Author Topic: An important heads-up regarding Books Butterfly  (Read 2991 times)  

Offline HieroHero

• View Profile
Re: An important heads-up regarding Books Butterfly
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »
That's pretty terrible, glad you got your refund. Did any of the 743 people who did download your book leave a review?

Timothy A. Price | Blog | Twitter

Offline benlovejoy

• London, England
  • Technothriller author
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 01:56:59 AM »
Yes, did at least get some reviews.

Offline Joss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:36 AM »
I did a Books Butterfly promo a while back. I don't remember the details, but I know they didn't deliver the guaranteed sales they'd promised, nor did they wish to issue a refund.

In the end, I forced a refund through Paypal.

Don't use these guys.

edited to comply with forum decorum; PM if you have questions. -- Ann
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:31:49 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 03:49:31 AM »
LOL. Their defense is "we're incompetent, we keep poor records of our business dealings, and we have a 'pics or it didn't happen' policy regarding any agreement we make with you."

Sorry, Books Butterfly, but the attitude you've displayed on this forum, in various threads, is more than enough to convince me to never use you. Your whole business comes across as so unprofessional.

I think this is uncalled for.

It seems to me that the response here makes it clear that BooksButterfly has heard the complaints and has decided to try to act to fix things. You failed to quote part of his response:

It's a process issue, and we'll be working to improve that process so that mix-ups like this one don't happen again. I hope everyone will keep the bottom line in mind: We always honor the guarantee.

To do that is a bit misleading, no?

It's fine if you're still wary of the service and would prefer not to use it. I wouldn't even blame a person who'd used the service and received different treatment not to trust this response completely.

But, in this case, the OP ultimately did get what was agreed to, and ireaderreview has provided an explanation for what happened without threat, accusation, or defensiveness. His response here IS completely professional.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Pizzazz

• "You live, you learn, and you upgrade." ~~ Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 06:27:54 AM »
LOL. Their defense is "we're incompetent, we keep poor records of our business dealings, and we have a 'pics or it didn't happen' policy regarding any agreement we make with you."

Sorry, Books Butterfly, but the attitude you've displayed on this forum, in various threads, is more than enough to convince me to never use you. Your whole business comes across as so unprofessional.

I got the most unprofessional email I've ever seen from Books Butterfly.  So I will never use them again.  In addition, I, too, have not been impressed by the attitude I've seen from Books Butterfly in various threads here at KBoards. (Not just this one.)  So you're not alone in your opinion.

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »
In general, NO SERVICE can "guarantee" you a fixed number of downloads, sales, or reviews. Nobody. You cannot guarantee something you have no control over. And no service has control over who will or won't download something.

Now a service can tell you what their averages are if they maintain good records, and those averages can be very useful.

A service can "guarantee" your ad will be sent to X number of subscribers because they know how many subscribers they have.

A service cannot "guarantee" that those subscribers will download Y number of copies because if those subscribers are real people, the service can't control their actions.

Just as a general bit of advice, you should always pay close attention to people who offer guarantees on things outside their own control.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Online A.G.Barnett

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »
In general, NO SERVICE can "guarantee" you a fixed number of downloads, sales, or reviews. Nobody. You cannot guarantee something you have no control over. And no service has control over who will or won't download something.

Now a service can tell you what their averages are if they maintain good records, and those averages can be very useful.

A service can "guarantee" your ad will be sent to X number of subscribers because they know how many subscribers they have.

A service cannot "guarantee" that those subscribers will download Y number of copies because if those subscribers are real people, the service can't control their actions.

Just as a general bit of advice, you should always pay close attention to people who offer guarantees on things outside their own control.

I agree in general, but i think in this case the 'guarantee' is more that if you don't sell as much as the figure they state, you get an in store credit (for want of a better term).

As far as I can tell, this is the only bit of their business which causes them trouble. I've used them before and they were good for me. I'm using them again in the summer.

Offline CEMartin2

• Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Stone Soldiers
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
Great thread. Wish it had started before I threw away $100 to Books Butterfly.

My own experiment with them is ongoing at http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=249982.msg3480028#msg3480028

Long story short, Gold package guarantees 1200 downloads. Since I previously (2014) got 14,000 downloads in one day at Bookbub, I didn't bat an eye at that. By day 4 of my Books Butterfly promo, I have a whopping 256 downloads. While I admit it's entirely possibly to get 944 downloads today, day 5, I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

I'll also note that nowhere in the signup and pay process did I know that by having previously been a Bookbubber, or that the book is permafree, I was eliminated from a refund. I found that out in an email sent AFTER I paid. In fact, that email came in on April 17th, the same day my promo had already started.

I'm in agreement with the OP on this thread and so many commenters: writer beware.

edited; send Pm if you have questions -- Ann
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:30:45 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 06:40:48 AM »

That's wonderful advice. It's especially true of review services. They can offer your book to their subscribers, but whether anyone chooses to review or not is a different story.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline ireaderreview

• Books Butterfly - Connecting Readers to Authors
    • View Profile
    • Books Butterfly Book Promotions (Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo)
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 11:00:25 AM »
What Mr. Barnett said:

I agree in general, but i think in this case the 'guarantee' is more that if you don't sell as much as the figure they state, you get an in store credit (for want of a better term).

As far as I can tell, this is the only bit of their business which causes them trouble. I've used them before and they were good for me. I'm using them again in the summer.

Yes, EXACTLY. Thank you for clarifying this

Think of the guarantee as

We'll bring a lot of horses to the water. Based on past trends we know that 1,000 to 2,000 horses will drink. So we guarantee 1,200 horses will drink (free book downloads)
If the horses don't drink

We'll run it again FOR NO CHARGE and send more horses so you get to a total of 1,200+ horses that drink

That's the guarantee.

Get 50 to 100 Sales for Your $1 Book! Get 2,000 to 5,000+ Downloads for your Free Run Books! Get 200 to 400+ Sales for Your $1 Box Set!

Books Butterfly | Free Book Promotion | Paid Book Promotion

Applies to Following Genres: Mysteries, Thrillers, Suspense, Romance, Christian, Non-Fiction, How To, Cookbooks, SciFi Thrillers, Memoirs, Romantic Erotica, Steamy Romance.
Please Note: We also promote in other genres.

Offline CEMartin2

• Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Stone Soldiers
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:13:48 AM »
*Unless it's a prior bookbub or is permafree. Fineprint you dont reveal at the time of ordering.

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 06:06:14 PM »
Unfortunately Bookbub won't advertise some of us. I've probably applied 20 or 25 times with no success.

I agree with Harvey. I have tried so many times over the years that I doubt I'll ever get one.