Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Cover Opinion?  (Read 849 times)  

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
Cover Opinion?
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:01:30 AM »
My editor and I can't decide and I'm getting fussier over my covers since rebranding.

In the motorcycle romance genre, the reader will not confuse the title as Horror. MCs use nicknames so the reader in that genre will automatically know this is a nickname and not a (real) ghost.

The third picture is the branding control so you see why I am formatting the cover to look as it does (writing up the side). I needed the photo in grew scale to support the character description that he has hints of silver in his hair and stubble.

Opinions/criticisms always appreciated. So... Option 1? Option 2? Or...?

Online Lee Sutherland

• Los Angeles, CA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Cover Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:25:54 AM »
Not a huge fan of the typography.

Lee Sutherland | Twitter

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:35 AM »
My editor and I can't decide and I'm getting fussier over my covers since rebranding.

In the motorcycle romance genre, the reader will not confuse the title as Horror. MCs use nicknames so the reader in that genre will automatically know this is a nickname and not a (real) ghost.

The third picture is the branding control so you see why I am formatting the cover to look as it does (writing up the side). I needed the photo in grew scale to support the character description that he has hints of silver in his hair and stubble.

I am not sure why you are using that cover as your yardstick?

The best biker romance books have a grungy feel, a tattooed male, often a handscript brightly colored font, and a more professional finishing, like these ones:

If you need something urgently I do have a few covers that work for the genre (biker, bad boy and sports romance) in my premade galleries on this page:

https://ebookindiecovers.com/premade-ebook-covers-erotic-romance/

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:59:08 AM »
Not a huge fan of the typography.

The layout and not the font, right?

I wouldn't say I'm wedded to the layout, I just wanted to keep consistency. But I could play around with moving the vertical to horizontal.

I am not sure why you are using that cover as your yardstick?

The best biker romance books have a grungy feel, a tattooed male, often a handscript brightly colored font, and a more professional finishing, like these...

A yardstick only for consistency. As a stand-alone, it doesn't have to have that layout.

Thanks both!

Online plumstead

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 06:16:42 AM »
Since he's so small in frame, I don't get a sense of power, or the larger-than-life-bad-boy vibe I associate with MC romance. He's also too clean-cut. I suggest worrying less about nailing (TWSS!) the character's traits and focus on the feel of the genre.

Offline Starbright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »
The layout and not the font, right?

Yes, the font.

I think the covers look like they are "home-made", where the designer was thrilled to discover features of the design program which he/she then used with joy. Also not a fan of the vertical writing....

The difference between the covers that Melody posted is striking....

:-( ...sorry...

Writer-in-the-making

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:40:10 AM »
Yes, the font.

I think the covers look like they are "home-made", where the designer was thrilled to discover features of the design program which he/she then used with joy. Also not a fan of the vertical writing....

The difference between the covers that Melody posted is striking....

:-( ...sorry...

No apology necessary. I got rid of the vertical, shifted the layout and darkened the picture some. Much better feel to it and that's what I was looking for.

Offline Lou Harpr

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Design
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »

I'm sorry, but the typography is awful and the image itself is underwhelming. Melody's samples are great--that's what you should be shooting for.

Will Edwards

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
Can't say I like them - sorry - but, of the two, I prefer #1.

Offline liamashe

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • My Home Page
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »
I agree with consensus above. Melody's examples are crystal clear and impactful. I'm a first tie author but lifelong marketer and graphic designer, so take my advice for what you may feel it's worth. Be very careful with vertical text. It is difficult for the eye to read and gives the casual viewer a challenge finding where the eye should go first. If, for some reason, you *must* use vertical copy, consider creating a border along that edge of the book that sets the series name apart form the cover.
Elle Cunningham Mackay Mysteries | Emery Vaughn Thrillers
Liam Ashe | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram | Twitter

Offline HotCovers

• Contact Me for Cover Design. Even if on Budget!
    • View Profile
    • Hot Covers eBook Cover Design Services
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
Hi Laran, as has been mentioned the covers have a home-made or amateur feel to them. This shows in font use, layout and finish. This type of cover has some genre specific visual triggers that are missing in yours.

Edited. PM me if you have any questions. --Betsy/KB Mod
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:36:00 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
I'm sorry, but there's nothing about those three covers that codes "motorcycle club romance" to me. Using the letters MC isn't enough of a visual cue. I would gloss right over these titles if searching for a book to read in the genre.

Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).

Offline HotCovers

• Contact Me for Cover Design. Even if on Budget!
    • View Profile
    • Hot Covers eBook Cover Design Services
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »
Had an available premade MC bad boy romance cover to show you how to include commercial eye-candy design and a strong series branding. You need a cover that will sell your book designed in a way to grab people's attention and lead them to your story. Your branding should be a logo that appeals to and is understood by your genre market.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:19:14 AM by HotCovers »