Kindle Forum banner

Possible Good News for the Single (But Male) Writer

3K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  Evenstar 
#1 ·
Many moons ago, I recall someone started a thread suggesting a KBoards' Writers' Cafe Singles feature or something like that. Never went anywhere, presumably because there either weren't enough single writers or even writers didn't want to date other writers. No telling, really.

Anyway, for those still looking, there may be good news if you're a single unattractive male writer . . .

"Creativity, a mating boost for the unattractive male"

You'll likely get bonus points if you're creative and attractive. If you're neither, well, there's always "Candy Crush."

Unfortunately, it may work the opposite if you're female. One study says it only works for males while the other says it works for both. Who to believe? Dunno. A link to the actual studies would have been nice but it is Yahoo! so you can't set your expectations too high.

I should note that I am not trying to imply the male writers here are unattractive. I have no idea. Same goes for the female writers. Again, no idea. I'm sure you're all very attractive, probably. Male and female. Dogs and cats too. Even that elephant on a trampoline that hasn't been seen in a while. The point is that it was a study involving creativity and, given that writers are generally creative, it might be of interest. Or not. Many of my characters tend not to live long enough to date anyway, so kind of a moot point for me. Your mileage may vary. Remember to get an oil change regularly. Follow posted speed limits. You gotta fight for your right to not use metric!

Thoughts? Anecdotes? Personal experience? Do you pair up your uncreative and unattractive characters with anyone or just let them wander the streets alone while someone else steals their identity, starts dating that girl they liked and kicks them out of their own house?

Gotta go. Time for a quick game of "Candy Crush."

See less See more
#5 ·
Evenstar said:
Hmm, I think it's fairly well established that women find security attractive. Writers are not famed for this...
There are a fair number of them here who seem to be doing significantly better than most guys bringing home a paycheck from a day job. Besides that, if he's a writer you can leave him home with the kids while you go to *your* day job.

#10 ·
I saw this article too and thought it was kinda funny because in the olden days (80's anyone?) it was a big deal to date a musician, another creative profession.  However, they were prone to moods that would swing wider than the Grand Canyon.  Still, an interesting read.

#15 ·
Al Stevens said:
The Oxford comma is about lists. A, B and C or A, B, and C. They might be thinking "single, male writer." I don't agree with that usage in this context.

Is this thread morphing into one about my joke?
You:
Q: What do you call a single male writer who doesn't have a girlfriend?
A: Homeless.
Me:
Q: What do you call a single, male writer who doesn't have a girlfriend?
Maybe:
Q: What do you call a single, male writer that doesn't have a girlfriend?
English as she is writ.

#16 ·
It's interesting how attractiveness plays into success with this sort of thing. I don't think it really applies to novels or anything, but certainly with blogs and freelance journalism. I know a handful of people who have done blogs and worked as freelance writers, and the ones who've made it have been the attractive ones (both male and female, of course).

It's not really that surprising, to be honest, because most blogs and that sort of thing are selling a lifestyle. It's just sort of eye-rolling when their fans go on and on about how the writing is inspiring or whatever. Not saying the writing is bad, but I'd be surprised if the writers had as much success if they weren't attractive.

#17 ·
When I was single, I had a fairly long relationship with a lady I met online, and what first attracted me to her was she could write well. Turned out she was a schoolteacher. It was great to have a verbal and intellectual equal. Eventually didn't work out, but not for that reason. If I weren't already married to the love of my life, I imagine I'd be happy to look among writers for an SO. At least we could share obsessions and neuroses.

#18 ·
My wife first saw me acting in a pantomime and was intrigued. Then she found out through a mutual friend that I spoke French and was a writer, and then I wasn't single any more. So, y'know.

:)

#19 ·
Dan C. Rinnert said:
Thoughts? Anecdotes? Personal experience? Do you pair up your uncreative and unattractive characters with anyone or just let them wander the streets alone while someone else steals their identity, starts dating that girl they liked and kicks them out of their own house?

Gotta go. Time for a quick game of "Candy Crush."
Dunno about attractiveness, but I married a poet who was acting in amateur theater when I met him- so for me, heck yeah! On the other hand, he was 47, never married, and living with his mother, so evidently for many women, not so much! :D

#20 ·
What do you call a single male writer who doesn't have a girlfriend?
What do you call a single, male writer who doesn't have a girlfriend?

I disagree with the comma, and if I was editing the piece, I'd take it out. I don't consider it a list, although if you hyphenate the compound modifier I wouldn't argue too much.

[ducks]

#22 ·
nikkykaye said:
I'm shocked that nobody has picked up on the more obvious problem here--the redundancy. "Single" and "no girlfriend."
nikkykaye gets the piece of pie.

The redundant wordage would have been removed by a decent editor. No need to state that he has no girlfriend if you've already stated that he is single - the two are synonymous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.