Kindle Forum banner

Quick question about PRIME

731 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  KevinH 
#1 ·
I've been invited to submit one of my novels to Amazon Prime, but I'm unsure about what happens to it after that because I've read conflicting information. If I submit my book to the program and they accept it, does the novel lose its place in the ranks? I have a good rank position, top 10 in genre, and I'm reading that Prime doesn't always benefit authors that much.

So - will I lose my rank while the novel is on Prime, and is it worth it?

PS I've read other threads on this and cannot find what I need about the rank question so I'm creating this new thread.

Thank R:)

#2 ·
You won't lose your rank. It'll probably even get a boost in rankings, which happened to my books in the program. People will still buy it as usual, but now Amazon will be promoting it to prime users to read for free, so if anything your book will go up in rankings.

#3 ·
How did this go for you in the end?

I've just been invited to submit one of my books in Prime, on Amazon UK. I've been told that I'll receive £200 as a one off payment, and that Prime members will then be able to read the ebook version of one of my titles for free for 90 days. This doesn't sound like much money to me. Over the last 90 days, the ebook version of this title has made me £2862 on Amazon UK - Amazon are offering me just 7% of that amount. I'm worried that I'll lose more in royalties than I make from that one time payment.

So are there any other benefits. Does the rank boost lead to more sales? Do you get positive reviews?

#4 ·
Joss said:

I've just been invited to submit one of my books in Prime, on Amazon UK. I've been told that I'll receive £200 as a one off payment, and that Prime members will then be able to read the ebook version of one of my titles for free for 90 days. This doesn't sound like much money to me. Over the last 90 days, the ebook version of this title has made me £2862 on Amazon UK - Amazon are offering me just 7% of that amount. I'm worried that I'll lose more in royalties than I make from that one time payment.

So are there any other benefits. Does the rank boost lead to more sales? Do you get positive reviews?
I noticed increased visibility with US Prime but not as much with UK Prime. It's still worth it if you have a series, but I'm not as sure it's worth it with a standalone.

You're not likely to lose money from participating in Prime Reads IME. But you might not gain much either.

#5 ·
You still get sales and KU reads while you're in Prime, as well as the Prime borrows. I suppose the Prime borrows could undermine your sales and reads, but in practice, they seem to have the opposite effect, I suppose due to increased visibility. But, as Crystal said, it is going to vary based on .com vs .co.uk and on stand-alone vs series. It has certainly been a good experience for me so far! (With a series book on .com, in my case.)

#8 ·
Joss said:

I'd be interested to know this as well, as I've just been offered the same deal with Prime UK. My reading of the terms is that you still get your royalties and page reads, and if a reader is in both Prime and KU, then you get the page reads from KU in those cases. So it sounds like a small payout with a chance of a rankings boost, and hopefully no drawbacks. Think I will give it a try to see how it goes.

#9 ·
I've got a book in Prime Reading right now, and if I remember correctly from when I had a book in the program before, Prime borrows count for ranking purposes but you don't get paid anything additional for them (unless, as someone noted, the reader is also in KU). Thus, you're gaining access to a new market segment (Prime readers) - and being paid for it - without losing any exposure to other areas ("regular" sales and page reads). 

Bearing all that in mind, I would anticipate that you'd get a boost in the rankings from being in the program.  (Frankly speaking, there doesn't appear to be much downside - unless you suspect that a lot of Prime readers would actually have bought your book, and I'm not sure how to even figure that out.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.