Kindle Forum banner

Amazon sales rank data updated hourly?

903 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  alawston 
#1 ·
What time do Amazon rankings update? Sometimes it seems like it's on the top of the hour, other times it seems like once an hour on the half hour. I've never been able to determine if there's a set time for the updated data.

#3 ·
Marian said:
My rankings can take up to 24 hours to update. I've often wondered if they have some authors set to be on slow, slow schedules.
24 hours! That can't be right. My Paid in store rankings change every hour or two, I just can't figure out at what time to look. Now and then there does seem to be a lag where the change is minimal, and a few hours later there's a larger jump, but it's never static for hours.

#5 ·
AliceW said:
It depends on your rank. Higher levels are updated more frequently (eg hourly) lower levels with minimal movement might only update once a day.
That's interesting. It's also true that the rate of speed seems to change, I assume because of server load. Like Kay, I've seen my rankings stick from time to time.

#7 ·
loraininflorida said:
The thing that surprised me the most was on the KDP graph, not the author rankings. It changed/updated a day's sales eight hours after the day had ended. So heh, when midnight comes and you see that graph plunge to zero, all may not be lost! :D
You mean the sales graph in your dashboard? A lot of the wonkiness there comes from time zone differences.

#8 ·
My sales graph always goes to zero at precisely midnight US east coast time. What I am saying is that eight hours after this happened for one of my books, Amazon went back, and added another sale to what was by then the day-before sales spike. I've had them do that a few other times too, but only maybe an hour or two after midnight. This was a full eight hours.

#10 ·
loraininflorida said:
What I am saying is that eight hours after this happened for one of my books, Amazon went back, and added another sale to what was by then the day-before sales spike. I've had them do that a few other times too, but only maybe an hour or two after midnight. This was a full eight hours.
Let me clarify what I meant by timezone issues. Literally 90% of my sales go in my 'day-before sales spike' because I live in a time zone that's far ahead of the US (where most of my sales come from.) As far as I know, sales go in the appropriate date column for the buyer. If your buyer was 8 or more hours behind you, that would explain your sale going into the day before. I'm not saying that's definitely what's happening, but it is a possible explanation for your issue.

LMareeApps said:
I also think I read somewhere here, that the sales dashboard is delayed depending on how long the buyer's credit card payment takes to process.
In my experience, the dashboard updates pretty quickly. The royalties (in the table beneath the graph) wait for the credit card processing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.