Kindle Forum banner

I was so busy with tax season a.k.a. the saga of St Mary's

6K views 54 replies 7 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
that I didn't notice that the latest St Mary's book is out:

This is such a fun series -- and at a reasonable price. If you need to start at the beginning, here's the first book:

See less See more
#27 ·
crebel said:
You're so mean! ;D I take it from "that" and "that" and "that", we don't have to worry this is the last book?
In keeping with the previous books in the series, some situations have a conclusion, others don't. It certainly didn't strike me as a series ending book. In any case, I'd like to think that the author would say if it was.

For now, I'm firmly of the belief that St. Mary's will be back to cause more chaos in the future. Er, past. Er ... you know what I mean. ;D

#29 ·
Checked again today . . . and a couple of times in the last week. Rather than purchasing and returning I've been sending samples -- but I'm not convinced a sample will pick it up if the formatting gets fixed. :(

I did contact the publisher at the email address Linda had. No response. I also found her on GoodReads and asked a direct question -- that was just this morning. We'll see if she responds. There was a FB link, but it didn't work.

The whole situation is getting more and more disappointing to me. :(

#32 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Checked again today . . . and a couple of times in the last week. Rather than purchasing and returning I've been sending samples -- but I'm not convinced a sample will pick it up if the formatting gets fixed. :(

I did contact the publisher at the email address Linda had. No response. I also found her on GoodReads and asked a direct question -- that was just this morning. We'll see if she responds. There was a FB link, but it didn't work.

The whole situation is getting more and more disappointing to me. :(
Since I didn't return the book for refund, I have been checking Manage Your Content every day hoping to see an "update available" tag. I also continue to monitor the reviews and check the Look Inside. The number of reviews that mention the lack of paragraph formatting is increasing although it doesn't seem to have stopped them from reading it.

I really thought it would be fixed right away. I'm also disappointed. :(

#33 ·
crebel said:
Since I didn't return the book for refund, I have been checking Manage Your Content every day hoping to see an "update available" tag. I also continue to monitor the reviews and check the Look Inside. The number of reviews that mention the lack of paragraph formatting is increasing although it doesn't seem to have stopped them from reading it.

I really thought it would be fixed right away. I'm also disappointed. :(
me, too.

I've not looked at too many reviews . . . I think I only saw two besides mine that mentioned the formatting. But then, I was looking at the critical reviews because it's hard for me to conceive of giving even a really great story more than 3 stars when it's so painful to read. I guess some people don't mind so much. :(

I trust that, if you see there's an update, you'll let us know? :) Of course you will!

#34 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
me, too.

I've not looked at too many reviews . . . I think I only saw two besides mine that mentioned the formatting. But then, I was looking at the critical reviews because it's hard for me to conceive of giving even a really great story more than 3 stars when it's so painful to read. I guess some people don't mind so much. :(

I trust that, if you see there's an update, you'll let us know? :) Of course you will!
You are correct, I certainly will! Just as I know you will let us know if you hear directly from Ms. Taylor or the publisher.

There is even a 5* review that says:

"So the story is great. It could use some formatting though. I'm rather partial to paragraphs having tabs or space between. Either will do. But I must say again. Great story."

I'm with you that formatting would certainly affect my rating downward if I could get through it, but at least I'm convinced the story will be fantastic when it does become properly readable! My mother was having a hissy fit at not being able to talk to me about the story as she was reading. I think she called every time she got to one of Linjeakels' "I didn't expect that" and "that" and "that" moments wanting to know if I could read it yet. ::)

#35 ·
crebel said:
You are correct, I certainly will! Just as I know you will let us know if you hear directly from Ms. Taylor or the publisher.
Indeed! :D

There is even a 5* review that says:

"So the story is great. It could use some formatting though. I'm rather partial to paragraphs having tabs or space between. Either will do. But I must say again. Great story."

I'm with you that formatting would certainly affect my rating downward if I could get through it, but at least I'm convinced the story will be fantastic when it does become properly readable!
The mind boggles. :eek: I mean, I guess I get that she's reviewing the story but I really can't conceive how a person can enjoy a story when it's such hard work to read it. I wonder if I should be envious of someone who can ignore those sorts of problems. ???

In the early days of kindle I got a book like that and I muddled through a good bit of it, figuring that I was willing to excuse the formatting for a decent story and accepting that not everyone had this whole kindle publishing thing completely figured out. Early adopters gotta put up with stuff sometimes. ::) (I did give up on it when it became clear there were problems with the story/writing besides! :eek: ) But in this case, 10 years in to the ePublishing era, we're talking about a 'real' publisher for an author who's popular and, I gotta think, profitable for them! I find it inexcusable.

