Author Topic: ACX for non-USA, UK Authors - Bad news  (Read 2222 times)  

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Texas (east and west)
    • View Profile
    • Joe Nobody Books
ACX for non-USA, UK Authors - Bad news
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
I just got off the phone with David, the person who manages our service for non-USA authors and audio books.

As in so many situations, it seems that a few bad apples are ruining it for the entire barrel.

According to ACX, a "much higher" percentage of our non-USA authors are attempting to commit fraud through Audible. This is causing the nice folks at ACX several serious issues, and they have asked us to stop signing up new accounts.

Existing accounts will NOT be impacted, and will continue to process as usual.

If you are one of the "bad apples," you will be hearing from ACX via your account.

This development is in no way a negative on ACX. They have supported our efforts above and beyond, and really worked with us in order to find a workable solution. One has to keep in mind that they have complex international tax and legal issues to deal with, and when nefarious individuals try to "game the system," it can have a huge impact on a large corporation.

So for those of you playing by the rules, this situation won't impact you at all. David and Elizabeth will continue to process your royalties as before. You shouldn't notice any changes.  We are simply not going to accept any NEW accounts.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: ACX for non-USA, UK Authors - Bad news
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
And just when I was about to revisit this whole thing.

If you are talking to ACX, why not tell them to stop buggering around and accept everyone in the world wherever they are?

Their situation is the same as Amazon, so why do they have a problem outside the US and UK? Doesn't make sense.

Edit: Why do they restrict like this? Its just so stupid. Is there a good reason?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:21:04 PM by TimothyEllis »

Offline EC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:36:39 AM »

If you are talking to ACX, why not tell them to stop buggering around and accept everyone in the world wherever they are?

Their situation is the same as Amazon, so why do they have a problem outside the US and UK? Doesn't make sense.

Edit: Why do they restrict like this? Its just so stupid. Is there a good reason?

Yes, complex international tax and legal issues.

@Joe Nobody - sorry to hear that, your ACX service has been a great boon to my income.

It's a pity that greedy, grasping clowns have wrecked it for authors not yet signed up.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »
Yes, complex international tax and legal issues.

Why is audiobooks different to eBooks? Should be the same. Amazon solved books, what makes audio different?

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
Why is audiobooks different to eBooks? Should be the same. Amazon solved books, what makes audio different?

I suspect because of the royalty share option.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:16 AM »
I just got off the phone with David, the person who manages our service for non-USA authors and audio books.

As in so many situations, it seems that a few bad apples are ruining it for the entire barrel.

According to ACX, a "much higher" percentage of our non-USA authors are attempting to commit fraud through Audible. This is causing the nice folks at ACX several serious issues, and they have asked us to stop signing up new accounts.

Ugh!  Sorry to hear it, man.  You're providing an awesome service to your fellow indies, so of course a few dirtbags have to take advantage of it and ruin it for the rest.

Making the undead fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
I suspect because of the royalty share option.

Why is that complicated?

Any half decent analyst with a few programmers should be able to sort that in a week, with their hands tied behind their backs.

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »

Existing accounts will NOT be impacted, and will continue to process as usual.

If you are one of the "bad apples," you will be hearing from ACX via your account.

This development is in no way a negative on ACX. They have supported our efforts above and beyond, and really worked with us in order to find a workable solution. One has to keep in mind that they have complex international tax and legal issues to deal with, and when nefarious individuals try to "game the system," it can have a huge impact on a large corporation.

So for those of you playing by the rules, this situation won't impact you at all. David and Elizabeth will continue to process your royalties as before. You shouldn't notice any changes.  We are simply not going to accept any NEW accounts.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to use your service but wanted to pop in and thank you for offering it.  I know more than one overseas author who has benefited from the opportunity.

I agree with the sentiments that Audible needs to get their gig straight ASAP. If KDP can do it so can Audible. Huge numbers of foreign authors would pile in and it would probably bring massive $$$ into the audible/amazon coffer. Until then, benefactors like Joe and his team are gold  :)

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:41 AM »
Oh, shoot.  :(

Thanks, Joe, for offering this service for as long as you did. Much appreciated.

Is there any other way for non-US indies to get an audiobook on Audible?

The Leafy Hollow Mysteries series is now available!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
Not trying to get an instruction manual here, but how do you commit fraud through Audible?

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
Not trying to get an instruction manual here, but how do you commit fraud through Audible?

Some kind of tax withholding thing I guess.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »

Some kind of tax withholding thing I guess.

There is that, or possibly cutting out the narrator with a 50/50 deal and not paying them???

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 05:14:53 AM »
Has anybody here worked with Author's Republic? And if you have, is their service as good as it sounds?

https://www.authorsrepublic.com/

Going over the fine print, I see they're an aggregator, like D2D for audiobooks, but they take 30% of your earnings in return for distributing your audiobook.

ETA: Since AR has no problem filing a tax form on behalf of non-US resident authors (just like Amazon, Kobo and Apple do), it shows that ACX could do the same if they really wanted to.

