by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 8023

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Kobo Aura 2nd Edition - Yay? Nay? Aura One?  (Read 539 times)  

Offline mdrake

• View Profile
Kobo Aura 2nd Edition - Yay? Nay? Aura One?
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
So I have a Voyage, which I love. I love it so much I'm tempted to buy a 2nd one just for reasons. I've had other Kindles. Zero regrets shelling out the money for the Voyage. Wish I had done it sooner.

However, I also buy plenty of books off Kobo and the dreaded Adobe DRM thwarts me periodically--I always seem to buy not remembering to check to see what formats are available. I can read using the Kobo app, but I hate reading on my phone/tablet/computer. There's also the issue of library lending. I also love gizmos and widgets.

I have been debating buying an Aura, but I notice the screen resolution is 212ppi and the reviews are a little spotty. I am picky about screen quality. Is the difference in resolution really pronounced, or is it acceptable given the $60/$99 (Ebay/Kobo) price point? I'm not afraid to make a few minor compromises.

I'm willing to consider an Aura One, but at $229 I am hesitant due to size/weight, and I'm not convinced that at $229 it would be equal to my Voyage. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Is an Aura 2nd going to satisfy (with a few compromises) a Voyage lover, or will I be disappointed and should avoid? Should I hold out for a used Aura One? Will I be disappointed over all and just suck it up and read on my tablet?

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage and Oasis owner
    • View Profile
Re: Kobo Aura 2nd Edition - Yay? Nay? Aura One?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.  Tempted to go ahead and buy it.  It's on sale now for $99 on the Kobo site.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:13:42 PM »
So I have a Voyage, which I love. I love it so much I'm tempted to buy a 2nd one just for reasons. I've had other Kindles. Zero regrets shelling out the money for the Voyage. Wish I had done it sooner.

However, I also buy plenty of books off Kobo and the dreaded Adobe DRM thwarts me periodically--I always seem to buy not remembering to check to see what formats are available. I can read using the Kobo app, but I hate reading on my phone/tablet/computer. There's also the issue of library lending. I also love gizmos and widgets.

I have been debating buying an Aura, but I notice the screen resolution is 212ppi and the reviews are a little spotty. I am picky about screen quality. Is the difference in resolution really pronounced, or is it acceptable given the $60/$99 (Ebay/Kobo) price point? I'm not afraid to make a few minor compromises.

I'm willing to consider an Aura One, but at $229 I am hesitant due to size/weight, and I'm not convinced that at $229 it would be equal to my Voyage. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Is an Aura 2nd going to satisfy (with a few compromises) a Voyage lover, or will I be disappointed and should avoid? Should I hold out for a used Aura One? Will I be disappointed over all and just suck it up and read on my tablet?

Due to my library changing over to ePub, which Kindle doesn't support, I was forced to purchase a different eReader to read library books. I love my Voyage, so this was tough for me. I purchased a Kobo Glo HD. It's "fine"🙄. It serves the purpose, but it's not in the same league as my Voyage. I wasn't willing to pay twice the amount for the Kobo Aura.😭

Offline luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »
I am really considering the aura one. I like the size. I wanted the kindle DX, but waited too long and it was discontinued.