KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: Okay...what genre is this?  (Read 258 times)  

Offline ShesGotBooks

• Washington State
    • View Profile
Okay...what genre is this?
« on: April 20, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Sorry for another stupid question so soon after the last...

In the plotting stage right now and it occurred to me I'm not clear on the genre.
Main character kills best friend's abusive husband after he lands her in the hospital. Together they get rid of the body and attempt to get on with their lives.
Town sheriff investigates, has his suspicions but also has a thing for main character that clouds his judgement.

This isn't exactly a mystery, since we know who dun it. It's not a straight up romance, even though there is some sensuality it is not the main purpose of the story.

Women's fiction? The friendship between the two women and the murder they commit are the two main plot points.

I think I'm confusing myself further. Anybody have any ideas?

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
Re: Okay...what genre is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
How much suspense is there in the story?

How do your characters deal with the murder and cover up?  Is it carefully planned?  An accident?  Are there twists and turns in the sheriff's investigation and they're almost caught?  Or does the sheriff realize and look the other way?

I'd say you have a lot of possibilities.  And we didn't even talk about if this takes place on a distant planet or not... .

Please visit my Amazon author page to see my books...99 cents each, for the month of April.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline ShesGotBooks

• Washington State
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:57 AM »
How much suspense is there in the story?

How do your characters deal with the murder and cover up?  Is it carefully planned?  An accident?  Are there twists and turns in the sheriff's investigation and they're almost caught?  Or does the sheriff realize and look the other way?

I'd say you have a lot of possibilities.  And we didn't even talk about if this takes place on a distant planet or not... .

Somewhat carefully planned, not an accident. More the main character's idea, and wife-of-victim just kind of goes along with it. She's thankful in the aftermath but afraid of her husband, afraid it won't kill him just  p*ss  him off.
They are almost caught, it comes down to the sheriff having a lot of the information and mostly putting it together himself, but deciding that even though she did something bad, she did it for a good reason.

Online ebbrown

• South Jersey
  • Insulting the written word, one word at a time
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page E.B. Brown
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:19 AM »
Depending on what the bulk of the focus is, it could go different ways. If it's mostly about the friendship and bonding between the women as they cover up the crime, and then the experience changes the MC and she evolves into a happier/better person with a great life, then I'd say women's fic.
If it's more about the crime, how it was covered up, and how the sheriff let them off in the end and they got out of it when they thought they were caught, probably crime fiction or suspense.

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Books by A. Woodley
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
I'd go Fiction, Crime (or as near to that as possible in the drop down list).

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline ShesGotBooks

• Washington State
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:23 AM »
Thank you. It's primarily about the friendship between the two women and how their bond is forged with the crime. Women's fic sounds about right.