EETA: ebookit.com also works with non-US indies. You just fill out the tax form.  ::) They also have an option where you can list exclusively with audible, thus getting audible's 40% royalty instead of the 25% you get if you're non-exclusive.

I'd love for some audiobook experts to weigh in...  :)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:59:13 AM by Rickie Blair »

The Leafy Hollow Mysteries series is now available!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline Michael Eli Vineberg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
Has anybody here worked with Author's Republic? And if you have, is their service as good as it sounds?

https://www.authorsrepublic.com/

Going over the fine print, I see they're an aggregator, like D2D for audiobooks, but they take 30% of your earnings in return for distributing your audiobook.

ETA: Since AR has no problem filing a tax form on behalf of non-US resident authors (just like Amazon, Kobo and Apple do), it shows that ACX could do the same if they really wanted to.

EETA: ebookit.com also works with non-US indies. You just fill out the tax form.  ::) They also have an option where you can list exclusively with audible, thus getting audible's 40% royalty instead of the 25% you get if you're non-exclusive.

I'd love for some audiobook experts to weigh in...  :)

I've signed with Author's Republic and will let you know how it goes. They were my second choice, but apparently my call to Joe's company was about a day and a half too late. My book will be available at Amazon/Audible/iTunes, Audiobooks.com, Hoopla, Downpour, Overdrive, Findaway, Libro.FM, Audiobooks Now, Hummingbird Media, StoryTel, BookMate, and Audiomol. They give the author 70% of what is an average cut of 50% (according to them) of the price. So 35% on average of your listing price. Seven year contract, but you can bail after 6 months if you need/want to, so I'm quite happy with that. If ACX ever gets to other countries, I will just change my address and details, as I would have done with Joe and set up the transition with Author's Republic.   

Michael Eli Vineberg | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »
I've signed with Author's Republic and will let you know how it goes. They were my second choice, but apparently my call to Joe's company was about a day and a half too late. My book will be available at Amazon/Audible/iTunes, Audiobooks.com, Hoopla, Downpour, Overdrive, Findaway, Libro.FM, Audiobooks Now, Hummingbird Media, StoryTel, BookMate, and Audiomol. They give the author 70% of what is an average cut of 50% (according to them) of the price. So 35% on average of your listing price. Seven year contract, but you can bail after 6 months if you need/want to, so I'm quite happy with that. If ACX ever gets to other countries, I will just change my address and details, as I would have done with Joe and set up the transition with Author's Republic.   

Okay, maybe you can help me to understand this regarding that. If its 70% and they keep 30%.

Does audible take 50%, give 50% over to authors republic, and out of that 50% you take 70% and authors republic takes 30%?

So if they use a credit, $10. Republic gets $5, then gives you $3.50 and they keep $1.50

Is that correct?

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »

Tim i've already had that conversation with them and they give the same pat answer, even to the point of acting unprofessional via email. I'm now looking at the alternative called Authors Republic.

Offline 555aaa

• Near Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 11:57:38 PM »
Companies that aren't withholding the foreign tax on treaty countries like Australia are committing tax fraud. The US company is the withholding agent, so for example Joe's company should be withholding 5% of the share of royalty that it passes through to an Australian client because that's the royalty tax treaty rate if I recall correctly. When my company distributes audio for a foreign rights holder, we are doing it under license, so we will withhold based on the treaty rate, and there is no way to foist this off on the foreign author since they are under no legal obligation to file US taxes. The obligation is on the pass-through agent which is the company holding the contact with ACX.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 12:13:37 AM »
There is that, or possibly cutting out the narrator with a 50/50 deal and not paying them???
I have a 50/50 deal on my one audio book. I don't pay her; ACX does.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Michael Eli Vineberg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
Okay, maybe you can help me to understand this regarding that. If its 70% and they keep 30%.

Does audible take 50%, give 50% over to authors republic, and out of that 50% you take 70% and authors republic takes 30%?

So if they use a credit, $10. Republic gets $5, then gives you $3.50 and they keep $1.50

Is that correct?

Yes. Correct. With Joe it was basically the same thing but with 90% instead of 70%. That being said, Author's Republic isn't just a vehicle for ACX, which I think was the unique deal with Joe. 

Michael Eli Vineberg | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
Is there any other way for non-US indies to get an audiobook on Audible?

Incorporate a US company.

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

Offline 555aaa

• Near Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 10:32:46 PM »
You just need to work with a US producer / narrator who is willing to do the royalty split for you. I have done this as a producer for non-US authors. It's not like Joe's program; it's independent production. You still own the book rights and can always stop a misbehaving producer from profiting from your book as you can dispute their rights with ACX, but you have to trust them to be honest with you on the sales data (just like any publisher/author relationship).

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 12:35:58 AM »

A few years ago when I needed a way to do this, I wasn't allowed due to needing a US bank account. They said I needed a residence in the state I planned to use for office space. I went with Joe. Shame someone ruined that option.