Kindle Oasis
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: The Failed Novelist [MERGED]  (Read 19600 times)  

Out_there

Re: The Failed Novelist
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
Whenever a person goes into the arts, whatever form that takes, most will experience tons of criticism and rejection, and it can do a number on a person's self-confidence and feelings of worth. Either a person develops a thick skin and tons of patience or they have to walk away.

I don't think the writer should be criticized for how they feel. There are very few Mother Theresa's out there, and it's only human to feel some envy and jealousy. Most of us get over that. I'm sure this person felt better just letting those feelings out.

The writer sounds talented. Maybe they'll toughen up and get back to writing. Or maybe not. Either way, I wish them a happy and fullfilled life.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
What an odd thing to share. What was her point? She lacks fortitude? She gives up when the going gets tough? Nobody loves her? Are we supposed to feel sorry for her? And what's with the other guy? Why does he care how she feels about her failed attempt? Or her overshare?

What a strange set of articles about nothing. I must be missing something. Are they both famous?

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
Are they both famous?

Nah. It's just the drama llama rearing its head.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline MKK

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »

That...was pretty darn funny.

Mark Kelly | Facebook

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »

Woah, I never knew a llama could look menacing.  :o

Now I want one!  :D

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »
From the article:

This. This is her problem. She raised the bar not just too high but impossibly high. Nothing less than perfection would do. And when her perfection tanked... so did her world.

I learned this lesson a long time ago: never to take anything in life too seriously. That's the only way to save your sanity and your dignity. After all, Dostoevsky never thought of himself as DOSTOEVSKY: he simply needed the money to pay off his gambling debts :)

Aha! so that's the secret to success. I'm off to buy a scratch off ticket and when I get back, there will be hundreds of sales on my dashboard.

"So, what are you looking at, buddy." I think I'll dream about that look tonight.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
Nothing less than perfection would do.

Yeah. I don' think she can separate herself from her writing. And that's something we need to do, because some anonymous editor or agent rejecting your work isn't a rejection of you. Literary fiction is a tough market, and it doesn't look like she really did any research about it, just wrote the "masterpieces" and waited for a big ol' bucket of validation. It's never worked that way. Never.

I'm sorry that she's hurt, but everybody gets hurt at some time or another. It's how you respond that shows who you are.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
She's not talking to us, she talking to other people who feel like her.

Writing takes a great deal of energy, and when anybody leaves it, they're going to have energy left over. They're aren't wrong for having hopes, dreams, ambitions, and unrealistic goals, and they certainly aren't wrong for writing about it. Rather than criticize, I praise her for her courage. Realizing that something isn't for you and admitting it takes courage, even if you aren't finished the transition. I get her anger and frustration, because I've been there in other venues. There are times when I just want to break bottles against this whole affair.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline doolittle03

• Quebec, Canada
  • don't distract me
    • View Profile
    • writing for her life
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
I felt like this when I was pursuing trade publishing. I was working in a book store when my agent let me know my second book had been rejected. I had to hide in the bathroom to bawl my eyes out. My boss wanted to know why I hadn't processed the new shipment. I just couldn't. I told her my book was rejected and she said "I gotta stop hiring writers."
I tiptoed into self-publishing in 2014 and thank God because I think I would've given up writing. If a thing is going to break your heart, you've got to pull the plug at some point. So much had been sacrificed to write those books--family time, income, my sanity--I doubt I would have gone on writing without SP. I would've made peace with failure and moved on.
(The 3 rejected books still don't sell very well but I don't give a crap. I like them, I'm glad I wrote them and I'm glad people can buy them.)

literary mystery and other stuff
Nadine Doolittle | writing for her life

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
This is not an April Fool, but a regular part of the Guardian. It is essentially a social media rant that should have stayed on social media. Those who take part are entered a Huffington Pact i.e., I doubt they are paid but they get a bigger audience for their rant and the Guardian gets clickbait. Most hope that this will gain them the notice of the Guardian and there is grounds for that hope as most of the paper's writers are little better than social media ranters. Unfortunately for the hopefuls the Guardian is near bankrupt and can't afford to take on new journalists.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
Yet another butthurt snowflake who has to vent her over-exaggerated angst about her hurt feelz because the rest of the world didn't immediately snap up her masterpiece.

Yes, she's a quitter. There are best selling, world famous authors who spent years accumulating scores of rejection slips by publishers before some editor finally realized what she had in her hands and snapped it up. And there's always indie publishing. But instead of sticking with it or learning to do it herself, she gave up and chooses to be snarky to the people who haven't given up on their dream.

And if she didn't want to be judged, maybe spewing her attitude in a public setting wasn't the way to go.
A butthurt snowflake? I agree with you, but thats a 4chan opening paragraph. Could just go for the trifecta and call her a SJW too.

Idk, I just hate those terms. It's like they're a catch-all for anyone who voices their displeasure. Everyone needs to toughen up, to purge their emotions, to realize that life is meaningless and that we don't matter, etc. Humans are insignificant creatures.

Just ranting. I agree with your point, just not the overused buzzwords. You could say that your reply "triggered" me :)

Offline Cheryl Douglas

• View Profile
    • www.cheryldouglasbooks.com
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »
Hard to imagine 'expecting' success after writing two books. I didn't think I even had the right to 'expect' to make a living until I'd written at least ten books. Oh well, this isn't the business for everyone.

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
"This planet hasor rather hada problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy."

