Author Topic: I was so busy with tax season a.k.a. the saga of St Mary's  (Read 791 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: I was so busy with tax season
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 03:57:22 AM »
You're so mean! ;D  I take it from "that" and "that" and "that", we don't have to worry this is the last book?

I see Ann has a comment on her review that we aren't the only ones encountering the paragraph formatting problem.  I imagine the more people that comment and report the faster they will be to do something about it.

I'm going to be pretty tied up the early part of this week . . but if it's still bad when I get my time back, I'm going to email the publisher at the address Linda posted.

I'm also tempted to post my review -- such as it is -- on GoodReads, for more visibility. Again, when the problem is fixed, I will absolutely change the rating and review! So far I've made a comment as part of a 'progress update' but that's all.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
You're so mean! ;D  I take it from "that" and "that" and "that", we don't have to worry this is the last book?

In keeping with the previous books in the series, some situations have a conclusion, others don't. It certainly didn't strike me as a series ending book. In any case, I'd like to think that the author would say if it was.

For now, I'm firmly of the belief that St. Mary's will be back to cause more chaos in the future. Er, past. Er ... you know what I mean.  ;D
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 04:04:08 AM »
I just checked it again this morning: Look Inside is still wonky but I purchased to be sure -- same problem, so I returned it.

I've just sent an email to the address Linda provided. May tweet at jodi as well if I dont' hear anything from them in a day or two.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: I was so busy with tax season a.k.a. the saga of St Mary's
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 05:08:31 AM »
Checked again today . . . and a couple of times in the last week. Rather than purchasing and returning I've been sending samples -- but I'm not convinced a sample will pick it up if the formatting gets fixed. :(

I did contact the publisher at the email address Linda had. No response. I also found her on GoodReads and asked a direct question -- that was just this morning. We'll see if she responds. There was a FB link, but it didn't work.

The whole situation is getting more and more disappointing to me. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
This link works for facebook https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJodiTaylor - it seems to be updated regularly with questions being replied to the same day. I can't post as I don't have a facebook account.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »
Thanks, Linda. I'll wait a bit and see if I get a response to the GR question . . . . if not, maybe I'll go the FB route.  The GR FB link has .com after her name; guess that's why it didn't work.

I also see she has a website, so I can try there as well.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »
Checked again today . . . and a couple of times in the last week. Rather than purchasing and returning I've been sending samples -- but I'm not convinced a sample will pick it up if the formatting gets fixed. :(

I did contact the publisher at the email address Linda had. No response. I also found her on GoodReads and asked a direct question -- that was just this morning. We'll see if she responds. There was a FB link, but it didn't work.

The whole situation is getting more and more disappointing to me. :(

Since I didn't return the book for refund, I have been checking Manage Your Content every day hoping to see an "update available" tag.  I also continue to monitor the reviews and check the Look Inside.  The number of reviews that mention the lack of paragraph formatting is increasing although it doesn't seem to have stopped them from reading it.

I really thought it would be fixed right away.  I'm also disappointed. :(
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
Since I didn't return the book for refund, I have been checking Manage Your Content every day hoping to see an "update available" tag.  I also continue to monitor the reviews and check the Look Inside.  The number of reviews that mention the lack of paragraph formatting is increasing although it doesn't seem to have stopped them from reading it.

I really thought it would be fixed right away.  I'm also disappointed. :(

me, too.

I've not looked at too many reviews . . . I think I only saw two besides mine that mentioned the formatting. But then, I was looking at the critical reviews because it's hard for me to conceive of giving even a really great story more than 3 stars when it's so painful to read. I guess some people don't mind so much. :(

I trust that, if you see there's an update, you'll let us know? :) Of course you will!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
me, too.

I've not looked at too many reviews . . . I think I only saw two besides mine that mentioned the formatting. But then, I was looking at the critical reviews because it's hard for me to conceive of giving even a really great story more than 3 stars when it's so painful to read. I guess some people don't mind so much. :(

I trust that, if you see there's an update, you'll let us know? :) Of course you will!

You are correct, I certainly will!  Just as I know you will let us know if you hear directly from Ms. Taylor or the publisher.

There is even a 5* review that says:

"So the story is great. It could use some formatting though. I'm rather partial to paragraphs having tabs or space between. Either will do. But I must say again. Great story."

I'm with you that formatting would certainly affect my rating downward if I could get through it, but at least I'm convinced the story will be fantastic when it does become properly readable! My mother was having a hissy fit at not being able to talk to me about the story as she was reading.  I think she called every time she got to one of Linjeakels' "I didn't expect that" and "that" and "that" moments wanting to know if I could read it yet. ::)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
You are correct, I certainly will!  Just as I know you will let us know if you hear directly from Ms. Taylor or the publisher.

Indeed! :D

There is even a 5* review that says:

"So the story is great. It could use some formatting though. I'm rather partial to paragraphs having tabs or space between. Either will do. But I must say again. Great story."

I'm with you that formatting would certainly affect my rating downward if I could get through it, but at least I'm convinced the story will be fantastic when it does become properly readable!

The mind boggles. :o I mean, I guess I get that she's reviewing the story but I really can't conceive how a person can enjoy a story when it's such hard work to read it. I wonder if I should be envious of someone who can ignore those sorts of problems. ???

In the early days of kindle I got a book like that and I muddled through a good bit of it, figuring that I was willing to excuse the formatting for a decent story and accepting that not everyone had this whole kindle publishing thing completely figured out. Early adopters gotta put up with stuff sometimes. ::) (I did give up on it when it became clear there were  problems with the story/writing besides! :o ) But in this case, 10 years in to the ePublishing era, we're talking about a 'real' publisher for an author who's popular and, I gotta think, profitable for them! I find it inexcusable.

My mother was having a hissy fit at not being able to talk to me about the story as she was reading.  I think she called every time she got to one of Linjeakels' "I didn't expect that" and "that" and "that" moments wanting to know if I could read it yet. ::)

Poor thing! When the fixed copy shows up, she can re-read it with you. ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:13:32 AM »
Postitive movement: Ms Taylor did reply via GR and said she'd pass it on to the publisher, Accent, to figure out if it's an Amazon issue or something at the American publisher end which is an outfit called Night Shade. She indicated she'd respond again if she learns anything.  So . . . . fingers crossed.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 11:40:45 AM »
Postitive movement: Ms Taylor did reply via GR and said she'd pass it on to the publisher, Accent, to figure out if it's an Amazon issue or something at the American publisher end which is an outfit called Night Shade. She indicated she'd respond again if she learns anything.  So . . . . fingers crossed.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 05:27:05 PM »

That's good to hear. :D  I imagine she'd be keen to follow it up since both she and the publisher are going to be losing money from any returns or people put off from buying by the reviews.