Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Quality Notice on Product Page re Vellum file formatting - any ideas?

743 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Word Fan 
#1 ·
Got this email from Amazon this morn and before I could take the time to figure out what it all meant, there was a Kindle Quality Notice attached to the book on the product page - hugely annoying.

'Error Category: Formatting-Dropcap_Liftcap_ChapterInitial; Comments: Forced page break induced before the starting of the chapter in certain Kindle devices where the first letter in chapter 8, 9,..so on is split from the rest of the sentence . Example Location: 306, 356, 385...so on. Please follow the KPG guidelines to create the Drop cap and that will fix the issue. Here the KPG guidelines are not followed and this is causing the issue. Please follow the KPG guideline section 9.3.5 Drop caps to create the Drop cap.'

Have no clue what any of this means and what I'm supposed to do to fix it, as I just use Vellum to format all of my ebooks directly from a word file and have never encountered an issue. Which potentially means they could all have the same problem
Anyone got a clue what I've done wrong?

#2 ·
I wonder if this has anything to do with the issue I noticed and mentioned in the main Vellum thread?  On my Samsung Galaxy Tab I noticed a line break was added into the third line of the initial paragraph for certain letters when I used the script-version of the drop cap.  Until Vellum fixes it, I'd suggest maybe updating your files to not use the drop cap but instead use one of the other initial line options like small caps for the first half of the first line.

#3 ·
I concur with Cassie's suggestion and would add sending a support inquiry to Vellum. I imagine that they're busy readying the new version with paperback capability, but I'm sure they'll respond in some way.

Did you update to 1.4.2 when it came out? I just double-checked, and that version is supposed to fix the problem you're describing. It might be worth a shot.

#4 ·
Re-post this question over at the Official Vellum Thread so they will see it faster and respond.

Also, yes, make sure than you have updated to the latest version of Vellum. Many of these bugs get fixed pretty quickly but it's your responsibility to keep up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.