Writer didn't make bank, so writer quit. Happens daily I'm sure, and anyway, room will eventually need to be made for that Hyperspace Bypass so it's all fairly pointless.

Cheers to you, Douglas Adams RIP

Guy Riessen | website

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
"If you judge a goldfish by its ability to climb a tree, it will life life forever thinking it is stupid" comes to mind. She's a goldfish that wanted to go to space, become a Jedi, fly an X-Wing, AND blow up the Death Star. Apparently, someone told her that Luke already did it. And then she found out there was a second Death Star built, but rather than take on the challenge, she decided to say "**** it" and settled for moisture farming on Tatooine.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Online LadyG

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • A Goode One
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 04:24:10 PM »
"This planet hasor rather hada problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy."

Writer didn't make bank, so writer quit. Happens daily I'm sure, and anyway, room will eventually need to be made for that Hyperspace Bypass so it's all fairly pointless.

Cheers to you, Douglas Adams RIP

Adams also said "You live and learn. At any rate, you live." I think that one kind of applies here, too. Good writers become better writers as we learn from our mistakes and even our failures.

Armed with nothing but coffee and a sense of humor.
A.J. Goode | A Goode One | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter sign-up

Online RN_Wright

• For new releases info: http://eepurl.com/PNaJz
    • View Profile
    • Book Page
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if she's back writing next week.  ;)

Online RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
I defiantly started a second novel. It was my masterpiece, but it bombed, too. Years of work and emotional investment wasted, I finally gave up, to save my sanity.

Four years on, I still cant look at the new fiction tables in Waterstones; they make me feel like an infertile woman at a baby shower. I feel pity and scorn for people with dreams.

Defiantly? A masterpiece? Years of wasted emotional investment? An infertile woman at a baby shower?

Crikey, get over yourself. What's she going to do when something really traumatic happens? Spontaneously combust?

James Lawson

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
Her broken heart was me decades ago. I hope she doesn't do what I did and waste years thinking she isn't a writer. She's had a big commercial setback, but the public has not had a chance to call her a failure. There are many other publishers in the world; at the very least, she should set out to find them. Obviously, she has talent, or a literary agent would not have bothered with her. 

Dreams of making a big literary splash die hard, but her mss. are only dead if she doesn't keep looking for places to send them. Yes, do the footwork herself instead of thinking that she's going to have a movie version of an artist's life, with influential people having power lunches and making her career for her while she sits in a remote cottage penning literary marvels. That's not real life. Real life might be the remote cottage--with no central heating because the advance on the next novel is peanuts and the sell-through, despite rave reviews in literary mags, was atrocious.

I feel for her. I hope she stops hating herself and works to get those books to the people who want to read them. Not selling a story to a traditional publisher does not make anyone a failure.   

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »

Not only look menacing, they can be downright mean. AND they spit!

Maybe Anon should have a lama:  "Hah! I spit on your rejection! And you try to go around me, I will kick you into next county! Patooie! Patooie"

Come to think of it, a lama could be handy for lots of things. Attitude, after all, is everything.  8)

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »
Not only look menacing, they can be downright mean. AND they spit!

Maybe Anon should have a lama:  "Hah! I spit on your rejection! And you try to go around me, I will kick you into next county! Patooie! Patooie"

Come to think of it, a lama could be handy for lots of things. Attitude, after all, is everything.  8)

:P :P :P

Yep, maybe that "failed writer" needs to be a little more llama and whole lot less "poor me".

Learn from the llama. The llama is wise. 8)

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Marilyn Vix Official Website
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 10:00:36 PM »
This is not an April Fool, but a regular part of the Guardian. It is essentially a social media rant that should have stayed on social media. Those who take part are entered a Huffington Pact i.e., I doubt they are paid but they get a bigger audience for their rant and the Guardian gets clickbait. Most hope that this will gain them the notice of the Guardian and there is grounds for that hope as most of the paper's writers are little better than social media ranters. Unfortunately for the hopefuls the Guardian is near bankrupt and can't afford to take on new journalists.

Wow, I get enough of those kind of rants on FB. I do feel for her. But most of the time, I see this kind of thing in a writer's group on FB. Having it in the Guardian is just weird, and shows what newspapers are having to do to stay afloat and competitive with the internet.

Offline SteveHarrison

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Storming Time
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »
It must be nice to have the choice whether or not to quit writing.

Offline EC

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 12:40:46 AM »

The thread was worth it just for that

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 12:47:33 AM »
Reading between the lines, it sounds like the author was naturally gifted and never had to deal with much rejection until her agent couldn't place her manuscript. If she won every creative writing prize at school and short story contests as an adult, of course it's going to sting when trad pub shuts the door in her face.

Dealing with failure is a skill we all have to learn. A lot of gifted children struggle with depression in their teens and early twenties when they lose their special-ness - because they built their identity around it, and without that, who are they?

So I have a lot of sympathy for her. But on the other hand, I could have done without the barbs aimed at other authors. It shows a level of bitterness that is maybe excessive.  :-X

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 01:15:06 AM »
Yeah, I don't have a lot of sympathy. Sounds like she tried twice, got bitter, and decided because her masterpiece didn't cut it the rest of us are fools to think we can succeed. I think back in the nineties I submitted probably 75-100 short stories and articles before I got published. It's a tough business. If she falls apart after 2 tries, she probably should quit. It takes a lot more tenacity than that.