Kindle Forum banner

Can an Author Platform even Exist before your First Release?

452 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  A. N. Other Author 
#1 ·
So, I have listened to and read over 40+ hours of book marketing (Youtube, audible, kindle books, websites, podcasts) and all say the same thing. YOU NEED AN AUTHOR PLATFORM! YOU NEED AN EMAIL LIST!
But!
How is it possible? You can start a blog and try to give value. Sure. But what's the use of a blog if no one sees it? Why would someone want to join a mailing list if you haven't put your book out?

I really haven't been able to find that one guide to rule them all on how to exactly pull people off the internet to join your mailing list and to join your tribe. I feel a lot of the book marketing pros gained their mailing list because they are book marketers and authors want to follow them. But none of them can give solid advice for fiction authors wanting people to join  their lists.
Also, I don't have an amazing social media background. My facebook just comprises my family.
However, I have created a website, blog, twitter, and facebook for my author platform. I even offer a free short story to sign up to my emailing list. Now I just want to know how everyone here grew their mailing list before their first release. Is it even possible?

#2 ·
Stevie Collier said:
So, I have listened to and read over 40+ hours of book marketing (Youtube, audible, kindle books, websites, podcasts) and all say the same thing. YOU NEED AN AUTHOR PLATFORM! YOU NEED AN EMAIL LIST!
But!
How is it possible? You can start a blog and try to give value. Sure. But what's the use of a blog if no one sees it? Why would someone want to join a mailing list if you haven't put your book out?

I really haven't been able to find that one guide to rule them all on how to exactly pull people off the internet to join your mailing list and to join your tribe. I feel a lot of the book marketing pros gained their mailing list because they are book marketers and authors want to follow them. But none of them can give solid advice for fiction authors wanting people to join their lists.
Also, I don't have an amazing social media background. My facebook just comprises my family.
However, I have created a website, blog, twitter, and facebook for my author platform. I even offer a free short story to sign up to my emailing list. Now I just want to know how everyone here grew their mailing list before their first release. Is it even possible?
I'm sort of in the same phase as you, Stevie: research.

The impression I've drawn is that you want that stuff in place before you publish so it's already there and ready once you do. What if your first book goes gangbusters? You'll want that "infrastructure" in place, and not have to be distracted by building it after people want to visit it.

You are right: it's gonna be difficult to build a following without a product to base it on--other than family and friends, as you've noted--but I think even a handful of family and friends buying your book at the outset might help trigger something deep inside Amazon's algorithms.

Anyway, my prawny two-cents worth...

#3 ·
I've been at this for six years and it takes a lot of time and testing to find out what works. I was so green when I first published I did everything wrong. However, I eventually discovered that Facebook was my best friend.

Social media only works if you are creative there too. Sure, tell people about your book/upcoming or already published, but people on social media want something to talk about. Use your "other" love to draw people into the conversation - cars, sports, knitting, etc. After you do, you might just have a built in reader base when you finally publish something new. Run contests. I let my readers help me name characters in the book I'm currently writing. Then I share funny and interesting posts others have made - everything from old lady jokes to beautiful scenery. Do stay away from politics and religion, but then you know that.

It's a slow start to be sure and will take part of your everyday to keep in touch. Talk to them, all of them, welcome new friends and make your page colorful and informative. Make sure they can easily find your website, twitter, etc. You'll be surprised at how happy they are to actually talk to an author.

Best part - it's all free.

Hope this helps,
Marti

#4 ·
Get 3-4 books written and edited ready to drop, preferably in a series (not necessarily a continuing story but recurring characters or world). Have a huge campaign giving away that first in series and keeping them engaged. Wish I'd done this that way.

[Edit] also beta test the hell out of them before building your list. Or build a beta list first. Again, I wish I'd done that first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.