, but cannot confirm, that paperback sales do show on AMS, but since they aren't separated, it's hard to tell.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Colin Bundschu

• Ithaca, NY
  • Physics Grad Student
    • View Profile
    • Writing Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
I've heard, but cannot confirm, that paperback sales do show on AMS, but since they aren't separated, it's hard to tell.

Alright, I filed a support ticket asking for details. I'll report back with what they say.

Offline wheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »
My paperback sales show up on my AMS dashboard. I can tell by the price difference between it and the ebook. One of my books sells mostly paperbacks, thus easy for me to tell.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
Yep, paperback sales definitely show up on the AMS dashboard.  That's why if you're selling paperbacks, too, you need to be careful about looking at the ACoS value.
8 Pen Names.

Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Only NF titles under Cassie Leigh and M.L. Humphrey.

Offline dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »
Confirming as well that my paperback sales show up on my AMS dashboard.

And as Cassie said - remember your profit margin is likely smaller on a paperback, so beware of your ACoS value.

DC Swain | Author Website

Offline Colin Bundschu

• Ithaca, NY
  • Physics Grad Student
    • View Profile
    • Writing Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up! I will be sure to keep in mind the royalty rates between different formats when running ads. It would be really nice if you could just plug that in...  save us the headache.  ???

Offline wheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
And as Cassie said - remember your profit margin is likely smaller on a paperback, so beware of your ACoS value.

For me, my paperbacks normally reap a higher profit margin (ex: ebook: $2.06; paperback: $3.21). One title especially, due to that title's ebook version is 'fixed' format (ebook: $1.71; paperback: $2.38). The royalty for fixed format with Kindle as you can see sucks, lol. Also fixed format has a smaller audience since not all devices can read it. That majorly sucks.

Since my other (latest) pen names' books were taking priority with my writing time, that particular one-off book had been hibernating until I started the AMS ads mid-2016. I figured better to try it out and see if it helps with visibility than to just let it sit collecting dust.

Now it's almost a 'set and forget' one for me but here's my stats so far:
  • 5,189,061 Impressions
  • 4,758 Clicks
  • $0.02 ACPC
  • $78.52 Spend
  • $1,159.59 Total Sales
  • 6.77% ACoS
My royalties/profit is of course around a quarter of the total sales shown (since this one sells mostly the paperbacks), which is not much, but I'm satisfied with that for now, especially for a title that had lost visibility in 3 years, and not likely to do any better without adding more books to that pen name (which I can't do right now).

I do bid higher on my 'active' pen name's book though, so my ACoS isn't as low as the 'inactive' pen name's book, but because that book (first book in the series) leads to sales of my other books in the series and even my boxed set, my 'total' royalties and profits are much higher, so I'm not concerned about the higher ACoS (currently at 64%).

Depending on what the objective is, we have to look at the whole picture and derive our strategy on a case-by-case basis. So, not always should the ACoS be the determining factor on whether the campaign is successful or not, is what I'm sayin'. For me, the sales on the follow-on books for my series makes it worthwhile.

When I stop showing sales from my ad, then I'll rethink my AMS strategy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:44:26 PM by wheart »