Author Topic: Any Dresden Files fans out there?  (Read 936 times)  

Offline Matt Khourie

• View Profile
Any Dresden Files fans out there?
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
I'm so stoked I finally got around to reading Butcher's work. The series has only gotten better as I've waded through (I'm on Proven Guilty...) over the past few weeks. I'm really digging the detective novel vibe mixed with the more modern, snarkiness. Definitely not looking for the series to end anytime soon.

Anyone else working on Dresden or have any recommendations for similar entries by others?

P.S. Hells bells... <had to do it> :P

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
Re: Any Dresden Files fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
I liked Butcher's writing, but not his plotting. For my tastes, too much of the action seemed to be driven by poor choices on Dresden's part, sometimes seemingly outright stupid choices. It's a shame, because otherwise I think I would have really liked the series, but that sort of plotting is a pet peeve of mine. Granted, my assessment is based only on the first book and then about half of one of the later books, at which point I gave up when it was clear that sort of thing was still there.

In a similar tone but different setting (closer to a traditional fantasy setting), I generally enjoyed the "Garret, P.I." novels by Glenn Cook.

If you specifically are interested in a modern, urban fantasy sort of thing, I liked T. A. Pratt's "Marla Mason" series a lot, though I eventually lost interest in it as she became more and more powerful and the challenges had to escalate accordingly. (Geez, I'm a picky reader!)

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I've read them all, although I'll admit that I've enjoyed them less as the series has grown (not less enough to stop reading them, however). This is not necessarily a slam against the series, I find that I feel that way about almost all series at a certain point.

I did enjoy the TV series, even though it departed from the books in some significant ways.

NogDog: the Garrett series is one of my favorites.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:58:08 PM by Mike D. aka jmiked »
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
I did enjoy the TV series, even though it departed from the books in some significant ways.

Ooh, almost forgot about that. I quite enjoyed the TV series, too, even though I gave up on the books. :)

Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Matt Khourie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
I kind of like the dumb mistake and misjudgments. Reminds me of most of the people I know in real life ;D. I get so little time to read that I definitely have an appreciation for a book series that lets me shut the brain off and just whip through pages. Hopefully the pace keeps up through the next dozen entries.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
A note on the Dresden TV series: The original 2 hour pilot film was only shown once on TV (IIRC). It aired about a year after the series ended, and was only shown at 2AM. I happened to see the listing by accident and recorded it. I think the producers said it wasn't on the DVD because the studio would not allow it.

It was very different from the series itself. Bob was Bob the Skull and not a human appearing spirit. This episode was heavily edited and scenes re-shot to make a one-hour episode (the eighth aired).

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:02 AM »
I read one of them a couple of years ago while hanging around on the set of a Meryl Streep film (I just like saying that). It was Turn Coat. I enjoyed it, but I've not been particularly quick to check out the rest of the series.

I've also recently read one of Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus novels, which are a sort of London equivalent to the Dresden Files, I guess. Oh, and Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift series, as well.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
I enjoy Dresden books a lot....just as good is the Rivers of London series about a supernatural cop

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:16 PM »
I enjoy Dresden books a lot....just as good is the Rivers of London series about a supernatural cop

Yes, I love the Peter Grant books - Ben Aaronovitch was my favourite Doctor Who writer back in the day, and it's great that he's doing so well with that series!

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
I liked Butcher's writing, but not his plotting. For my tastes, too much of the action seemed to be driven by poor choices on Dresden's part, sometimes seemingly outright stupid choices. It's a shame, because otherwise I think I would have really liked the series, but that sort of plotting is a pet peeve of mine. Granted, my assessment is based only on the first book and then about half of one of the later books, at which point I gave up when it was clear that sort of thing was still there.

In a similar tone but different setting (closer to a traditional fantasy setting), I generally enjoyed the "Garret, P.I." novels by Glenn Cook.

If you specifically are interested in a modern, urban fantasy sort of thing, I liked T. A. Pratt's "Marla Mason" series a lot, though I eventually lost interest in it as she became more and more powerful and the challenges had to escalate accordingly. (Geez, I'm a picky reader!)

I didn't care for the "Oh I forgot therefore they got the drop on me.."  Type of stuff either.  His female characters in the first two (well, I read the first one and a half) ... strong female types, but always in the background and maybe it was me, but too stereotypical "*itch* instead of relying on real characterization and growth.   

The Glenn Cook ones are good.   I read one of the the Marla Mason ones, but made the mistake of reading too far into the series.  I was mostly confused and the main had come into quite a bit of power by that time so it was a rocky read. 

I like the very popular Patricia Briggs (especially Alpha and Omega series, When Demons Walk and others) and some of Ilona Andrews' work (not so much the romance she is writing now).   Some other really great UF writers:  Benedict Jacka, David B. Coe, and I usually rec Frank Tuttle, but his publisher went under so you can't currently buy his MarkHat books.  They should come back someday. 