My mother was having a hissy fit at not being able to talk to me about the story as she was reading. I think she called every time she got to one of Linjeakels' "I didn't expect that" and "that" and "that" moments wanting to know if I could read it yet. ::)
Poor thing! When the fixed copy shows up, she can re-read it with you. ;D

#36 ·
Postitive movement: Ms Taylor did reply via GR and said she'd pass it on to the publisher, Accent, to figure out if it's an Amazon issue or something at the American publisher end which is an outfit called Night Shade. She indicated she'd respond again if she learns anything.  So . . . . fingers crossed.

#38 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Postitive movement: Ms Taylor did reply via GR and said she'd pass it on to the publisher, Accent, to figure out if it's an Amazon issue or something at the American publisher end which is an outfit called Night Shade. She indicated she'd respond again if she learns anything. So . . . . fingers crossed.
That's good to hear. :D I imagine she'd be keen to follow it up since both she and the publisher are going to be losing money from any returns or people put off from buying by the reviews.

#39 ·
When there was an issue with a Kobo version, it took MONTHS to get fixed.  I'm talking nearly a year.  There is nothing the author can do other than report it.  Also, it is my understanding that the sample for a book may not update even after the book is updated (for quite some time, if ever).  It may differ on a publisher upload, but there is something weird with samples and covers.  For example, even though a cover updates within a couple of days, if I post to facebook MONTHS after the cover update, the old cover will still be pulled.  It has to do with the way links/info is stored for those types of things.  I think samples are stored in the same way -- pulled off to a different server and they stay static.  Luckily enough people are watching it's likely the update will be discovered...

If you buy and return too many times, Amazon may also flag your account for odd activity with returns.  Not that it can't be straightened out, but you might not want to have to deal with that...

#40 ·
MariaESchneider said:
When there was an issue with a Kobo version, it took MONTHS to get fixed. I'm talking nearly a year. There is nothing the author can do other than report it. Also, it is my understanding that the sample for a book may not update even after the book is updated (for quite some time, if ever). It may differ on a publisher upload, but there is something weird with samples and covers. For example, even though a cover updates within a couple of days, if I post to facebook MONTHS after the cover update, the old cover will still be pulled. It has to do with the way links/info is stored for those types of things. I think samples are stored in the same way -- pulled off to a different server and they stay static. Luckily enough people are watching it's likely the update will be discovered...

If you buy and return too many times, Amazon may also flag your account for odd activity with returns. Not that it can't be straightened out, but you might not want to have to deal with that...
That's kind of why I stopped doing that . . . . . didn't want to raise any red flags, though each time I returned I used the 'defective content' option . . . . wish there was a way to explain further. I have several times reported it via the link on the book page. I'm not sure more than one report from each account actually counts but it's something.

#41 ·
So . . . it's been another month. Tried buying the book again today; still has the paragraph formatting issues so I returned it for refund. And . . . I'm out.  Direct email to the publisher was ignored. Contact with the author via GR resulted in no action. Fortunately, there are lots of other books to read.

#42 ·
That's so frustrating.  :mad:

Have you checked with your local library? If they don't already have it, you might be able to recommend it for purchase - that's how it works with my local library anyhow.  It's possible they might have/get the ok version.

I wish I could lend it to you, but even if it's available for that book, as far as I can tell we still don't have the lending facility in the UK (it's been coming "in the next few months" since 2011). In any case, you might still end up downloading the dodgy version.

Other than downloading it on to a spare Kindle and posting the whole device to you, I'm out of ideas!

Grrrr!

#43 ·
I still check most days to see if the formatting has been updated and join you in your frustration.  The look inside is available for the pre-order of the collection of short stories and it is as it should be.

Reviews increase by one or two almost daily, yet there are still only 3 or 4 that mention the Kindle formatting of paragraphs is unreadable.  I don't understand it, but I guess there haven't been enough complaints that they care to do anything about it.  I too am done, I really don't feel like reading it even if they do fix the paragraph formatting.  So disappointing.

#44 ·
Linjeakel said:
That's so frustrating. :mad:

Have you checked with your local library? If they don't already have it, you might be able to recommend it for purchase - that's how it works with my local library anyhow. It's possible they might have/get the ok version.

