Kindle Forum banner

Do You Use Talismans to Help You Write?

571 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  LSBurton 
#1 ·
Actors sometimes acquire souvenirs from various roles that they have played: costumes that they have worn in movies, a horse from a part in a Western, a pistol from playing Hedda Gabler in the theatre, etc.

I was wondering if any of you use special objects---talismans, if you like---to help you in your writing: maybe actual pictures (as opposed to mental ideas) of characters that you keep on your desk or stuck on your wall, or do you perhaps keep nearby some physical object(s) that your characters might use (swords, guns, clothing, cars, smoking pipes, knitting needles, cooking utensils, crystal balls, books of magic spells, etc.).

One example: Tom Hanks sometimes wore an actual cowboy hat in the studio while he was recording the dialog for the movie, Toy Story.

#8 ·
I have a ton of junk in and around my workspace.  None of it was acquired for a book, but given its presence, it does tend to work its way into the stories.

I like to call it "creative chaos" and "inspirational aids", but yeah, it's mostly just junk.  ;D

#10 ·
There's a local author around here who's also an actor. When writing her book, which was a historical work with a male protagonist, she used the actors' "mask" technique, where she actually wore a mask and channeled the character. Worked quite well for her too, as it was a good book, and it makes for an interesting topic of discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.