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
I usually rec Frank Tuttle, but his publisher went under so you can't currently buy his MarkHat books.  They should come back someday.

The sooner the better. His books are at the top of my Fantasy reading list. I notice that Way Out West (Markhat #10) is still available for purchase, though.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
He got the rights back to that particular novel last year when the publisher nearly went under because it hadn't yet been published (as I understand it from his blog).  Unfortunately the others were still with the publisher until a month or two ago because they stayed in business.  Now he has all the rights, but no artwork for any of them, no formatted files, no print books...and so on.

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
I am a huge Dresden fan (even if the books get repetitive).

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! If Butcher won't publish more Dresden, I'll gladly read other similar works!  :D

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »
I loved the Dresden tv series, and read the first two books as a result,  it haven't followed up. They are interesting, but Dresden repeatedly does spectacularly stupid things, and that gets old.

I strongly second the recommendation of the Cook "Garrett, PI" books.

The Dan Shambles books by Kevin J. Anderson are worthwhile. The book is set in the near-future when a magical accident has caused undead such as vampires and mummies to move into our world. The hero is a zombie private investigator who has a ghost as his secretary and girlfriend. Recommended.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
I loved the first several Dresden Files, but then they got too dark and grim for my taste. The TV show had a different vibe from the books, and I would've liked to have seen where it was going, but it was cancelled too soon.

Seanan McGuire's October Daye series is good and does more detective than butt-kicking, though it can get trippy. Darius Brasher's got a detective noir superhero with his Superhero Detective For Hire series (and it's in KU).

I'll be trying some of the other books people have listed here. :)

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
I loved the Dresden tv series, and read the first two books as a result,  it haven't followed up. They are interesting, but Dresden repeatedly does spectacularly stupid things, and that gets old.

I strongly second the recommendation of the Cook "Garrett, PI" books.

The Dan Shambles books by Kevin J. Anderson are worthwhile. The book is set in the near-future when a magical accident has caused undead such as vampires and mummies to move into our world. The hero is a zombie private investigator who has a ghost as his secretary and girlfriend. Recommended.

I think "spectacurlarly stupid things" sums it up for me...  :)

I have the first in the Garrett PI series and the first in the Dan Shambles, but haven't gotten to either!

Offline A.G. Richards

• England
  • Paranormal romance & more
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
I thought the first novel -- Storm Front -- was desperately shallow, and I almost gave up on the series. But then I read Fool Moon and it turned me around somewhat. The description of Harry taking on wolf-like qualities was mesmerizing, for instance.

Although I take the point that Butcher's plotting is off sometimes. The scene (in the same novel) where an FBI agent threatens a Chicago cop with her gun had me going: "What???"

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »
You may enjoy the Iron Druid Chronicles.

They're about a Druid in Tempe, Arizona who has all kinds of supernatural baddies coming after him.

The druid is not exactly a wizard solving crimes but the stories are about an interesting magical character inspired by a real-world locale in a world with various magical traditions occurring side-by-side.

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline deanstow

• Northwest Tennessee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »
I am a huge Dresden Files fan.  The TV series was ok, but should have been much better.

To gently rebut some of the less than favorable opinions (not saying they are invalid), I would say the following.

Yes, Harry does some less than intelligent things early in the series.  He gets smarter as he gains experience.  He's not Gandalf.  Yet.

Yes, Harry cannot resist a wisecrack even in the face of possibly fatal consequences.  Shouldn't every character have their flaws?

Storm Front and Fool Moon were Butcher's first two published novels.  They get much better, IMO.

I have read every novel in the series (multiple times) as well as most of the short stories and can say that they just keep getting better.  At least in my opinion.

For those who have never read them, I describe them as one part Sam Spade, one part Harry Potter for adults, and a dash of Loony Tunes for flavor.

The series is up to (I think) 14 novels with at least 7 more planned.  And by the way, that 20+ book story arc was outlined before the first book's first draft was finished.  Butcher has said for new readers to start with book 4 or even 5 because that is when his skills started getting better. 

I recommend these highly.

Dean

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
I've read all the books and liked the TV series even if it did things differently.

What's different about this series is that Harry is eventually forced out of being a PI and thrust into a more dangerous role where the stakes are much higher (like fate of the universe kind of thing). This may be a problem for people who just want to read about his PI work in Chicago, but I like how it forces Harry to grow beyond where he started. I don't think I've read any other series that stepped away from the original premise like this. At first I missed the old PI stuff, but the trouble stirring is really interesting and fun to read about too. And well, seeing an old friend kick arse again for a night was awesome. And Jedi reference... that's all I'm saying (that book rocked!)