I wish I could lend it to you, but even if it's available for that book, as far as I can tell we still don't have the lending facility in the UK (it's been coming "in the next few months" since 2011). In any case, you might still end up downloading the dodgy version.

Other than downloading it on to a spare Kindle and posting the whole device to you, I'm out of ideas!

Grrrr!
I have not looked at the library -- but the way that works for kindle books is that I get it via Amazon anyway. So I can't see that it'd be any different. I could, of course, get a paper copy -- but I'd really never read that. ::)

Tell you what: you come visit, I'll tour you around DC and the area, and you can bring the book on your kindle for me to read. ;D

crebel said:
I still check most days to see if the formatting has been updated and join you in your frustration. The look inside is available for the pre-order of the collection of short stories and it is as it should be.

Reviews increase by one or two almost daily, yet there are still only 3 or 4 that mention the Kindle formatting of paragraphs is unreadable. I don't understand it, but I guess there haven't been enough complaints that they care to do anything about it. I too am done, I really don't feel like reading it even if they do fix the paragraph formatting. So disappointing.
Yeah, that's where I am: 'bout ready to say I'm not going to buy it even if they do fix it. :(

I suppose there's not much Amazon can do anyway -- unless, as you say, there are a LOT of complaints -- but I had hoped for some response from the publisher. Even if all I got was, "Whoa! It's not supposed to be like that; we don't know exactly how to fix it." At least it would be an acknowledgement of my existence. :)

And I don't understand either, how so many have happily read it with the formatting as bad as it is. . . .

#45 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I suppose there's not much Amazon can do anyway -- unless, as you say, there are a LOT of complaints -- but I had hoped for some response from the publisher. Even if all I got was, "Whoa! It's not supposed to be like that; we don't know exactly how to fix it." At least it would be an acknowledgement of my existence. :)

And I don't understand either, how so many have happily read it with the formatting as bad as it is. . . .
They could remove it from sale until it is fixed. I've seen them do that to self-published authors when the "customer experience" has been negatively impacted and reported. I don't know why a traditional publisher should be exempt, and I'm sure it would create a much faster response. *continues grumbling*

#46 ·
crebel said:
They could remove it from sale until it is fixed. I've seen them do that to self-published authors when the "customer experience" has been negatively impacted and reported. I don't know why a traditional publisher should be exempt, and I'm sure it would create a much faster response. *continues grumbling*
I guess they don't think it's 'broken'. :( Maybe they really haven't gotten many complaints. That's the most mind-boggling bit . . . and makes me despair a bit that people really are not bothered by it. :'(

#47 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I have not looked at the library -- but the way that works for kindle books is that I get it via Amazon anyway. So I can't see that it'd be any different.
Could you download the library epub version and read it on Overdrive on your tablet? That's what I do as we can't borrow Kindle books from the libraries in the UK.

#48 ·
Linjeakel said:
Could you download the library epub version and read it on Overdrive on your tablet? That's what I do as we can't borrow Kindle books from the libraries in the UK.
If they have it, I expect I could -- it's not currently available in any of the libraries I have access to. But, even if it was, that's more trouble than I want to go to. I don't really care to read on my tablet or phone and I'm not inclined to download an app just so I can do so. Honestly, if it was available and I did borrow it, it would probably sit there unread and the loan would expire and it would be auto-returned. :) That's how dis-inclined I am to read on my tablet. ::)

I guess I look at it this way: you want me to read your book? Then make it available in my preferred format -- in a clean edition. They've not done that and have not responded to me letting them know there's a problem with the formatting. Turns out I don't want to read it badly enough to go to any more trouble than I already have. Sadly, they've lost a customer/reader -- even a fan. :(

#50 ·
For those of you who are still reading the St Mary's saga, the short story Perfect Storm is released on 24th August. This is the book that was included in the omnibus of shorts called The Long And The Short Of It but hasn't previously been published on it's own.

After that there is another short due out on Christmas day called Christmas Past and the next full book is (at the moment) called An Argumentation of Historians and is due out around April next year.

According to the author, she thinks a good title for one of her books would be You'll Never Guess What's All Gone Tits Up Now :eek: but so far she has been out voted, presumably by her publisher!

#51 ·
For those still happily awaiting new St Mary's Chronicles, the next full-length novel will be available April 12 and is available for preorder.

Followed on April 23 by a new short.

It continues to disappoint me, a full year later, that the formatting has never been fixed for Book 8. I would still read it if they did, but since they haven't, I won't be purchasing Book 9 even if it is properly done. :mad: :'(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.